Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Focus Sedan

Comments

• bowke28bowke28 Posts: 2,185
    this is one of my pet peeves!

when my customers leave with their new cars, they know them from top to bottom.

this practice of tossing the keys with the 3 c's is horrible. (c your keys...c your car...c ya later)
  • samie123samie123 Posts: 3
    I have a 4 dr. sedan. rear seat is a bench seat,can't fold foward because it hits backs of front seats,so can't fold rear seat backs down flat to use for large items.Ford should have made split rear seat so you could use at least one side like the passenger side by moving the seat up to the dash board. ford should have an option to have a split rear seat installed. Roger.
    you have an LX model, right?
    No, i have a 4 dr zts.But i'am talking about the rear seat cushion,it's a one piece unit, so if drivers seat is in use when i try to flip it up it hits the back of the front seat rendering it useless. so i cant use the function of a flat cargo area.
    ...like you need leg reduction surgery. im only 5'3", so send me the leftovers if you would, please. ;-)
    I would rather go for a bigger car, It's not that i don't appreciate your kind offer,but Thanks for trying. Roger.
    a good alternative would be a civic or sentra...they both offer split seats in back...as does the '05 focus.
  • markus5markus5 Posts: 102
    Perhaps a 2005 rear seat bottom could be easily retrofitted to the 2004 sedan. If so I might be monitoring the Junk yards for the first 2005 which comes in.
    the seatbacks arent compatible. the mechanisms and locks are in different places.
  • markus5markus5 Posts: 102
    I was asking about the seat bottoms only. On my 04 zts, one piece merely flips foreward from 2 front hinges. I was thinking of replacing the one piece with two so that full advantage could be taken of the 60/40 split seat back.
  • 3screwsloose3screwsloose Posts: 116
    We got it. We gotit! You are talking about the seat "cushion", not the "backrest". I have also noticed this peculiarity. All you need to do is pull the front seats all the way foreward and then try to drive - if you can still get in the car. As you mentioned a "split" cushion would help if you were hauling a long object and didn't need the area behind the drivers' seat - you could lay it on the right side, behind the passenger seat. Gotit!
    Side airbags can be either the "seat-mounted" airbags or the "side-curtain" airbags. They perform different functions. The "side-curtain" airbags are a step up from the "seat-mounted" airbags and work in conjunction with the "seats". "Side-curtains" - "curtains" help protect you head. "Seats" help protect your torso. You can't get the curtains w/o the seats. Nor would you want to. Together with the "front" airbags they are the state-of-the-art in airbag protection. Hardly anyone offers the curtains yet. However, after seeing the bone-crushing videos from the IIHS (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety). They show SUVS T-boning passenger cars and smaller SUVS. Because of the difference in bumper height of the vehicles, curtains make all the difference between a poor and a good rating.
    Don't count on the seats protecting you noggin.
    Hopefully, curtains will become more widely available in the near future. My '02 Passat has them standard.
    Incidentally, older "seats" are actually mounted in the B-pillar (the body post that runs from the roof to the floor) - where the door latch is. I first saw these on the '97 Mercedes. Now they are in the seatbacks to help when the seat is adjusted for short/long-legged people. It keeps the airbag close to you.
    in some cars, lincolns to be exact, the seat side airbags DO go all the way up.

and side curtain airbags are available on more than half the models of cars sold in the US.
    I didn't know that. I deal primarily w/Mercedes-Benz. I have seen the post-collision deflated airbags on the side and they look somewhat too small and short to protect the headbone. I just considered M-B as state-of-the-art or cutting-edge. I am not familiar w/Lincoln. I like 'em better when they are STANDARD. You don't have all that deciding to do when you are shoppng. I conside safety as a prime requisite.
    I noticed that too. My '04 ZTS had no LR liner. The other new cars were mixed and varied - some did/some didn't. I took it back and they put it on. When I drove, I could hear the rocks hitting the metal in the LR. Now it's right. Also I noticed the air deflector from the front bumper to the AC condensor had been "ripped" off the car - literally. The side brackets were there but somewhat torn. That is fixed now. No problemo. The service advisor assured me as did the salesman the car had not been wrecked. Anyway about 1/2 the other new cars had no LR liner. Who knows - maybe that guy took off that day and nobody filled in for him at the assembly plant.
    I can only guess that the RR HAD to have the line since the fuel filler pipe to the tank is there. No need on the LR 'tho. Purely a cost-cutting measure. Now that's a guess remember!
    My Passat had a recall to install an additional shield to protect the filler pipe in case of a tire blowout and subsequent tire disintegration that could cause a fire by breaking the filler pipe near the tank.
  • mschmalmschmal Posts: 1,757
    The keyless remotes on ford cars work as follows.

Once on lock: Silently locks all doors.

Twice on lock: all doors lock, horn chrips once if one of the doors is not completely closed, the horn will chrip 2xs to let you know.

once on unlock only unlocks driver's door

2xs on unlock unlocks the other doors.

Mark
  • Finally catching up on Edmunds and thought I'd reply to your:
    "Next on the agenda is snow tires. I've read several reports (verified by the GM at my dealership) this car really benefits from snows. Anybody have word on a good brand of 205/50/16 snow tires?"
    comment. My 03 ZTW with the 16 Pirellis was fine and dandy on the snow/ice this past NASTY North Dakota winter. I was shocked, as I'd been planning on steels and skinnys. Granted, they were pretty agressive on plowing out the roads up here this past winter, but still! I doubt the ESP and traction control and ABS and whatever had anything to do with it--I think the tires are way underrated IMHO.
    rr
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,690
    i think the second time you press the lock button, it activates the perimiter alarm.
    there is no perimeter alarm. the security is a passive anti-theft device, and is active when the doors are locked.
    my sticker lists a perimiter alarm for $125. i better have it. :)
    alarm. lots of dealers add them.
  • My '04 ZTS has both. A perimeter (active), and a microchip in the key (passive). Also, the turn signals flash when setting/locking the car w/the keyless-entry remote.
    yes...the turn signals flash when you lock them.

the "perimeter" alarm is the passive one i told you about, unless your dealer added it aftermarket. was it on the monroney sticker or a seperate sticker?
  • mschmalmschmal Posts: 1,757
    There are 2 "alarm" systems available for the focus.

Securelock is the standard system on all Focuses (Foci?) Securelock features a chip in the ignition key that has a code stored on it. there are over 7.2 quadrillion (7,200,000,000,000) codes. Only a key with the correct code can start the car. (an improper code may start the car but the engine will shut off in approximately 4 seconds). The computer allows only 3 ignition keys to exist at any time. This system is always "on" in New Jersey, Securelock is in the category of "Passive armored fuel cutoff switch" and qualifies for a 15% reduction in comprehensive premiums.
    A key cut at a hardware store will unlock doors and turn in the ignition but will not start or allow operation of the vehicle unless the key is first coed.
    To code a key, all current keys must be present when the new key is coded. Any keys not present will no longer start the car.
    If a key is lost, the remaining keys can be recoded so that the lost key no longer starts the engine.

The second alarm system is the optional perimeter alarm. It is activated when ever the doors are locked. When activated, the alarm will trip if a door or the hood is forced open or if a window is broken. This alarm protects interior contents, while securlock protects the vehicle itself from theft.

The 2 systems are separate.

Mark
    i guess i got something for my $125. :)
    included in the last fillup was a 100 mile mostly highway trip(5 occupants). got about 32 mpg for that tank(2.3 5 speed).
  • andyman73andyman73 Posts: 368
    I recently saw a photo of the next gen Focus. Looked pretty agressive. Was from a car show in China. Pic was in current issue of Motortrend or C and D, or something(I get 5 different car rags). Has anyone else seen this pic? Was sea greenish/blueish in color. Is it a concept or prototype, or the real deal? I hope it's real. I like those looks.
  • mpgmanmpgman Posts: 723
    An earlier post said you wouldn't want side curtains without the side seat air bags or you couldn't get it. Correct for Ford, but not for Saturn and maybe some others. Saturn offers the curtains only and no side seat air bags. They claim they don't do much and some kids have been seriously injured getting wedged when they deployed. Just being the messenger.
  • mpgmanmpgman Posts: 723
    Just sat in a new Mazda 3 hatch...the alleged forerunner to the new Focus on the Volvo S40 platform. Is this the last year for the current Focus design? That might make a difference in my decision to buy a Focus wagon this year, even though I have an offer of around $17,500 with every option available for factory order on a SES ZTW. Thanks.
    last year?!?! this is the FIRST year, dude.

BTW, the article about the chinese focus was in autoweek, and its set to stay in asia.
  • andyman73andyman73 Posts: 368
    Too bad! Maybe I could move there. NOT! Tis nice to dream.