Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Focus Sedan

Comments

• creakid1creakid1 Posts: 2,032
    Oh no, we need to be competitive in the fuel-economy area, especially when most Focus buyers here are bunch of cheapskates. So instead of having efficient engines like Honda's, let's just pull out the belt-driven hydraulic power-steering pump.

This original Euro classic now doesn't just look domestic. It's as boring to steer as well!

http://www.carpages.ca/go/roadtest/2008_ford_focus_coupe_road_test.aspx

"Moving to the new design, some of the ingredients have changed, such as the conversion to electrical power steering...
    Though much is the same, the new Focus has a different character than the old one, a more sober, mature character. The steering maintains the effortless, light feeling of the old car, but it's less hyperactive. While still precise it feels slightly dulled when going straight ahead, something I'd chalk up to the setup of the electrical power steering to require less inputs when driven at high speeds on the highway and fewer kickbacks from the wheel. The conversion to an electric rack also leaves the wheel mostly devoid of feedback, an area which the old Focus was very strong. The Focus' handling has also been tweaked fairly substantially to increase its stability. The new model now reacts neutrally to input, safely understeering its way out of problem situations, which is in sharp contrast to the current car's desire to oversteer upon throttle lift-off or when trail braking. Our Sport Package equipped Coupe tester featured a rear stabilizer bar for a slightly flatter ride, but there's still a fair deal of body roll."

So you don't get to play oversteer w/ this high-tech Control Blade rear suspension anymore? Our fun playful puppy has died :cry:
  • mschmalmschmal Posts: 1,757
    Please refrain from making comments based on biased fiction instead of Facts.

The 2.0L in the Focus has a combined EPA of 28 mpg. The 1.8L in the Civic has a combined EPA of 29 mpg. Hardly much of a difference when you consider that the Focus has a 4 speed auto vs the 5 speed auto in the Civic. Focus has a bigger engine (more torque) and has 2 cubic feet more in the passanger compartment and in the truck.

www.fueleconomy.gov

:P

Mark
    More low-end torque should meant even higher mpg. As shown in other manufacturers' results, such as the 2.8 BMW gets better mpg than the 2.5 BMW if they are both tuned to have the same high-end hp.

Consumer Reports' real-world testing has been consistently complaining about Focus' low mpg, even after switching to Mazda-ized engines. While these Mazda-ized engines used in the Focus are tuned to have stronger low-end torque & weaker high-end hp than the ones used in the Mazda3, CR's real-world testing praised the 2.0 Mazda3 for having the best mpg!

My torquiest Focus engine -- the ST 2.3 -- feels weaker than my '98 Corolla 1.8 at low rpm. I get 40mpg cruising my 5-sp Corolla LE on the fwy, while my 5-sp Focus ST can't even come close.

Despite all that, I still hated my Corolla due to the poor steering, handling, ride & driving position. That's why I got rid of it & bought the Focus ST. How many people in (the "badge snob") S. California do that? ;)
    I really wish Ford would dump 4 speed autos. It doesn't hurt so much in the Focus as in other vehicles.

The new 08 Escape actually gets lower MPG than the bigger Edge!

I know Ford is retooling a plant in Mich to make more 6F trans and they already have excess 3.5L capacity so that is coming to the Escape. But by then the competition will have moved on also.

FORD LETS GET THE STUFF TO MARKET!

Mark
    "A first for Ford is the firm’s new PowerShift gearbox, which is similar to VW’s DSG semi-automatic transmission. Using twin clutches, it pre-selects the next gear, allowing faster changes. The six-speed ‘box can be used as a full automatic, or with steering wheel-mounted paddles. It goes on sale in spring, costing around £950."

http://newsletter.autoexpress.co.uk/c/11YilAnl46M46Jh

Ford thinks that Focus buyers in America are bunch of cheapskates that don't deserve the best transmission. So only people overseas get it.

But heck, I don't care 'cause I drive stick.

"Following in the footsteps of the hatchback range, this is the first picture of the new Focus saloon (below left). Getting the same Mondeo-style looks as the three and five-door cars, the booted car features a revised tail with a fresh bumper and LED lights. Unlike the hatches, it will only be available with 1.6, 1.8 and 2.0-litre diesel engines, as well as 1.6 and 2.0 petrols."

http://newsletter.autoexpress.co.uk/c/11YilAnl46M46Jh
    Click the lower right picture to see the sedan.

I still think my 2.3 "classic" Focus ST rules, in terms of looks, normally aspirated power & handling fun!
    http://www.gulfcoastnews.com/RT2005FordFocus.htm

Having the old Mondeo nose
    http://www.wheels24.co.za/Wheels24/Galleries/w24_GalleriesModelPicDisplay/0,,675- - - - -13649,00.html
    looks more cool than having the new Mondeo nose, IMO.
    http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2007/02/geneva-preview-2008-ford-mondeo-full.html
  • The Firestone mechanic who tried to correct premature rear tire wear said that he can not adjust the rear camber because Ford didn't create a way. I like this car otherwise, but the ride is killing me. Are there any reasonable solutions?
    It continues to surprise me how many people never learned to rotate their tires.

I suspect though that you might have something else going on. Usually its the front tires that take the beating, especially on a front drive car.

Incidently, the Focus and the Civic have a 4 wheel independant suspension.
    the Corolla and the Sentra/Versa do not have independant rear suspension.

You want a better ride, you need to get a car with a longer wheel base.

Mark.
  • Has you car been lowered? There is no reason you should be having either a poor ride or rear camber wear, unless the car has been improperly lowered or the struts are shot. The solution is putting the correct springs in or replacing the worn struts.

Proper tire rotation is essential as well, but that will not effect the ride.

Also, you can buy a camber kit so as to be able to adjust the rear camber, but that will not effect ride either.

One of the reason I love the Focus is the supple ride combined with great handling.
  • tkfitztkfitz Posts: 95
    Just bought a 2007 SE. Great deal with all the rebates. So far about 400 miles on the car. It is not quite what I am used to, but a fun car to drive. I hope it lasts like my last Ford.
    2007 Focus Sedan
    SE package
    Safety package
    Moon roof
    cruise tilt etc...
    Already at 34 MPG.....only first tank of gas....
  • Granted, usually it is the front tires that get ate up on FWD cars, but my Focus ZTW wagon (and I suspect other Foci) have such light rear ends that they cup tires in short order. This causes the whump, whump, whump, so many folks complain about and there just aint a damn thing you can do about it, other than carry sand bags in the trunk. I rotate my tires every 5k and after about 10-12k (for the whichever two are in the back) they are shot. Minor issue for me, the car handles like a bat out of hell, so no worries. :shades:
  • There is something wrong with your alignment if you are cupping tires. Having a light rear end has nothing to do with it. I've got 15,000 miles on my tires and neglected the rotation until 14,000. The backs looked like new, no cupping at all.

Keep in mind that factory alignments are pretty rough, and even the "factory specs" are fairly loose. I always find a good shop who is willing to get them tightly in the middle.
  • tkfitztkfitz Posts: 95
    You might have more luck with tires more suited to your style of driving. My Focus came with Hankook tires that seem to have a lot of room for improvement. I will certainly look for a better tire when I replace these.
  • markus5markus5 Posts: 102
    :) On the Focus ZX3 Forum some months back "Tire Recommendations", I related that some of the issues with replacement tires for my car. Original equipment Pirellis all-season were just marginal and were off the car at probably less than 20k ( all-season tires are not very good winter tires at that point). Ordering 4 Dunlop Graspic winter tires with the 195-60/15 wheels from Tire-Rack, has been the best accessory I ever purchased. On the other hand, The Koumo "Exta" summer high performance Tires was not a very good choice. Fortunately only 2 of those were purchased, and placed on the rear. After one season they were cupped pretty badly. Moving them to the front for the next season they were extremely noisy. They were replaced last April by 4 BFG "G-Sport" . they are a superior Summer tire and seem to be wearing well.
    Perhaps the reason that so many Focus drivers claim their cars "handle well" is directly attributable to the rear suspension architecture, which the engineers claim is "passive 4-wheel steering", using the tires more effectively to maintain driver control.
    Fun for the driver. But if you want to play, you will have to pay (a little for it in this case). Having a fun car to drive is important. :)
  • "Perhaps the reason that so many Focus drivers claim their cars "handle well" is directly attributable to the rear suspension architecture, which the engineers claim is "passive 4-wheel steering", using the tires more effectively to maintain driver control.
    Fun for the driver. But if you want to play, you will have to pay (a little for it in this case). Having a fun car to drive is important."

Agreed. And, even though another reader disagrees, putting some more weight in the rear. Passed a Focus sedan on the way to Orlando on Christmas Eve with the LR tire just bouncing along happy as can be. That's what causes cupping. I had the same issues with an old GTI back in the 80s. Cars with light rear ends suffer the malady. However, most of those cars handle like bats out of hell, and tires cupping is a small price to pay for a great handling car, at least from my perspective... :shades:
  • robflarobfla Posts: 4
    Last car was a 2004 Pontiac Vibe. Sold it and bought this car new. Paid 13,300 with a 5-spd trans. The focus drives like a sports car, no doubt about it. At 500 miles a large amount of oil began leaking from the engine into my driveway. The dealer diagnosed a inccorectly machined "engine rivet" from the factory. He called it a "rivet and showed it to me on the block, but it has a different technical term. The dealer kept the car for a few days to repair. No leaks since.But was a bad sign, nonetheless. The front tires were out of balance from the start. Dealer re-balanced them. Their is a chronic creak-squeak from the rear springs/axle area. Of course, the dealer cannot seem to find the problem.Its embarassing sometimes to put the groceries in the back seat and the car grunts.Its going back to the dealer soon for this. I purchased the 5 year extended warranty and 4 year premium maintanance plan. Thinking this would cover just about everything.The dealer shop rep exhausted himself telling me i would have to pay hundreds of dollars extra in the future for dealer recomended items. I know better and debated him on this.He backed down, but was a waste of time and showed a lack of professionalism on his part. I was their to have my car fixed under warranty, not have him try to score a bonus for ripping me off with sleezy sales tactics.I realy like this car so far, only 3000 miles and plan to keep it for many years.OH, by the way, This car is getting 22-23 city driving and 28mpg on the highway. Far below what ford claims. I cant believe the post from people getting 30mpg.
  • Sorry 2 hear about your car issues. My loaded 03 ZTW just passed 36K and has had ZERO problems, other than a battery (which leaked after 4 years, corroding the cable, which needed to be replaced). Batteries only last 2 years in FL, and I had this one for 1 1/2 years in ND + 2 1/2 in FL, so 4 years was awesome (corroding the cable sucked, though...) I went to Autozone and sprayed some of that red gunk on the positive terminal and will now check it every 1k for corrosion--that ain't happening again!
    Re: MPG, I pump my tires up to 35 and will get 35 on the highway easy. Normal around town is 26 (only a little bit of stop and go in my commute). Not bad for an automatic tranny wagon with fat tires.
    Rick
  • Darn it! I replaced the valve cover gasket last week, and when I pulled the spark plug wires to allow me to remove the valve cover, I found heavy rust in the spark plug wells again! :confuse: (didn't actually see any water this time!). I had to repeat the process of cleaning the spark plugs and boots, and coating same with silicone.

I have not sprayed down the engine since the last time this occurred, so I am completely baffled as to how water is getting in there!

By the way, the valve cover gasket had become so brittle in the front (above the exhaust manifold), that it crumbled as I was trying to remove it. What a fine selection of a gasket material :mad:
  • spolowyspolowy Posts: 3
    We bought new, now with 44000. have had tires replaced (dry rot, sand, etc.) brake dust issues all the way around from the start. Just replaced the brakes, rotors all the way around, now intake manifold gaskets and tubes. also new timing belt tensioner. (they said it was a rare thing to break) Have kept up on oil changes and would like the car to keep going for a few more years. All Ford dealer serviced. Are these issues a sign of more to come or do you think we are okay? advice? Thanks in advance, love the site!
  • rapidrickrapidrick Posts: 70
    "intake manifold gaskets and tubes. also new timing belt tensioner"

I'd venture those items are pretty uncommon, even for a car with 88k on it, but sometimes that's just the way it is--I wouldn't get too concerned. My ZTW is coming up on 40K and, besides tires, had a battery leak & corrode, which took out the cable :cry: Other than that, car is a champ--so much so, spousal unit passed up a new Lincoln MKX (whew--real issues with those, I hear :sick: ) to let me buy a new car (got a Volvo C30 on order), so she can drive the Silver Bullet! :)

Man, do I love that girl!

PS--next oil change, I'm putting Mobile1 in--this city driving demands it!
  • spolowyspolowy Posts: 3
    Sounds good. thanks. since repaired it idles at in park worse :mad: . it has been probably the best car we ever owned, so i would hate to see it crap out. I am already regretting the day to spend 20-30k on something half as good which is why my research has now started. any input would be appreciated. :)
  • toonpainttoonpaint Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Ford Focus sedan 4 dr. 2.3 engine. I was overseas for 8 months and my father in law didnt bother to start the car even once for me. I came back and stuck the battery on the charger for a day or so. It reads charged and a good battery. When I put it back in the car..the radio will run, the buzzers and wipers work but It dont click or even crank for me. I am a single female with no men around to help me figure this out...I am at a loss. I want to travel home to see my family but without this car I am stuck in the boonies...What could the problem be?
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,851
    A reporter from a large newspaper is looking to speak to consumers who traded-in a larger vehicle for a small compact car to save money on gas, but spent money on options to get something more comfortable and appealing. If you’re interested in speaking to the reporter, please contact Chintan Talati at ctalati@edmunds.com with your daytime contact information no later than July 9, 2008.

Thanks,
    Chintan Talati
    Edmunds.com
    Corporate Communications

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• sathyanssathyans Posts: 1
    Cruise control not working
    Car: 2007 Ford Focus SE

I bought a used Focus (only powertrain warranty) which has the buttons for cruise control. I did not test cruise control during my test drive so don't know if it ever worked. Everything else works fine.
    When I turn on the cruise control I get no response - the speedcontrol light on the dash does not illuminate. If I press "set/acc" and take my foot off the gas, the car does not hold its speed.

I've checked the following:
    -checked fuse #53 inside and #29 under hood - appear to be in good condition
    -all three brake lights work

Is there anything else to check? Or do myself (with no specialized tools or skills)?

How much could it cost to have the cruise control fixed?

thanks,
    Sathyan
  • scape2scape2 Posts: 4,119
    ;) About 3 months ago I bought my daughter an 07 Focus 4door SE automatic. The car had about 15K miles. At the same time a close friend bought thier daughter a "cooler" 06 Civic LX automatic with about 20K miles. At a get together the Dad actually got cocky and said to me the Civic would last longer and be more reliable than a Focus any day, plus the resale would be better. Knocked him down on the resale bit, when he told me he paid about $2,600 more than I did! The funny part is we talk to these folks and visit each others homes all the time. He tried to hide it from me that the Civic had 2 issues, A/C went out about 2 weeks ago, and one of the Power windows stopped working!! The Focus has about 18K now and not one issue. This just solidifies my view on Honda's "Legendary reliability".. LOL@!@
    I'm an owner an '07 Focus ST, which already has the sport suspension. Lately I rode in a Civic LX coupe w/ std suspension & felt like being punished by the nervous stiff ride.

Why don't you guys swap the cars for a few minutes & show the Civic owner how "limo-like" a compact Focus SE glides over bumps, although it is the Focus SES's suspension that has a more balanced set up w/ less body roll.

& I doubt the Civic's steering feel can match the '07 Focus' European-design system.

With powerplant developed by Mazda, there's no doubt that your Focus will last long enough to see his high-resale Civic worth "only" $2000. Even if your Focus will worth almost nothing by then, he will still never get his $2600 back :D
    Yeah and don't forget that you WON"T have to pay for a timing belt anytime either.
  • Have the dealer install a rear shim kit. I went through 3 sets of tires by 45000, had the kit installed no more trouble. Currently have 73500 mi on car with the tires I put on at 45000 with lots of life left on the tires. Good Luck. Worked for me.
  • scape2scape2 Posts: 4,119
    has been a great car. Very overlooked on purpose in my opinion by the media. Civic has an image advantage over the Focus. When people are educated and actually drive a Focus they can see they get a great little car for a very fair price. They don't have to pay the extra $$ for image. Took my daughters Focus on a 300mile trip and at speeds of 70mph we averaged 38MPG! with the AC on at that! ;)
  • "Have the dealer install a rear shim kit. I went through 3 sets of tires by 45000, had the kit installed no more trouble. Currently have 73500 mi on car with the tires I put on at 45000 with lots of life left on the tires. Good Luck. Worked for me. "

Greetings. What kind of Focus do you have?
  • So one of my front coil springs snapped a few weeks ago and I had both replaced under Ford extended warranty program for these.

THEN, next day, Rear LH coil spring snaps.

Has anyone had this problem; assume Ford will not cover since their letter pretty specific to front.

Just seems like quite the coincidence?