Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Expedition Screaming Noise in Front

nalapombunalapombu Member Posts: 2
edited August 2014 in Ford
Hey all,

I have a 2003 Expedition Eddie Bauer with AWD/4WD with the 5.4 engine. It has 60,000 miles on it and has ran great for a long time.

The other day it started making a sound that I have never heard a car make before. When you are driving down the road when you hit about 25 mph a pronounced SQUEALING or SCREAMING type of noise comes from what seems to be the FRONT end, DRIVERS SIDE tire area. It is a continuous noise and will not stop unless I slow down to less than 5 mph or stop. As soon as I accelerate, it's there again. It is EASILY heard by passing cars too.

My step dad and I have been trying to figure it out. He is VERY good mechanically. The vehicle shifts into other gears smoothly, revving the engine doesn't make a bit of difference in the noise. I have switched it into all the different 4wd modes with no change at all. I have switched on and off everything I can in the interior to see if it makes any difference in the sound and it does not. Today we replaced the front brake shoes and that didn't change anything. It was due anyway.

It doesn't really sound like a grinding, just a high pitched squeal. My Step dad said it reminds him of blowing up a balloon and then pinching the rim of the balloon and letting the air out. You know that sound right? Well that's what I have whenever I am over 15mph.

There are no other strange noises. The motor revs and runs great and sounds great. Neither of us can detect any problems what so ever with the tranny. It simply sounds like there is something right behind the front end drivers side wheel that is causing the horrid noise.

Can anyone help us figure out what is going on here? Any similar experiences with yours?

Thanks for your help and time.

Nalajr

Comments

• tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    You may want to post that in the existing Ford Expedition Noises discussion for greater visibility.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • inj42trukinj42truk Member Posts: 1
    I'm not an expert, but this sounds typically like the power steering pump screaming for more fluid to perform it's duty. I'm sure you have checked the fluid level in the power steering reservoir? If that's not the problem, then you might check the air conditioner pulley/bearing. When the bearing gets worn, it tends to scream and whine. Also check tension on the serpentine belt, if it's loose and slipping, it will make a lot of noise and scream at you as well.
  • tyshauntyshaun Member Posts: 13
    Funny that you mention that cause I had experienced the same problem about a few years ago but the thing about it, it only happens when its cold outside, like freezing temperatures. It never makes that sound when its nice weather. Also it only happens once in a blue moon, around winter time. i tried to speak with many mechanics and even ford technicians, but noone seems to know whaty it is. If anything comes up or i find out any information on this issues, ill be sure to get back to you. By the way the sound is a whining screaming noise but it also sounds like that whining sound that comes from a 747 boeng airplane getting ready to take off lol.
  • alwaysfords2alwaysfords2 Member Posts: 339
    that's just the turbo spooling up.
  • intellsurfintellsurf Member Posts: 2
    hi need a transmission for a 1997 dodge grand caravan 3.0 v6 auto no ovrdrive i live in central cal san luis obispo co i you have a good deal anyone please mail back thans
  • alwaysfords2alwaysfords2 Member Posts: 339
    That should work out really well for you here in an Expedition discussion forum.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Check out Chrysler/Plymouth Voyager, Dodge Caravan. :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • ebexpeditionebexpedition Member Posts: 1
    Were you able to figure out what the squealing noise is? My parent's Eddie Bauer Expedition is doing the same thing and the sound is coming from the same spot as the one that you reported. The mechanic was unable to figure it out yesterday. It also doesn't help that he told my mum that he can't hear high pitch noises!
  • capriracercapriracer Member Posts: 907
    In addition to the power steering pump being dry - which the mechanic should have looked for - and found! - another possibility is a crack in one of the hoses leading to the intake manifold. This can make such a noise as described and would be very difficult to detect with the vehicle stationary. The mechanic has to flex the hoses to discover it.
This discussion has been closed.