Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buick Regal

Comments

• spdycindyspdycindy Posts: 4
    Thanks so much, I'm going to give it a try.
  • I just had my oil changed on my 1996 Buick Regal, and now the oil light has come on. The one that's red when it lights up and looks like a dripping oil canister? Any suggestions what's causing this? Thanks.

tjbrook1974@yahoo.com :sick:
  • jipsterjipster Posts: 5,345
    If the light stays on you need to get it checked out by mechanic asap. Per owners manual, "This(light)indicates that oil is not going through your engine quickly enough to keep it lubricated."

Of course the first thing to do is check your oil level. I've read of instances where oil change techs have forgotten to tighten the drain plug, as well as install new oil after draining out the old.
  • jjwwjjww Posts: 2
    I bought a 99' Regal LS (96k miles)today for $3600. The mechanic told me there was minor oil plan gasket leakage. The part costs $50 and labor is $375. ($425 in total). Is the price reasonable? Shall I have it fixed right now? It is my first car and I have no idea about the oil plan gasket.

Thanks in advace!
  • tsu670tsu670 Posts: 293
    One would think all one needs to do is remove the dozen or so bolts holding up the oil pan and install a new gasket, right? But I checked my Haynes manual and, no, there appears to be much more to the job.

It calls for the removal of something called the driveplate inspection cover and starter, if necessary, to disconnect the electrical connector from the oil level sensor; and to disconnect the engine torque strut; and to disconnect the exhaust pipe and catalytic converter from the engine; and to disconnect the pipes leading to the oil cooler; well, there's more, but do I need to go on?

So, yeah, looks like the labor charge is reasonable. As far as getting it fixed right now, well, I guess that depends on how often you need to add oil (keep a log).
  • bporter1bporter1 Posts: 229
    I have not experienced that one (yet), but my driver info center is going dim. I already do not have a climate control display. I do not think it is a bulb, because the odometer is a digital diplay. Good luck, and keep us posted in what you find.
  • jjwwjjww Posts: 2
    Thank you so much!
  • markdel23markdel23 Posts: 1
    I had a 2001 Regal (3800 V6) that would stall right after you started it. I changed the fuel pressure regulator and that fixed it.
  • I recently purchased a new set of the steering wheel radio controls for my 99 regal, the old ones came offwit out a fight. but now i cant get the new ones on, the wires they conect to inside the wheel are too short and wont come out. I have tried to use needle nose pliers but no luck on getting the new controls connected. does anyone have any tips or tricks on connecting them? PLEASE HELP! its driving me crazy trying to connect them>
  • Has anyone had experience with getting their keyless remote sending unit replaced in their cars? Mine was on the decline for a year+, going from being able to trigger it at 30-40 feet to having to put it up against the car window to (a couple of weeks ago) not working anymore. Can't complain...it lasted 150,000 miles before dying.

I'd had the keyfob itself (the only one I had with the car) checked and reprogrammed by a friend at a local GM dealership and it was ok. I was told then that replacing the unit if/when that became necessary would run nearly $400 for both the unit and new key fob + programming.

Is there a cheaper way around this repair? Is it something done just as well in a cheaper shop or is removing this unit somehow (thanks to evil GM engineers) as tied in to the car's system as our brain is to ours?
    It could be something in the car's circuitry (rare), but I might suggest replacing the battery in the key fob first. Cheap fix (a little surprising your friend didn't do this; or maybe he did). You can pry the two halves of the key fob apart to remove it. I usually get my key fob batteries at Wal-Mart at the jewelry counter.

If that doesn't solve the problem, and you believe it is a faulty key fob, try finding a new one on eBay. My son bought a used Century and it only came with only one, so I got him another from there. Came with battery and programming instructions. Prices vary. Sometimes you'll see one with a starting bid at $.99 plus shipping, others for upwards of $30 + s/h. I think I won a bid at $14 + s/h. Be sure to ask the seller before bidding what the GM part number is on the back so you can compare to yours. Also before bidding, you can view "Completed Listings" to see what others have been paying. If you need help with reprogramming the key fob, I've got the instructions somewhere.

Otherwise, if you think the fob is okay, then it must be something more serious in the car itself and definitely out of my league.
  • tonyf2tonyf2 Posts: 24
    This is the responce to the message deleted on 8-20-2006 on transmission problems.

My warranty is for 36mo/50k miles on parts and labor.

A commemt to the Host, why was my postings deleted on "transmission problems"?
  • Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,032
    Not deleted, but moved to Buick Regal: Transmission. My apologies for the confusion!

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

• Sounds like you have a great warranty at least with yours. It sounds like my post (reply) was deleted maybe. Perhaps it was because I was replying to a reply from me. If that makes sense.
  • Well, I was driving today and rock hit the windshield in such a way that a large crack was the result. Needless to say I was angry. It will be replaced tomorrow morning, but man what a bummer. Oh well, stuff happens. On another note, my DIC display finally bit the dust, just another electrical glitch in my car.
    my DIC display finally bit the dust.

Thats not to bad. My display on my '99 Regal LS went out about 3 weeks after buying it in April of '04.
  • the compressor will not kick on, no power to clutch, tried to bypass the pressure switch to get compressor started, replaced relay and check fuses, have seen issues with the control module inside, any help?
  • I am having problems with the frontal a/c vents staying on.
    The a/c routing will randomly move to the windshield and then also randomly back to the frontal vents.
    Before tearing the dash apart I decided to check the vacuum.
    The manual says check it at the throttle body but didn't say what it should be. I thought it might be less than normal since the supercharger may have some effect. I checked and it has 10.5 lbs of vacuum ??? Any help would be appreciated. Ed
  • Test drove a 2001 GS with 49K miles. Could not get any boost whatsoever, the reading was always 0.0. The guy said that he would have it looked at and fixed, but I am leery - is this a common occurence? With less that 50K miles, having a problem like this concerns me. Would a low SC oil level cause 0 boost? How about if the used dealer did not put in premium?

What kind of questions should I ask? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!
  • rhinncrhinnc Posts: 66
    The type of gas has nothing to do with the supercharger per se. It does affect the performance however.

Could you feel a boost even though the indicator read 0.0?

My wifes 2000 Regal w/supercharger has not had premium since it hit 3.50/gal. Te be honest I can not tell that much difference. The car has 84.5K miles.
  • Thanks for the reply...

I drove a 2000 GS about a year ago, and this car drove nothing like that one did - so I would say that I could not feel the boost at all.

I wanted to ask about the gas because used car dealerships are cheap enough to put in regular gas instead of premium on a car they are trying to sell. Thanks for ruling that out!

Are there any specific questions I should ask their service department? (they are a Buick dealership)
  • i have a 98 LS, nice car and all. It was a hand-me-down from my dad. At the time of purchase, i tried to get my father to spring for the GS [knowing the car would be mine when i got my license]... but he didnt. He wanted to max out whatever he could on a trade in and pay the minimum.

So ive always wondered, how much faster is a GS? I love the big 3.8L engine, the 0-30 time is real quick, gets off the line fast. But after that it makes some loud noises and loses steam real fast. @ about 126k, i estimate my 0-60 to be in the upper 7's ... this is just a estimation. IIRC, the GS has 240hp ... and more torque? I believe my LS has 200/220 [hp/tq] ... which is pretty tame for this car.

let me know, THANKS!!
    Yeah, the GS has 240hp, has more torque, and is faster off the line. Thing is, if you're a younger driver (still under 25), well, maybe being fast off the line isn't what you should be needing in a car right now. If you do spring for a GS you might want to first check with your insurance agent to see what kind of difference it would make in your premium. Frankly, driving an LS is cool enough, doesn't require premium gas, might be less likely to generate speeding tickets, and you don't have to worry about the additional mechanics of a supercharger.

Inasfar as your '98 making loud noises and losing steam, perhaps it is time to check things like plugs, wires, pc valve, fuel filter, fluids and other routine maintenance items if you haven't already done so. :D
  • I have an 86 GN, rebuilt engine, turbo and trans. 11.90 qt.mile. Very fast, very solid machine. Problem... I disconnect the bat. when the car sits too long. Reconnect and the gas tank leaks. what's the problem? Leave the bat. connected, no leak. HELP.
  • Ok Ive changed both wheel hub asembleys and roters and pads but the noise is still their. now what are we looking at as the problem. Its allmost like a nocking noise, only happens if wheel is slightly to the left and not accelorating or brakeing just coasting go's away when wheel is turned slightly to the right. This is a 2000 buick regal ls 3.8L non turbo with about 90,000
    This is not really a problem, but a curiosity. I get sand kicked up into my 99 Regal LS's engine compartment while driving. Collects on battery, support railings around the oil cap etc. My only real concern about this is that it does get around the oil cap and I have to be careful with oil changes. Anyone else ever notice this? No flood damage or accidents, clean Carfax... have had this vehicle for almost 3 years and is still very reliable (knock on wood) and enjoyable to drive.
  • rhinncrhinnc Posts: 66
    I've noticed this since my wife bought her Regal back in 2001.
  • i picked up a 1998 regal GS when i was 23, and my insurance went down about 150 dollars a year from the 1989 lesabre T-type i had before... i dont know if it was because i was older or because of the 4 doors.
  • Sorry if I am posting this in the wrong area. I am new at this. I have a Buick Regal 128000miles RUNS GREAT after I just replaced the Alternator. Anyway I tried my heater and it is no longer working. It was working just a few days ago. I checked for leaks. I checked the heater core hoses to see if they may be plugged but I am getting plenty of heat from the hoses so I assume the core is fine. I am not sure where to look from here. Possibly a valve of some sort or Actuator? And where is it located and how do I get under there to do it. I would hate to pay someone $200+ for something I can figure out on my own with a little help.

Thanks in Advance

Bob
  • bporter1bporter1 Posts: 229
    I have a 99 Buick Regal, and I have noticed that my engine compartment has sand in it, and on it. My car has 122K miles.