Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buick Regal

Comments

• While the Regal GS is a steal for the money. I had the opportunity to have some fun at GMs Auto Show In Motion, where you can really run GM and some other cars thru some rigorous paces. In the sedan area the GS (I will abuse theirs, not mine) handled horrible as compared to the Deville DTS and the Seville STS. Even the Bonneville SSEi could not keep the pace. IMHO the STS outhandled the Saab 9.3 wagon, BMW 3 series, Lexus flagship sedan through the course they had set up.
  • The handling on the GS is not that bad. Atleast on my '01 it isn't. Get rid of those junkyear tires and it does improve alot. Yes, there still is a little body roll, but how often do you take a car through a course like that though?? You just have to know where the cars limit is at before the [non-permissible content removed] end swings out on you or it keeps going in a straight line. Look at it this way.. Compare the cars of today and the cars of say 30 years ago. The cars today are way lighter, 3500 lbs. in the Regal I think, compared to the barges we all used to drive around in highschool. Plus the suspension systems are better. Some better than others. My reason for getting the Regal GS was for the low end torque and the top end of the engine in the GS, the mileage on the highway and the way it rides. It is like a LAZY-BOY on wheels. For a 29 year old guy like me, it does just fine.
  • Agree....you are a younger GS driver than I am.
    Regal GS is a steal.
  • verdi942verdi942 Posts: 304
    Just got home from a day driving a new Lexus ES300 loaner, which sells for about $15K more [real world cost, not MSRP] than my LS Abboud. Well, it's just a HAIR better - a little softer on the small bumps, a little less engine noise. MUCH "deader" steering; touchier, less progressive brakes; an annoying dead spot as you press the gas. A little more posh on the inside. A dead heat vs my Monsoon stereo [although the 6 CD in-dash changer is nice]. Ditto the sunroof, leather, etc. NO retained ACC power. Similar acceleration. That's IT. Well, there are those durability and resale issues, but I feel a lot better about my ride now.
  • Hey Verd,
    At least one BIG thing your Abboud is missing is the Supercharged engine. Also, does the Abboud come with the Grand Touring suspension? These two options make the Regal GS what it is. I think if you could have compared that Lexus ES300 you had for a day to a GS your comparison might be a dead heat or maybe when you factor in the extra $, the GS might come out on top.
    My local dealer has a white '02 Abbound on his lot. SHARP!! Wonder if I could talk my wife into owning two Regals? She drives a '97 Merc Sable LS that I bought in one of my weaker moments.
  • verdi942verdi942 Posts: 304
    Although I'd LOVE the punch of the extra 40 GS horses, the LS easily keeps pace with the 300 Lexus. And, yes, the '02 Abboud DOES have the Gran Touring package - which includes bigger front brakes, and a VERY good thing, too. Note that '03 Regals, Abbouds included have been "decontented"; the '02 came standard with EVERYTHING except the power passenger seat and the front seat heaters [which I added]. Mine stickered at $29K and I drove it home for about $22K [+tax]. You should be able to do at least as well on that white one. Good luck.
  • Anyone know for sure when the Regal is due for redesign? Current design has been around since, I believe, '97 or '98. Except for subtle changes like grille color, you can hardly tell one year from another.
  • Jack44Jack44 Posts: 221
    Best guess from what is being reported...2005...
  • tsu670tsu670 Posts: 289
    Just read Pacinpelo's note regarding "Service Engine Soon" light. Same thing just happened on my '99 LSE at 29K+. It went off by itself, but now I'm wondering if there's anything to the evaporator hose theory. Have read other accounts on this bbs about water dripping into passenger compartment because of improper routing of the hose. Any idea how one goes about finding/accessing the hose and rerouting it?
  • BushwackBushwack Posts: 258
    I read the new redesign will go into production in July 2003 and will be available in November of that year as a 2005 (not 2004) model year.

On a related note, the new Gran Prix looks tasty and fresh. But knowing Pontiac, I doubt the craftmanship/quality will improve (especially within the first year of a new model).
  • rjs200240rjs200240 Posts: 1,277
    The earliest they can sell a car as a 2005 model is January of 2004. I don't believe they can sell a car in 2003 as a 2005 model.
  • BushwackBushwack Posts: 258
    Remember when the "1999" Chrsyler 300M was introduced? I'm fairly sure the car came to market in November 1997 as a 1999 model year. Also, during the 80s and 90s both Corvette and Seville models were introduced at least 20 months prior to their designated model year (I think Corvette introduced the '84 model year in late 1982 {there was no 1983 model year} and Seville pulled a similar stunt in the early 90s when it introduced the current model; which is do for a make-over in 2005).

While on the subject, I think the 1957 Eldorado (typically coming to market in summer 1956) was introduced in 1955 but for reasons that are not common today (I think it had to do with a goverment requirement, but I'm not sure why).
  • cigsmhcigsmh Posts: 16
    Want to buy Buick Regal for my wife. Since my wife is not tall person I just wondering what is the visibility from the driver sit of the car for not very tall person. I test drove one, but I am very tall and for me there is no problem with visibility in any car. I also interested is how easy to park this car for not tall people.
  • jpstaxjpstax Posts: 250
    I just got back from an oil change at the dealer. The service guy said he too had a '98 GS and just installed a performance pulley, 160° thermostat, outlaw chip, and K & N filter. I asked if the pulley was a Thrasher, and he said NO. Said the Thrasher puts too much strain on the engine, and his pulley was mid-way between the stock and Thrasher pullies. Said it'd sold by a company in Michigan. I'll find out next week and let everyone know. Said he's pretty sure his engine is now making ~270-275 hp with over 300 ft-lbs of torque. Said he can burn rubber at 30 mph by stomping on the pedal. Said he recently beat a Z-28 at a traffic light.
  • seems kinda basic... i'm not asking about pullies or compression, but what do you use to clean the interior? I have a '01 LS w/ gray leather interior. I won't use armorall because even the low gloss formula makes it too greasy/shiny for me. I actually tried "saddle soap" yesterday, and so far i'm happy with it. Is there anything else you guys use?

Thanks,
    Rick
  • My mother is 5' 1.5" and she has no trouble driving her 1998 Regal GS. So unless your wife is a lot shorter than that she should be okay. However with all the problems I have had with my 1998 Regal GS, I could not recommend buying a Regal.
  • pinetted,

The cup holder is classified as an interior trim item and not covered under the extended warranty. The cost of the part is $221. So the cup holders will have to remain semifunctional for another 19,000 miles. When it rolls 100,000 and the extended warranty expires it is good-bye to the piece of junk and hello something else. Probably go Japanese for the first time to try to find some reliability. Performance for me is fast becoming not having to go to the dealer every two weeks for repairs.

Kdawg
  • Jack44Jack44 Posts: 221
    Just go over to www.regalgs.org
    and anything you need to know about the Regal is there...
  • rjs200240rjs200240 Posts: 1,277
    Actually, the 1984 Corvette started production on January 3, 1983 according to the 50th anniversary book. I didn't exhaustively track down the 300M info, but Car and Driver did a preview test of the 1999 300M (which was a pre-production car, not off the assembly line) in June 1998. With the lead time (and the fact the magazine probably hit the shelf in May) they probably tested in in February-April of 1998. But I doubt it was in 1997 (plus, production hadn't started yet).

Also, the Seville got a significant makeover between the 1992 makeover and 2005. For 1998 the car was completely redone (and moved onto a far superior platform: the Aurora platform). It just has a very similar look to the 1992 redesign. So 1998 through 2004 isn't so bad for one model (especially with an engine redesign for 2000).
  • pinettedpinetted Posts: 104
    Kdawg79, thats cazy, $221! GM certainly has some work to do in the quality and fit and finish dept.