Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buick Regal

Comments

• The owners manual never says a thing about changing the supercharger oil.There would only be two ways to get the old oil out.Suck it out with something or take the SC off and turn it upside down.I'm guessing the SC will last the life of the car if we maintain the proper oil level.Bearing failure would be the only thing that could ruin the SC.Does anyone know the SC's total oil capacity?
  • I am having trouble posting also. 1999 Buick 16000 miles, having dash problems with the tach stopping and trip odometer cutting in while driving. After a day everything is back to nomal to repeat the problem days later. Suggestions?
  • BushwackBushwack Posts: 258
    I received a response from both Monsoon and Buick regarding assistance in finding a compatible 6 or 12 disc CD magazine for the Monsoon system in the GS.

Basically, both referred me to my local dealer. Neither Monsoon or Buick Customer Service can answer me what magazine (if any) is "Monsoon" compatible. My local Al & Eds (a large car stereo dealer in southern California) rep says that only the Kenwood KDCC715 10 disc magazine will work with the system. yet I recall reading a post many months ago in this forum that Panasonic makes a compatible magazine.

Does anyone have a 'magazine' installed with their Monsoon system???
  • L8_ApexL8_Apex Posts: 187
    that this post will take (I'm as frustrated as you) and...

...that you all will welcome me, the host, into this forum since, as something of a Christmas present, we traded my wife's Neon in on a '98 GS with everything but the heated seats. I had negotiated a deal prior to her seeing the car and took her to see it yesterday. They offered my $4500 for her Neon and $14500 for the '98 with 30K on the odometer. It was a lease turn-in, black and dingless and with one scuff in the rear bumper. Chrome wheels, moonroof... everything but the seats but she was OK with that.

This is the first automatic I've owned, or rather, co-owned. My wife put a bicycle pedal through her knee as a kid and has a bad "clutch" leg. She's been complaining about driving a stick for a while since the pain gets worse every winter. Since the torque on this GS is so fat, I don't mind giving up the effeciencies of a manual. It has a few more months of the warranty left but I've already cleared a pulley and intake for installation. I'm wondering...

What synthetics are recommended for this car? I've already replaced the engine oil with Mobil1 but what about the ATF? Redline? I've used Redline in several cars with excellent results. I tried calling Thrasher for last few days but they must be on holiday. Surely, I'll stick with GM's supercharger oil. I'm thinkin' 270hp by summer... Any thoughts?

Later,

L8_Apex
    Sedans Host
  • I am going to post in the Trans Am room to see if any T/A owners with a Monsoon have installed a magazine.

Hell, trying to post a message is like impossible in this new format...Hello Mr. Host.
  • I've been driving my 2000 GS for a year. These are my most/least favorite things about this car. Full disclosure: All things considered I love this car.

Most:

1. Acceleration - nothing less than awesome. As we all know, the supercharged 3800 is one mongo torquer. What a blast to touch the gas!

2. Comfort - the seats couldn't fit me any better.

3. Solid - like all Buicks this car is built like a tank.

4. Reliablity - zero mechanical problems (except for #2 below).

Least:

1. Styling - the word bland comes immediately to mind. This is a well-engineered car but from an aesthetic perspective the Regal is not going to set too many hearts aflutter. When I first got my 92 Taurus (last new car before the Regal) some person in a parking lot would always be asking about the car. In the year I have owned the GS I have never had a single stranger come up to me and comment on the car or even ask a question about it. So while (thankfully) it is not as gruesomely butt-ugly as the new Impala, Buick should hire some Chrysler designers and put a pretty shell around that sweet mill of theirs.

2. I have had the #$%=@& infamous dash rattle since the day I got the car. Arrrgghh! Dealer tried (unsuccessfully) to fix it.

3. I have the gray leather interior. The gray carpeting is too light of a shade. Despite regular cleaning the carpets look perpetually dinghy and soiled.

4. The entire interior could be more refined. I also have a 2001 Passat (wife's car) and the difference between its interior and the Regal's is dramatic. The Passat is sophisticated the Regal is pedestrian. From the quality of the leather to the overall look and feel the Passat has it over the Regal in spades. Yet both cars sticker for about the same $$$. Take the Regal's (wobbly) console - borderline cheesy. And that ugly gap in the back of the console! What are these engineers thinking? And despite the mammoth dashboard the glove compartment is too small even hold the binder that contains the owner's manual! These kinds of knucklehead design aspects really bug me.

5. I find myself fiddling way too much with the Climatronic system just to get comfortable. I thought the point of it was set and forget.

6. I was expecting that the Monsoon sound system would sound better than it does. It's certainly adequate but somehow I was expecting to be more impressed.

What do you like most/least about your Regal?
  • If it takes over (5) minutes to type in a post it wont take it anywhere.If you want good info on your SC3800,etc go to turbobuick.com and ask questions on the SC3800 message board.Alot of guys there drag race their SC3800 powered Regals and can give you lots of advice on most anything about hopping up a SC Regal.My wife says I'm not hopping up or racing our 98GS.My 86T-Type Regal is the car I light the tires up with.
  • 96gs96gs Posts: 86
    L8- Congratulations man! You will not be disappointed.

I like the looks of my GS very much. I have had many people come up to me and ask what it is and say they like the way it looks. I agree about the interior light gray color, it seems to show everything. My floor mats are trashed from all the salt and wet slush from the past few weeks. I have yet to have a rattle. I do have a few creaks when it's really cold, but even BMW's would have that -15.
  • Just got back from SC3800 Tech on turbobuick.com and a guy there has 3.25" 3800SC pulleys for sale for $115.00.That will wake up your 98 GS!
  • yurakmyurakm Posts: 1,345
    Thank you!
    Congratulations!

Concerning the aftermarket intake and SC pulley: Are you really sure you wife needs even more power from the car?
    Concerning the Regal styling:

The car really is "invisible". Does not attract even a slight attention. Can tell several stories demonstrating the point.

Though, I consider it as an advantage, not a deficiency. The same with my wife, and with our friends.
  • jackjtjackjt Posts: 178
    Yurakm, I think I'd take it back to the dealer and check out the odor with them. I used my car again yesteday and no peroblem with the seats at all.

Host! It's great to have you join the club! Now you really have a stake here:-) Which is good for all of us! I'd love to get the HP up a bit on my GS,let us know what your plans are. I am not the world's greatest machanic so I need something, EZ, fast and cheap. Also, I am a dreamer! Have fun!
  • L8_ApexL8_Apex Posts: 187
    ...from everybody. We're very happy with the car so far. We've had enough snow here in Pittsburgh to utilize the traction control and it's not as intrusive as I expected.

It took a half-hour training session to teach her the ins and outs of the turn signal/wiper/cruise lever. That thing is really anti-intuitive. My parents had an '83 Monte Carlo with the exact same design in different plastics. I can't believe GM hasn't figured out a better way to do this in the last 20 years.

yurakm, only one of my vehicles (my one and only lease) has remained stock. My wife and I carpool (she works across the street) and trade vehicles back and forth quite a bit. If one of us is running out for milk or something of the sort, we usually take the car since the truck gets lousy mileage and is a pain in the neck to back in the garage. (It's a tight fit and fits best that way.) We really don't have a his and hers car; we time-share but officially, on paper, the truck's mine, the car's hers.

I want the power and she doesn't mind. She knew about this compulsive behavior when she married me. I run full synthetics and am religious about maintenance. With the exception of my daily driven 13 second Mustang 5.0, the mods have never seemed to affect driveability or reliability. My only concern is the auto. I knew my manuals could handle the power before; I'm not sure about this automatic. Maybe a cooler?

Later,

L8_Apex
    Sedans Host
  • To anyone interested there are alot of SC3800 high performance parts at the grandprix store including pulleys and pullers,cold air kits,thermostats,exhaust,etc.The Pontiac Grand Prix GTP owners are alot more active than us Regal GS owners.Couldnt get on Thrashers web site.They had a Regal GS in the 13's at 103mph but the tranny wont handle much over 300 horses.A guy from St Louis by the name of Rick Tolan has a website somewhere devoted to a Regal GS that he has done alot of mods on.
  • I agree with you about the styling. It is a decent looking car, I have had a couple of people give my wife or me compliments on my black GSE, but with some styling changes it could draw a lot more attention. What do you think about the OSV Intrigue styling? It is shown on the Old's web site. I would hate to see Buick discontinue the Regals because of poor sales! The engine can't be beat, reliability is excellent, and the interior all in all is very good.
  • peufanpeufan Posts: 53
    Congrats on the GS.

You may already know this but the GS does have a "heavy duty"
    transaxle (as does the Grand Prix GTP).

Now, *how* "heavy duty" it is, I don't know, but as I understand,
    it is different than the transaxle that the LS has.

Enjoy....
  • Go to www.tolan-hoechst.com/cars/ and click on "The GS".This car runs the quarter mile in 13.9 at 98.98 mph and will run 138 mph top end.It has 285 horses and 327.5 lbs of torque.I'll bet many a Mustang GT has seen its tail lights.
  • jackjtjackjt Posts: 178
    Thanks for the Rick Tolan link, regallurv1! I think Rick has added to his site, "everything you ever wanted to know" about GS performance upgrades. It's amazing to me to see the time and effort put into the site. Then on top of it he finds the time to work, enjoy his family and provide TLC for his Regal. I love to see involved, challenged people at work!

AS for upgrading my GS, I doubt it. Though I am not yet at the average Buick owners age of 66, I am getting there and have slowed down just a bit;-) But who knows!
  • It looks dead in here.jackjt,I'm glad you enjoyed the Tolan website.It is very interesting and I hope more of you will visit it.Rick has done some great things with his 98 GS.We have had two weeks of bitter cold and snowy weather here in Western Missouri and more is on the way tomorrow.I'm glad we drive dependable Buick Regals.