Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buick Regal

Comments

• bporter1bporter1 Posts: 229
    What you have experienced with your 99, I have experienced the same things in my 99 GSE. I have also replaced a transmission and had the sunroof stick open twice. Thankfully I bought the extended warranty. Of course just as it ran out the climate control display is going dim again. I have 76K miles. I guess the only real thing that I am disappointed with is that for $27,000.00, I expected better build quality. I know it is GM,but they always tout Buick quality.
  • jbmalikjbmalik Posts: 10
    All-

I have a 2002 Buick Regal GS with about 17,000 miles. there is a squeak (kind of a chirping sound) coming from what I *think* is the suspension. Happens every time I go over a bump (large or small). Frequency increases when I have (say) a passenger riding in the back. Anyone else experience this?
  • mwdreammwdream Posts: 91
    You said... (the Envoy was a pleasant surprise of luxury and performance).

I thought much the same about the Regal GS, which is why I bought it. However you do need to question the reliability. Without my ext. warranty I would be about $3000 out of pocket so far. (Dealership repairs)I'm at 65,000 on a 1998??? Thats about $1000 for every 10K over my factory warranty. My wife hasn't done any better with her 97 GMC Safari. I wouldn't own any GM vehicle without an extended warranty. The Envoy caught my eye... but knowing our current situation, I'm backing away slowly. By the way I got a Pontiac Grand Am for my free dealer test drive. Wife got a Yukon Denali with DVD ? go figure... better have her relationship with the service tech checked out : )
  • jpstaxjpstax Posts: 250
    We have a 2000 Regal GSE that has twice had a problem with the air bag warning light staying on. The first time it happened, the dealer determined that a loose connector was at fault. Last week it happened again. Today we brought it back to the same Buick dealership. We were told the system is completely disabled and has to be reset. Has anyone else had a similar problem?
  • BushwackBushwack Posts: 258
    I had a similar problem a couple weeks ago. All the idiot lights went on (intermittently) for no reason when starting the car. Took the car to the dealer, an "idiot" gave it a diagnostic and said he couldn't find a problem. Drove the car off the lot and all was well.

Next day I start the car and guess what? So...took the car back to the dealer and he replaced the ABS module. It's now a few days later and all is well.

Have the dealer replace the ABS module. From what I was told, the ABS module works alongside the traction control and air bag electronics and is most prone to becoming defective. If the dealer disagrees, then tell him you want the AIR BAG module replaced. If the dealer gives you any problems, call 800-4-A-Buick and ask for the name and number of the Buick territory manager for your area. Give him/her a call with the issue at hand - you're guaranteed to get some quick results.
  • I haven't posted in quite a while. My Regal now has about 148,000. It is a 98 GS. I have only had what might be considered two major problems with it although they were not real expensive to fix. I had the belt tensioner on the engine fail (bearing) and a short in the ignition wiring in the steering column. Note that the wiring problem was very similar to the lights/gages issue mentioned above.
    I change oil every 3-4000 miles and rotate the tires every other oil change. It is on it's third set of front brakes, the back haven't been touched and have 50% wear. I am still on the second set of tires. They are Michilen X-Ones.
    Obviously, I am a road warrior. They car still gets what I consider good mileage. I have busted 30mpg on trips and still do.
    GM is trying to terminate the 3800 but is having a tough time doing it. Last time I checked, it will be in production through 2008. The 04 Impala and Monte Carlo get the SC 3800. It appears that the new V-6 might be the new 3600 they will be putting in the Rondevous next year. It gets 240-250hp without an SC.
    I wonder if what you heard/read was that GM is going to terminate the 3800 Series II. They've already started production on the new 3800 Series III ('04 Pontiac GTP is getting this engine).
  • jbmalikjbmalik Posts: 10
    All-

I have a 2002 Buick Regal GS with about 17,000 miles. there is a squeak (kind of a chirping sound) coming from what I *think* is the suspension. Happens every time I go over a bump (large or small). Frequency increases when I have (say) a passenger riding in the back. Anyone else experience this?
  • pinettedpinetted Posts: 104
    My 97 has the same thing but I usually don't notice it over all the other rattles coming from the dash area.
  • one2oneone2one Posts: 626
    What is your assesment of the X-Ones? My main reason for considering them was the alleged low noise level, ride quality and handling (wet and dry). According to Michelin they are the best they sell in a luxury performance tire (according to the ranking per category -- noise, handling, etc). So before I ran off to one of the few places that keep them in stock, I'd love to hear from an actual owner what he thinks as opposed to taking the word of a tire manufacturer.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 17,682
    My comment about X-Ones. Softer, I went from XH4s which lasted 115K on 93 LeSabre. Put X-ones on 98 LeSabre. Good grip for Middle Ohio snows. Not a digger type tread like XH4s, but rubber is stickier so does great in snow and packed snow and ice. The rubber stays supple at 10 degrees and below, while other tires become hard and noisier in cornering; Xs don't get that hardness, probably helping their grip in ice and packed snow at stop signs.
    Mine have worn about 2/32s in 40K. I am not a hot
    rodder.
    Only negative I've noticed is a tendency to slip from dead stop on wet pavement when turned, as in pulling out _quick_ at a stop sign to beat an oncoming car... When the tire's turned it tilts, less pressure must be on part of the tread.
    Tread is QUIET. Use lower air pressure and the ride is floating, but I run about 33 instead of 30 recommended.

This message has been approved.

Last month I replaced the OEM Eagle LS tires on my GS with Yokohama Avid Touring (<http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Yokohama&tireModel=Avid+Touring&vehicleSearch=true&partnum=26SR6TOUR&fromCompare1=yes>).

So far, I am truly please with how quiet these tires are. Good traction dry and wet. As for hard cornering, those teen-ager days are long gone. But when compared to Michelins & Bridgestones, the value on these tires were too good to pass on.

Michelin's are good tires. But highly overpriced. There are better tires at there on a price vs performance ratio.
  • armtdmarmtdm Posts: 2,057
    Yes, mine would come on it seemed only when the trunk had weight in it however it turned out to be a bad sensor located in the steering wheel bag itself which the dealer replaced under warranty.
  • kdawg79kdawg79 Posts: 26
    My Mom just had to have the second pan gasket and third power window motor put on her 98 GS. She has now caught up with me and my 98 GS in terms of window motors but I am still a pan gasket ahead of her. Only her Gs only has 39k miles on it and mine has 86k. These two cars have been the worst for repairs. We both got extended warranties so the extended warranty companies have taken most of the beating. If you go back up the message list a ways you can find the laundry list of my repairs.

I think I am buying a Honda next time.
    You need to read the Honda Accord Problems Part II and the Accord and Pilot topics here before you think a honda has some magic. It's all smoke and mirrors. They are real cars too.
    It comes down to the dealer and the service department.

The accords have poor braking, grabbing, bad rotors, rattles, and auto trans problems. The pilot has strut and shock mount noises and other problems.

Somebody just bragged that their I4 accord gets over 30 on the highway and 22 around town driving. My trip to Nashville in 03 LeSabre with 3800 at 75 + with air on gave 30.5 and 31.5 on return. Around town is 22. Returning from dealer Monday, the car gave 35 mpg on flat level road at 55mph.

I'll take the comfort without the rough honda ride and snotty dealers, read the threads! They pay more, they have to have maintenance done at the dealer, and feel they've come out ahead.

My wife finally got her '00 GSE back today. The dealer replaced the entire wiring harness for the passenger-side air bag sensor. The tech drove it home for 2 straight nights without a problem. They would NOT replace the ABS or the air bag modules. Said GM wants the simplest fix tried first, and if that doesn't work, they will replace the two modules. Anyhow, the air bag idiot light hasn't stayed on, and that's OK with my wife. If it starts to stay on again, she'll really be pissed.
    <http://www.popularmechanics.com/automotive/spy_reports/2003/1/detroit_spy_report/>

Apologies to all if this link has been previously posted. The link leads to a rendering of the upcoming 2005 Buick Regal coupe.
  • pinettedpinetted Posts: 104
    Anyone got some extra gum and paper clips I need to make some repairs to the interior of my Regal and want to use factory parts.
    I think you must be mixing up the foreign cars, honda and toyo, with American brand cars. Check
    with your honda theads, accord problems PART 2 already cause they have some many problems.

• kdawg79kdawg79 Posts: 26
    I have looked at the Honda Accord problems topics. I have talked to many people I know who own Hondas and most have nothing but good things to say including my parents who own an Odyssey. They bought an Odyssey because they were fed up with GM's poor quality. This 98 GS of mine has been by far the worst car I have ever owned. I am on a first name basis with everyone in the dealership's service area. Do a search on my username and look at all the issues I have had with this thing. My parents 98 GS hasn't been much better and the two Bonnevilles (93 & 96) and one Grand Prix (90) I owned before this weren't anything to brag about. Honda may not be perfect, no car is, but I would like to try something different to see if I can't stay out of the service area and spend a little more time actually driving the car. When GM can find a way to make it's power windows work and put oil seals in their cars that actually keep the oil in, maybe I will look at them again. Since Honda continually rates near the top of all the quality surveys I see, they must have something going for them. I do think they were probably better before they started building them in the U.S. So unless something drastic changes my mind I am going to buy a Honda or maybe an Infiniti the next time.