Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buick Regal

Comments

• verdi942verdi942 Posts: 304
    Looks like the current Century from the front [not good], but the rest seems OK. What counts most is what's inside and what's under the hood. I'd like to see 250+ HP [on regular gas]; 30+ mpg HWY; bigger brakes, better handling with a softer ride, maybe AWD?, a 5 speed trans, all the present goodies plus a CD changer, XM radio and a major upgrade to the interior. And a sticker well under $30K. Just a dream, I know.
  • Hello everyone. I have a quick question about a clunking in the dash of my 99 Regal.
      The last couple of weeks there has been a clunking similar to the noise all cars make when you first turn the heat or a/c on. It sounds like the panels behind the dash are moving to recirculate the air output, from floor to windshield etc. I checked the air output and it does not change when I hear the clunk. It is now to the point that it does this fairly regular and multiple times every couple of minutes. Anyone heard of this or had this happen to their Regal? I do have the climate control system and it has been replaced once already. Thanks in advance.
  • Jack44Jack44 Posts: 221
    Could be just the freezing cold there in MI...Metal shrinkage so not as tight a fit...
  • evizeevize Posts: 33
    Jack44,

I presume this kit fits the Regal GS... I have a '98.
      You also note an "our price"?? What's the deal, how does one buy at this price?

Ed
  • Could the owners of the early nineties Regal check on the doorpost or wherever and tell me where their vehicle was manufactured. Canada or the U.S.?
  • Jack44Jack44 Posts: 221
    Go to www.gmpartsdirect.com

"Our price" is the price you pay...But they do add a Shipping charge...
  • tsu670tsu670 Posts: 289
    Gzkemlite, that was me who posted the instructions on the cabin filter a while back (fun project, huh?), but I was curious about your comment regarding its cost. My Buick dealer now wants $24 for the filter element while NAPA charges $12.73 with AAA discount (Minneapolis area).

Regarding Dexcool: like Mrrogers, I also had the system flushed and filled with ethylene glycol (green stuff) after the warranty expired. Have heard numerous stories about "Death Cool" to convince me to switch. Best friend had head gaskets replaced in his 2000 Malibu. Hopefully, GM has developed stronger gaskets and other components that can stomach the stuff in their 2001 and newer cars.

By the way, I had the system power flushed twice. Need to get ALL of the Dexcool out. Make sure the heater core and coolant recovery tank are flushed, too.

If you decide to continue using Dexcool, word on the street is don't wait the recommended five years or 100k miles to flush it. And make sure the system is full (to the top of the radiator cap). Never let air get into the system, and never top off with ethylene glycol (green) or the Dexcool could turn to gel and ruin almost everything it touches (radiator, cylinder heads, radiator hoses, head gaskets, the whole nine yards).

For those who have had to pay for expensive head gasket repairs, check for "Dexcool" in Google.com. You might find a link or two to class action lawsuits filed against GM.
  • Hey tsu670, So that was you who posted the filter instructions. Thanks for the help! Could never have done it w/o you. Actually, the whole project was pretty simple except for wiggling the new filter back into position. I'll probably do the job every year cause the interior smells so good with the new filter. I recall going to Autozone for the replacement but they were out of stock. Said they have 'em in a few days. On the way home I stopped at the dealer and paid about $12 for a GM filter.
    Re Dexcool...now you're scaring me with your stories. I flushed and replaced with Dex for the 1st time at 40,000 (3.5yrs). Maybe I'll flush every other yr from now on just like with the green stuff.
    Got any ideas about the wind noise I talk about in a previous post?
    Sorry gzkemlite, not much help with wind noise. Let's see, the mirror is one of those fold away kinds, right? Any chance it may have been bumped so it is folded in just a fraction instead of all the way out?

Re: Dexcool, if you had it changed at 40k and 3 1/2 years, that's well before the 100k and 5 years GM recommends, so it should be just fine. Actually, I'd say you done good!
  • I have a 1999 Regal (automatic headlights). When the headlights come on, the radio, climate control, and odometer dim to almost unreadable and the instrument cluster and switches in the doors and streering wheel don't light. Every once in a while the lights all come on normally for a few seconds. I suspect a poor ground in the circuit. Does anyone know where to find the ground, or does anyone have any other ideas? I checked all the fuses. I can't tell how fast I'm going while driving in the dark.
  • My '99 LS has developed the oddest squeaking noise coming from the dashboard gauge area. It is an incessant, annoying, non-rhythmic type squeaking noise. Playing with controls like climate control or audio has no effect on the noise. Movement of the car has no effect. The only thing that stops it is shutting off the ignition. It stopped for a week or so once and now it's back. Any ideas??
  • dlt1dlt1 Posts: 1
    I had a similar problem with my 1999 Regal. My problem turned out to be a bad dimmer switch.
    Not sure if this is the same as what you are describing, but had dash squeak in '99 LSE that I traced to where top of plastic bezel meets padded dash in the area that lines up just over the tach. Was able to take hand with fingures on top of dash and thumb on plastic bezel and quickly squeeze the two parts together and make it happen. Drove me nuts during cold weather. Gently pryed the two pieces open a little to swab the offending area using a Q-tip sprayed with WD-40. Repeating as necessary.
  • BushwackBushwack Posts: 258
    FWIW...that dash squeek is very common with Hondas and Acuras. A li'l WD-40 goes a looong way.
  • mrrogersmrrogers Posts: 391
    Patrick Bedard is an editor at Car and Driver magazine. A few years ago, he did an article on the nonreflective coating that his optometrist applied to the lenses of his glasses. He stated that it really helped reduce the glare when he drives at night. I tried it, and it works. If you wear glasses, I would recommend it as at least a partial fix to the Xenon headlight glare problem.
    Under the trunk lid of our Regal is a sticker that has a series of codes listed on it. Not sure what they are, but guessing they might relate to the various options on the car. Does anyone know where one can find a table to translate those codes. Just curious.
  • Here was our Buick Regal line up back in 2001.

http://redpowermagazine.com/uploads/upload.cgi/Buicklineup0004.jp- g

Left to right 85 T-Type,86 T-Type,91 Limited,98 GS,and 00 LS.We live in the country so they werent too clean when I took the picture.We stil own all of them except for the 98 GS which was traded for the 02 Rendezvous CXL AWD pictured below.

http://redpowermagazine.com/uploads/upload.cgi/Rendezvous1.jpg

We are very dissapointed with the 02 Rendezvous.It has the underpowered intake gasket leaking 3400 V-6 in it plus in the last month we have gone thru(2)BCM's on it.Some RDV owners are already on their 6th BCM.Ours is out of factory warranty on 3-23-04 and it may be going down the road.

We starting running Buick Regals in 1984 and they were always very dependable.The worst thing we ever had happen was a power window motor.

By the way if you own a 3.1 or 3.4 GM V-6 powered vehicle please read this to save your self some problems.
    http://www.gm-v6lemons.com/
    ...but it had only a few references to Buicks in the scores and scores of incidents reported in the Guestbook section. So many were Chevy Malibus and Ventures; Pontiac Montanas, Grand Ams and Grand Prixs; and Oldsmobile Silhouettes and Aleros. Only saw a couple of Centurys and Park Aves, and no Regals. It isn't possible the head gaskets used in Buick engines would be any different that the other models in GM's lineup, is it? Or is it more likely there are a buch of Buick owners out there with Dex-Cool issues that we just aren't hearing about?
  • verdi942verdi942 Posts: 304
    If Bedard can do something about the glare, so can I. Or else, I can just get a Hummer with the extra light package...
  • I was just on a website last night where a 76 yr old woman said her 99 Century 3.1 had an intake gasket leak at 44,000 miles that cost her $800 and she wasnt happy.I think Buick owners tend to be a little older and are less vocal about their problems.The 3.1 and 3.4 gaskets are all the same.Plastic intake manifolds are alot of the problem.Some will leak and lots never will.

I was recently on a Venture owners website that has nearly 300 owners with intake gasket problems.I was on another website that had tons of complaints of leaking 3.1-3.4 intakes.The poor Venture owners seem to take the worst of it.

All 2000-2003 3800 GM owners had a recall for potential leaky intake gasket problems and you dont see much problems with them on the internet.We just had our 2000 LS Regal in the shop for this recall.

We have driven 3.8-3800 V-6 Buicks for years with very few problems.One of the greatest engines ever built.