Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buick Regal

Comments

• jac5jac5 Posts: 17
    thanks, tsu. do you think the goodyear assurance tripletread would be a good fit for this type of suspension? for a regal . thx.
  • tsu670tsu670 Posts: 293

Sorry; I don't have experience with that tire. My '99 currently has Michelin X-One tires, and I'm quite pleased with them. I think the tread compound is a little harder than others (which might explain why they last so long), but they're very quiet and sure-footed. Someone else posted a while back that the siping on his X-One tires wore out and they didn't perform very well in snow thereafter. I've only got 30k miles on mine and so far they seem to be fine.
  • nels1nels1 Posts: 25
    A couple of months ago I put a set of Michelin Hydro Edge on my 03 GS. The best water tires I've found. Almost like driving on dry roads even in heavy rain and puddles at high speeds. I got them a Costco and they inflated them with nitrogen which is supposed to give better pressure stability among other things I guess. Don't know about snow yet but this thing is like a sled in snow anyway. Safest thing is to stay home.
  • jipsterjipster Posts: 5,345
    Any good suggestions for replacement tires on 99 LS ? Around $80 per tire range.
  • You could try Futura 2000 LTE's at Pepboys. They're made by Cooper tires and run around $70.00/tire before balancing. Replaced all 4 on my '00 Intrigue with around 40Kmi. It now has 110K and they still have tread on them. Will need replacing before winter though. The ride nice and are good in the snow (a must where I live). I liked them so much that I just replaced all 4 on my wife's '01 Regal LS. Much quieter than the OEM G.Y. Eagels. Hope this helps.
  • Ok I have a 97 Regal LS 3.8 n/a
    before it stopped starting i would turn my key to start and it would crank, but no ignition. I checked it with a code reader and it sayed it was the crankshaft sensor.
    but after trying to start it for 2-4mins. it would start and not bother me for close to a month. then it would happen again.
    Finally while driving in town it just died. no power steering or nothing. I had it towed to the house. A mechanic friend of mine says it might be the ignition switch. please tell me this is easy to fix and common.
    any help would be appreciated.
    also its locked in park and won't unlock. :cry:
  • I had a 1992 Buick Roadmaster several years ago with the remote module that took a static hit. I had purchased the shop manual ($90., & well worth it) and was able to troubleshoot the problem. On that car, the module is the size of a cigarette pack and is mounted under the rear shelf accessible by removing the rear seat
    upright cushion. I found one at a "get it yourself" salvage yard from the same model sedan. The clerk didn't know what it was and charged me $20. That was the solution. It may be similar to your car. Good luck.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,048
    With the key in off, not lock, you should be able to move the shift lever. If it's not letting you move at other positions with the brake pedal down that says the basic things aren't getting power to release the pin that locks the shift lever.

Try it in "Off."
  • I tried that and it would not work.
    I've desimbled the sift cover and manually taken it out of lock, but once I put it back in parkit locks again.
    I feel it will unlock once the car starts, thats the main problem. Getting it started, If anyone knows how to take the ignition switch out of a regal please feel free to post it.
  • yes, this is a major problem with the 97-04 regals
    it was a recall issue.
    it is caused by a power steering malfunction.
    if you call your local GM dealer and give them your VIN
    they should be able to tell you if this has been replaced or not on your car.

I found out the hardway losing all power steering in Austin texas
    I turned my wheel without it and broke most of my rack and pinion parts.
    it costed me close to 700 bucks.
    So get it fixed for free as a recall!!
  • jdpinajdpina Posts: 4
    I have a problem with my power door locks, As I am driving down the road the power locks click to lock my doors while I am driving. Where would I start to try to find the problem? It think it might be a short somewhere, I sure would like to know were to start looking.
    Not sure about '96 models, but on '97 and up the doors lock automatically when the transaxle is shifted out of park. It is a programmable feature with detailed instructions on how to set the various lock modes in the owner's manual. One of the modes is for NO automatic lock or unlock.
  • jay99jay99 Posts: 9
    In my 99 Regal GS, when I turn on the ac or heat it smells like something is burning under the hood. I have checked all my fluid levels, and they are within an acceptable range. I sometimes smell the burning when I am going up a steep hill or using the engine more too.
    I know this could probably be many things but I thought maybe someone has had a similar experience... I will take it in, but I wanted some idea of what it could be first.
    Sorry if this sounds too obvious, but I know of three individuals who took their cars to those quick oil change places and were sent on their way with the oil filler cap still laying on top of the air intake plenum. Oh, make that four. It happened to my mother's car last month!
  • JAY I HAVE A 97 REGAL GS. AND HAVE HAD THE SAME ISSUES THAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT.THE FIRST TIME I EXPERIENCED THIS PROBLEM I SHUT OFF MY CAR IN THE GARAGE, AND BEFORE I WENT INSIDE I SMELLED SOMETHING. IT WAS DEFINATELY A BURNING SMELL. MOST LIKELY FROM OIL SOMEWHERE INSIDE THE ENGINE BAY. I HAVE STEAM CLEANED THE MOTOR , WATER CLEANED ,AND WIPED OFF EVERY PART OF THE VALVE COVERS THAT I COULD GET TOO. SOMETIMES I SMELL THIS WHILE GOING DOWN THE ROAD WITH THE HEATER ON. I ALSO DO ALL MY OWN OIL CHANGES AND I AM VERY CAREFUL TO NOT SPILL ANY OIL AND STILL HAVE THE PROBLEM. if you have any breakthroughs with this issue please email me , GOOD LUCK :P
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Hi and welcome to our Forums.

Just a couple of tips - it's better to not post in all caps, since all caps makes a message difficult to read and is interpreted as shouting. Also, rather than asking people to email you, let's have the conversation right here within the discussion. That way all current and future readers of these posts will benefit.
  • Just purchased a GS with 60K miles. Can someone provide information about gutting the airbox to improve the existing intake? What's to be done with the electronic gizmo? Thanks
  • Once in a while the shift between 1st and 2nd is really hard and then the shift between 2nd and 3rd is hard but the rest are fine. This problem is intermittent but is becoming more frequent. Tranny shop said it was electrical since it does not occur consistently. Has 114500 miles, fluid was changed at 60K. Fluid looks and smells good. Any ideas?? Live in the Seattle area and drive about 100 miles a day on the highway. Otherwise has been great car.

Thanks in advance :confuse:
  • My 97'Regal GS recently began to show the brake,Abs,trac off,and service engine soon light on the instrument panel. Also a grinding noise when the right or left turn signal is applied. the car will continue too grind until the e.b.c.m. runs the abs motor pack self test which it is only supposed to when the car is first started or driven. Maybe ABS problems???? :confuse: :cry: :lemon:
  • Jack44Jack44 Posts: 221
    Here's some photos...

http://www.greenfam.org/gallery2/v/ClubGPandCarRelatedPhotos/2000-02-Guttingthe2000Airbox/- -

The "electronic gizmo" [The PCM] stays there in the box...