Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buick Regal

Comments

• L8_ApexL8_Apex Posts: 187
    I've noticed a couple of things about the wife's GS.

Last night while driving home from dinner at a friend's (during which we recieved 5" of snow) I noticed that the lighting would flicker/dim when the anti-locks engaged. Have any of you seen this?

I made the change to Mobil1 this evening. Many people complain about the location of filters on Japanese vehicles and I have to say that you needed to be Stretch Armstrong to change the filter on my old Integra GS-R. That being said, the location on this car isn't much more convenient. Thankfully, the filter is inverted so spillage on my clean garage floor is minimal.

Accolades? I let a friend who owns an SHO 5-speed drive the car. I subtly reached down and disabled the traction control. He nailed it out of the light and the car just burned 'em off the whole way through first. (The dealer schlepped some crappy General Ameritouring GT's to pass inspection. I'm eager to get real rubber.) The torque is beastly but unless the tranny is in performance mode, it's way too hesitant to downshift. Coming from a stick, the car has been in performance mode almost the whole time since purchase; I'm not too pleased with "regular" mode.

More later,

L8_Apex
  • I have been reading your posts about your Disc Changer adventures with great interest! I am considering adding a changer to my 1999 GS, but only with full function with my head unit and steering wheel controls. Since you have done just that to your ride, I have some questions for you...

What part number(s) are necessary for this installation? I am looking for the part number of the AC Delco CD Changer, and the specialized harness, since that seems to be the key to the system. Where did you purchase them? What was the cost?

Thanks in advance!
  • frankkfrankk Posts: 35
    I have had the traction control kick in on snow packed roads. It helps but its no panacea. The there is still some slippage, just not as much. It might be of help to someone who is clueless when driving in the snow or ice.

FWIW with my GS I have been able to get the traction control light to light up on dry roads (those Goodyear LS tires are such a piece of junk).
  • etharmonetharmon Posts: 399
    On my 98 Intrigue, the headlights will dim sligtly for a moment when the ABS or traction control engages. My guess is these units draw alot of current. They engage so quickly and unexpectedly that the PCM probably doesn't have time to compensate by increasing engine speed at the very moment they kick in as it does when you switch something on like the A/C or rear defogger.
  • 96gs96gs Posts: 86
    Well, I traded in my '96 GS for a '98 black Mustang GT with the five speed, 38K miles, Mach 460 sound, 17" wheels, power everything. I really loved my GS and hated to see it go, but it was time to trade in for something a little newer. I really wanted something different, and maybe a little more "fun." The GS was a really great car and I won't forget it...
  • BushwackBushwack Posts: 258
    I'll get you the part number tomorrow. The info is in my Palm Pilot...which is buried somewhere under paperwork on my desk in my office. The part number for the unit includes the harness; which is basically an adapter that splits off from the existing harness that leads to the changer. Just make sure your radio is designated as having CODE UPO (if it's a Monsoon system, it is CODE UPO).

My cost was $400 which included the changer and installation. I had a certified AC Delco technician (who came highly recommended by the service manager at a nearby Buick dealership) do the install after hours; thus avoiding the dealer mark-up that would have added an additional $300 - 400. The guy was great, knew his stuff and removed and re-assembled the radio and instrument panels with ease (and with caution) in 2 hrs. If you're in L.A., I'll be happy to forward his name and telephone number to you. E-mail me at tull1@mac.com.

BTW, the changer, being from GM, is warranted for as long as your warranty (3 yrs/36M miles or longer with extended). ALso, the unit orks grrrrrreat with 100% compatability with the head unit AND steering wheel controls. What a luxury - especially on long drives!

I'll have the part number for you tomorrow.
    Did me selling the GS scare everyone off or something? This used to be a very active topic..
  • teoteo Posts: 2,508
    The Buick Regal Man has turned its back to get a Ford Mustang?????

I hope I am reading this right.
  • jdinstljdinstl Posts: 10
    Howdy folks!

In about 1K miles, the Regal will go in for its first oil change. I got to thinking, does anyone know of any recalls or the like on the 2000 Regal LSE that I should know about and ensure were completed when I go in for this service visit?

Thanks for the info...

And 96gs...we are hurt, and not speaking to you for defecting from Buick to a f..ff..fff...FORD! Seriously, congrat's on your purchase and happy motoring to you!

JD
  • drwilscdrwilsc Posts: 140
    So are you now going to be '98GT'?

I, too, defected. I traded in my 99 GS for a 2001 Chrysler Sebring sedan with the 2.7 V6. Nice car, obviously less power than the GS. When it came down to it I just couldn't stand the dash rattles and other rattles the GS had. I do miss it when some punk pulls up beside me a a stoplight!
  • BushwackBushwack Posts: 258
    I truly wish you the best of luck with your new Sebring and drive it in good health. I think the new sedan looks much better then the coupe. In fact, the vast majority of Chrysler products are aesthetically striking! But as it has been said, looks can kill.

3 of the four people I know who own Chrysler's (99 LHS, 2000 300M and a late 90s Concorde) are having terrible mechanical problems. But..the one person I know who has a 99 300M is a happy, happy camper going on 55,000 hwy miles. The biggest gripe isn't so much that the car needs the repair (covered under warranty) but the INCONVENIENCE of taking the car in, getting a rent-a-car, returning the rent-a-car...and so on. No one complains about the warranty work being done, just the pain that is caused by having to take the car in for repairs. What the Sebring has going for it is a proven 2.7L V6. That engine has been around long enough for Chrsyler to get the kinks out of it (just as GM has done for the past 30+ years with the 3.8L).
  • crew6crew6 Posts: 2
    Well, I defected to Buick from Ford. The Ranger was a great truck, but I was ready for something a little more "fun" to drive, so I bought a 99 GS. It's a great car with power that can give one whiplash, but I do agree with drwilsc. My dashboard is driving me NUTS with rattles. The car goes in next week to have the temperature controls and/or the sound system examined to see what has come loose behind the controls. Anyone else with the same problem?
  • The January 29 issue of Autoweek has a very small item in the "NEWS" section that reads
    "sources say Buick also is considering building a 275-hp GNX to commemorate its 100thanniversary in 2003. The car's supercharged V6 will meet or beat the horsepower of the last production GNX built in 1987".

With the vehicles available to Buick today, this could only be a Regal body, probably similar to the show car show at the SEMA show.
  • Dashboard rattles seem to be a very common complaint with Regal owners. My 2000 GS has had one that seems to come from the area of the speedo since the day I got the car, 19,000 miles ago. It is loudest at 30-40 mph. I had it into the dealer once. He thought he had fixed it but he didn't. Bringing the car in is a hassle but I think I'll give it another shot soon since the noise can be really annoying. Sometimes the noise is a buzz and sometimes it sounds like a tiny screw rattling around. The irritating part is that these complaints seem to cover every model year since the 1996.5. You would think that Buick would have tightened up their quality control or redesigned the dashboard hardware in the interim.

I got very familiar with the Regal's Traction Control during a recent spate of wintry weather where the roads were snow-covered for days. I lived in the northeast for many years so I've done my share of winter driving. But the Regal is the first car I ever owned with this feature. I had thought traction control was more a marketing gimmick than anything else. But I was quickly impressed. It always seemed to kick in when required and really helped the car track straight and true, decreased wheel slippage, and certainly inspired my confidence. Now I think I'll want this feature on any new car I buy.
  • bralleybralley Posts: 20
    We just purchased a 2000 LS with 15K (former program car). It was a tough decision deciding between the Regal, an Accord, and a Camry. We traded in a '96 Olds Ciera that was falling apart at 75K and had decided that we had had it with American cars and were only going to look at Hondas,Toyota, and Nissans. Then we stopped by the local Buick dealership, which gave us the LS to drive for the weekend. Of course, we fell in love with it - even though the Accord and Camry have the edge in resale value and reliability, they can't come close to the comfort and luxury of the Regal. I haven't driven a car with this much power since I was a teenager and owned a car with a big 8. I can only imagine the power the GS has, but am completely satisfied with the LS (it's got all the power that I'll ever need). The REAL deciding factor was comfort, though - my husband is 6'2" and he was ALOT more comfortable in the Regal. (We will be purchasing an extended warranty, just for the peace of mind)

This car does not have a dash rattle yet, but we're keeping our ears tuned in. We love the sound system and are considering adding a CD changer. This may sound crazy, but this is our first car with leather interior, and we are wondering about caring for the leather and would appreciate any suggestions this group may have. Also, what are the pros/cons of the GM extended warranty as opposed to a third party extended warranty (other than the price)?
  • on the purchase of your 2000 Regal LS program car.We too got a 2000 Regal LS program car in Dec with leather and 18,000 miles on it.We have already put 3,000 miles on it and like it just fine.That 3800 puts out plenty of power.We have the best of both worlds as we also have a 98 GS with the SC3800.

Now,our 98 Regal GS just sits there and doesnt get driven much but in July it will be going on a 6000 mile trip to the NW part of the country so it will get to feel its oats out in the mountains.

Our 98 GS has 33000 miles and has never had a dash rattle and in the 3000 miles we have driven our 2000 LS it has never had a dash rattle either.Knock on wood.

96gs,hate to see you leave the Regal camp but a 98 GT Mustang is a nice car.At least you didnt go foreign on us.One of these days I want a mid 80's GT or LX with a warm 5.0,a manual tranny,and some flowmasters.
    Eventually I'll post some pics of the new GT on my website, I'll let you know.

I'm not done with Regals yet. That will probably be my next car in 2004 or so. Just thought I'd get a sportscar now while I can (24). I miss the GS a bit, but I am having fun with the GT. If the GNX really makes it to production, however, I may be trading in the GT earlier than anticipated.
  • frankkfrankk Posts: 35
    My 99 GS has 18K so far.
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    So why did you dump the regal? other than getting expensive to fix was there any other reason(s)? Any reason you didn't look for a used GNX...would be faster than the GT. Just curious as you selected a Ford.
  • teoteo Posts: 2,508
    Good look with Fix or Repair Daily....err...Ford!. I had very bad experiences with their products some 12 years ago...needless to say, I bowed to never set foot in a Ford showroom ever again!.