Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buick Regal

Comments

• pinettedpinetted Posts: 104
    Thanks for the info Teo, but the Regals interior panels attatch with clips and this I think, is part of the problem. Buick designed the interior without screws for appearance but clips simply do not hold things in place as well. I would much rather they had used some screws and covered them than use all clips. I owned a 87 Mustang 5.0 for 6 years and there were no rattles when I sold it. The same with the 96 Ranger we currently own, no rattles and this is a 4x4 with a very stiff suspension. Over all I like my Regal a lot I just wish GM wouldn't skimp so much on the way their interiors go together.
  • peufanpeufan Posts: 53
    Welcome to the club bud.

Hey at least you got 21k miles before yours
    kicked in. Mine was there at 1k.

If that's the worse thing that this car does,
    I can live with it (though I'll probably have the
    dealer attempt a fix).
  • verdi942verdi942 Posts: 304
    My dealer swears he knows how to fix the rattle; he's been excellent all the way up to now; I'll share any info he gives me.
  • etharmonetharmon Posts: 399
    So how did you like the Deville? Those are nice cars. That Northstar is a hoot isn't it?
    Today, during an extended excursion in Manhattan traffic [>1 hour], the trans started shifting by banging into each gear. Several warning lights also lit up ["security", "air bag" and "seat belt"]. A 5 minute shutdown cured it.
  • 96gs96gs Posts: 86
    Oh man, I can't say too many times how wonderful the Deville's powertrain is. The sound of the engine is just incredible. I expected it to just groan or maybe gurgle a little, like many V8 sedans I've been in. But the northstar rumbles like a muscle car when pushed, but is dead quiet while cruising. Everything about the car is wonderful. I have one more day with it before I get the Regal back. I love my Regal a lot as you all know, but man, the Caddy is definitely a major step up and it shows in every way. WAY more expensive however, I would never pay that much for any car.
    Have you driven a northstar?
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    northstar in a regal...

Dash rattle...when I took my 97.5 into the delaer for the dash rattle, they had it figured out in no time....said it was my loose change in the ashtray....
    ...*everything* about the DeVille???

I haven't driven one or been in one, so
    I believe you on all counts, except....

The outside is butt ugly!!!!

There; I said it. Sorry to those that paid $50K,
    you must be alot smarter than me if you have
    $50K to spend on a car, but YUCK!

I'll take the lines of a Regal, Intrigue, BMW,
    Mercedes or just about any Pininfarina designed car any day to the lines of the
    DeVille.

But Hey, that's what makes the world go
    round.

Completely subjective.

my 2¢
    Yikes on that transmission thing.

When you go to the dealer for the dash rattle,
    can they plug into the cars computer and
    with diagnostics, confirm that has happened?

If so, can they isolate the computer/chip that
    is "freaking out" that is controlling the tranny and replace that chip or module?

Keep us posted.
    "....loose change in the ashtray...."

Talk about dry humor.
    It's not the loose change [I had rattles from that, too]. It sounds like a wire [or something]behind the dash has come loose to the right of the steering column.
    No way I would pay 50k for a car. The styling kind of grew on me actually. Not nearly as nice looking as the Regal however. Just a different kind of look.
  • Just made a 3000 mile round trip from Texas to California. Arizona and New Mexico have 75 mph speed limits and my '98 GS averaged 26.7 for the entire trip. I have only had the car for about two months and the previous owner used regular unleaded.... I tried all grades of gas and could see no difference. That supercharged 3800 engine loved the mountains and flat straight roads. The faster I drove, the better the engine liked it...
    saw 95+ several times, smooth as glass. I purchased this car as a test to see if I wanted to spring for a new one. I think I will wait until next fall and do just that.
    I've driven a previous generation Deville and my father has an Aurora which has the "baby Northstar" so I have driven one. They both sound great. One thing I love to do in my father's Aurora is rev that baby up. I love to find long uphill freeway entrance ramp when there is little traffic and just let her go. The new Northstar based DOHC V6 which is in the Intrigue is also a very nice engine. I love the styling of the new Devilles, especially the DTS. If I had 50K to spend on a car, I'd drop it for the DTS in a heartbeat. But I'll probably just have to wait a few years and pick one up used. Let the first guy pay for the depreciation:)
    There were two items that I tried to correct under warranty and then determine whether to buy out the lease or not. Well, the first issue was the non-working passenger rear window which was stuck in the up position for half a year and the dash rattle. They backordered the motor for the window and wrote the "loose change" up on the service order. Needless to say, they helped me to decide what to do with the vehicle. Had three months remaining on lease. Drove out of the dealership and into a GMC dealer and leased a '00 Denali. I got a call a couple of weeks later from the service writer who notified me that the window motor was in. All I had to say was that I no longer had possession of the car. GMAC was pretty good about the early termination. The deal on the Denali helped as I was only responsible for one payment out of the three since I was leasing the new GM vehicle.
    peufan - Is it GMAC policy to let remaining lease payments slide if you are turning the old car and leasing another GM vehicle?
    That post was from obyone, but I've read
    a similar case in the Intrigue forum where
    the person was let out of a GM lease when
    they leased another new GM vehicle.
    Yeah, I remember that extensive post about
    the change/dash rattle back when, when
    you posted it.

I also remember rolling my eyes, as I had
    experiences like that with the dealer when
    I had an Intrigue.

When you posted the short quip this week,
    I just laughed.
  • drwilscdrwilsc Posts: 140
    appeared recently at around 17,000 miles on my 99 GS. It's that same one above the speedometer that others have complained about. It of course behaved itself and went away temporarily when the car went in for service. I'd like to try to fix it myself. Does anyone know exactly how to remove the clips and take that part of the dashboard apart?
    The GM dealer who was trying to get me to buy the Denali was initially going to payoff the lease for me...but we all know that it would be rolled into the new price. So I told him to keep the deal seperate and let me worry about the Regal's lease. I had called GMAC to inquire on my payoff figuring it being three months would run me close to $1200. The lady that I spoke to asked how many miles, told her 28,000. She did some calculating and told me if I returned the Regal within the next two days and the odometer did not exceed 28,500, I would be responsible for a last payment of $350.00, so I hopped in the car and dropped it off at the GM dealer and jumped in the Denali, mailing the last check of $350 on the way home. Plus being the second lease with GMAC, you are not required to place a security deposit as with other leases. Careful though....the GMAC lease doesn't come with gap insurance.
    Nice deal on the lease. But, no gap insurance? On both GMAC leases? Is that even legal? Or do some states require it and others do not? My GMAC lease has it here in NY. Good luck in the Denali; talk about bigger and better.
    I've never leased.

What the heck is "gap" insurance.
  • yurakmyurakm Posts: 1,345
    The gap insurance exists not only for leased cars. It covers the difference between the fair market value and the loan balance.

For example, a $25,000 car is totaled the next day after purchase. It was financed by a 60-month loan, one $1000 down. Without the gap insurance, the collusion/comprehensive insurance will pay a fair market value of a used car, i.e. something like 80% of its price, $20,000. The owner is without car, and still owe his bank the difference, $5,000 minus downpayment and the part first month payment going to pay-off, not interest. Something like $3,600.

The gap insurance covers the risk. It is especially important with low downpayment, the longer loans, and the cars, depreciating fast.

About the same is with lease, only somewhat more complicated.
    Thanks man.

Excellent description/definition.

Now what I find amusing is that you called
    it "collusion" insurance.

I know you have been in the US about 5 years
    and still are getting a command of our language. I commend you for that, I am
    humbled by that. In no way is what I'm about
    to say/or have said meant to be a put down,
    as I can tell from your many posts, you have
    a 12 cylinder brain compared to my 6.

Yet, I am amused at the irony of the error, as,
    for most of us, it feels like collusion on the
    part of the insurance company to make us
    buy policies that we don't need, or pay too
    much for them.

Now that I understand what gap insurance is,
    I can see where it is good to know you have
    that option.

Thanks again.
    The GMAC lease on my 98 Intrigue included gap insurance. I think all of their leases do.
    very similar as when a vehicle is totalled, it's contract is bought out and the vehicle sent to the junkyard. When buying out a lease, you consider payments left + residual value. It would be like running the lease to its end and buying it out. On both of my Lincoln Mark VIII's, Ford Motor Co red carpet least had gap builtin. I thought the same for GM. In fact the saleman also stated that it was builtin. Stupid me, after signing the contract and taking the vehicle, noticed the lack of gap the next day as I was browsing through the contract. Needless to say, the salesman was on my "sh*t list". But the bottom line....caveat emptor...buyer beware.
  • BushwackBushwack Posts: 258
    I could sure use a little help regarding purchasing a 2000 (not 2001) Regal GS.

Using various sites like GM BuyPower, Edmunds, CarsDirect, etc. to gather information,... according to CarsDirect, a loaded GS would cost about $24,000 AFTER the $2,000 GM rebate. But can one also go with the GM 3.9% 36 month finance program? Or is it a matter of choosing the rebate vs the 3.9% financing. Here in souhthern California there are still plenty of 2000 GS/GSE models on dealer lots. FWIW, a 2001 model seems to demand an additional $1,500 for the same options.

A quick response from anyone in 'the know' would be greatly appreciated. The car shopping starts this week! Thanks.
  • fastdriverfastdriver Posts: 2,273
    obyone-

I think you should check it out with GMAC, but I have to agree with others here- I believe GAP insurance is included with every GMAC lease.

I have a question for those who are looking at 2001 models more than I am right now. Does the 2001 Regal GS have SEPARATE dual exhausts like previous models or is it just two pipes coming out on one side- the passenger side? Thanks.

fastdriver
  • yurakmyurakm Posts: 1,345
    Thank you for your kind words.

Yes, this is a sort of errors the spell-checker cannot catch. Words are looking similar, but have very different meaning. Such mistakes often looks as a pun. Nothing specific with English: the same often happened in the former USSR with non-native Russian speakers.

Concerning the gap insurance. Unfortunately, it is not always easy available. Some insurance companies offer the options, other not. The same with finance packages: as you can see from other posts, it is not obvious, is the gap insurance included in GMAC lease, or not.

When buying the 2000 Regal with very low deductibles, I asked my insurer, if the gap insurance option is available. The answer was negative. The customer service suggested to buy the insurance from dealer, but I decided instead to take the risk. After all, I'd bear the same risk, would I put more down.