Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buick Regal

Comments

• pinettedpinetted Posts: 104
    As noted in a previous post way back I solved one of the rattles on the right side of the dash by removing the fuse cover and adding more foam padding. My car is a 97.
  • yurakmyurakm Posts: 1,345
    I have a rattle on the left side of dash, just opposite to the fuse cover. Have impression, that the reason is with the left-side dash "cover", that does not cover anything. Do not know, though, is it as easy to remove it as the fuse cover.
    Yurakm I have not looked at that panel but it is probably held in place by clips like the fuse cover. I also have a rattle on the drivers side but I am pretty sure it is coming from something neer or attatched to the steering column. I have not had a chance to look around under there but I hope to do so soon and will let you know.
  • yurakmyurakm Posts: 1,345
    Thank you!
  • frankkfrankk Posts: 35
    I get about 22 mpgs with a 50/50 mix of city and highway driving. On road trips through the mountains we get about 24-25 mpgs with our GS. Haven't taken it on a flat road trip yet...
  • I too have a 2000 Regal LSE with a dash rattle. I have not fixed as of yet , but have found that the Black plastic above the speedometer viborates as you drive down the road. It sounds like a metal clip rattling above the black plastic . Dealer has said they will take care of it when I have it serviced the next time
  • 96gs96gs Posts: 86
    Well remember a few days ago I said I was taking my car in for dent repair, and I was expecting to get an Intrepid. Well, instead they gave me a new Cadillac Deville! I couldn't believe it. Let me just say that the Northstar engine is incredible. You have to drive it to believe it. It's a really nice car. I think the Regal is sort of a baby version of the STS/DTS. They have a lot in common: great looks, lots of power, and a good deal.
    woops forgot a question mark in that last post...
  • verdi942verdi942 Posts: 304
    It just arrived, after 21K miles on my '99 LS - the dreaded dash rattle. It seems to be just left of center and it happens everytime I hit a bump and disappears on smooth roads. The car is going to the dealer next week.
  • teoteo Posts: 2,508
    The Impala's dashboard doesn't rattle not even a bit. Probably that MagBeam support really seems to help the dashboard assembly stay put even under strong vibration. However, the Glove box lid assembly is a source of rattles and some sporadic squeaks. I don;t know about the Regal, but the Impala's glove box latch assembly is very cheap and cheesy. The lid is huge and heavy and the latch is small and made of flimsy plastic. When you close the lid, it doesn't shut all the way creating a pesky rattle. In order to make up for the latch deficiency, the best, cheapest and most effective solution I came up with was to put some metal washers on the strike plate (metal tongue were the latch hooks when u close the lid)screws and wiggled the strike plate adjustment level to create some additional "tension" between the latch and the strike plate. Once I did this, the glove box stopped rattling and now it even closes much tighter than ever before. I also tighten a couple of screws around the center console and Sprayed some CRC all purpose lubricant...now the interior is tight as a drum even in the most broken pavement!

As far as the Regal dashboard Rattle I would suggest for you to tighten visible screws in the dashboard assembly (Screws that hold the black plastic trim in the instrument cluster housing)and try to add some foam or spray some silicone lubricant. If you have the Regal service manual, try to get acquinted with the way the dashboard is installed. Dealers too often are very unsuccessful at fixing interior trim squeaks and rattles..they have no clue!. My cheap glove box fix took me 5 minutes to get done...it took 3 trips to the dealer to have my glove box rattle fix to no avail. Sometimes I believe the simplier problems are best fixed by oneself. Let the dealer deal with the biggies...engine, transmission, brakes.

Just my $1.00
    Thanks for the info Teo, but the Regals interior panels attatch with clips and this I think, is part of the problem. Buick designed the interior without screws for appearance but clips simply do not hold things in place as well. I would much rather they had used some screws and covered them than use all clips. I owned a 87 Mustang 5.0 for 6 years and there were no rattles when I sold it. The same with the 96 Ranger we currently own, no rattles and this is a 4x4 with a very stiff suspension. Over all I like my Regal a lot I just wish GM wouldn't skimp so much on the way their interiors go together.
  • peufanpeufan Posts: 53
    Welcome to the club bud.

Hey at least you got 21k miles before yours
    kicked in. Mine was there at 1k.

If that's the worse thing that this car does,
    I can live with it (though I'll probably have the
    dealer attempt a fix).
    My dealer swears he knows how to fix the rattle; he's been excellent all the way up to now; I'll share any info he gives me.
  • etharmonetharmon Posts: 399
    So how did you like the Deville? Those are nice cars. That Northstar is a hoot isn't it?
    Today, during an extended excursion in Manhattan traffic [>1 hour], the trans started shifting by banging into each gear. Several warning lights also lit up ["security", "air bag" and "seat belt"]. A 5 minute shutdown cured it.
    Oh man, I can't say too many times how wonderful the Deville's powertrain is. The sound of the engine is just incredible. I expected it to just groan or maybe gurgle a little, like many V8 sedans I've been in. But the northstar rumbles like a muscle car when pushed, but is dead quiet while cruising. Everything about the car is wonderful. I have one more day with it before I get the Regal back. I love my Regal a lot as you all know, but man, the Caddy is definitely a major step up and it shows in every way. WAY more expensive however, I would never pay that much for any car.
    Have you driven a northstar?
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    northstar in a regal...

Dash rattle...when I took my 97.5 into the delaer for the dash rattle, they had it figured out in no time....said it was my loose change in the ashtray....
    ...*everything* about the DeVille???

I haven't driven one or been in one, so
    I believe you on all counts, except....

The outside is butt ugly!!!!

There; I said it. Sorry to those that paid $50K,
    you must be alot smarter than me if you have
    $50K to spend on a car, but YUCK!

I'll take the lines of a Regal, Intrigue, BMW,
    Mercedes or just about any Pininfarina designed car any day to the lines of the
    DeVille.

But Hey, that's what makes the world go
    round.

Completely subjective.

my 2¢
    Yikes on that transmission thing.

When you go to the dealer for the dash rattle,
    can they plug into the cars computer and
    with diagnostics, confirm that has happened?

If so, can they isolate the computer/chip that
    is "freaking out" that is controlling the tranny and replace that chip or module?

Keep us posted.