Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buick Regal

Comments

• pacinpelopacinpelo Posts: 142
    Just rcvd the latest MT and the Acura TL Type S is in a comparo feature.....a blistering 6.29 sec to 60...5 speed auto, 17 inch wheels. Nice ride....they kinda took a shot at the interior.
    I will read the full article in the next couple days.
  • bporter1bporter1 Posts: 229
    I do not know if I am right or not but it looks to me when I went to the Powertrain
    website both 3800 engines look to be the same. Again I am not sure. Anyway to access the Powertrain website: go to GM.com, click on the brand website and scroll down to powertrain and click on that. Up comes the powertrain home page, and just click on to the engines icon.
    Once that is done just click on the "other engines" and it will bring you to the information about all of GM's currently available engines. Scroll down to the 3.8l and click on to get the specs. Have fun and let me know if I am right or wrong, because now I am not sure.
  • After 2 weeks with my 98 Regal GS, here's an update (for anyone who's keeping track): I am still absolutely thrilled with the car! The comfort and performance make it a total joy to drive - especially on my somewhat long commute. This weekend I gave it a thorough cleaning inside and out and have been dying to show it off to everyone!

I have only a couple minor complaints with the car itself (see below). My experience with the dealership (an Isuzu-Suzuki dealer), however, has been less than stellar! To their credit, they did a good job repairing an odd stain/burn mark in the rear seat leather. However, everything else has been awful! They took 5 days to repair the leaking oil-pan gasket - several times leaving my wife stranded at the dealership for half a day having done nothing with the car! I recently discover that they over inflated the tires (as high as 48 psi!). I'll spare you all the other details, but suffice it to say these folks are some of the most incompetent, discourteous, and unethical people I have ever met!

As for the car itself:
    - no dash rattles to report, however we're beginning to hear a small rattle from the rear of the passenger compartment (will investigate further)
    - battery went dead on day 2! Nothing like buying a car only to have it not start on you the next day! (I have my suspicion the dealer knew it was on its way out!)
    - have been finding the climate control less than intuitive. Hate it when the thing overrides the fan speed I set and cranks it up to full blast!

That's about it. For the record - there's nothing wrong with the trip odometer (it was my own misunderstanding)
  • jackjtjackjt Posts: 178
    Glad you like the GS. It really is a fun drive. Just so sorry to hear about the poor dealership follow up. There's no excuse, maybe the dealership should be reported to the Better Business Bureau at some point!
  • tpkentpken Posts: 1,108
    Bonneville greetings to all of you Regal owners.
    We in the Bonneville forum are organizing a car meet in central NJ and would like to invite any of you who are in the area to attend. Don't have to live nearby either - I'm coming from Maine - so even you Ct ( Hi there Yurakm!) people might want to take a drive.
    It's planned for Sunday April 22 at Rockaway Mall off Rt 80 exit 35 anytime after noon. We hope to see Bonnevilles, Auroras, Grand Prix, Impalas, Regals and others there.

Please stop by the Bonneville forum and let is know of interest or email me (profile).

I enjoy your forum - take good care of those great Regals.

Ken
  • pgorgespgorges Posts: 28
    I'm afraid Buick will not have the money to make improvements to the Regal. The Rendevous SUV will be a sales and financial disaster. If they continue down this path, I will have to look at another brand for my next car purchase. I love my 2000 Regal GSE, but want the backing of an innovative, performance driven company. Why don't they make the Bengal a reality? Instead, they base their new SUV on the ugliest vehicle ever created. I think the SUV market has peaked anyway.

Just my two cents.
    I agree and feel that Buick has been sitting on it's hand ever since the introduction of the "new" 97.5 Century/Regal. The Rendevous, since it is better designed then the "asstec" and does somewhat fill the void between a minivan and SUV, may be a success. However, Buick needs more excitment, more substance than just a Rendevous intgroduction! Introduce the Bengal, put a V8 into the Park Avenue Ultra, offer the LaSabre in supercharged sport form, further refine and redo the Regal LS & GS to clearly seperate them from Century. More later............like a new Riv or Wildcat:-)
  • tpkentpken Posts: 1,108
    I would dearly love to put a Buick Wildcat in my driveway. That was such a sweet car! Can you imagine dropping a 300 hp Northstar V-8 into a LeSabre with some significant styling changes (no body cladding please though) and an interior with a good set of buckets and a console with floor shifter and real wood trim, chrome 17 inch wheels and appropriate performance tires - then go look for a BMW at the light!

Best wishes to all

Ken
  • bdreggorsbdreggors Posts: 143
    Maybe bring back the T-Type for the LeSabre: supercharged engine, blacked-out grill, drop it a half inch. THAT would be the most kick-[non-permissible content removed] family on the block!

You know, the Park Ave is going to be replaced by a LaCrosse-style luxury crossover around '04-05. Also, the Regal and Century are going to be redesigned for the 2004 MY and there are rumors that Buick might be producing the Blackwood concept in a limited capacity for its 100th anniversary in 2003.

http://www.rideanddrive.com/features/buick-blackhawk-800.html

That's one helluva car!

• armtdmarmtdm Posts: 2,057
    Have to agree with previous post. My experiecne is that you "MUST" inspect the car after every visit to the "ANY" dealer to assure the work was done correctly. they have either over/underinflated the tires, over/under filled the tranny fluid not topped off the oil after a leak like they said they did and the list goes on. Incompentence reins supreme all all dealerships now with, perhaps, Ford taking the lead.
  • yurakmyurakm Posts: 1,345
    Thank you for invitation to the NJ car meet!

Though, I cannot be here: my son have a sport competition the very same day.
  • pgorgespgorges Posts: 28
    Pardon my ignorance, but what was the Wildcat?

On a different subject, I looked at a Pontiac GTP sedan and coupe on a dealer's lot the other day. I just can't get myself to like this car. For some reason it just seems cheaply made. I still prefer the Regal over the GTP or Bonneville SSE.
    "What is a Wildcat?!"

Myths, Legends, and other Information about the Buick Wildcat

In 1953 Buick developed a prototype car called the Wildcat. It came with a 322 cubic inch V8 engine rated at 188 horsepower. The car was revolutionary for the time. The body was fiberglass. The wheel hubs remained stationary as the wheels spun. What the advantage of this was supposed to be is unknown to me.

The first Buick Wildcat produced for the public was sold in 1962 and called the Wildcat Sport Coupe. It was based on the Invicta and intended to compete with the Ford Thunderbird. It came with bucket seats, console, tachometer, a 401 cubic inch engine rated at 325 horsepower. Standard rear axle ratio was 3:42:1. About 2,000 were built.

The 1965 Buick Wildcat body came from the LeSabre. The 401 was still offered, as was the 425. Supposedly there were 5 versions of the coupe offered and 5 versions of the sedan.

1970 was the end. Only 23,000 Wildcats sold in this year of the Muscle Car. But the Wildcat went out in a blaze of glory, packing the Hemi-killing Buick 455 under the hood for the first and last time. This awesome engine produced 370 horsepower and 510 foot pounds of torque. Unfortunately, the genuine Hemi-killing Stage 1 option was not available for the Wildcat.

More at:

http://silverstone.fortunecity.com/saab/307/index.html

• guy21guy21 Posts: 129
    My 1999 Regal LS (25,000 miles) has developed an engine oil leak. It leaves a puddle under the engine oil pan anywhere from 2-4 inches in diameter, but not all the time. Yesterday, the dealer replaced the drain plug and gasket, but that apparently wasn't it. There is no evidence of seepage on the engine, but the problem continues. In the last 1,000 miles of driving, the oil level went down 1/2 quart. Any ideas? The dealer doesn't want to attempt any more repairs until it gets "worse". I'm tired of cleaning the garage floor every couple of days.
    I would think that the dealer could be doing more. Isn't there a dye of some tpye often added to the oil so that the leak can be more readily found? Ask your dealer about it.

If the dealer can't help go to a differnt one!
  • I have never posted to this board but I have read alot of the messages over the last year. This board helped me make up my mind to buy a new GS in February. I would like to change my own oil. Last night I popped the hood open and looked around for the oil filter. I could not find it from the top and I could not get very far under the car to find it either. Can someone tell me which side of the car I need to jack up (or both) and once I get under the car is the oil filter accessible?

Thanks
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    Now look inside the right fender well and you will find the oil filter exposed.
    My 2000 GSE with only 750 miles had a similar oil leak. The oil pan bolts were all loose from the factory. Plus, they put a dye in it to look for future leaks under a black light. Your dealer should have done this also. I am not sure as yert if we found the leak but I think that the pan gasket was it.
  • You just saved me the time it would have taken to figure that out on my own.
  • vcjumpervcjumper Posts: 1,110
    Hey curious, do Regals have front/rear strut tower braces as standard equipment?? I just got the part from GM and installed it in my Intrigue, it does make steering response seem quicker and the chasis feel tighter.
    Believe thay are std on the my 01 GS. Don't know about the LS.
  • verdi942verdi942 Posts: 304
    Tower braces standard on my '99 LS, too.
  • Hello folks. I have been watching this message board for several weeks, mostly to determine what Regal owners are saying about the car. I found very few complaints, only a few minor ones.

I just completed a buy back with GM on my 2000 Impala. I had a major safety problem with it hesitating/ stumbling on acceleration. The car had been in the shop five times for the problem. No one was able to fix it. GM repurchased the vehicle and was more than fair with the buy back.

I hope the lack of activity on this message board indicates that the Regal is a great car with very few problems. I just purchased a 2001 LS California Regal. It just turned over 200 miles.

Today I went to the dealer to purchase contoured mud guards/ flaps. These are common items that can usually be ordered without a problem. The parts man looked it up and also called a phone number. He said that GM does not make mudguards. I asked him if they made them for the 2000 model. He said no. When I picked up the car a few days ago, I asked a different parts person about the mudguards. He told me that he could order them but would have to see if they were the same as the 2000 model. Someone does not know what he or she is talking about.

Has anyone purchased mudguards for their car? If you have, is it possible to supply me with a part number?

Thanks

Ron
  • lkohnlkohn Posts: 13
    A rock decided to hurl itself against my windshield the other day on the freeway which caused my windshield to crack. I had the windshield replaced today and the guy replacing it was very impressed by the build quality of the car. He said he could tell that the car was not made cheaply and wanted to know again what kind of car it is. When I replied 'a Buick', his eyes widened. Then when I said, 'it has a supercharged 3.8L engine too', his eyes got even wider. He couldn't believe it so I popped the hood and showed him. He shook his head and said, "I gotta check one of these out."

scotsman - On the GM Goodwrench website, they have 'flat splash guards' for Regals in the GM Accessories store. They show a couple of different styles, but some part numbers are; 12497420, 12497406, 12497418, 1249418, 12497400. I have my eye on the Trunk Organizer.
    The 01 GS with only 1800 miles on it, just developed a new potential problem. On a random basis, when I start the car up, it sounds like it is backfiring?

Anyone has this problem? What do you think? I will have to schedule a trip to the dealer.
    If the rough start is preceded by you starting the engine and say simply backing it out of the garage and shutting it down and waiting many hours to re start this is a common problem with many models. The computer needs to reset by driving a short distance. Starting and shutting down before car has been driven seems to screw up the computer controls.
    That's probably what it is----doesn't happen all the time. Makes sense...
  • pacinpelopacinpelo Posts: 142
    While driving to the office this morning the low tire light came on and sure enough the right rear passenger was at 25psi. Filled with air not suspecting any issues and resetting the low tire system, the light came on again on the way home 22psi was the reading.
    Cause: A nail the tire, helped me save a flat OR running a few days riding on an underinflated tire.
    Never thought much of this light but it came in handy!
  • BushwackBushwack Posts: 258
    For future reference, how do you reset the Low Tire Alarm? I couldn't find any mention of this in the manual.

On a separate issue, I've driven 5,500 care-free miles on my GS. My only two complaints (or should I say issues) are... the OEM Goodyear LS tires. They are quiet and give a good ride on the highway. But with just a small bit of spirited driving down canyon roads, the grip could be better.

My other issue is MPG. Granted that I drive with the a/c on 80% of the time (here in L.A.), but I also do a fair amount of highway driving. Getting 20-21 mpg combined city/hwy,...I expected better. With all city driving, 17-18 MPG with the a/c on is typical. Straight freeway driving from Palm Springs to Ventura (225+ miles) I do fine at 28+ mpg at 70mph. But that combined 20-21 MPG number baffles me.
    I've got 1880 miles on the GS and have been getting 18 to 19.5 mpg in town. Haven't really taken it on any long trips.

With the gas prices shooting up so, better mileage would be a good thing. Oh, well with all that power available, a few extra cents won't hurt---at least for today:-)