Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buick Regal

Comments

• teoteo Posts: 2,508
    Nice looks but not that radically different from the current car. Is it FWD or RWD? Powerplants? Well its kinda hard to tell from a spy drawing...
  • pacinpelopacinpelo Posts: 142
    Just got my Motor Trend, July 2001 issue. In the news section where they highlight new models there is a small story on the Regal with a very small pic...smaller than the earlier post. It is OK, does not jump at you with any anticipation. The only mention of engine is that in '05 Regal gets a 3.4L overhead cam V-6 from GMs new line. No mention of power or GS model, other than all Regals will be 4 door (duh) and the Century will be dropped after the new Regal arrives.
  • jackjtjackjt Posts: 178
    No excitement in that design. Like the current design much better.

I had a 56 Buick Special with the portholes, don't need them in 2004!
  • frankkfrankk Posts: 35
    "Who wants to keep shifting unless you're 16 years old?"

How about most Europeans?

FWIW, its nice having an automatic after a long day at the office, but sometimes I just wish my GS had a stick. My previous car (Mustang GT) had a stick, and it was more fun to drive than the GS.

Granted, where I live we don't have any traffic jams. If I lived in a typical metropolis a stick would be an unlikely choice.
  • rcarbonircarboni Posts: 290
    "At least they are experienced in performing standard service and standard repairs for specific makes / models."

Unfortunately, this is not the case. I can't speak for Buick mechanics because I haven't had to visit them, but as far as Dodge mechanics are concerned, most owners in the Durango club have more knowledge. There are repeated stories about owners telling the service depts. what the problem is, how to fix it, and the TSB that reports it because the mechanics have no idea.

I had this same experience with Mitsubishi mechanics when I had many problems with a Conquest. They did sloppy work, forgot basic principles, and always overcharged. I wouldn't even let them change my oil now.

I do all my own work that my tool set supports, and for everything else I use a private mechanic that has always done excellent work at a reasonable price.
  • fastdriverfastdriver Posts: 2,273
    frankk-

I didn't know we were talking about Europeans. Besides, if I had to pay $3-4.00 for a gallon of gas like they do in Europe, then I'd probably want stick shift too.

rcarboni-

It's MOST "5-STAR" Chrysler dealers who don't know what they're doing. At least that's the game they try to play.

fastdriver
  • leomortleomort Posts: 451
    My interest is peaking in Regal, probably looking a two year old one. How do they handle in the snow?

Leo
  • "My previous car (Mustang GT)..."

... just thought it was interesting frank - my previous car was also a Mustang GT! Makes me wonder if there's a pattern here, or at least some common rationale(?). For me, the availability of the supercharger was a significant part of why I went with the GS - very reassuring that I wouldn't have to get TOO far away from the power I was used to in the ole 'stang!

Of course other factors including safety, comfort, and cost (I bought used), were the big factors intellectually, but only the power generates that emotional tie.

By the way, you wouldn't happen to own an '88 New Yorker too, would you?
  • beechjet21beechjet21 Posts: 26
    I had the local dealership perform the 15,000 inspection on my GS. When I asked him to check the S/C oil level he told me that they advise against checking the level before 30,000 miles unless there is a sign of leakage. He said that there is a TSB stating this because of problems that they have had with debris getting into the oil from frequent oil level checks. Has anybody heard of this or is it B.S.?
    BMW: I was amazed how dirty the cabin air filter was after only 15,000 miles.
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    check the link for the TSB's on the Regal:

http://www.alldata.com/TSB/07/000708FD.html

I didn't see anything about the S/C oil, then again, I don't have an overactive imagination either.

• b4zb4z Posts: 3,372
    The intrigue's autobahn package has not been available since 1998. They have a pCS package which is similiar. I think the autobahn package cars were limited to 130 mph. Don't know what it is now.
  • ruskiruski Posts: 1,566
    That 2004 Regal on that spy picture looks like a rice experiment on Camry went wrong.
  • one2oneone2one Posts: 626
    I agree. The pic of the 2004 Regal looks more boring than the current Camry. If Buick wants to change its image, they need to reconsider that car. Especially seeing what Toyota's doing with the next Camry.

Camry pic 1

Camry pic 2

• nels1nels1 Posts: 25
    Had to have mine replaced on a 99 LS out of warranty. The charged me 50 bucks and showed it on the bill as an 800.00+ item. It takes about 10 minutes to replace it. The whole thing just plugs in. I think they know they have a problem with this part. There's no way these things should be wearing out so fast.
    That first pic looks like they took some design cues from Saturn. The second reminds me of an Audi for some reason. At least they are trying to do something different.

I don't mind so much if Buick wants to be boring, so long as they improve the performance. If the power doesn't blow away most of the import sedans (as it does now), then the lower price loses all appeal.
  • mwdreammwdream Posts: 91
    Camry looks much sportier, taking some cues from the Solara no doubt. It would be ashame to drive that redesign with a 4 cylinder 100+HP engine. HA HA. Looking forward to seeing new regal design. Glad they are dropping the Century. Its embarrassing to pull up next to a Century with the grandparents driving it and having almost the same looking car, especially lots of them in FL!!! Let the grandparents drive an Oldsmobile, oh no wait... HA
  • mwdreammwdream Posts: 91
    Does anyone really believe Tiger Woods drives a Buick???

Give me $100 + Million and a free Buick and you would have the first dog house on wheels.

Not to knock my Buick but I can tell you with Tigers money there are many more rides I would be in before my GS!
    Easy, easy... :-)
  • hdeapohdeapo Posts: 2
    He somebody has to get groceries,right? I have a 2001 GS and love it drove to NY..(upstate)1250miles in 21hrs on stop except for fuel eats ect.and still was in pretty good shape when I got there except the GS and a deer.Ran over one on the NY.. Thruway,Got the old duct tape out and taped everything back together,drove it back to Arkansas and $1650.00 later it was all back tog-ether again. It's a great ride.
  • Thanks for the info. Its comforting to know that its a simple fix - maybe a dealer will be familiar with this and not try to charge me $800! Actually, I'm thinking of getting the part and putting it in mysef. I don't suppose it just snaps in from the front, does it?

"There's no way these things should be wearing out so fast."

Mine wore out fairly fast too, at about 26K miles. Granted, I bought the car used and past warranty, but it was frustrating since this was only a month or so after purchase. The battery was worse though - it died on me just 2 DAYS after purchase - now that was disconcerting!
  • BushwackBushwack Posts: 258
    FWIW... Those pictures look suspiciously like a Tauras/Sable (tailights???)
  • pacinpelopacinpelo Posts: 142
    BTW, I saw a quick glimpse and profile of the new Altima....The front looks like the new Q45. Base gets a 180hp I-4, BUT get this...a V-6 option VQ Maxima series engine at 240 hp / 246 lb ft torque. Looking forward to September to see em both in 5 speed manual and 4 speed auto. Nissan says it has a bigger interior than the Maxima. Bye Bye Maxima???
  • will38will38 Posts: 30
    I own a 99 GS with the factory Goodyears. I live in Northern Illinois and have had no problems in snow. It's not to bad on ice either. I do drive with caution when it's slippery out. The GS comes with traction control.
  • will38will38 Posts: 30
    I had 7,000 miles on my 99 GS when they replaced the climate control under warranty.
  • jackjtjackjt Posts: 178
    Forgot to mention, you can reduce that copter (sunroof) noise by opening the rear window a bit. It definitely works at lower speeds.
    I remember reading somewhere (can't remember where) that said Nissan is moving the Max to higher ground. They don't have a car that is larger than the Max and the Max is in the mid-size arena (barely). So they are moving the Altima into the current Maxima position and pushing the Maxima into the large car sector (large for an Asian vehicle).

The Altima part was confirmed... the Max info hadn't been confirmed at the time. Should be interesting to see.
  • Does anyone have a supercharger pulley puller that I could rent? I have a replacement pulley, but I don't want to invest the $$$ in a special tool that I would use only once.
  • tpkentpken Posts: 1,108
    Also rumors floating that Max goes to RWD in its new configuration.

When the GM new midluxe version comes out in RWD this certainly gives a bunch of us reasons to do some fun test drives. I wonder if Ford and Toyota will also go RWD and spruce up their product offerings within the next 2-3 years?

Ken
    This company rents the puller tool for $40.

http://www.motorsportsperformance.com/

I should mention that if you have a problem looking at this website with IE as I did, use Netcape.

• armtdmarmtdm Posts: 2,057
    I figured out how they get the five stars. First, the surveys only go out to satisfied customers, I am sure of this as I never get one.

On new cars well, the salesmen keep close tabs on the new owner, frequent phone calls to see if any problems. If no problems and or they have been corrected to everyones satisfaction then a survey goes out. Customers are bribed into good survey, oh, had an oil leak at 500 miles, here's a free oil change coupon to help you out and by the way, give us five stars on the survey you will get in the mail.

The designation is meaningless!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!