Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buick Regal

Comments

• yurakmyurakm Posts: 1,345
    Let me disagree with you in this respect.

My opponent was somewhat mis-informed concerning Regal GS, and nothing worse. He was genuine surprised by some data, and told this. Very natural.

As to "old birds", I like to talk with older people. Always did, from the time I was a small kid. My parent always sent me to my grand parents for the summer vacations. I was spending a lot of time with them and their friends.

Learned a lot from them: from the basic morale and the family (and country) history, and up to some obscure scientific theories which only recently started to go mainstream.

Yes, older people, in average, are complaining more often than younger ones. Does not mater for me.
  • peufanpeufan Posts: 53
    It is my belief that one should learn and
    obtain wisdom where wisdom is present.
    Especially wise is he who can learn from
    anothers mistakes without having to
    go through them himself.

Old, young or whatever.

In my post I stated he is an ODD bird.
    I think you may have misread it as OLD.

At the top of his post (which I was responding
    to) were the words "Back Off".

Since that was followed by his response to you, it was my (perhaps incorrect) assumption
    that he was directing "back off" to you.

Those are pretty strong words; (hostile) disproportionately strong in light of the fact that you were merely stating the MSRP of a car.

I read his response to your post which included you re-emphasizing MSRP and a
    link. Yes, it appears that he then genuinely
    reconsidered the facts as you stated them.

The thing I find disturbing is his attitude in the
    first place. If that post were an isolated incident, it would be one thing, but you and I
    both know from hanging around that forum, that it is not. He consistantly blasts (attacks)
    people based on his opinions, which at times
    are informed, and just as many times, are
    misinformed.

Given the delicate nature of this medium,
    as a gentleman, and someone of his experience and wisdom, one would think
    that diplomacy and giving one "the benefit of the doubt" is something he would have
    learned by now; but apparently not.

In any case, thank you for your post and all your posts. You are a gentleman and an
    asset to all the forums you post to.
    I indeed misread your posting, sorry.

And I indeed did not grasp yet more subtle aspects of English, like what wording is strong and what is soft.

Thank you for the explanations!
  • fastdriverfastdriver Posts: 2,273
    yurakm-

Any word yet from GMAC about that insurance?

fastdriver
    No yet. But my dealer gave me papers, stating that the insurance was canceled.

I am waiting for the next bill. If the payment will not decrease, I will call GMAC.
  • peufanpeufan Posts: 53
    It's funny about the suspension...

In the "base" model LS the suspension
    is called "sport" suspension.

I test drove an LS with the "sport" suspension
    and it is as most people associate with Buicks; floaty.

Seems pretty odd (there's that word again)
    to describe floaty suspension as "sport".

Moving up to the "Gran Touring" suspension
    you get more of a firm ride (though I would like
    even more firm).

You mentioned a bushing as one of the differences between the two suspensions.

Are you aware of any other specific differences?
  • 96gs96gs Posts: 86
    Do you have any sales literature on the 1996 Gran Sport Coupes? I would be VERY interested in seeing it. I have looked far and wide and can't find anything that Buick put out as far as sales literature for the '96 Regal. I have checked all the local dealerships, they threw all their old sales brochures out. My car is very rare, take a look at it and tell me if you've ever seen one like mine before...

http://www.geocities.com/gs96_2000
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    supercharger was introduced as a 1997.5 mid year model. I remember cause my '95 Mark VIII's lease expired in perfect timing with the introduction of the midyear SC Regal.

So where is the guy with the supercharged '95? Did he buy it used? Just wondering cause if he was the original owner and had a supercharger and didn't upgrade, then......
    A lady friend of mine swears by Lexus and only Lexus. She was taken by the looks of the 300M. I told her not to do it. She did about 3 weeks ago. I ran into her last night and asked about the 300M. I can't type her response. Needless to say, one way or another she will be in another Lexus by year end.
  • etharmonetharmon Posts: 399
    Thats pretty bad if she is going on three weeks and already has complaints. I was about to have my father take a look at a 300M or LHS when he replaces his 95 Aurora, but after reading fastdriver's narative as well as others, I'm not going to mention it to him. He probably wouldn't have done it anyway as he has been burned by some of their early 90s offering and loves the V8 in the Aurora.
  • etharmonetharmon Posts: 399
    I have a Buick full line brochure for every year from 1991 to 1997. In the 96, there is not many pictures of the coupe not alot mentioned about it. Those are not overly common. Funny, back when the Regal went to that body style(1988) they only made them in coupes.
    I do not know much about the Regal suspension.

Read about the bushing somewhere on Internet, but do not remember where. This was long ago, about 6 months or so, when I just started to research GS.

However I remember, that the Grand Touring suspension was compared not with a base one, but with the suspension of Pontiac Grand Prix GTP. The later lack this bushing between suspension and the body, resulting is much more sporty ride, or harsh one - depending on wording.

To the best of my understanding, the same is true with other W-body cars: they either have a softer suspension and are leaning when turning, or have a "sporty" ride that let you feel all bumps on the road. The floating feel in spite of stiff Grand Touring suspension is specific for Regal only.

Personally, my wife and I like to feel the road. We would not object for a bit more sporty feel on flat and straight highways, like I-90 in the NY state. But the Regal GS suspension and seats are great for more demanding places. They let us drive fast for hours on winding and hilly rural roads of the Northern CT and the Western MA, without turning tired.
    etharmon- Thanks for looking.

I have written emails to Buick asking questions like how many coupes were built in '96 in black, etc. All I get back is a form letter. Not too enthusiastic unfortunately. I was kind of hoping to get a windowsticker reprint, but Buick doesn't do it. I know Ford does.
    You guys with the new body-style are lucky. There's all kinds of literature about the new models...
  • 96gs,I have the same 96 Regal sales catalog that etharmon has.There werent very many Regal coupes built in 1996 as you rarely ever see one so yours is a rare car.If you want an original 96 Regal sales catalog I can give you the address of several car sales lit dealers that I have dealt with.One shouldnt cost over $8-10.I have original sales lit for every vehicle that I have ever owned which is over (40) now as I'm (51) years old.I also have the original window sticker for every vehicle(8)that we purchased new since 1980.
  • jackjtjackjt Posts: 178
    Yurakm--responding to your post. I agree that the ride on the GS is a bit floaty, but the more I drive it, the more I don't mind. The car reminds me of a little tank (softer riding mind you) that is just glued to the road. As for the seats well they are winners! My wife has terrible back problems (caused by a series of auto accidents) and she can not ride comfortably in most cars. The Regal seats however, have been most comfortable for her. Just as an aside, we had a 93 Park Avenue that she could not ride in and we dumped it in less than a year. So I was a bit hesitant in going back to Buick, but it has worked out much better than I expected! Very happy with the seating and the ride in general. Though a bit more road feel would be a good thing.
    96GS
    "I have written emails to Buick asking questions
    like how many coupes were built in '96 in black,
    etc. All I get back is a form letter. Not too
    enthusiastic unfortunately. I was kind of hoping
    to get a windowsticker reprint, but Buick doesn't
    do it. I know Ford does. "

I think that Buick's treatment of you and your request is very poor! They are missing the boat. If I were you I'd sent a complaint letter to some division Senior Managers!

Good Luck
    Maybe I am to anxious, but if you can get the '00 and I presume it's new, for $23163(? the lower price), minus the $500, I'd take it. Sounds like a great deal to me. Here I thought I did well on my '01 which I get at invoice minus rebates of $1250. Your deal sound even better!!??
    One last question, then I will quit bugging you all. Is putting a K&N air filter in the GS worth it? Do you see/feel any difference? Does it void the warrenty? Would you do it?
    is not worth doing unless replacing the entire intake. I would go with an amsoil air filter instead.

http://www.amsoil.com/products/ts.html
  • nels1nels1 Posts: 25
    I had occasion to rent an Explorer for a week recently, and was somewhat disappointed with my 99ls when I got in it after a week in the Ford. What surprised me was the level of road noise in my car compared to the Explorer. Shouldn't ANY Buick be quieter than an SUV? Well I guess not. Has anybody else noted this problem in the ls or gs or am I nuts?
    Couldn't find an air filter listed for the 01 GS on amsoil's site?
    If you will call the Amsoil 1-(800) number, please, put the information on this board.
    filter for my '00 Denali and '00 Silverado. I put the link just for general info. Good luck. I've been running it in the Denali for a couple of thousand miles. I do believe it filters better than the stock filter. Any increase in airflow is not noticed in the performance of the vehicle even though according to their statistics it should increase. I guess 1-2 hp gain is nothing when trying to move a 6000# vehicle....
    Thank you!
  • Sorry it took so long for my reply! I did by this used from a stock car driver so I would imagine that it is aftermarket! Sorry for the confusion. 96GS my GS looks remarably close to your only my GS is a Sedan. It has the same cockpit plus wheel mounted stereo controls and the same rims. I don't beleive that I have the series II engine though. I am a bit disturbed at my dealer for telling me that my engine put out 210 ponies before the supercharger was put on. I can't complain though because I got a great deal. Also the guy with the 96 Stang did know he was dragging. It was on a closed track. Does anyone know how many ponies a 95 GS 3.8 would put out?
    Ya I'd be interested in ordering a copy. Is there a phone number I can call or a website available?
    It made 170hp and 220-225lb of torque. You have the same rims as mine? I have never seen any like mine before. I have seen the seven spoke version several times on the Park Avenue's, but not the "snowflake" six spokers.
    I've thought about complaining to someone about it but never really got around to it.
  • Hello all. I am looking to get four new tires for my GS. It has the P22560R16 Touring tires that cost a bundle. I need to get nice tires but I don't want to give my left nut for them. I asked in a different forum about this and got the following:
    Toyo 800 Ultra.
    BFG choice is a good one.
    Firestone Firehawk Touring.
    Goodyear Regatta
    Does anyone know of anymore tires that are cheap but still perform well?