Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buick Regal

Comments

• obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    2001 GS for $16,980? I'll take two.
  • teoteo Posts: 2,508
    "I want a new SUV but right now MY FATHER is willing to help me purchase a 2001 GS for $16,980, and I would like this car but I want to get a new SUV soon early in 2002..."

Daddy seems to be plunking the $$$ difference for the new Regal GS...
    Why would he want to do that? Can't convince him to put the same down on a Denali?
    Denali and boy was it a change. Not sure if its better or worse just $13k more.
  • etharmonetharmon Posts: 399
    With gas prices the way the are now I would seriously reconsider a vehicle that will do well to do 20 mpg on the highway. Unless you just need the space and/or towing capacity. As for fast, the GS will do 0-60 in about 6.6 seconds and the 1/4 in about 15 flat. Not Corvette or Z28 territory, but certainly fast for a midsize sedan.
  • si88si88 Posts: 39
    I'm in negotiations now on a Regal GS, sterling silver, with the chrome wheels, sunroof, and GS Prestige Pkg. I already told dealership I am considering the Maxima SE as well. MSRP is $28,910. What is a good deal on this car. I can get a loaded Maxima SE, 5 sp for about $25,500. Can I do better than this on a Regal GS living in the South? I think the Regal is faster 0-60 and safer on the road overall. What's the deal about leather seats drying out? Should I be concerned? Any comments would be helpful? Thanks
  • frankkfrankk Posts: 35
    A GS is comparably as fast as a 5 speed Maxima. It will leave an automatic Max in the dust however.

Regarding how much Max SE's go for: They are typically loaded to the Max (pun intended) and usually MSRP around 30K US. So the GS is cheaper and has better incentives. Unfortunately, the GS is not holding its values as well as it used to (I am hoping to buy my Regal at the end of its lease next year for lease than the residual price, here's hoping GMAC will do it).

Also, while the Regal is very reliable and well built, the Maxima has usually been ranked by Consumer Reports as the most reliable car in its class.

Anyway, would guess that that a GS could be bought for about 4K less (maybe even better) than a comparable Maxima.
  • alanwagenalanwagen Posts: 28
    I have a 2000 Impala Midnight blue. and also a 2001 Buick Regal LS Dark Blue Pearl. Both the some color just a different artsy name. Both made in the same factory.
    I like both of them but for different reasons. I like the look of the Impala but I like the buckets and steering of the Regal. No problems so far either way.
    Right now Buick has 0% financing up to 4 years.
    I could not turn it down and did not have to have any down payment or trade in.
    No incentive to pay this one off early.
    Wow.
  • BushwackBushwack Posts: 258
    $25.5K for the GS is a fair price. I doubt you'll get it for less. Unless....you make the deal on the last day of the month at the last hour of the business day. But to save an additional $200..it just ain't worth it.

Realize that the salesman has to put food on his table, too! $25.5 - $25,750 should be easy enough to ink.
  • When the gas gauge gets near E on my '99 LS, I fill it up and log the mileage. I am normally putting in only 11-13 gallons, yet the car is supposed to have a 17.5 gal tank. Last week I ran it down farther than I usually dare to and the low gas light came on. Even then I could only add 14 gallons. I guess I'll never run out of gas in this car. Does this seem pretty normal to you other Regal owners?
  • pgorgespgorges Posts: 28
    I know the Maxima is a nice sports sedan, but I have no regrets buying a 2000 Regal GSE. I like having an uncommon car that is a sleeper in comfort and performance. Does Buick have any rebates or special financing going on? They had a $2,000 rebate when I bought mine last fall. I got lucky and only paid $24,000 for a loaded GSE. It even has the heated seats, but no GPS system.
    The leather seats could be better quality. I need to treat mine with some cleaner and conditioner. I know you guys talked about this before, but what is the best product to use on the leather?
    Hope this helps in your buying decision.
  • yurakmyurakm Posts: 1,345
    The empty tank light came when about 4 gallons are left, a bit more or less depending on road incline. This is common to all modern GM cars, and probably not only GM ones.

I had read the cars need about 2 gallons of gas to operate right: the electronics does not like interruptions in gas flow, and a pump is cooled by gas. Do not have first-hand knowledge, but this sounds reasonable.

In this case the real gas reserve is only 2 gallons when the light came. Not so much given possibility to get stuck in a 2-hour jam. Very common around NY City, and generally in CT, MA and other densely populated places.

Also, what about 30-50 miles distance between exits in a bit less densely populated places? Like I-90, both in the Western MA and through the upper NY state...
  • jackjtjackjt Posts: 178
    Thinking about getting one for my 99 Olds Silhouette Van and the 01 GS. I got a qoute for the OLDS Van of $767 for 24/24 and $1037 for 36/36. Any comment?

Who have you used for these extended warranties? Have you been satisfied? Any suggestions with contact numbers would be appreciated.
    are discussed under "Finance, Warranty & Insurance" at Edmunds. There are several boards here, named like "Extended Warranty...Should I or shouldn't I buy", etc.
  • etharmonetharmon Posts: 399
    Buick is offering 0% financing for 48 months on the Regal? This is news. Any idea what the 60 month rate is? I have a leased 98 Intrigue that will be GM's in less than 3 months now and I plan to buy this time. These low interest rates are attractive. I've been considering another Intrigue, but could be very happy with a Regal GS is the price and finance rate are right.
    1.9% for 60 months. You may check the current incentives here:

http://www.edmunds.com/new/2001/buick/regal/gs4drsedan38l6cylsc4a/prices.html#incentives

Looks like the incentives are valid till October. Last October (one month only) the 5 year, 0% subsidized GMAC financing for Regal GS was available with $1,000 down. I remember this very well, because we bought our car exactly in October and still are using the incentive. No sense to pay-off early :-).

• brnhstr2brnhstr2 Posts: 4
    I am thinkin bout getting a GS 2001 and keeping it for a year or so then trading it for a 2002 4Runner or other SUV. I do a lot of mountain biking here in NC, and I really want something to keep my bike and etc. in and something with room. I have had a 91' 4-door Blazer and a 95 Z28 and now my dad's older Buick and I know they are great cars for the price, but I can'ty see myself driving one unless it's my friend's Grand National GNX 87 model. God I wish they made a truck like the Typhoon again! Anyway, I think I can handel a new car of any sort now, but am afraid of ahving to buy 93 gas to fuel my way to class everyday at UNC here and back 25 miles to home adn then work 5 days a week. I think with having to buy the 93, that I would probably be spending bout the same as if I had an SUV, no supercharger. That's the thing with the SC's; you have to run 93 jsut to keep it under control and running right. I may trade it for a 260HP Maxima next year unless I really want ym 4Runner. My younger brother has one he pulls his trailer with his motorcycle, jet ski, and goes off-roading often and has had no problems since he purchased it in fall of 97. I hope I can get soemthing soon: I don't want to wait til I graduate from college in 2002 to get a new ride.
  • BushwackBushwack Posts: 258
    Just buy yourself a used pick-up for the next year or two to haul your bike until you've decided which car tickles your tulips.
  • pinettedpinetted Posts: 104
    They do make a truck like the Typhoon, have you checked out the SVT Lighting? I know its not an SUV body but man are those things fast. I to like to mountain bike and it is a little more of a pain but there is plenty of room for a bike in the trunk, and you can always get a roof rack.
  • jackjtjackjt Posts: 178
    Good reply! Totaly agree, especially since I had kids in College----ONCE....