Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buick Regal

Comments

• zathruszathrus Posts: 11
    Keep in mind that the road surface has alot to do with interior (and exterior) road noise. I have found that some tires (make and/or model) on some surfaces are very noisy and vice versa. As always, your mileage may differ :-).
  • BushwackBushwack Posts: 258
    I concur with the few previous posts. My '00 GS with Goodyear LS tires transmitts very little road noise. In fact, the entire cabin is quiet no matter whether I'm driving canyons, boulevards or freeways of SoCal. I wouldn't mind a little more grip from the tires, but I can't complain of a rough/noisy ride. And a bit better MPG,..but I digress.

As for the transmission, it is rare to have problems with a GM transmission. GM trannys are the benchmark of what other manufacturers strive for. Someone correct me if I'm mistaken, but doesn't Rolls Royce, BMW, Jaguar (even though they are owned by Ford) and some Toyotas purchase trannys from GM?

Finding a better car for the money is going to be difficult. Before writing the $24K check for a loaded GS, I found nothing comparable. Maxima, TL, Aurora - all fine cars but lacked the 'bang for the buck' and value of the Buick.
  • bralleybralley Posts: 20
    Still loving my 2000 LS program car(although green with envy reading all about everyone else's GS!) We've had it for 3 months and have put 3600 miles on it so far (for a total of 18,600 on the car). Last week we took it out on a daytrip for the first time and it averaged 27mpg. My feeling is that when I make my next 8 1/2 hour run to VA from SC, it's going to get close to 30mpg. (We were on the interstate for the outbound leg, then came back via local highways)
    The car has not developed the annoying dash rattle, and seems to be pretty quiet on the road. So far, so good.
  • etharmonetharmon Posts: 399
    I know this is not your area, but is there any way you can see what the long term promo finance rates for TN are. The Edmunds link that was previously given seemed to imply the 1.9 for 60 months was for the southeast.
  • jsiebeljsiebel Posts: 2
    I rented several Regal LS on different trips is the South including NC before I bought my GS and like others that have posted did not notices any unusual road noise. It was quiet enough for me to be happy, but I believe this was due to the road surfaces being smoother than in OR and WA. None of the rentals had a sunroof. I wonder that is what is making the difference. The car is quiet in that you cannot hear other traffic go by, but the road noise is very high. You might be in for a big surprise if you drove your car here. My Blazer has at least half the noise of the GS.

As far as the transmission goes, it had oil but a bearing failed. This car was never driven hard, so I guess it is just bad luck.

I bought the GS because the price was very good compared to other cars, but I guess I should have paid more.
  • r2000r2000 Posts: 1
    Does anyone know how to eliminate dash rattles in the buick regal ls?We love our car , but the rattle is nerve racking!Seems to be to the left of center or behind steering column.Also dealer had to replace tail light assembly(water got inside).Please reply;have not taken it to dealer yet.
  • yurakmyurakm Posts: 1,345
    There is a board named "Buick Regal Problem" under the "Maintenance & Repair" section of Edmunds Town Hall. Try the following link:

"Buick Regal Problem" Apr 5, 2001 6:23am

the dash (or under the dash) rattles are very common with Regal. It can be a loose wire, or a loose clip or something else. Reason for a specific rattle is hard to find even for dealership mechanic, after removing the dash covers.

I had a dash rattle from the very first day i bought my 2000 Regal. Or two different rattles - am not sure: passenger and driver heard different noises from different places.

The first service adviser it my dealership failed to write down my complaint concerning rattle. The second refused to deal with rattles, explaining that it takes too much work. After the rattle became even more developed, I make an appointment for test driving with service manager.

He heard the rattle and suggested to bring the car for a whole day, because it is so hard to diagnose. Well, when I took the car back the following morning, the rattle became even stronger. Took two days more to fix. And i am not sure at all it will not return back...
    I recall reading a few posts on the subject of Regal rattles many months ago. If still available, go through the archived posts in this forum. There was an easy find and fix for rattles near the steering column. I just don't recall the solution.

On another issue, for the first time since I bought the car (6,100 miles ago), I decided to check the various fluid levels. With my last oil change at 3,500 miles, I noticed (with the car hot) that I was low 1/2 quart of oil. Of course, the dealer could have given me 1/2 quart less at last LOF service. But I was wondering whether being 1/2 quart low on a GS was common for this engine? There are no oil spots where I park the car and the exhaust looks 'clean'.
  • jackjtjackjt Posts: 178
    Taking the GS into the dealer tomorrow for the muffled backfire problem (when starting the car). I thought it would go away, but I am still having the problem on a random basis:-(

While I was in, I thought I would have them look at my heating/air cond. fan; it's a bit noisy and I do have some minor dash rattles.

Will let you know what happens.
  • armtdmarmtdm Posts: 2,057
    Well, I traded my 98 SE for the Buick simply because I gave up trying to find a Maxima that had the same "BANG FOR THE BUCK" Well, earlier posts said that the Buick was faster etc. and offers more for the money. True, more luxury and accessories for the money. NOT PERFORMANCE After 3000 miles here are my observations. Buick may be slightly faster but it depends on how well you shift the 5 spd Maxima. However, handling/cornering there is no comparison. The Buick handles like a tractor trailer on turns, heavy heavy front end response whereas the Maxima is nimble and corners great at higher speed. Buick just cannot take the turns and the weight just seems huge when going into the turns.

reliability, two previous Maximas never saw a dealer, new buick, been in twice for oil leaks.

GM dealer trying to talk me into 3000 mile oil changes regardless of indicator light! Typical American car service rip offs but all are similar in this regard.
  • jackjtjackjt Posts: 178
    I looked at the Maxima as well and ended up with the GS. I agree with your handling observation; the GS seems quite heavy/jumpy on hard cornering, which dissappointed me. However for straight line performance, looks, comfort, and overall value, I would still take the GS. I am happy with the car. Since I intend to keep the car for awhile, I hope I still feel this way in 5 years!

With all this said, the next time I buy a "sports" sedan, handling will count for more in my decision making process. Hopefully by then, Buick will have retained all the pluses and significantly improved handling!
  • frankkfrankk Posts: 35
    The Goodyear LS's are pathetic, which explains why the GS doesn't feel great on curves. A data point: my Bridgestone Blizzaks have no more winter compound left on them, so I left them on this spring (they still have 50% of the tread left). The GS handles better with the Blizzaks (these are snow tires!) than with the Goodyear LS's. If I buy the GS at the end of lease I'll get some real tires for it. Hopefully GMAC will be willing to bargain, because the residual price is more than used GS's are going for.
  • mwdreammwdream Posts: 91
    I was looking into getting a supercharger emblem put on trunk lid like the new models have. Buick charges $24. Found these on internet for anyone else interested in adding the "Supercharged" emblem like the Riviera had and NEW Regals have.

http://www.allroadster.com/mall/tm1114.htm

Supercharged rear emblem ($16)

http://store.clubgp.com/sidedecals.html

Supercharged decal stickers ($6) script decal

• pacinpelopacinpelo Posts: 142
    Comforting news:
    In speaking with someone this weekend who owns a 97 GS and has 93,000 miles and has been very reliable. Sugestion on handling: Eagle LS offers no support for this car (as we know). Suggestion was to install the sway bar that is present on the Pontiac GTP but not Regal, also BF Goodrich type tires work well.

??? A thought ???
  • b4zb4z Posts: 3,372
    I am a intrigue owner but i thought i might comment on some of the issues you have posted about in the last week.

All Wbody cars have what i would call high road noise. GM added additional rear wheel well liners on the '01 intrigue and impala. They have helped some, but it is still too much.

I believe the regal has a rubber donut between the suspension and the car. The grand prix and intrigue have it bolted directly to the body, hence the better handling but higher road noise in those two cars.

Yhe dash rattles are intersting in a car with such a soft suspension. My intrigue's dashboard creaks at the A pillar and rattles at the console. Do your regals do that too?

Do your cars have the clunky suspension and popping sounds when turning right?

For those of you looking for more refinement try looking at the intrigue, its DOHC engine is smoother than the 3800.

I have noticed that regal sales are way down. Do you think buick will be the next on the chopping block?
  • etharmonetharmon Posts: 399
    Regal sales are down now and Intrigue sales have been slow for the past two years. Two excellent sedans yet the buying public seems to not realize what an excellent value both are. And just how excellent these two cars perform. I guess the old saying "you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink" holds true in this area more than ever. I guess a little advertising wouldn't hurt as I haven't seen a Regal ad since "the official car of the supercharged family" ads of nearly 2 years ago. When was the last time you saw a Taurus or a Camry ad? 15 minutes ago probably. With Olds now out of the way, GM needs to funnel some advertising resources to Buick and fire that ad agency Oldsmobile used! Funny thing, I have yet to see an ad other than the one on Buick's website promoting the low finance rates on Regals and Centurys,
    The 2001 Gs has the same rear wheel liners as the GTP and Intrigue.

*I* don't think the DOHC in the Intrigue is any smoother then the bullet-proof 3.8 ltr. It's a fine engine, but the maintenance will cost an arm and a leg (as it does with most DOHC).
    All in all, if others do not care about the DOHC, I would recommend the car if for nothing else, its 5/60 extended warranty.
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    You didn't see the regal ad with Tiger Woods? With what they paid him for that one ad....well there went the years budget.
  • pinettedpinetted Posts: 104
    I don't know why these Intrigue owners keep saying how rough the 3800 engine is, or how soft the suspension is. I have owned several stiffly sprung cars, a 5.0 Mustang and a Mitsibushi Eclipse and I can tell you the Regal has a firm suspension. It does not roll or bounce and is rock steady right up to its 111 mph limiter. As far as rattles go all GM cars I have ever ridden in or owned have dash rattles. Not that I don't like my Buick, I do, but the dash rattles more than my 96 Ranger 4x4 and that has a stiff suspension! The 3800 is one of the smoothest engines out there, mybe the 3.5 is a little smoother but it sure sounds like it has more problems with leaks and starting hard. In fact the Intrigue seems to be plagued with all kinds of problems. You know what they say, pride in ownership improves performance.
  • rcarbonircarboni Posts: 290
    Camry sales % are down YTD about the same as the Regal. Do you think the Camry will get axed?

Obviously, when the vehicle doesn't change, the sales volume tapers off. Buick needs something better to get more people interested, and drop these "theme" models (Olympic, Abboud). If I were running things, I would tune the suspension, get some better rubber, and bump the hp up to 300 as it was in the concept GP. Then copy all the little bells and whistles from the likes of the Lincoln LS and Lexus, and price the GS under $30K and the LS closer to $25K.