Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buick Regal

Comments

• ...like Avalons 'n' Lexi [Lexuses?] 'n' Beemers, etc. BUT!!!..They list for more and SELL NEW for more than Regals. ANNND...they're not necessarily built much better. Soooo....drive your Buick into the ground [may it take MANY miles] and enjoy a different kind of bargain car. For the record, my '02 LS Abboud, which stickered for $30K, tax included, will be mine in 3 years for $22K, tax included. By then, of course, it'll be worth about $8K, tops. And, unless it goes 'lemony', it'll still be a superior automobile.
  • I've replaced 2 window motors under 40k miles on my 98 Regal GS. And currently have a 3rd sticking or broke. I don't know what the deal is... I guess just plain old cheap parts. My wife just had both her window motors replaced on 97 GMC Safari with 55k miles. Lucky ext. warranty covered the $300 each job. Never buy a used GM car without extended warranty!
  • Just had the oil changed at a Valvoline instant oil change place. I have 7800 miles on a 2002 Regal LS.

They added what seemed to be a gallon of the orange coolant to the overflow tank. They said the level was well below where it should be.

I am wondering if they are wrong, if the dealer did not top off that tank when I took delivery, or if the car is using coolant.

Obviously I will keep an eye on this from now on...just wondering if anyone else had a similar experience ?
  • armtdmarmtdm Posts: 2,057
    My 2000 was also low from the factory but I did not need a gallon to bring it up to snuff. Maybe a quart. Has not changed since then. I think the factory is saving a few pennies per car on the coolant and the tank is also shaped very weird.
  • I don't think it was a good idea to have them top off your reserve coolant tank. If the tank was low, I would have driven to a Buick dealer and have them top it off (if needed).

I wouldn't take my car to a Jiffy-Lube, Econo-lube or similar shop UNLESS I watched every move they make (and would only allow them to perform a LOF - no fluids to be checked or topped off).
  • An update on my earlier post number 2030:

I purchased the power window motor and the external temp sensor from my local dealer. The sensor was a dealer item and could not be found at a parts store, while the window motor was a lot less expensive from the dealer than a parts store. The sensor was $12.07 and a snap to replace. The window motor was about $80 (as opposed to $130 plus a core charge of $50 from the parts house). The motor took about an hour to change and was not very difficult. All is well now. The external temp did not immediately read correctly and I thought there might be a more serious problem but it read correctly the next morning and has been fine since. I guess it had to calibrate or something, I don't know. The temp reading had bugged me more than the window and I was happy to get it fixed so easily.

I also finally got around to calling the dealer to ask how to change the cabin air filter. I had tried to change it on several occasions before and could not figure out how to do it. The cabin filter was a bit of trouble to change, but it sure needed it at 55K.

The quick lube place that I use recommended replacing the fuel filter so I bought one. I cannot find it on the top of the engine and I am not going to crawl under to do it. I will let them do it the next time I get a LOF. I know they really wanted to sell me their fuel filter for 3 times the price but they will just have to settle for charging me for the labor.

I will have the car paid off in a few months and am planning to do some preventative service to it.
    Any thoughts to pre-emptively replacing all the belts and hoses, thermostat, flush and refill the coolant, transmission flush and service, new plugs and wires and, from what I have read on this forum, replace the head gaskets?

It may seem a little silly, but I HATE to break down on some lonesome highway because of a $20 hose or something. Been there, done that ...it ain't no fun!

Thanks for the good discussions on this forum!
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    That would be a first for me. Then again, I never thought of the preventative maintenance angle on that one. Just remember there are two to replace.

Cabin air filter replacement is throught the passenger side of the engine compartment just below the windshield. Been awhile since I changed mine wish I could offer you more help but the memory isn't what it once was. I do remember it took like 10 minutes to do.
  • Well two quick things...
    1) 2,000 miles ago (approx 21k miles) the rocket scientists at the buick dealership turned my rotors but said the pads were fine...That was the LAST time they'll ever do that...brakes are grinding a bit already. I understand I need pads and that they're not covered by the warrantee, but I don't want to run out of warrantee with rotors that have been cut twice.
    2) Can any of you drive with your windows open? I'm not sure if its' just where i have the seats, or if i need a stuffed animal in the back window to catch the wind or something, but if i have any more than one window open at speeds greater than 35mph, the wind vibration drives me absolutely nuts...Is this just poor design or is there anything I can do (other than just using the A/C?)
    Thanks,
    Rick
  • mrrogersmrrogers Posts: 391
    On my 98 LS, I had the rotors turned at 30,000 miles, and replaced them at 75,000 miles. My 2001 LS has 55,000 miles, and the original rotors have never been turned, and they work fine. I wonder if GM changed the rotor design at some point?
  • Actually, I did watch as the service was performed on the car. I am not sure how much coolant was added...what may have SEEMED like a gallon may have been a quart or 2.

Also wondering what tire pressure folks use around here on factory tires ?
  • y2112yzy2112yz Posts: 19
    I kind of have the same problem with the wind vibration too. New cars are so damn air tight anymore, unlike the old days when the wind would whistle through any kind of crack possible. In order to get rid of this problem, actually a co-worker suggested this. If you have the driver window down or the driver and passenger down, crack the other windows a couple of inches and the wind wipping through the car won't be so bad. Sounds crazy I know... I can drive down the expressways here in Chicago at 65 or 70 and the wind noise is not that bad. It won't be a gail force wind coming in either, just enough to keep you cool and the wind noise to be tollerable. The key is too keep all the windows opened the same amount.
  • Jack44Jack44 Posts: 221
    When I crack open my drivers window I always drop the rear window behind me about 3 inches...Wind doesn't then blow in on you...Also, tire pressure...Been long time since had factory tires [get rid of them as soon as possible] but always use 32 psi....
  • BushwackBushwack Posts: 258
    During the summer, I put 32 psi front and 30 psi in the rear on the OEM Goodyear Eagle LS tires. With the rainy season around the corner (as much rain as L.A. gets), I'll use 28-30 psi on all corners.

It wasn't until a few weeks ago that I noticed 44psi is the maximum pressure for these tires. Why Buick wants us to set pressue at 30 psi...I suppose it makes the ride softer and creates more tire/road contact.
  • verdi942verdi942 Posts: 304
    To get the best all-around performance from those Goodyear LS's? My LS, with GT springs, was delivered with only 25 PSI. Great if you like a soft ride and some corner squeal! I tried 32 PSI all around; great if you don't mind a few shocks, no squeals and about 2-3 mpg more! Maybe the 30 PSI sticker is the best, after all.
  • Ok, last night, on the freeway it was empty, my break-in period over and I wanted to see how fast I could go.....well at 110 it cut out! Totally sucks, how do I disable that?
  • BushwackBushwack Posts: 258
    108 MPH is the limit set on the Regal GS per a computer chip (the Gran Prix GTP's top speed is either 128 or 134 before the chip kicks in).

Wanna go faster??? You'll need to change the chip (if possible). Some of the enthusiast web sites for the Gran Prix may have that info (read thru the Gran Prix forum here in Edmunds).
  • y2112yzy2112yz Posts: 19
    I too back the 108 MPH limiter on the GS. I tested mine on a long back road in Iowa. It stinks I know. The Grand Prix's I think are limited to 126 or 128 MPH, I forget. The top speed on the S/C 3.8L is like 142 MPH. Any event, in older PCM's you could install a chip to change the rev limiter setting. Most new cars you can't do that. I did this to my old Lumina though, where you can open the PCM and install a chip that plugs into the stock PROM.
    Most new cars you either have to send the whole PCM to a company that can change this or there are devices out there that you can plug into the diagnostic port underneath the drivers side and change the RPM setting that way. If any people on this board have done or know if this is possible or not, please let the rest of us know. Or can you take the PCM from a Grand Prix GTP and install it on a Regal GS. Same engine and transmission. Possible??? Wishfull thinking I know...
  • pinettedpinetted Posts: 104
    My 97 GS cuts out at 111mph. So there seems to be a little variance.
  • You can also go to grandprix.net, which has a link to the gp store, which also has Impala, Regal, etc. stores connected. Can get lots of stuff, including Konis if you are so inclined. Good luck...one often wonders what the geniuses at GM are thinking. --LAMRON
    With rear windows down, lots of vibration noise, on my toyota too.

Tire pressure, if 44 psi is max I run 42 all year. Harsher ride but much better wear and handling. If pressure max 35 psi I run 33.
  • oldsman01oldsman01 Posts: 1,203
    I'm actually considering looking at a Regal GS. I have a 2001 Olds Intrigue which I love(131 mph top speed) but have a recurring tranmission problem which can't seem to be repaired. Local Buick dealer is selling 03s at invoice and financing for 60 months at 0%. They have some 02s remaining as well so I can only wonder what type of deal can be had on one of those. I like the Intrigue's crisper styling and tighter handling over the Buick's, but a GS at a good price might tempt me. GS owners, feel free to chime in about your car and how you like it. Thankfully the Olds is covered under warranty for 60K so I'm not out any $$, it's just the inconvienience of having to take it in for service for the same problem multiple times. If a Regal GS doesn't tempt me too much(and an excellent deal) then I'll probably just hold off a year or so and buy a Cadillac CTS which is what I really want.
  • My Regal has 47k on it so I want to change out the tranny fluid. My dealer has a machine that changes 100% of the fluid (I forgot what they called the machine) instead of the 30-50% fluid change with a dropped pan and screen change. He said they flush out the old stuff, put in a solvent to clean it out, flush that out, then refill with fresh fluid. He also said, I don't need to change the screen because the solvent takes care of cleaning it. All this for $120.

Does this sound like a good deal? I'm skeptical about the no-need-to-change-the-screen part. Thanks for your learned advice in advance.
  • mrrogersmrrogers Posts: 391
    I changed the transmission filter and fluid on my 98 Regal LS at 35,000 miles using Mobil 1 synthetic ATF. I am now at 80,000 miles, and the transmission performs fine.
    at 29,000 miles I recently syphoned (no drain plug) out the fluid (about 4 quarts which is about 50%) and replaced with synthetic. Manual says severe is 50,000 miles, normal 100,000 miles for a change. I personally do not like flushes as no one wants to change the filter after the flush is done which is when I feel it should be done. On another car I have 149,000 miles, drain and fill every 30,000 (a plug) and did the filter twice, once at 25000 and again at 130,000. Both times the screen was clean, only the magnets in the pan had some debree on them. Beleive the Buick has a regular filter not a screen but I have no intention of changing the filter until 100,000 miles. Some of these flush systems are nothing more then boat payments for dealers and using solvents scares me.
  • jackjtjackjt Posts: 178
    Coming up on two years with my GS. Still solid and a fun ride. This colder weather here in the midwest is quite welcomed by our superchargers---car seems much quicker!
  • just got rid of those goodyear ls's (25,000 miles)and put on my 2000 gs, a set of michelin mvx4's. what a difference. no more squealing, and much improved handling and braking particularly on wet pavement.
  • verdi942verdi942 Posts: 304
    ernie - May I ask, how worn were your Goodyear LS's at 25K; what did the Michelins run you; and did the noise level change at all? Thanks.
  • I hope if the new GM Regal designers read this they are working on making the interior less cheap looking. They should take a close look at what Nissan and Honda are doing.

But another problem I have with my GS is the dumb looking wheels they put on this car. This car has a supercharger, it should have some sportier wheels. A nicely cut set of alloys would go a long way toward making the Regal the Buick sports sedan that they are counting on. Take a good hard look at Nissan and Infinity. I can see the LS models having old man rims, but come on with the GS already. Its pathetic. Consider some 17 inch standard on the GS also please... You want to attract a younger demographic don't you? Let's try a bit harder in the wheel department for the GS, I think you'll be surprised at the increased interest once you shake the old man image. Maybe you'll see people under the age of 70 in the service department waiting rooms for a change.
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    old man rims and old man image......
  • Out with my Dad's 02 Regal GSE the other night I found myself searching for some more action after a hotshot in a new acura 3.2tl thought he would teach me a lesson. ha! he ate it big time. I like buicks with some balls nowadays