Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buick Regal

Comments

• 96gs96gs Posts: 86
    I like black the best. I test drove a white GS also and it really looked nice as well. Black is very hard to keep clean, so you have to have a lot of time and patience.

I looked seriously at a '98 black Intrigue with the 3.5 a few weeks ago. It really looked nice and the interior was also really nice. I really like the car, but I think I want a little more power.
  • 99gs,Find the supercharger drive pulley and then look 4-5" to the right of it.There is a little plug there that takes a 3/16th allen wrench to unscrew it.Its pretty snug.Its almost straight down from the plastic cover over the engine.Fill with supercharger oil until you reach the bottom of the threads.It only took me about 5 minutes to do this.Remember to do it while the motor is cold.Good Luck.Doing it yourself will save alot of money.
  • 99gs99gs Posts: 109
    Thanks for the directions, regalluvr1. I'll post to let you know how much oil it took. Since I haven't gotten the oil yet I was just curious if the supercharger oil was thicker or thinner than motor oil?
  • 99gs,The supercharger oil is real thin like mineral oil and very expensive.If Buick sold it by the quart it would be $60.00 but I doubt anyone of us would ever use a quart in the life of our cars.Be sure and blow any dirt away from the fill plug before removing it.
  • peufanpeufan Posts: 53
    I go away for a few days and they "remodel" the whole place.

This is more of a "test" than anything else, just to see if I can post.

Bushwacked, glad to hear that it *finally* worked out with the
    deal you wanted.

Like I said to you privately, some of those dealers assume
    all buyers are uneducated idiots just frothing at the mouth to
    overpay them for their cars.

Nuff said (testing 1, 2, 3 I'm gonna hit the post button
  • etharmonetharmon Posts: 399
    If the Intrigue you looked at was a 98 then it had the 3800 V6 as they did not get the 3.5 until 99.
  • Hi folks!

After driving a '93 Pontiac Transport mini-van for 134,000 miles of sterling performance, I finally broke down and traded it off on a spiffy little 2000 Regal LSE. What sold me on this was the leather interior, sunroof, and 3800 engine (which is what I had in the Pontiac).

Now granted, my Regal isn't as quick and aggressive as most of your GS supercharged vehicles, but I still love it.

What I'm wondering is, any tips, comments, "watch out for's" that you can advise me? Also, this is my first car with a leather interior -- what is the best way to take care of it?

Thanks for any info.

John aka jdinstl
    etharmon- My fault, you're right, it was a '99 not a '98. It did have the 3.5 but I didn't drive it. I kind of wish I did to see how it was though.

jdinstl- Congratulations! Even the unsupercharged 3800 is very peppy and no slouch in the performance dept. either. There's really not much to look out for because there really aren't too many problems to report. Some have reported an annoying dash rattle, but that's about it. As far as leather, I use Meguires (sp?) leather treatment that you just rub right into the leather. Works great. I do it two or three times a year. Keeps your leather soft and clean.
  • BushwackBushwack Posts: 258
    Can someone recommend a 6 disc CD magazine to complement the Monsoon system? Seems Buick isn't prevy as to which CD magazine will work with the Monsoon system. Monsoon has no mention on their web site either.

Any info/specific recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
  • You made a wise decision in purchasing a 2000 Regal LSE.Just do your routine maintenance and you should have alot of trouble free miles.I still change oil every 3000-3500 miles.Just a week ago we got my wife a 2000 LS.It and our 98 GS have leather interiors.
  • pinettedpinetted Posts: 104
    I just visited the RT sight and theres a guy there racing Camaro's and Mustangs thinking he is keeping up. I used to own a Mustang and I know my Regal would not beat it. I just wounder what these guys are thinking. The RT is over a full second slower to 60mph than the Regal. Mybe they should try racing V8 Camaros and Mustangs.
  • jackjtjackjt Posts: 178
    I have an 01 Regal with 478miles and like it ---allot! Will let you know if and when I have problems!
  • 99gs99gs Posts: 109
    It's interesting how we both came to the same conclusion from two different directions. I was convinced when I bought this car that it would be a foreign make. I tried TL, I30, Accord V6, Camry V6, Pas sat, & Audi. The last car I drove was a Regal LS. It had a great combination of driving characteristics that won me over. I never really considered a GM car until I drove the Regal. I ended up with a 99 GS. You had a good experience with your GM van and you wanted something with that same motor which is a great testimonial. Glad to hear it. Thanks for posting.
    Edmunds seems to have added a couple of new buttons down near the bottom of the messages. You should see a check messages, subscribe and message center buttons. It appears that you can subscribe to the board and it will automatically check for new messages. If you save the message center address as a bookmark I think it will have all the new messages and then you won't have to go through the shenanigans to get to the latest posts. I hope!
  • etharmonetharmon Posts: 399
    I'm not sure about other brands, but a GM/Delco changer should work with the Regal's in dash radio. If I'm not mistaken, the car is already prewired for it or at least they used to do this.
  • yurakmyurakm Posts: 1,345
    When I drive with the seat heater on, even Lo, I feel a burn smell. Rather light - my wife does not feel it - but I do not like it.

My car is rather new, bought it only two month ago. I hope the smell is not from leather, but from wax, or something of this kind and will go away.

Did anybody else feel this? Did the smell go away?
    From what I've gathered so far, an AC Delco CD magazine will not work for it is a Monsoon system. A rep from Circuit City told me I need to look at Panasonic. I have an e-mail inquiry to the Monsoon people and I'll see what comes of it.

Thanks for the feedback!
  • Do you ever have to change the Supercharger Oil? It seems odd that you would just keep checking its level without changing.

Bushwack-Let me know what you hear from Monsson on CD changer.

(I do not like the new posting format)
    I just read in another forum of a web site that has just about everything covered in regards to anything that is audio automotive. At this link () ...and I hope this link works....it shows a GM 12 disk magazine for $360 excluding harness. Seems expensive. Nevertheless, take a look at it as a "FWIW". I'll get back to ya'll when I find out more from Monsoon and at 800-4A-Buick.
    So far no smell with the heated seats, though haven't used them too much. We have in excess of 20 inches of snow so the new Regal is staying in the garage for awhile. I have a van that can brave this lousy weather!
  • The owners manual never says a thing about changing the supercharger oil.There would only be two ways to get the old oil out.Suck it out with something or take the SC off and turn it upside down.I'm guessing the SC will last the life of the car if we maintain the proper oil level.Bearing failure would be the only thing that could ruin the SC.Does anyone know the SC's total oil capacity?
  • I am having trouble posting also. 1999 Buick 16000 miles, having dash problems with the tach stopping and trip odometer cutting in while driving. After a day everything is back to nomal to repeat the problem days later. Suggestions?
    I received a response from both Monsoon and Buick regarding assistance in finding a compatible 6 or 12 disc CD magazine for the Monsoon system in the GS.

Basically, both referred me to my local dealer. Neither Monsoon or Buick Customer Service can answer me what magazine (if any) is "Monsoon" compatible. My local Al & Eds (a large car stereo dealer in southern California) rep says that only the Kenwood KDCC715 10 disc magazine will work with the system. yet I recall reading a post many months ago in this forum that Panasonic makes a compatible magazine.

Does anyone have a 'magazine' installed with their Monsoon system???
  • L8_ApexL8_Apex Posts: 187
    that this post will take (I'm as frustrated as you) and...

...that you all will welcome me, the host, into this forum since, as something of a Christmas present, we traded my wife's Neon in on a '98 GS with everything but the heated seats. I had negotiated a deal prior to her seeing the car and took her to see it yesterday. They offered my $4500 for her Neon and $14500 for the '98 with 30K on the odometer. It was a lease turn-in, black and dingless and with one scuff in the rear bumper. Chrome wheels, moonroof... everything but the seats but she was OK with that.

This is the first automatic I've owned, or rather, co-owned. My wife put a bicycle pedal through her knee as a kid and has a bad "clutch" leg. She's been complaining about driving a stick for a while since the pain gets worse every winter. Since the torque on this GS is so fat, I don't mind giving up the effeciencies of a manual. It has a few more months of the warranty left but I've already cleared a pulley and intake for installation. I'm wondering...

What synthetics are recommended for this car? I've already replaced the engine oil with Mobil1 but what about the ATF? Redline? I've used Redline in several cars with excellent results. I tried calling Thrasher for last few days but they must be on holiday. Surely, I'll stick with GM's supercharger oil. I'm thinkin' 270hp by summer... Any thoughts?

Later,

L8_Apex
    Sedans Host
  • I am going to post in the Trans Am room to see if any T/A owners with a Monsoon have installed a magazine.

Hell, trying to post a message is like impossible in this new format...Hello Mr. Host.
  • I've been driving my 2000 GS for a year. These are my most/least favorite things about this car. Full disclosure: All things considered I love this car.

Most:

1. Acceleration - nothing less than awesome. As we all know, the supercharged 3800 is one mongo torquer. What a blast to touch the gas!

2. Comfort - the seats couldn't fit me any better.

3. Solid - like all Buicks this car is built like a tank.

4. Reliablity - zero mechanical problems (except for #2 below).

Least:

1. Styling - the word bland comes immediately to mind. This is a well-engineered car but from an aesthetic perspective the Regal is not going to set too many hearts aflutter. When I first got my 92 Taurus (last new car before the Regal) some person in a parking lot would always be asking about the car. In the year I have owned the GS I have never had a single stranger come up to me and comment on the car or even ask a question about it. So while (thankfully) it is not as gruesomely butt-ugly as the new Impala, Buick should hire some Chrysler designers and put a pretty shell around that sweet mill of theirs.

2. I have had the #$%=@& infamous dash rattle since the day I got the car. Arrrgghh! Dealer tried (unsuccessfully) to fix it.

3. I have the gray leather interior. The gray carpeting is too light of a shade. Despite regular cleaning the carpets look perpetually dinghy and soiled.

4. The entire interior could be more refined. I also have a 2001 Passat (wife's car) and the difference between its interior and the Regal's is dramatic. The Passat is sophisticated the Regal is pedestrian. From the quality of the leather to the overall look and feel the Passat has it over the Regal in spades. Yet both cars sticker for about the same $$$. Take the Regal's (wobbly) console - borderline cheesy. And that ugly gap in the back of the console! What are these engineers thinking? And despite the mammoth dashboard the glove compartment is too small even hold the binder that contains the owner's manual! These kinds of knucklehead design aspects really bug me.

5. I find myself fiddling way too much with the Climatronic system just to get comfortable. I thought the point of it was set and forget.

6. I was expecting that the Monsoon sound system would sound better than it does. It's certainly adequate but somehow I was expecting to be more impressed.

What do you like most/least about your Regal?
  • If it takes over (5) minutes to type in a post it wont take it anywhere.If you want good info on your SC3800,etc go to turbobuick.com and ask questions on the SC3800 message board.Alot of guys there drag race their SC3800 powered Regals and can give you lots of advice on most anything about hopping up a SC Regal.My wife says I'm not hopping up or racing our 98GS.My 86T-Type Regal is the car I light the tires up with.
    L8- Congratulations man! You will not be disappointed.

I like the looks of my GS very much. I have had many people come up to me and ask what it is and say they like the way it looks. I agree about the interior light gray color, it seems to show everything. My floor mats are trashed from all the salt and wet slush from the past few weeks. I have yet to have a rattle. I do have a few creaks when it's really cold, but even BMW's would have that -15.
  • Just got back from SC3800 Tech on turbobuick.com and a guy there has 3.25" 3800SC pulleys for sale for $115.00.That will wake up your 98 GS!
  • yurakmyurakm Posts: 1,345
    Thank you!