Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buick Regal

Comments

• Hey, I have a question, I have a 1990 Buick Regal and it has stopped running bought a new battery and a new alternator it is still not turning over. Won't start at all. All the lights come on, when I open the door the pinging noise go off but no start up. I had the last alternator tested and it was bad, anyone ever had this problem and could this be spark plugs. :cry:
  • jipsterjipster Posts: 5,345
    When we had the problem with our "94" Buick Century wagon it was the starter.
  • kjsteelekjsteele Posts: 2
    After I posted this, I finally got inspired and checked the fuse. Although the wire inside did not appear to be broken, I replaced it, fired up the engine, still no instrument cluster. So, I disconnected and reconnected the positive cable one more time, and, voila! It's worked steadily now since I posted the initial problem.

Actually, all the lights and messages would flash twice and then disappear. Sometimes they would flash like crazy, disappear, and then reappear ten minutes later. I'm guessing it's the fuse, but I'm no electrician.

After a while, it's a bit unnerving to be driving without knowing whether you have gas, how fast you're going, etc. The car would drive normally, though.

The initial problem did appear to be related to moisture, and would act up after rainy nights, etc. This time, however, nothing seemed to help. Do fuses "wear out"?

Yeah, it does losing the presets, but that's the least of my problems. Disconnecting the battery was something my husband had figured out, so I just took it a little bit further.
  • wisspurrwisspurr Posts: 2
    Was wondering if anyone else has experienced a leak in the trunk. It's on the right side, just above the wheel well. The weatherstripping around the trunk looks good, so I am wondering where else it could possibly be coming from. Thanks!
  • wisspurrwisspurr Posts: 2
    Is this the same as the 3.8L V-6 MFI SC?
  • Yes, I had the same Right Side leak in my 99 Regal, and did nothing with it. Have not done anything, and it's gone way. Weird.

Hey, how many gallons will your cars take when the gas light is one.

Thanks,
    J.M.
  • dwodwo Posts: 3
    Hello,
    just found the forum. I have a 2000 Regal. When I put the key in the ignition and turn it to on (just before cranking) all the dash lights will flash on and off continuously until I turn the key back off. The car will not crank. the lights just flash and the chimer will make it's normal sound. Sometimes it will crank, but will only go about a mile before shutting off again. Then, back to the flashing dash lights when I try to start it.
    Has anyone had this weird problem? This is the first problem I've had and I have 88,000 miles on it.
    I've read that the computer that reads the security key, may be going bad. Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    David
  • tsu670tsu670 Posts: 293
    No doubt by now you've already checked the battery. I've read that a low or dead battery cell can cause the symptoms you decribed. :sick:
    Not sure if I understand your question, but the "SC" stands for Supercharged. The motor comes on Regal "GS" models, has 240 horses and burns premium gas. The supercharger is located near the top front starboard side of the engine.
  • dwodwo Posts: 3
    Thanks, Yes battery is ok. I was told it may be the ignition switch. So I took the covers off the steering column and tapped on the switch(black box just under the key insert) and WOW! problem cleared up and car started fine. Take key out, put it back in, dash lights start flashing, tap up on the switch and lights stop flashing and car cranks! So I guess I'll get a new switch and see if it cures it.
  • Well the old girl has 150k on her now (99 LS) and I'm getting some noise up front. Sounds like the wheel bearings are going. Anyone have any experience with changing these, like how much will it set me back? Thanks.
  • jbmjbm Posts: 29
    Fellow 1998+ Regal GS owners:

My factory Goodyear Eagle LS tires (which have a reputation of being just mediocre tires) are still going strong (tread-wise) at almost 50,000 miles on my 2002 Regal GS. But I suspect the road noise and handling could be much better with a better set of tires.

For those of you who replaced your Eagle LS tires, what did you replace them with and what did you notice in terms of difference in noise, handling and wear? If you could include the size of your replacement tires, that would be helpful too.

Thanks,
    jbm
  • Jack44Jack44 Posts: 221
    A good alterative...and I have these...Is the Falken Zeix 512's...Size 235/55 x 16...
    Excellent tire and very reasonably priced...Much better handling than the Goodyears...
  • yurakmyurakm Posts: 1,345
    My wife and I drive mostly in town, and OEM tires wore out at about 33k miles. 3/32-4/32 of tread was left on old tires, and they became unsafe. 2000 Regal GS.

We live in Southern CT, suburb of New Haven. Road pavements are not good in our town. Like pavements in Moscow, Soviet Union, in end of 1980-th. Except CT is hilly and roads are winding and in some places lean side to side. Cannot imagine the OEM tires to serve 50k miles on our roads.

I replaced OEM tires with Bridgestone Potenza 950. They hold road substantially better - either dry, wet, or in downpour. I can compare, because our other car is 2004 Regal GS with the same OEM tires, about the same mileage on tires, and I often switch cars.

The new tires are bad in wet snow, however. We stick once, could not go uphill from full stop. Had to wait until town trucks spread sand.
  • sigfigssigfigs Posts: 6
    It has been a while since I have posted here, but I thought I would give an update on my '99 Regal GS. I purchased the car new in August 1999.
    233,450 miles to date

oil changes with Penzoil 10w30 every 5,000 miles (now use the High Mileage variety), I lose about qt between changes now

checked the SC oil every 30K and add as needed (never really needed much)
    I have never completely changed this oil.

changed plugs and wires at 100K and 200K, also replace both serpentine belts at these times

replaced tranny filter every 45K

I use a permanent K&N filter (the stock replacement) clean every 20K

I replaced the OEM Goodyear LS tires when they wore out with Yokohama Avid Touring tires (I live in Louisiana and have NO snow), I have replaced three sets of these Yokohama tires, usually get about 60K on them.

Problems I have had:
    Had to replace the A/C control display after about two years, I bought the module from gmpartsdirect.com and replaced it myself.

Replaced pwr sterring pump @ 150K

Replace fuel pump @ 160K

Have had to replace plastic idler pulley on SC twice, along with new belts.

Driver Information Display went out, sent instrument cluster to mrwhizard.com for repair, about $140.

About six months ago I had to have the intake manifold lower gasket replaced and the air flow mass sensor, $800

Replaced the AC compressor, condensor, & accumulator @ 200K, bought the parts @ gmpartsdirect.com

Today I just picked up the car from the transmission shop having the tranny rebuilt.
    Mechanic told me that after 233K miles it had just worn out, I just smiled.

I have loved this car for six years, driven through nearly every state, and look forward to another 100K.

Feel free to comment or ask any other questions.
    :)
  • jbmjbm Posts: 29
    Sigfigs

As a 2002 Regal GS owner (with a comparably measly 50K miles) :blush: , I have to say congratulations, and thanks for the info! wow that would be great if mine held up that long.

-jbm
  • BushwackBushwack Posts: 258
    I replaced the OEM Goodyear LS on my '00 GS with same size Yokohamas (Avid). Theses tires are much quieter at highway speed. I replaced the tires at 30,000 and now at 45,000, the tires look as if they have plenty of treadwear left. If there is a con, I think traction on cornering as a bit btter on the Goodyears. Then again, my days of taking corners at 40MPH are looong gone. You should go to link title and do some research.
    I have an AC Delco 12 disc changer in the trunk of my 2000 GS. It was designed to work with the Monsoon. If you have OnStar, the changer will not work (has something to do with Buick having two different monsoon systems - cosmetically they look the same but the rear of the unit is different if you have OnStar).

I got it directly from a Buick dealer. They should have the part number
    I had the same problem last summer. The simple aswer may be to...clean your key! That's right...take a damp cloth and clean your key. When the Buick rep suggested I do this, I thought he was a sandwich short of a picnic basket. There is a computer chip (or something like a chip) embedded in the key that can give the car's computer a false reading if its dirty. When the key is dirty, sometimes my car will not crank, other times it will light up like a xmas tree and other times the car starts up as it should. Try a damp warm cloth, clean the key, dry it off with another cloth and hopefully this will solve the problem.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,461
    Resistor chip in key. If your key has the 2 mm by 3 mm black resistor at the end of the the part that goes into the key lock, try cleaning it with a pencil eraser. That will remove scudacrud that builds up. I have occasionally had trouble with putting in the key and the car not starting because of the security check. (Try 3 times to crank when it doesn't and you have to wait 3-4 minutes before you try again. That's a pain, but good security.)

I carry two sets of keys in my pockets and they pick up lint and crud and occasionally don't make contact.
    I tossed out the Eagles at 28k miles and replaced them with Michelin X-Ones. At the time it was the best tire they made (might still be), so kind of pricey. Very quiet due to harder compound, but excellent handling in all kinds of weather. I've known others to get over 100k miles out of them. :shades:
  • barney5barney5 Posts: 3
    Can anyone tell me where the outside air filter for the AC is located and how to replace it on a 99 Regal?

Thanks
    Ichecked your profile and you live in a northern clime. I'm in Ohio where we get some snow.

My X-ones gave me trouble after 70K only because they had lost a lot of their forward traction on snow ice. The Michelin salesman said it was because much of the siping had been worn past its depth. The lateral traction due to the large circumferential grooves was fine. It was just stopping and starting. They still had 30% of tread depth left.

I replaced them with Harmony's which were rated on Michelin's site as a 9 for snow traction, which the Sears version was rated 8 (less tread depth) and the Discount Tire's version (Integrity?) was rated 8. They are all on the site even though the Harmony comes up easily.

I'd recommend wearing one pair more on the front and put the rears with better tread on the front part time for winter and then as you get past 60% wear one summer, put two new tires on the front.
    What "outside air" filter? Cabin air filter that few cars had in 1999, or the common air filter - for air which go into engine intake?

Any case, first open the hood. The intake air filter is in big black box on the driver side. Cabin filter is under the black plastic panel with a grid of small holes, just under windshield and side wipers. The panel is made of two parts; the cabin filter is under the passenger side half-panel.

There is a wonderful online manual how to change Chevy Impala cabin filters. It applies as well to other "W" cars by GM, including Buick Regal.

http://www.impalahq.com/HowTo/Cabin_airfilter.html
  • barney5barney5 Posts: 3
    Thank you so much!

It was the "cabin filter" I was looking for. Boy, they hid it well! The Chevy instructions are excellent... I hope the Buick is the same.

Thanks again.
    Cannot be 100% sure about 99, but I used the instructions when changing cabin filter of my 2000 and 2004 Regals. BTW, the filters are not available at Pep Boys, and OEM filters at dealerships are expensive. I bought even better filters online, but it took some time to find them:

Click here
    Thanks for the site info. I've been getting cabin air filters at NAPA and have noticed the price going up every year. Still not as expensive as dealer, though. Anyway, the site you provided is a much better value than even NAPA. All the best, Ken.
    I bought cabin air filter last fall from PepBoys Purolator brand for $16 or $19. I forget which. I think the dealer had said about $25 swhen I bought the unit with plastic frame to retrofit my LeSabre. I imagine the Regal has the same filter.
  • jpstax1jpstax1 Posts: 197
    I had a 3.5" SLP pulley installed on my '98 GS last Friday. The Buick dealer also installed a special device between the IAT sensor and its wiring harness. It's supposed to increase the timing by 1-2 degrees. In another forum, two guys said to be careful using this device, because it could cause serious engine knock, resulting in piston damage. Here's a link to the SLP site, showing the device:

http://www.slponline.com/view_product.asp?P=63012

Does anyone else think this device could cause major engine damage? BTW, the new pulley increased S/C boost by 2 psi (from 8 to 10). I noticed a big difference in acceleration. SLP says gains up to 25 HP are possible with this pulley.
  • Jack44Jack44 Posts: 221
    Do you know you need to add timing?...
    Do you have an LS1M or similar device that you can monitor your timing?...
    If the 2 people that mentioned that it 'could' hurt are from regalgs.com they are correct...The cost of replacing pistons can be expensive...and it would probably be the #1 and #3 pistons...