Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buick Regal

Comments

• Jack44Jack44 Posts: 221
    Also change fuel filter...and add more pressure to your tires...
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,076
    You might run a quality fuel system/injector cleaner through. Techron by Chevron is one that I prefer after hearing it recommended (along with Chevron's fuel) by a radio car mechanic for years. Put it in on a near empty tank. Add just enough fuel, preferably quality brand -maybe even plus grade. I do that with my 3800s in LeSabres about every 20K, maybe less if I have to use off brand fuel like I've done some lately.
  • jpmiller99jpmiller99 Posts: 50
    I can't find the EGR Valve on my 99 Regal? My Service Engine Soon light will go on and off, and I want to check it for carbon buildup.

Can anyone help me?
  • tonyf2tonyf2 Posts: 24
    My problem has come back. I took the car to the dealer when the 'service engine soon' indicator was on and the dealer told me that I need an Air Pump (Air Injector Reactor Pump). I searched my entire shop manual, I can not find this part. Can you tell me if they will add or replace this part. I can sure use your advice. Thanks.
  • e_net_ridere_net_rider Posts: 1,380
    Does anyone have the fan turn on temps for this 95 3.1?
    Seems the problem is back to that. Daughter and boyfriend picked up car and by time they got it home the fans weren't coming on again. He says he has one of those infrared thermometers and read 258 at the thermostat housing. Seems way high, but I don't know the calibration of his equipment either.
  • tsu670tsu670 Posts: 293
    Please view message #1289 for details on EGR.
  • knz3knz3 Posts: 3
    Hi everybody,

I bought a 99 Regal LS. it has 81,000 miles. I am wondering is it the time to replace the timing belt? or it has a timing chain instead of time belt?

Thanks a lot!
  • batistabatista Posts: 159
    It's a chain so no need to worry.
  • i have 1999 buick regal it getting bad gas milage i have replaced the gas filter& the air filter and spark plugs and ran inj. cleaner in it and it sill gets bad milage it did get 21 &23 in town and 27 on the road now it get 18 in town and 22 on the road can you tell what to do. thanks,,
  • Hello - I wondering how much my Regal should be advertised for? (if anything :) This is a new situation for me. I have a 94 Buick Regal Custom. 172,000 miles. The good - it runs, I drove it every day for the last year. New fuel pump last November. New power steering hose 2 months ago. The bad - no a/c, needs oil change, will need tune up sooner than later, drivers side windows do not roll down. The worst - Needs rear brakes, new rear rotors, 2 trailing arms and left rear ABS sensor.

Body has some rust but nothing extreme. Interior is average with stains on carpet. My brother bought the car new and always had the oil changed, general maintenace done.
    I will tell prospective buyers the truth, would never knowingly lie to someone. Is the car worth anything ? I am really out of my element here and would appreciate any thoughts you have on this subject.
    Thanks!
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Hi and welcome!

Someone here might have some suggestions, but while you're waiting, I suggest you hop over to our Real-World Trade-In Values discussion and ask Terry (rroyce10). You need to pay close attention to the information required that is listed at the top of the post box.

Good luck!
    In the past some Regals had a dim display on the climate controls. There were some links to the web that I had found that talked about repairing the problem. Does anyone know more about this... it seems cheaper than replacing the unit.
  • Thanks for the link and the welcome !
    Sharon
  • jipsterjipster Posts: 5,345
    Go back to around April of 2004 in this discussion. I posted the same question back then(mine had gone out) and someone posted a link that showed how to take out the control panel and repair it. It looked like a couple wire connections needed to be saudered together.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Regarding jipster's reply to you, the Search This Discussion feature might be helpful to you.
    Thanks. I tried doing searches with single and multiple key words here in Regal because I thought this is where I had read about repair. But I came up empty just like with internet searches I did.

I'll use Jipster's time hint and go back to that month's messages and read through.
  • jeffcjeffc Posts: 16
    I recently bought a 2001 Regal GS from my father....54,000 miles, great shape. The only problem i have is that the suspension feels "loosy goosy" so to speak. When accelerating hard, it feels like it squirms or shifts sideways when it shifts. it isn't torque steer i know that feeling. I was gonna replace struts, but that to me would be more of a up and down motion. I noticed when I was waxing it, it seemed to shake side to side for a lot longer than normal. Also, when pulling in the drive way, which has a fairly high curb, as each wheel goes over the edge, the car seems to shake all over the place.

Also, when driving on certain roads I start to get that "front Wheel Drive" hop sensation at certain speeds. had the tires balanced, but it still does it at times.

Any ideas? Could bushings be a factor? Engine mounts? Struts? I don't want to keep dumping money into it and only be guessing....
    What kind of tires. I noticed that some tires seem to give to the side more than others. ARe they inflated above the recommended pressure to give some stiffness?

Another aspect is alignment. The rear wheels can be in specification but make a difference in how the car feels. Shifting would move the weight around and give one rear wheel more control over the other. How does it drive on roads where the trucks have made ruts due to their overweight? Does it still go fairly straight or does it seem to want to wander from one side of the rut to the other.

Put the rear alignment in the middle of the specifications again and see if that doesn't improve the drive.

At 54K if you've not replaced struts I'd recommend some good ones especially if you want it to drive right. Replacing struts means an alignment so you could kill two stones with one bird.
  • tsu670tsu670 Posts: 293
    Another thought is possibly ball joints. Best to replace them both at the same time even if only one has gone south.
  • mrravenmrraven Posts: 1
    My son's wife managed to slide their 2000 GS supercharged 3.8 off a driveway and over boulder, resulting in a bent bracket below the radiator and a ruined leaky radiator. I've eyeballed the bracket and can straighten that out with no problem once the radiator is out.

They are barely making ends meet so I'm thinking of trying to help him replace the radiator. I'm a poor mechanic at best and would appreciate any and all help so we can figure how to remove the radiator correctly.
  • When I accelerate from a stop, there is a dramatic loss of power (major hesitation for about (2- 4 seconds), then it takes off. This happens only when the engine is cold, then after a few minutes of operation the problem goes away.
  • Is it possible to supercharg or put a supercharged crate motor in an LS?
  • It may be possible but not practical. I don't think the LS' transmission can take the torque the supercharger would add (the tranny is different then the tranny of a GS).
  • yurakmyurakm Posts: 1,345
    In addition to heavy duty transmission, GS have different fuel pump, and other parts - do not remember exactly, but something with front axes / joints / balls. Even the battery is different.

Probably a used GS would cost less than the conversion.

By the way, did you consider to put the 5.3l V-8 from 2006 Impala in your LS? Looks not much different.
  • im too poor to buy a tuner car as well as mods for it so im tryin to find some body kits and upgrades for my 92 regal custom 4d w/ a 3800 in it can someone plz help me????
  • Hi-
    I'm looking for the front engine torque strut mount (looks like a dog bone) with the gasket set for my fiancee's 92 Regal Limited 3.8. I've been able to find the "dog bone" metal piece but unable to find it with the gaskets and that is the part that has worn out on her car. Any suggestions of a good supplier? Thanks!
  • Have a new (to me) Abboud "Olympics" GS, and am having some difficulty very recently finding Premium (93 Octane) gas. There is plenty of 87 Octane.

What is the real skinny on what type is really necessary.

I have heard that you can run on Regular forever with absolutely no adverse effect on the engine because the computer adjust the timing, etc. for Regular. However, there will be a performance loss of as much as 10%. Is this a true statement?

My OM says 91 Octane. I remember reading somewhere that you can mix your own Octane Rating by combining the correct proportion of Regular and Premium, e.g., 5g of 87 + 5g of 93 = 10g of 90. Is this true?

What if you run several tanks of Regular and then switch back to Premium? Any harm in this? How long does the computer take to adjust to a new Octane Rating?

What does Buick really have to say about this?

Thanks in advance for your responses.