Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chrysler Minivan Transmission Problems

Comments

• shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    Yikes! You're responding to a message that is nearly six years old! ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • My wife has a 98 T&C and loves it. It has a few minor things though. A while back the automatic door locks (when you hit 20 MPH or so) quit working, the traction control quit, and more recently the cruise control quit. The van also will sometimes shift erratically but still goes in & out of gear fine. I was wondering if this is more likely the transmission control module or a problem with the transmission itself? Any help appreciated.
  • chowbuickchowbuick Posts: 13
    hi i just read your post please read my posts on this sight chowbuick i have a 1998 plymouth voyager the transmission pump seal was found leaking like a siv during a routine oil change when they took the tranny out to find the problem my torque cover and case had ahuge crack resulting in rebuliding my tranny to the tune of 3600 and beacause i have over drive it cost that much trannys for my van were impossible to locate even thru plymouth i had 120,000 miles on mine and no shifting problems if you swee my many other postson this sight i have had a nightmare with my van also just for saftey sake watch you serp belt and tensinor if the tensenor is out of alignment it will chew you belt good luck to you ihope you have better luck with your tnc then i have with my voyager
    "...crack resulting in rebuliding my tranny to the tune of 3600 and beacause i have over drive it cost that much trannys for my van were impossible to locate even thru plymouth..."

I'm really thinking that you need to find a different dealer. These transmissions are VERY easy to find and they do not cost any $3,600 either. We have the 3.8 liter engine in our 1998 DGC (which means that we too have the 4-Speed OverDrive transmission), and when the torque converter failed this spring my local dealer located AND installed a factory remanufactured transmission in three days. Cost? $2,600.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • chowbuickchowbuick Posts: 13
    shipo i dont have the 3.8 i have the 30 everytime i post truth or anything on this site you slam me down i also had to replace my case i have no idea of where you are but i have the bills to back me up if you can find your parts go for it with my blessings but please dont act like this ios a joke because it is not after all there are some lemons in everything i was just unlucky and got one
    Dude, I'm trying very hard to be the voice of reason here in spite of your very negative rhetoric. The fact is that I have a real problem with folks using anecdotal evidence of one vehicle (with an unknown an unknown service history no less) as a blanket indictment an entire model or brand (even brands that I'm not fond of for one reason or another).

Your most recent post about your transmission woes seem to indicate that you've been dealing with a less than scrupulous dealer (not an unheard of thing for any brand). That you had to pay as much as you were charged (and then apparently had to wait for the pleasure) leads me to believe that you've not necessarily been treated the best. As for which engine and transmission you have; yes, I know that you have a Mitsubishi engine. What I was trying to say is that our vans have nearly identical transmissions and to refute what ever you were told about the availability. Like it or not, there have been millions of these vans made over the years, and there are plenty of these transmissions in the rebuilt/remanufactured pipeline.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • gregmangregman Posts: 24
    Anybody able to recomend a quality cooler for my '05 T&C LX.
    Prefer not to deal with Chrysler on this item due to excessive markups on parts.
  • vchengvcheng Posts: 1,286
    I have used a Hayden unit from PepBoys with my 1999 DGC with no problems. You may want to check those out.
  • gregmangregman Posts: 24
    Thanks for the info vcheng. There are no PepBoys where I live but can you give any details? Did you do the install yourself? Is there any difference amongst coolers?
    Hayden oil coolers are sold by a number of outlets. Check whatever chainstores are in your area. You can start your search here:

http://www.haydenauto.com/hdoilcoolers.htm

There are several models, rated according to GVW. I put in the biggest "Rapid-Cool" unit I could fit in there. I did the install myself. The kit comes with everything that one needs. The cost was about $70.

If you have a choice, choose a plate-and-stack type cooler as there are more durable and efficient. The pipe-and-fin types work too, just not as well in my opinion.

Good Luck.
  • jasonmwcjasonmwc Posts: 6
    How difficult was it to install? I have a 2006 SXT with a "mini" trans cooler already installed (that is what the dealer called it) so the lines are already running from the transmission.

Thanks.
    ... is very easy to install. I just took off the bumper cover to gain easy access to the front of the radiator, and installed and plumbed the add-on cooler without a problem.

All told, it took about 2 hours, allowing for a couple of beer breaks. Be sure that you route the hoses carefully so that they do not chafe against anything.
  • I have been fortunate with this older van. I bought over a year ago with 120,00 now have 158,000. I have had to replace only mechanical things (struts, tires) and had one trans service done at about 138,000 . But now I am worried. At starting up the engine there is an intense jumping rumbling that remains for about 5 miles then drives smoothly.Every morning this jumping rumbling is stronger and lasts a little longer. does anyone know what's about to go?
  • bob134bob134 Posts: 1
    Rebuilt transmission at 90K miles. Van now has 155,000 miles and it is "harsh shifting" when slowing to a stop, also occasionally "harsh shifts" when going forward.
    Repair shop replaced control mod today---still having same problem.
    can this be fixed reasonably?
    (3.3 engine)
  • lar4lar4 Posts: 6
    I have an 84 caravan with the 3 litre automatic. I have 320000 km on it and it is just starting to stick in third gear and not shifting down when I come to a stop. Any ideas?
  • ALL MINI-VAN TRANSMISSIONS HAVE A DOWN SHIFT PROBLEM .
    ( VALVE PROBLEM ) THREE DROPS OF BRAKE FLUID IN THE TRANS
    AT FOUR MONTH INTERVALS WILL CURE THE SHIFT PROBLEM AND
    AT 150,000 MILES YOU CAN TRADE A GOOD TRANS IN ON A GOOD VEHICLE .( SAME KIND )
    YOU MUST ALSO CHANGE THE OIL ( 1 GALLON IN THE PAN )
    AT LEAST TWICE A YEAR . THESE TRANSMISSIONS REALLY NEED THE ADDITIVES THAT KEEP THE SHIFT PATTERN SMOOTH .
    I KNOW HOW TO FIX THE TRANS ,BUT IT IS A PILE OF TROUBLE FOR THE AVERAGE AUTO MECHANIC AND UNLESS YOU HAVE A DEGREE IN STATIONARY ENGINEERING , YOU WONT KNOW WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT ( EVEN STAT. :sick: ENG`S DONT UNDERSTAND IN MOST CASES .)
    IT IS NOT A SIMPLE FIX FOR CHRYSLER
    I think that the wise participant and lurker here in the Town Hall will take your comments with a very large grain of salt. Said another way, anybody who attempts to follow your advice will do so at their own risk.

FWIW, given that the above post was your very first here at Edmunds two things occur to me:
    1) Said post was hard to read as it was all in "caps" and as such it comes off as somebody who is just ranting (and thus easy to ignore), and
    2) Until you've posted here for a while your credibility is highly suspect and from my perspective at least, very easy to discount.

If I've unjustly dismissed your claims, please, offer some supporting science to back up what seems to be a preposterous recommendation.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    I looked at the oil and it seems to be over filled couild this be the cause of inproper shifting?
    Did you perchance look at the oil level after the engine had been off for some period of time or was the engine running and the engine and transmission warmed up?

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    I just bought the van in Dawson Creek BC Canada and drove it down to Vancouver. I did check all levels before the trip and it was a bit high .5 litres to much the van was running and in park when I checked. I siphoned some out and got the level right but now it doesn't want to shift into third until it is good and warm. I am really hoping on an easy cheap fix for it and not a transmission job any help would be great. This is my first mini van and I enjoy it and want to keep it in good shape but am hearing night mare stories about them now. I am not sure about that brake fluid in the transmission deal and am not willing to try it at this time. Thanks for the help.

Larry