Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chrysler Minivan Transmission Problems

Comments

• Just an FYI . . .

We recently sold our 1994 Grand Caravan ES with the 3.3L and 4-speed ECT. We got 162K on the original transmission, but it was starting to act a bit weird at times (hard bump downshifts, etc.) prior to selling the van. In excess of 150K is possible on the original transmission, but we drive very conservatively and changed the ATF every 24K or 2 years. The only real strange symptom was about a year after purchase in the spring of 1995, the transmission went into "limp mode," but after a reset all was fine, and it never did it again - very strange.
  • My 2007 trans seems to be fixed, dealer installed computer update for transmission and it is now shifting verry smooth :shades:

Best Regaurds

Brokenspoke
  • tom166tom166 Posts: 31
    Happy to hear that your vehcile has been fixed. Mine, it improved a lot but I still have the problem. Will be taking it back in on the 5th.
  • That is good news.
    Dealor called and said the software update came in last week. Taking it in tomorrow. 2007 sxt

Hope it works.
    Let me know if that has fixed yours.It helped mine, but I still have the problem ,but not as bad.
  • Just picked up my 2007SXT. Drove it about 18 miles. So far it shifts fine. Nothing like it used to. No more weird downhshift into 1st at slow, stop and go speeds.
    The paperwork references TSB 21-015-07. They reflashed the
    pcm. Good luck. They said this fix just came out 2 weeks ago. Good luck
  • I got a 96 town and country lxi, the transmission started slipping real bad. I want to replace it but it is impossible to find one. is there any other tranny that would work with my 96 lxi motor is a 3.8l please help anyone.
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    If you value your van, go to your dealership and have them put in a Factory Remanufactured transmission. The reman is built to the latest 2000 model year specs for that generation of that transmission and is the only Generation 3 minivan transmission designed specifically for the new ATF+4 transmission fluid. That and you get a 3-Year and 36,000 mile warranty for your $2,600.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • izzy5izzy5 Posts: 2
    Computer says it is the TCM - which I thought was located in front of the battery. However, when part was ordered it was not what I thought. We could not find the location of the TCM. I am hoping someone has experienced the same issue and can advise.
  • izzy5izzy5 Posts: 2
    I am experiencing the same problem with my van. I was wondering if you got any answers or how you resolved the problem. Please feel free to email me any suggestions.
  • issyissy Posts: 6
    I purchased a 2007 T & C Touring van top of the line about 5 mths ago. I took it to the dealer about a mth later complaining about the transmission. On stop & go traffic the van thumps and stumbles on 1st gear. Dealer did a computer update but found nothing wrong. I went back 2 wks after that with the same problem. Now the dealer dropped the transmission and replaced the 1st gear. Nothing wrong, yeah right. I again took it in the 3rd time with the same problem and the dealer stated nothing was found wrong it's just how the van rides. I am not convience with this answer so I am taking it to another dealer for a 2nd opinion and a freash set of eyes. I have had many vehicles of different makes and models and never experienced anything like this. Unfortunately I purchased my van before Chrsyler started their "lifetime warranty." I only have 36, 000 miles coverage and my van has appx 10,000 miles on it already. Anyone having the same problem? Any solutions? Thanks.
    There is a new TSB out that seems to be quite successful in addressing the rough shifting issues of the 2007 transmissions. Said Service Bulletin is TSB 21-015-07 was released in just the last two or three weeks and according to all accounts that I've read, every transmission that has had the firmware update outlined by the TSB has been successfully cured.

FWIW, as I understand it, Chrysler "upgraded" the clutches in the 2007 transmissions to some sort of a Kevlar composite that is far more robust than previous versions of the clutches, however, they apparently have a different coefficient of friction and that is what is causing the problem.

Keep us posted.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    About two weeks ago, I had the updates and tourgue converter installed. It did help but I still have the same problem. Took it back in and they didn't feel what I was feeling. Going to take it back and leave it over night so they can take it out cold.
  • I have an '04 DGC that also had transmission/steering problems at 36,000 miles. All the repairs were covered under warranty. Now at 60,000 miles, here are are going down that road again. So far, repairs are covered under the powertrain warranty. Shouldn't yours have a 7 year/70,000 mile powertrain warranty on the transmission?
    Yes I do have the powertrain warranty and I've had the problem ever sense I drove off the lot with it.
  • I had the update done too. It helped but the problem is still there. Dealer told me to proceed with the Canadian Motor Vehicle Arbitration Plan (CAMVAP) as there is nothing else they can do.

Papers are signed, just waiting for the hearing.
  • issyissy Posts: 6
    I have a 3 yr/36,000 mile bumper to bumper powertrain warranty. Only 2 1/2 weeks later, Chrysler announced a "lifetime" warranty. I went back to the dealers to see if I could get it and they told me "no." Should have waited but who knew..... I am not very happy with this transmission acting up like this, not normal at all. Never owned a vehicle that did this.
    They lied to you as there was a relatively inexpensive "lifetime" warranty that you could have purchased (although I believe that offer has since expired).

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Yep, you should have searched the web a little bit before taking the dealers word for fact. It was readily available from your dealer or you could have upgraded online through several different DC dealers who were selling them. You might still be able to get it but at a higher cost than if you would have purchased before Sept. 30.

Does anyone know if the lifetime warranty will cover computer updates?
  • I've just spent some time reading some of the posts from 7 years ago about the "fabled Chrysler tranny curse". I'm a Chrysler Master tech of over 20 yrs and I can tell u this. It's late 2007 now and Chrysler has done amazing things with their trannys over the years to make them stronger, more durable and reliable. They've done EXCEPTIONALLY well!!! But...let me bottom line it for you as well. If you own a 2000 or newer Caravan or T&C (Voyager having been discontinued) and you don't take proper care of your transmission (regular and proper flushes) keeping in mind also that the filters don't need to be changed anymore unless you, the consumer, request it, your transmission is not longed for this world or any other. As I saw stated before, you must maintain tranny's properly and THINK about what u're towing with these vehicles. They're NOT designed to tow more than 2,000 lbs. so please don't tow the family boat that weighs 3,500 lbs or a camper. Tow only a maximum of 2,000 lbs., keep up on your tranny flushes (every 30k miles). Don't xpect your vehicle to do something it's not designed to do and then when you've ignored that advise, don't go blaming Chrysler for the tranny blowing out when you've clearly abused it. I wouldn't fix it for free if I was Chrysler, knowing full well you abused it. It's not their fault u overloaded it. You wanna tow something heavy or large? Buy a truck!!