Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chrysler Minivan Transmission Problems

Comments

• keanezrakeanezra Posts: 8
    One owner had just found out that cam phasers could be the problem. I know phasers could cause shuddering/rough shifts. I suggest having your dealer check it out. I'll bring mine asap.
  • keith74keith74 Posts: 3
    Thanks for that info and I will inquire with couple dealers. That may also explain why we get some shaking/shuddering when the transmission shifts into the top gear. Please let us know what you learn. It seems Dodge is having the same problems as per attached link.
    http://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-caravan/293523-2011-grand-caravan-trans-issues- -begin.html
  • lisa110lisa110 Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 T&C van with 132,000 miles. Bought it new. A month ago when I started the van and put it into D it started to go into reverse. This happened 2 times. Shut it off and re-started and it was fine. Last week after starting it I put it into R and it started going forward. Both times on level ground. Re-started it and it was fine. Was told I probably need a new transmission. Should I put a new transmission in or look for another car?
    Is it OK to drive?
    Thanks,
    Lisa110
  • andjamandjam Posts: 1
    Hi all, I've got a 2005 Grand Voyager V6 3.3. She's done 79k miles and regularly serviced. I changed the ATF about 2k miles ago. My transmission let me down in a busy city centre, it had started to jump about a bit, earlier in the day and had done 275 miles that morning. I thought it was just a bit warm and hoped it would be OK after it cooled down. But on a busy junction it locked up. The gears all seem to work, but seems to be stuck in park. Big panic, Police turned up, etc, but couldn't move it. After a while, the engine started to get hot so I turned the engine off and the car rolled back a bit. Long and short of it is:- With the engine running, it's stuck in park but the gears seem to work and won't move. Turn the engine off and the car rolls and goes into park when you move the shifter to P. Any ideas??? I did start scrolling through the pages on this site, but with over 200 pages, I'm not sure I'm going to live long enough to do them all and I'm getting depressed about all the other problems that could develop. They are the a lovely motor and I'm not ready to move on yet. Many thanks
  • ta2025ta2025 Posts: 1
    My 2002 T&C ES with only 79,000 miles has just done the same thing and my parents had one that did the same at 75,000. I smell a Lemon or a recall but Chrysler wont do anything. Transmissions should last longer than 75,000 when they cost $2500!!
  • meastonmeaston Posts: 1
    My tranmission may be developing problems 2008 3.8 95k

1. Drove 200miles and parked it for a week.
    2. For the first 5minutes of driving under minimal load and accelleration and at highway speed RPM would fluctuate say 2k to 3k at a steady speed. The car didn't feel like it was shifting during these changes.
    3. Stopped and checked transmission fluid and it was fine
    4. After a block or two of driving the problem seemed to correct itself and I drove 200miles home without a problem. Stopped at a couple of spots and drove through a couple of small towns.
    5. The next day it seemed to drive fine.
    6. The next day the problem seemed to return.

To me the on again off again problem smells like a sensor rather than a mechanical failure. No engine light seen during any of this, which supports a transmission problem. The car is in the shop so I should have codes soon.

The car was purchased at 75k and appeared to have had the tranmission serviced at 60k which I suspect is the fluid and filter change.
  • My Mother In-law has a 1995 Dodge Caravan. It has a V-6 with an automatic transmission. The van has been sitting unused for close to 3 years. I charged the battery and it started right up. Under acceleration it has a brutal vibration that goes away when coasting or in neutral. Seems to shift well and pulls away from a stop normally. Before it sat for so long it operated just fine. What to do?
  • I have a 2003 T & C that I put an Advanced Auto Reman in. I have the shudder in the downshift between 35 and 45 mph that my mechanic can't figure out. Put another reman in with the same problem. Suppose the cam phaser could be that problem too?
  • Did you have the dealer do a relearn procedure done to the moduals?
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,408
    Flat-spotted tires perhaps? I'd give them a good look. Also possibly a seized up CV (axle) joint.

• I have been to the dealer 3 times to no avail. They won't even check the phasers coz there is no code to base it on. They do admit though (the dealer) that there is a shuddering problem. They claim that they have reported it to Chrysler but no resolution offered. Meantime, my shuddering is geting worse. If anybody knows the codes for these phasers, pls help us.
  • I considered that possibility. The van will coast pretty smoothley with no throttle or in neutral. Shakes like a wet dog under power!
    Well still could be the tires---any chance that something is stuck to the tires---a beehive or something weird--to put a tire out of balance? I'd certainly jack it up or put it on a lift and look around for flat spotted tires, loose wheels, leaking axle joint boots, bent axle....this can't be TOO subtle a thing.

• No Scarey, this shudder is on a downshift somewhere in the 35 to 45 mph range. Thanks for the thought, though,

Squeaky
    Oh, this is new info...well I wonder if it's the torque converter dropping out of overdrive and getting stuck.

• I have 2002 3.8 L EX model minivan. I have been told I need a rebuild. Here is the history:

1. 83000 miles. I have owned the van since it was brand new.
    2. Transmission fluid change by Chrysler dealer at 30k and 60K. ATF +4 always used.
    3. Mixed hiway and street driving. Commute is 10 miles each way.

Here are the symptoms:
    Check engine light came on two days ago. Yesterday on the freeway the engine was running fine, but when I pressed on the accelerator, only the RPMs increased. After about a half mile the van would no longer move. I had to have the vehicle towed home. This morning I drove it slowly to the mechanic. After about 1.5 miles I heard a whining noise.

The mechanic had a code reader. He had another shop tech test drive the van why the code reader was attached. He stated the 4th gear overdrive was showing 120lbs pressure??? which was excessive. He also said there were five different codes generated all started with a 7XX. When they checked the fluid, there was some small metal pieces in the Transmission fluid.

They told me it was time for a rebuild. Price quote was 2000 -2500 depending on what they found inside once it was tore down. What do you think?
    If all true, it sounds like the end has come for that tranny. Metal in the trans fluid is a very bad sign.

• I am presently sitting here in my room reading all the different problems that people are having with their Chrysler transmissions, and I can't understand why the Chrysler manufacturers have not corrected the problem that they have with their transmissions. It seems to me that they do not care about their customers. For many many years, Chrysler has had problems with their transmissions and they still haven't done any thing to correct the problems that plaque them. At least that what it seems like I wonder when they go to their drawing boards and come up with new concepts for their vehicles, do they keep in mind the transmission problem that plaque the many cars that comes from their company. Considering that they received money from the government to keep them from being bankrupted, you would think that they would produce reliable transmissions for the citizens who paid taxes and helped bailed them out of a bad situation. The reason why I can write the above message is because I own a 1994 Town and Country Van and at 72,000 miles, my transmission failed and I replaced it. That transmission lasted for a year and half and now my van is down again with the same exact problem. Being that our economy is very unstable, what person could afford to put another transmission in again. That would then be three transmissions and I can't go any further investing any more money in the van. The van ran fine when the transmissions were working, but now I have to let it go. I know that the van has a lot of years on it, but as long as you take care of it, it should run for many years. I know one thing, I will never, and I mean never, purchase a Chrysler vehicle ever again and you surely can take that to the bank.
  • You are exactly right, diamond lady, Chrysler and Dodge have not stepped up to the plate and provided the consumer with a trustworthy transmission. I ought to know, I have had two minivans that lost transmissions. I have just replaced mine, will run it till it quits, and probably go to toyota or honda. Too bad though, the Town and Country has a smooth ride.
  • reonreon Posts: 19
    If you didn't service the van yourself, maybe this happened to you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiCAJ8ULnaI