Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Oldsmobile Aurora

Comments

• garnesgarnes Posts: 950
    Henry - if total power is most important then go with the Caddy. But the Aurora is every bit as refined mechanically. Personally I love the looks of the classic and the new Aurora. The new one is still very distinct with the bulging fenders that are chiseled. The front is more aggressive looking too. The interior is a little better than the classic. It's a great looking car. The STS - well it's not bad at all, but the Aurora is pretty nicely styled inside and out. You can't beat the wrap around interior - and that's what YOU look at all the time when driving. It seems to be quite a deal compared to a Caddy too.

hardesty - those numbers are incredible. That is really a lot of car in 2003 for that money. Nothing even comes close to offering so much. I hope everything works out for you. Doctors orders - keep your toe out of the Aurora for awhile.
  • blk97aurorablk97aurora Posts: 573
    Henry,

Thank you for your advice. I have ordered the parts; now I need to locate the tool. I'm not in a hurry. My coolant is past due to be replaced and I figure that when I open up the cooling system I might as well replace the water pump and thermostat as preventive maintenance (79,000 miles).
  • hammen2hammen2 Posts: 1,313
    I frequently see the "NorthStar Water Pump Tool" up for auction on eBay Motors for $29.95 or so. I don't know for sure, but, for a lot of the things on eBay, you can probably get it for less locally (I see a pair Bosch wiper blades up for auction for $20 + s/h; the same blades are available at my local AutoZone for $8 ea. :-)

--Robert
  • fjk57702fjk57702 Posts: 539
    My water pump started leaking last winter. The sevice manager said that some of them go after 25,000 miles while others have lasted over 100,000 miles. Some of the ones replaced early have been replaced again.

The point is that I wouldn't replace it unless it's leaking.
  • jonbgoodjonbgood Posts: 157
    I'm going to look at a '99 with only 18xxx miles at a Cadillac dealer. Seems almost too good to be true. Any advice on this one? Also, color listed on car is "Cashmere". Any guesses what color this is in Aurora talk? The salesman made me think it is bronzemist or tan. Is there something I can ask him to look at to confirm which color it is?
  • HenryHenry Posts: 1,106
    Its where I would start
    Is there a color code listed somewhere on the car he could use to confirm the color to me? (This is a long distance deal)
  • rjs200240rjs200240 Posts: 1,277
    I was laughing my butt off when I read your post!!

JonBGood, the color code is listed on the build sheet in the trunk. The number code for the paint color should be in the trunk. Here are the codes for the ones that sound like your color:

Gold 60U
    Bronze Mist 76U
    Champagne 83U
    Copper Mist 88U
    Dealer confirmed color code is 76u. Anybody have any problems with their bronze mist paint?
    I've noticed on many of the Classics I've seen - the sunroof trim (outside of car) is peeling. The salesman told me this is the case on the car I mentioned above. Is this a covered item under factory warranty? Any help would be appreciated.
    I was checking out the EPA page on fuel economy and I noticed that for 1997 the EPA estimates were 17/26 with combined of 20mpg. But then there were other numbers called "unadjusted" city/highway/combined. These were 19/33/24mpg. Any idea what that refers to? Maybe the max they achieved during the test and then they apply some factor to it or something? They give no explanation that I can find. By 1998, they didn't list these unadjusted numbers anymore.

What I also found interesting is the common comparison between the Aurora and the ES 300. The ES 300 in 1997 is listed as a compact car while the Aurora is mid-sized. The Aurora had 102 cubic feet of interior space compared to the ES's puny 92 cu.ft. (By 2001, the ES still had 92 cu.ft. and the Aurora grew to 104. There aren't any 2002 passenger volume numbers listed so I don't know about the all-new and even uglier ES, but I would hope that there was some space benefit to that dumb high-roof look.) In fact, the GS300 that year only had 97 cu.ft. and the LS400 was the most comparable to the Aurora with an identical 102 cu.ft. of interior space. Also, that puny 3-series only had a max of 86 cu.ft., and less with the 2-door.
    As I understand it, the epa mpg numbers are generated during the emissions testing (which are done on a simulator of some sort). So the numbers do not represent actual highway driving. The testing is done in lab with a dynometer I think. Anyway I think that they correct for the weight of the car for one thing. But, in the Aurora's case, I have wondered if they were taking the power button into consideration, or if the testing was done in power mode. The power mode will use up more fuel. I always use normal mode except when I really want the extra performance (and remember that its there). One flaw that Olds made was not to put a reminder that the power mode is engaged (which then might have resulted in better epa numbers).
    That seems like a pretty poor way to test the cars. I mean, aerodynamics wouldn't be measured, rolling resistance of the rear wheels wouldn't be measured, and who knows what other little things. I guess that shouldn't surprise me, though. I can't imagine there is any consistent and accurate way to determine the "adjustment" that needs to be made to each car. I thought they drove them on some controlled course or something. Of course, the poor measuring tool won't prevent them from praising some car as a mileage champ because it has a rating of like 1mpg better than some other car. Seems like the kind of thing where companies might "beat the system" if they want to improve their mileage rating rather than making the car actually consume less gas.
    RJS - I always appreciate the open door to comment on the Aurora/ES300 comparisons. It is just asinine. That's it. It blows my mind that the car magazines do this. I see nothing luxurious about cruising in a Camry sized (and Camry looking)car with a relatively small V6 (again very much the Camry engine)The only thing comparable is the price. I guess I'm just not able to be hypnotized by the "carpeting".

I've had many a uncomfortable drive in a 99 ES300. Cramped is the best one word explanation. So maybe I'm being harsh on the new ones. But I doubt it.
    I should add this. The way (at least at first) that they measured the amount of gas used was too compute it from the emissions measured.
  • javidoggjavidogg Posts: 366
    In Reply to:________________________________________________

I've noticed on many of the Classics I've seen - the sunroof trim (outside of car) is peeling. The salesman told me this is the case on the car I mentioned above. Is this a covered item under factory warranty? Any help would be appreciated.

"here is my post from problems and solutions number 168".

Well an update on the problem with my sunroof, It's now Thursday and my car is back home all fixed. I was suppose to have my Aurora fixed & ready by Wednesday, but according to the Olds Dealer they had a light & phone problem so they were a day behind. They found the sunroof "module binding internally" (what ever that means), Also on the outside the glass molding was peeling (which I've seen on other Auroras) that was replaced, and they also replaced the whole sunroof glass too, this is what they replaced on my sunroof because it would not close all the way. Under parts description this is what they listed.....

QTY FP Number Description
    1. 01 12536822 TRAC S/RF WARRANTY
    2. 01 12371672 WDO SUNRF WARRANTY

Overall I'm quite please with the outcome, a quick note, it looks like my extended warranty it's starting to pay for itself, I know this job would of been about $1000.00 dollars, thank goodness for the GM warranty. Peace.

I think it will be covered under your warranty "jonbgood". Any questions drop me a line. Peace.
    I'm contemplating buying showed one item - but its a doozy. Engine replaced at 10k miles. Car now has 18k on it. My local dealer (not the selling dealer) said not to be concerned. Would not have been covered under warranty if it had been due to neglect. His opinion is that it was most likely due to a coolant leak in the block which is rare but not unheard of in these engines. Would this give you Aurora experts cause for concern or would you view it as a positive? (used car with only 8k miles on the engine)
    but not a negative either. That's just one of those things. It probably had some defect from the factory, so at least it got taken care of. Better than if they just band-aided the engine so it would make it through the warranty period. A family member had the engine replaced after about 2-3 thousand miles on his new 97 Regal GS, and it now has almost 100,000 miles with no problems (not that this example really proves anything, but hey). There was some problem with the oiling so they just swapped it. No big deal, though. I wouldn't let that keep you from buying the car. I don't think the new engine would make it any more nor any less likely to have future problems.
    I have heard of this too. The local Olds dealer mentioned that some have a major issue with coolant leak in the block - basically a defect that would affect some cars. If you have this problem you are going to know it. Supposedly it is not that common though.
  • dlcleavdlcleav Posts: 40
    Anyone experience A/C problems? Yesterday, returning from Omaha in 95+ degree weather, the A/C began blowing hot air. Coincidentally, the "chirping" noise I've noted reduced dramatically to almost non-existant. I suppose A/C compressors can fail...is this an expensive visit? Thanks - Dave
  • daevendaeven Posts: 28
    This may be the last straw for me. After getting the fuel rails replaced last month for $350, now my AC stopped working again. I've had to get it recharged each year (even though nobody ever find the dang leak). I had it charged last time about 6 weeks ago. What is it that fills internally with AC fluid? The compressor, accumulator or evaporator?

Anyway with 211,000 miles, I don't feel good about spending another $1k on repairs so soon. It still has the original trans (and engine), so I'd prodably fix the air just in time for the trans to go. Maybe 200K is the upper limit on this car.

I'm thinking about a V6 Altima. I had wanted to just find a nice 99 Aurora in Diamond White, but I don't know if I can go through all the same maintenance issues: water pump, AC, fuel lines/rails, radiator, window trim, etc. Even with an extended warranty, I'll be worrying about when the next item on the list will go.

Of course it would be stupid to buy a new car right now. I'm driving 1000 miles each week at the moment. Maybe one more AC recharge and see if I can make it through the summer...
  • hammen2hammen2 Posts: 1,313
    ...is expensive. Mine would have been $1275 at my local GMC/Olds dealer, except the warranty company paid for it (and flew the part in - they evidently have some agreement with some other Olds dealer to buy parts at a discounted rate).

I had a friend with a '93 Bonneville, and his A/C compressor failed. I seem to remember that being in excess of $1k, as well. Don't know if a local shop that specializes in A/C system repairs can do it cheaper - I suspect much of the cost is the labor required to change the compressor, and flush the system...

--Robert
  • mike98cmike98c Posts: 293
    Just a thought, is the chirping coming from under the hood or under the dash? If it's under the dash maybe it's a servo motor for the flap that mixes hot and cold air.
  • dlcleavdlcleav Posts: 40
    The chirping noise comes from inside the cabin. I've tried to pinpoint the location but the noise appears to come from all angles. The Omaha to KC trip was about 2.5 hrs chirping incessantly the entire way...except for when the AC failed.
    Garnes sent me some pictures of his car with the chrome wheels from the 2001 Aurora. It looks pretty sweet. I like how it still has a factory look. Garnes, that's one clean looking car.
  • javidoggjavidogg Posts: 366
    Hey what up dudes? Man that Aurora looks sweet with them 17 inch 2002 Aurora wheels. Hey "rjs200240" I should send you some pictures of my 1999 Black Aurora with my custom chrome 18 inch wheels, hey let me know where to send them. Garnes I have to admit you have a sweet looking ride or is it because I have the same ride, same color, hmm................ Peace.
    Just test drove a '99 Olds Aurora w/ 18k miles on it. Very clean car. One question. Trunk lid had piston type hinge mechanism. It seems like other Auroras I've looked at had the big hinge which lowers down into the trunk (and can smash luggage). What is the normal hinge? Thanks.
  • HenryHenry Posts: 1,106
    Off of the top of your head without looking in your trunk.

YOU ARE OBSESSED WITH YOUR CAR!

(Next thing you know you will be telling us that all of your tire stems are lined up to turn in unison.)
    and really a pretty simple question (if you've ever looked in your trunk - that is). The reason I asked the question is that somewhere in the 3200+ posts here - someone was commenting on the trunk hinges on certain models.