Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Oldsmobile Aurora

Comments

• how much is the car? how many miles?
  • HenryHenry Posts: 1,106
    The Aurora ATS is my way of recognizing the performance chip from the Caddie STS engine tha was installed in my car. ATS = Aurora Touring Sedan as in "Seville Touring Sedan"

Additives - The manual for the Classic does not recommend the use of any additives in the engine.

Traction Control - I have not had a problem with the traction control system. However, I have learned that there are times that I need to turn it off. Those times are when I rock the car to get it out of the snow and when I need to "power my way" into a space over a snow mound. In these instances the traction control works against me and had started to smell from all the times it was kicking in.

99 weaker than 95 supercharger - This is news to me. I have not heard anything about a supercharged engine in the 1995. Zinc & VWBUS you guys know anything about this??

Litttle Red Light - Guys this topic is starting to sound like a Seinfield skit.

New Tires - I have the Toyo Z rated tires on my car. Oh What a Feeling!

Aftermarket Items - I have added KYB shochs in the front, put in the Caddy sway bars to reduce body roll, and the Caddie STS performance chip. there is also a guy that put in a Borla or Bilsten performance Cat-back system. I am also assuming that you can put in a cold air induction system on the car. My mechanic told me that the K&N air filter for a Northstar engine is a waste of time and money. Also, got the better cupholder from Olds (double-lip design).
  • hardestyhardesty Posts: 166
    I have just received and have been reading through the 6000+ pages of the GM service manuals for the 2001 Aurora. I have discovered that the steering effort can be dealer modified. There are "more firm" and "less firm" settings in addition to the factory setting. The GM scan tool is required to change the setting, but the manuals speak of doing this in response to customer request (i.e. "just because I want it"). This car is awsome, seven internal sensors direct the HVAC system!
  • etharmonetharmon Posts: 399
    My father's Aurora is a 95(build date 05/95) and it does have the integrated garage door opener. I know that Olds says they added this to 96 models and that 95s didn't have it at first, but they must have made a running change and added it. Now, has anyone ever seen a 95-99 Aurora with cloth seats?? This was a no cost option for those who just don't want leather and I have yet to see one with cloth. Have any of you?
  • I wrote awhile back about engine surging problems that I was having. This post is to provide an update for anyone interested. Keep in mind that this vehicle was purchased as the 'car of my dreams' after extensive research and test drives of just about everything on the market. I brought within my budget but would have paid more if I felt it was worthwhile; ie, the Volvo S80 T6 or the Audi A6 2.7T but I couldn't stomach the Audi's rear styling or the Turbo lag and service problems of the Volvo. Not to knock these cars...just not for me.
    Back to the Aurora: mine is/was a silvermist V8 with heated seats, Bose, 12 disc and chrome wheels. Seeing the car for the first time after it was delivered from the factory (special order because I didn't want a sunroof) was the cat's meow. After driving the car I knew I had made the right decision. But then a seemingly minor problem turned into a major one.
    What was happening almost from day one was that when the engine was cold and I would step on the gas in drive then let off- the whole car would surge and buck like it was going to stall but never did. The oscillations would last about 6 or so times then the car would even out and return to a normal idle. I could not dplicate this with a fully warmed engine although the service department at my dealership said they could. This surging was unnoticeable if I accelerated with an even pedal- only when I stepped on the gas then quickly let off. I noticed this first while at a light and starting off; only to quickly back off the gas with someone coming the other way. Then, I could duplicate this everytime because I knew how. Mind you, I wasn't looking for trouble but found it nonetheless in these circumstances.
    A couple of trips to the dealer netted the following. The first trip was a diagnosis in which they could easily duplicate the problem but could not fix it. The second trip involved an upper tier technician who came in and couldn't fix the problem either. The car has the latest software download as it was made in October and all looked OK on the computer diagnostics. I brought the car in for checking on the 13th of Dec. and on the 15th a decision was made to stop work as no positive results were achieved. Within a few short days of this, I was informed that GM was buying back the car and getting me a new duplicate. A nationwide locate produced 2 cars the same as mine but they were in the south and midwest and because I live in the northeast, a fresh vehicle was ordered from the factory. I should get it in the next 2 or 3 weeks.
    Some observations: My service rep reported that GM had 2 other cars with my symptoms and they could also not be fixed. I never lost my cool or ranted and raved with frustration but I didn't want to be 'deadended' in a long drawn out ordeal so I kept pressuring the dealer and service department for a solution. As it turns out, not much pressure was needed. I'm surprised that GM didn't offer to replace the engine as I'm sure that's what Chrysler would have done in the same situation (after having had 4 problematic Jeep Grand Cherokees). Supposedly GM plans to take my car and tear it apart to find the problem but the good news is that I don't have to make payments on it while they do. As well, GM is footing the bill for an '00 Deville while my new car is coming- they offered a Grand AM but I wanted something comparable. The response to my request for the Deville was a quick yes.
    The long and short is that although my 'dream car' had a major problem, along with a few other minor fit and finish issues, GM is absolutely supporting and backing their product. I understand that my new car will automatically come with th 5/60 warranty so thats a nice little bonus also. Believe it or not, I look forward to getting out of the Deville and into my AV8 when it comes. The Deville is a super car but a little too big and boaty for my tastes. Will post with updates or more info as I remember.
  • carbuyer66: it is $13,000 with 54,000 miles. I realize this is a little high, but I am getting at a dealer, and it comes with a 3 year full warranty. (I needed to buy from a dealer becasue my credit isn't so hot right now).

zinc1: Yeah, its Purple. Very slick looking.

To All: Not sure if the car has the owners manual, so if anyone can tell me, what does GM suggest for oil?
  • I posted about this before but it got overrun by some other posts and I never got any thoughts ... I started noticing it again recently and it's really pissing me off ... at first I thought it had to do with the A/C doing its maintenance cycle (cooling off/defrosting depending on the weather) but now it makes the noise even when I don't turn it on at all. The problem again is that it's making this ticking noise like a clock and it seems like it's coming from well behind the steering column. I haven't checked where the actual A/C is so I don't know if it's nearby. The reason why I think it's the A/C is because the moment you turn the A/C on the noise stops. Sure it could be something peripheral but I'm going with the easy answer. Anyone hear this in their car? I had two cars before this and I can't say I ever heard this noise. Usually during the A/C maintenance cycle you'll hear a relief/sighing noise from the A/C when it starts to redirect the cold/heat to itself (air ducts probably switching) but this ticking is a first for me ... hope someone can shed some light. Thanks.
  • etharmonetharmon Posts: 399
    Glad to hear your situation worked out for the better. The new one with the better warranty is certainly an added bonus.

evilgreco, that price seems too high for a 95, even with an extended warranty. Ask some questions about the warranty too, like does it cover EVERYTHING or just major mechanical components and is there a deductible? The Aurora is a great car, but they haven't held their value all that well so a 95 should be able to be had for less than that.
    Market for a 1995 is around $7,500 with say 60K miles on it.

TRUST ME ON THIS!
  • the blue book value for a 95 Aurora, with 60,000 miles and a moon roof is $12700. dont believe me? check www.kbb.com. NADA lists it for $12800. so if your paying $7500 for it, your getting a steal. Heck my car is worth more than $7500 and its 14 years old.
  • joeoldsjoeolds Posts: 39
    Probably depends on local market, and how motivated seller is. I bought my 98 from a dealer for $500 over what Edmunds claims is trade in price. Using this formula, a clean 95 with 54K and a moon roof would be worth about $9400. However, the true value depends on the buyer and what he is truly willing to pay.
  • teoteo Posts: 2,508
    No payments, No money down and Zero interest in all models until 2002!

www.oldsmobile.com
    ZINC -- How did you know that evilgreco's car was purple? The colors purple and teal (light green) are rare for a Classic. I saw one in purple and it was lust at first sight. I think they only offerred the color in 1995. Okay, oh wise one, so how did you know the car was purple?

Joe - Got my son to mail out the stuff to you yesterday, you should get it in a few days. You're in Kansas? Hmm, open road, no cops and a Classic (with Autobahn), life just doesn't get much better. ;-)

Market Value on 1995 Classic - Yes, the price will change based on local market conditions. So I guess I should I should limit my market price of $7,500 to the New Jersey/New York area. I had spoken with an independant car dealer and he told me that the 95's are cheap in this market because it was the first year for the car and there is not a huge demand for Auroras overall.

There was one guy in here that had found a 1998 (45k miles) for around $13,500 at his local dealer. Prices do vary by market, I wish I could get a loaded 98 for $13,500. Talk about a no brainer.
  • HENRY- I note in your posting of 27 Jan, #269 that you have installed Caddie sway bars (plural) in your Aurora. I knew that a 2000 Seville rear sway bar is a direct bolt in (GM part # 25666234) and that gets you a 22 mm rear bar. My 96 Aurora came stock with a 17mm rear and a 27mm front. I have already installed the 22 mm rear bar. Is there a front Seville sway bar that will fit? I know I can put in a 98-99 Aurora bar which is 29 mm but if I'm going to do it I might put in bigger if something is available. Thanks in advance for your info.
    To other readers: I also put in polyurathane end links and center bushings on my sway bars F & R and you could tell an immediate difference. Also KYB struts up front. Would recommend both the struts and bushings to anyone who wants to tighten up his classic Aurora.
  • My market would be Upstate NY, Buffalo. $12750.

The prices i quoted were retail value, not trade in. Retail value as defined by Kelley's and NADA is " a price you would expect to pay while shopping for this vehicle at the dealer".
    SWAY BARS - the caddie sway bars are as you indicated. The front sway bar for both the caddie and the 97-99 Classic are the same size. If you put in the thicker front Aurora bar you have gone as thivk as you can go, as far as I know.

ZINC1 - Duh
  • joeoldsjoeolds Posts: 39
    Henry-I do believe you when you say the classic is dirt cheap in Jersey. Last summer(or early fall), a friend of mine bought a 99 classic on an internet auction for $16,100 from a dealer/wholesaler somewhere in Jersey. It cost him another $700 to have it shipped here. The car only had about 13K miles, needed cleaned up, and the speedo, odometer, etc are all in kilometers(a Canadian car?). Still $16,800 is a great deal on a 99 classic.
  • drzoom1drzoom1 Posts: 86
    Does anybody know if the Aurora (2001) has side air bags? It appears the Intrigue does not. Has Olds decided to skip SABs since production will be ending???
  • one2oneone2one Posts: 626
    Aurora comes standard with side air bags in both V6 and V8 trim.