Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Oldsmobile Aurora

Comments

• mike98cmike98c Posts: 293
    I got Pirrelli snow tires from Sears for $99.00 a piece last year . I suppose it's time to dig them out from where they're stored ! I'm not in a big hurry because I have a Sable wagon that I picked up for $600.00 for the winter and to carry materials for my 1924 era house. Anyways the tires made the car seemingly unstoppable in the snow. The microcell tread compound had me looking at other drivers waggling down the road and spinning their tires pulling away from a stop while I motored serenely ahead.
  • Hadn't seen your reply to my post until just now...

What I meant was that as an Aurora passes me, or I pass it, I always pay special attention. If I see a Black Classic with 2001 wheels and a CORSA exhaust, chances are there's only one guy in the country driving it...same goes for a certain Cherry Metallic 2002 with the CORSA. It's not likely that one of you guys would be driving through my neck of the woods, but you never know. :)
  • rjs200240rjs200240 Posts: 1,277
    LOL, I always keep an eye out too... When we went up to Cape Cod for the week of Thanksgiving, I was keeping an eye out in New Jersey for a 1995 Light Antelope Aurora with a stock exhaust parked on the side of the road or in a tunnel. :D

As far as your neck of the woods, no way! Move out from East Lansing to Ann Arbor, and then your talking! :D I was born in Ann Arbor in the U of M Women's Hospital (I guess they didn't know I'd be a boy...). The U of M is the alma mater of both my parents, so I grew up loving it (though I'm now a Terps fan at heart).

I'll actually keep that in mind though if I go up to Michigan again. My grandparents lived there, and my Mom grew up there so I have visited many times. I was up there for the 2003 NAIAS, but I don't think I'll make the 2004 (it was easier last year since I was unemployed... :o) My family keeps telling me I should apply for a job with GM, but I don't think I could handle the winters... I'd never be able to wash my car.
  • garnesgarnes Posts: 950
    Stickking - Oh. I sometimes get through the Chicago area. Otherwise I'm a Hoosier now. If you haven't done something already, I'd consider that Corsa.

RJS - light antelope with stock exhaust stuck in a tunnel - LOL. Note - stock exhaust............
    http://www.speedracer.la/

I'm not sure if it goes under water or can jump the railroad tracks. Look out for those saw blades coming out from the other cars too.....

It may even have the Corsa exhaust too.
  • HenryHenry Posts: 1,106
    I didn't see a Corsa exhaust on the car.

And as for you other guys . . . .
           cute very cute ho ho ho
  • LOL @ the Classic on the side of the road..very funny.

I think my parents will be moving down to Houston this coming summer. My dad has been working on contract down there for about a year now (flying down on Mondays and coming back on Fridays...ugh), and they love the place. So, as it stands, I'll probably be moving back into my parents house next year...never thought it would happen. I have an excuse though, they need someone to take care of the house and the 4 dogs. Plus, it'll be nice to live without rent until I'm done with law school. I think they are just fed up with the winters...I can't say I blame them.

I'm not so sure that I will follow them though. My brother's boss works for Saturn and has an open invitation for him to take an internship then a full-time job whenever he wants it. Jeremy is going to wait until he's done with school, but he wants to work for GM...so moving out of Michigan just doesn't seem to be in his future for a little while. Chances are he and I will stick pretty close to eachother.

Greg--Don't tempt me with the Corsa. I am really trying hard to use my tax return on "smart" things this year (like paying off some bills)...and you know how it goes. "Smart" usually doesn't mean "Fun". We'll see if my will power holds up.
    Brian... cut and paste this into your address bar (should work for IE): http://www.geocities.com/aurora402002/Aurora.wma

If that doesn't work (geocities is wierd) just go here and click on the audio-only link: http://www.geocities.com/aurora402002/clips.html

Forget bills... They'll still be around. But the Corsa may not. I doubt the STS system is a big seller, so who knows when they'll run out of them, and when they do, who knows if they'll make another batch... :D
  • LOL...nice. I have both of your video files you had posted saved on my computer. Not mention a bunch of pics that Garnes sent me of the Corsa job on his Classic. You're a bad influence :-)
    Actually, when I ordered my STS system, they had none and had to make it. They have the system digitized (I think that's it) so they can produce one pretty easy when ordered and they don't carry an inventory. So, I think they may actually be available for some time as I can't see it costing them anything to keep this particular product available.

Perhaps I'm missing something though. However, I'd just do it. It is totally cool. Unfortunately, the best place to experience it is to be a bystander - not the driver. Oh does it sound good.
  • enyaenya Posts: 2
    Hoping I am in the right place. Sometimes when the weather is cold my 98 aurora won't start. I keep getting the message CLEAN KEY - WAIT 3 MINUTES. This happened 2 years ago a few times, and has just happened again. This time the problem won't resolve itself and I haven't been able to start it for 2 days. Any ideas, anyone?

thanks
    sounds like the pass-key reader, or your key, isn't working well. My Corvette wasn't as nice (didn't say "clean key", it just didn't start) and I simply got new keys made. The pellet starts to wear down over time. Hopefully that would be a cheap fix. If not, you probably need to replace the reader in the steering column.
  • enya,

Do you have a spare key to try?
  • enyaenya Posts: 2
    No spare key, and when I use the remote start it still doesn't work. So I'm thinking it can't be the key?
  • Have you had your battery checked? Sometimes with these 12 volt systems you have enough amps to turn the engine over but not enough left to go to the ignition to start it. Just a thought.
    http://www.oldsmobile.com/olds/collectors/aurora/photos.html

There is a video there now about the Final 500 Aurora. It's sort of neat.
  • mrdubyamrdubya Posts: 200
    i had a REALLY nice video of the oldsmobile cars that i got from the car show, the video's where so well put together i wanted all the oldsmobiles after watching them. to bad they're commercials sucked. wonder if i found it if there is anyone to put it online
    That is probably the 2003 Oldsmobile DVD Experience. Yes, a slick piece. Would have been good commercial material instead of the "people are still buying them" crap they put out. Never seen it online, but I'd bet most of us have the DVD. You could get it by requesting a catalog last year, or also from most auto shows.
  • mrdubyamrdubya Posts: 200
    wow i just noticed how many typo's i made in my last message, they're getting worse....oh well its the internet!

yeah, i do remember now that it said the oldsmobile experience or something like that. oldsmobile can only blame themselves for there end, but not there designers.
    Hmm, this is proving harder than I thought. I have gone to 3 delaerships advertising 99 Classics and they were all gone by time I got there or called them. The last guy told me that now when the Classics come in they are put to the side for customers that have already said they want one. This practice, along with the generally low number of Classics kind of explains why I cant find a nice one at a dealership.

Hold on to your Classics guys and you 2001 babies hold on to your v8's. I am not going to sell mine unless it is for a newer one. Hmm, I guess its time to start looking at the Corsa system again.
  • hammen2hammen2 Posts: 1,313
    Henry, let me know what Corsa says about continued availability of the system for our Classics. I am intending to purchase the system, but want to wait until May or so until I actually have the $$$ (I don't believe in financing purchases through credit cards :-).

Have you looked through auto.com, autotrader.com, getauto.com, wwwheels.com, et. al. for Classics? What's your "mileage limit" on a '99?

--Robert
    I checked out a new 2003 Aurora at a (somewhat) local dealership last weekend. I finally got a chance to pop the trunk and feel how it feels. That steel trunk definitely feels more solid and substantial when closing it. That cheap, plastic feel that the aluminum trunk has is gone. I wonder how much more it actually weighs than the aluminum one? It did feel noticeably heavier, so maybe 30 pounds or more? The insert does give a different look to the rear. It buldges out which changes the character a bit. I like the look of it.

I think there were two pieces that differed on the 3.5 and 4.0, and I think the hood was the other. I assume the 2003 would have the aluminum hood, as there was no styling difference. Though, I wonder if they had a lot of steel trunks left and that's why they put them on the '03s?

They wanted $35k for it (sticker was $38k), which I was a bit surprised by, as it was built back in February. Maybe there are so few of them that they can sell reasonably close to the MSRP. Also, that price was before the GM $3,500 cash back.
  • Robert,

Thanks for the report. I wonder if Olds specified a different (higher) curb weight for 2003 vs. 2002. Another possible reason for steel in 2003 -- there was little reason to incur the higher cost of production with Olds going out of business.

I don't like the look of the two-piece trunk, because I prefer a very clean design -- the extra piece adds unnecessary lines.

A third part different 3.5 vs 4.0 is the wheels.
    for a 1997 Aurora wih 50k miles in good condition?
    seems to say between $9,000 and $9,600 depending on how it is equipped. I assume it is black and you are buying it from a dealer?
    the car is black and an autobahn. I dont think I am willing to pay $9,000 for it. I am closer to $5,500.
  • sdasda Posts: 308
    Happy and safe holidays to everyone! One advantage of having the newer generation of Aurora is you don't see many of them. In the month of ownership of mine, I think I've only seen 5 or 6 running around town, and it is a medium size area of 1 million+. On the other hand, I see my wife's white Honda Odyssey on every street corner! Enjoy.
    Well, I went shopping for an Aurora again yesterday. My dad is interested in replacing his Regal GS with one, and that's why I went to look at the undelivered 2003 the other week (and commented about the trunk).

A little background: We have searched ads for quite a while, and there are surprisingly few 2002's that are for sale. I suspect because they are incredible cars, have low resale, and are still likely under warranty (5 yr/60,000 miles). Most of the 2001's are off-lease cars and tend to have mileage in the 40-50,000+ mile range. That time I looked at the 2003 trunk, we also saw a loaded '01 with 56k miles (asking $21k) and a 2003 stripper model with pimpy aftermarket wheels, diamond white paint, and the gold package (and nothing else... It was the first Aurora I've ever seen with a manual passenger seat).

So, when we saw a 2001 with Bose, sunroof, heated seats, and the gold package (pretty impartial to that) with only 36k miles and an internet price of $16,900 only 8 miles from my Dad's house we had to go check it out. The car was black with a gold pinstripe (why??) and was in decent shape on the exterior. It had a few dings and scratches, but nothing major (though not amazing either). The interior was a bit abused and the wood had this thick haze on it. The carpets were ok, but the mats were trash. The drivers side mat had a hole all the way through it, and the lens on the driver's side door light was missing. The kicker, though, was when I pulled the spare tire cover to find the well contained about 3-4" of water. It turned out to be a March 2000 build (the very start of production) and it's service history wasn't real pretty. It had the crank position sensor replaced twice, the PCM replaced (not reprogrammed) twice, the power steering pump replaced, and several "could not duplicate"s. In my opinion, not a bad car, but I would have kept looking for better. I'm sure they could fix the trunk leak and such, but the early build date coupled with all the parts replacing just gave me a feeling that this wasn't the car for him. However, my dad liked it (it was still a nice car) and the price was reasonable plus it had all the features (which to that point few cars had had). Anyway, he was interested enough to take the car home overnight to give it a whirl (at the salesman's insistence).

While home, I told him again that while it wasn't a bad car, I personally would wait for the perfect one as I was sure it would be along shortly. He again mentioned he liked that it was loaded, and that the price was good, miles low, and that it was black, his 3rd favorite color for it... Now I got intrigued... 3rd favorite? What was his second favorite (his first, of course, is Cherry Metallic... ;) )? He said he really liked the dark blue, having seen it a few times on our trips to Cleveland (the only time I'd seen them either, and it is a very nice color on the car). Then I remembered, of the many dozens of cars I'd sent him links to, one was a loaded 2001 with 33,000 miles in Dark Blue Metallic. I'd even noted in my email that it looked especially promising, but the problem was it was 120 miles away in Deleware. Since he'd never responded to the email with an interest to see it, I'd sort of forgotten about it. But, I thought, 120 miles isn't all that far for the car you like, I didn't like the thought of him buying that black one, I'd already spent half the day with him shopping for a car, what's the other half? I told him we should call them, find out when the car was built, find out if they were flexible on the price (I didn't expect much, but he told them he wouldn't drive all the way there just to pay $19,450 for it). It turned out it was built in Sept. 2000, so 6 months into the model run, the service history consisted of new rotors a door trim replaced at initial delivery, and a new sensor. Much better... We got there around 6pm and the car was beautiful. Dark blue metallic, chrome wheels, sunroof, Bose, heated seats, and the gold package. A few dings in the doors, but way better than the black one. The interior was spotless, and a nicer color (the black one had the light two-tone, but the light part was browner and looked dirty, though it was an even brown, so maybe it was the mocha interior vs. dirt, but either way, not as nice). The car drove perfectly, and we were both quite impressed. He put a deposit down and got the car for $16,800. It is certified, so it has a 3,000 mile warranty, and the dealership was very friendly and seemed very honest (which I've usually found to be more true as you get away from cities). :D
    The black 2001 with the March 2000 build date was interesting. It was before OnStar was on the car, so it had a different rear-view mirror with the rain-sensor mounted on the side of it. It was also equipped with the original suspension. A few months into the model year, the suspension was changed to firm it up and make it more sporty with minimal effect on comfort. So this was the car that the magazines drove. The difference was very noticeable to me (I drove it around a lot as it's a used car, what do they care about a few extra miles?) It feels about half-way between the later 2001 suspension and the 1999 suspension. It feels firmer than the Regal (the 1999 felt similarly soft to the GS) and had nice ride motions, but it did float a bit more over broken pavement, and it leaned noticeably more in quick turns. It was still a nice ride, but I'm quite glad they firmed it up. The Sept 2000 car had the updated suspension and OnStar, which also made it more desirable IMO. It felt just like my car.

The 3/00 car also had a strange throttle tip-in. It was really really sensitive and the lightest press of the gas really opened it up. However, a heavy press of the gas wasn't any stronger than my car or anything. It was like it was artificially opening the throttle too much to give a more powerful feel in light driving. It wasn't bad, but it was a tad annoying as it was hard to gently accelerate from a stop.

Driving both of them again underscored how my 1-2 and 2-1 shifts are a tad harsher than usual. In those cars you can barely feel the shift, and in mine you can (though it isn't terribly abrupt, but it is noticeable, moreso as the tranny gets hot). I took it in once just to have the mechanic tell me "yeah, those 4T80's shift hard, that's how they are supposed to work". Needless to say, I use a different dealer now, but still hate taking my car in to anyone. Also, it does the 1-2 shift really fast, and a bit firm, which can be pretty sweet when you want to tear it up... ;)

Oh, heh, forgot to mention about that pimpy 2003 model. It had about 1,200 miles on it and was back on the lot for sale... I was checking the weatherstripping on the door for signs of being peeled back. Any Leslie Nielsen fans here? What was that spoof of the Exorcist he was in? Oh yeah... REPOSSESSED! =O
    Once we'd seen the Aurora and he'd put down his deposit, it was time to head home. It was about 7:30 pm, was pitch black, and we had to drive through all this flat open expanse of Delware and the eastern shore of Maryland. So I was pretty eager to start doing some distance, and the Aurora is a very willing companion (as is my dad). Several times we had to pass cars and such doing 50-55 on these long straight two-lanes. A flooring of the gas presses you back into the seat, and by the time you are past the car you are doing 90 mph... Quite impressive. And the car, even while doing 85+ and accelerating, is unflappable.

Then there is a truck that turns out in front of a pack of traffic up ahead. He's doing maybe 20 mph and those cars ahead are slowing down. I let off the gas and eventually coast up to them, and still have to brake a bit as by then the truck is only up to about 30 mph. A few passing stretches go by as we work up to about 35-40 mph, and I notice none of the 4-5 cars in front of me bother to try to pass the truck. I didn't want to be a jerk punching it from 5 cars back, but hell, if those guys aren't passing, screw them. The next passing area opens up, and I floor it around them. The passing lane runs out before I get to the truck, so I get on the brake and tuck in behind him (though there were no cars coming). By now he's maybe doing 50 mph. The next pass opens, and I'd been watching around him as best I could, the road looks clear, but it almost looks like there is a dip and rise in the road where you wouldn't be able to see a vehicle. It's hard to tell as the road is unlit. It is far enough off that I'd have time to tell and back off, so I go for it. The car is up to about 85 mph and we are about halfway around the truck. Then it's noticeable there is a dip and rise, and there is also a car there. Still plenty of time to react, but passing the truck would be incredibly dangerous. On the brakes hard at about 85 mph, and amazingly they lock the tires and the abs kicks in... It hauls down to about 40 in a blink and I tuck back in behind the truck. A pass at the next break goes flawlessly (though in another mile, we are on Rt. 50 with it's 4-6 lanes where I could easily have passed everyone).

I was impressed with the Aurora's accelerative showing, but also with that braking. Locking up the tires at 85 mph is an impressive feat. Those 12" rotors up front are doing a pretty commendable job. The Aurora proved comfortable, fast, smooth, and agile all while returning 24.5 mpg. What a car!! :D