Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Oldsmobile Aurora

Comments

• sdasda Indian Land, SCPosts: 332
    I didn't realize the projector beam took a halogen bulb. I thought is was a sealed/complete unit. I jumped to conclusion and feared the worst, that I had an expensive replacement ahead. My only glimmer of hope was I thought I might have blown a fuse, so I was going to look there first. I will go to the parts store today and buy a bulb. Hopefully that's the answer. Many thanks, rjs200240!

2010 Pilot EXL-RES, 2013 Accord EX

• rjs200240rjs200240 Posts: 1,277
    That seems the most likely. They are Sylvania Halogen Plus (the long-life) bulbs if you want the exact replacement. You might want to get two, since they tend to burn out at similar rates.

To remove the light housing, there are two silver-colored bolts that go down towards the ground. I think they were 10mm heads. Just pull them out. There is also a ball-socket the light pushs into on the outermost side of it (the side of the light that is closest to the side of the car). When you put it back in, I push mine back as far as they go to ensure the aiming doesn't get messed up. One of mine was not mounted that way apparently from the factory, because I had to reaim it after the first time I removed it. But I have removed it several times since and the aiming has always been spot on by just pushing it back as far as it goes.

Advance Auto Parts has a buy one, get one 1/2 price for SilverStars. Plus, Sylvania has a $6 mail-in for two XtraVision, CoolBlue, or SilverStar bulbs. I'd recommend the XtraVisions as a nice, not expensive upgrade from the Halogen Pluses. The SilverStars are nice too, but a bit more money.

FYI, I also posted a bit back in the Accessories & Mods about a 9005 to 9006 modification I did. Just in case you are interested... ;)

The housing itself is a polycarbonate, and is quite expensive to replace. But definitely not a sealed-beam. I got some of that 3M film to cover them (I used Xpel, but there are other suppliers of pre-cut) to prevent pits, chips, and scratches from forming in them from gravel and such. They've been on for about 2 years, and I'm quite satisfied. I wish I could do it over again as I understand the application process better now and they'd look better. But for about $50 for the headlamps and foglights, I consider it money well-spent.

Edit: I'll post up about it on the Accessories & Mods forum, with some links.
    rjs200240, thanks again. Did you find the Xtra-Vision to improve the overall illumination? I've found the standard set up to be dimmer than I would expected with a enhanced set up.

I got XtraVisions for my wife's car. They had nice lighting with good coloring. Her car had some Wagner bulbs that claimed the 20% brighter and whiter light and crap. The XtraVisions were cheaper, and I put one in one side to compare to the Wagners and they seemed brighter, a bit whiter, and seemed to have a better pattern (an indication of better quality control).

I have never compared XtraVisions to HalogenPluses, though. I don't know how much brighter they would be.

I can say that the 9005 to 9006 upgrade will substantially improve the lighting. I used 9005 SilverStar bulbs, but you could use HalogenPluses or whatever if you wanted to lower the cost. I don't believe there is a 9005 XtraVision bulb.

The upgrade took my lighting to an excellent level. They are now much brighter and more useful. They are at the point that I think more light would just be detrimental and annoying to oncomers. They light up the actual road to about the same distance as the high-beams, but they keep the light down low. So the high-beams are still a compliment to the lows. Plus, the lows don't put that extra light in peoples' faces.

If you don't want to do the upgrade, I'd say try the SilverStars in 9006 as they would probably be the most likely to improve your illumination. But the XtraVisions should put out the same amount of light, just not quite as white. I would assume there is some compromise to the HP's to make them last twice as long as the standard bulbs, and thus I'd assume there is some extra light from the XV's, but I've never seen them side-by-side. I'd shop around for Sylvania (in fact, I do shop for them even though some other stuff is closer) because they seem to make quality products.
    What's your impression of the low's compared to other cars low beams, though? I didn't find them to be incredible, but they were brighter, and put the light to use better, than any other low beams I've had.

I think the high-beams are pretty incredible. Whenever we're on some dark, unlit roads and I flip the brights on, I'm always impressed. They put out a ton of light. I also like that the low's stay on with the high's.
    Yes, I have found the low beams to be dimmer than I expected. I had a Mazda Millenia ('96) with projector type headlamps which were brighter, and had a better pattern. The high beams on the Aurora are great, however. How much should I expect to pay for these improved bulbs?

The 9005's? Is that what you meant by the improved bulbs? The 9005 is the standard high-beam bulb on the Aurora. They should cost the same as the 9006 low-beams. You'll have to modify the base a bit because they aren't direct replacements. So you are basically putting a high-beam bulb in the low-beam housing. But the low-beam projector will determine the beam pattern. So it will keep the light down on the road.

The fact that the 9005 and 9006 SilverStars are the same price, but one puts out more light, is what made the SilverStars worth it to me. Otherwise I probably would have just bought XtraVisions since the whiteness doesn't matter that much to me (though it is neat, but doesn't really help yo see any better IMO).
    I purchased the Xtra-Vision 9006. They claim to put out 20% more light than standard bulb. Took about 20 minutes to change both sides. Owner's manual has clear instructions how to do this, and it wasn't difficult. On the drive in this morning, in rain and sleet,(snow later today?) I could see a noticeable difference in increased brightness. This is a welcome change. RJS, without your help, I'd still be spinning my wheels. Got the rebate, too. Without you mentioning this, I would not have known about it and the sales clerk said nothing. I had to ask.
    I really appreciate your interest and help.
    Steve

• Instead of replacing the low beam bulb with the 9006, you replace with 9005 and do minor modification to the bulb or socket it fits in?

Thanks,
     Other Steve
    No problem. So you replaced the pair? Did you perchance turn them on after replacing only the burned out one? I'd just be curious what they looked like against a wall or something. Glad they were brighter. I liked the XtraVisions in my wife's car, and I actually would have tried them for my conversion but they don't make 9005 XtraVisions, so I went with SilverStars. But I'd never seen HalogenPluses and XtraVisions side by side. I like Sylvania, and I'm glad they came through for you and it wasn't just marketing hype.

Other Steve (lol), yeah I put a 9005 in my low-beam housing. I wouldn't modify the housing if I were you, as it's quite expensive. I modified the bulb. It's easy to do. You need to trim down one of the tabs that lock it in (though, the more you trim, the more you'll have to play with the bulb rotating it to get a good beam pattern, since the tab determines the stop when rotating it). And you have to remove a little bump in the connector (on the bulb, not the car) so that they will hook up. These changes are just so a person wouldn't accidentally put the bulb in the wrong housing.

A 9006 (low beam) bulb pulls 55 watts, though they can pull up to 60 watts to allow for poor quality control I guess. The 9005 (high beam) bulb pulls 65 watts, not sure what the max is, I think 70 watts. But Sylvania makes a quality bulb, so I doubt they are on the edges of the specs much. So it is really about 5-10 watts more draw than the spec. This is sort of chancy, but not a big chance (IMO). It's much better than the 80-100 watt pieces of crap you can buy on Ebay (IMO). I would imagine the extra heat would be of similar proportion assuming both bulbs are about as efficient in turning electricity into light.

The big bonus is that a 9006 bulb puts out 1000 lumens. A 9005 bulb puts out 1700 lumens. Part of this is the increased wattage, and I think part is probably that the bulb isn't shielded on the tip. They are usually a flat looking shield, so I don't know if they reflect much of that light back or just absorb it. So for about 10-20% more current draw, you get 70% more light. In my opinion, though, if you adjust the bulb to where the beam pattern is maintained as much as possible (since you trim the tab, you can mess with the pattern by rotating it a few degrees each way) then the impact to other drivers in the form of dazzle or glare is pretty minimal. You can see how the beam cuts off below the glass on vehicles, and I've also seen the lights from the front in another car. They aren't bad, just a bit whiter (due to the SilverStar, not the 9005). Also, the light is mostly in those two central beams which are very tight and stay in your lane. The projectors really have good control of the light. I would guess that if you came over a rise that curved, and a car was in the right spot, a driver would get a pretty bright face-full. But then even with the regular lows, the central beam would be pretty bright. The high-beams are also still very useful since the lows put the light all down on the road. The highs light up everything else.
    I did replace the pair. And yes, out of curiosity, I did look at what they looked like with one new and one old bulb. The new bulb is slightly brighter and whiter, making the old bulb look somewhat yellow and dim. Couldn't have that! So I changed both. I like your idea of using 9005s in the low beam. I bet it makes a great difference, thou I am pleased with my upgrade. Didn't have time to do it thou...wife wanted relief from all day with our 2yr old, and was already annoyed that I had to spend money on the 'stupid car'. She just doesn't understand.. Oh boy.

sda: "wife wanted relief from all day with our 2yr old, and was already annoyed that I had to spend money on the 'stupid car'."

On behalf of all Aurora owners: Ouch...

Didn't you pick yours up for some ridiculously cheap $13k and some change?

You can get a feel for the brightness difference if you look at the photos I posted in the Acces&Mod section. It's pretty noticable in the photo of it half done.
    Didn't you pick yours up for some ridiculously cheap $13k and some change? That's me. Love the car. Can't wait to find a reason to go out and drive! That V8 growl makes me smile. Wife not as enthusiastic. She's not a car person. She knew I was a car nut from the day she met me, but no matter. Enjoy!

Hey, was reading your post in the Intrigue board. Figured I'd comment over here so as not to ruffle feathers.

Oh, also, fyi, didn't mean offense about the cheap thing. It's just you got such a lot of car for such a steal. It was funny your wife was complaining about $20 worth of headlamp. Nothing meant by it. :)

I think the cornering lamps on my wife's Regal are nice. My Corvette had cornering lamps too. They are quite useful, and it would be nice if the Aurora had them.

Give the steering wheel time. Maybe it's just because you are used to the Intrigue. Maybe they are different, but the Regal's wheel is very soft. It's like squishy soft. Even the plastic part near the spokes is. The Aurora's wheels has nice smoothly soft leather, and just a hint of squish to it. But it is thick and firm and comfortable. I find it to feel excellent in my hands. Comfortable yet serious, a bit of give, but a firmness hidden under that.

As far as acceleration, I think if you lined up next to an Intrigue, you'd see it's a fair bit quicker. I think part of it is that the Aurora is more comfortable and the suspension is more deceptive (it is quite firm handling without riding harshly at all).
    RJS200240. No offense taken. I just get tickled at my wife, and thought I'd share. I can't complain, thou. She takes good care of me. :)
    I agree the Aurora has a nice steering wheel. I don't think the Intrigue's steering wheel is as squishy as the Regal, but it had a nice softness to it, (it just felt supple) and unlike the Regal, it was a full leather wheel like in the Aurora. Power is certainly not an issue. The Aurora is more powerful, not significantly so. I think the Aurora will do 0-60 in about 7.5, and the Intrigue in about 8.0 sec. Different final ratio of 3.71 vs 3.05 also makes a difference. Don't get me wrong, I really like the Aurora, and have no regrets in buying it. The more I drive it, the more I appreciate how solid, refined, and fun to drive it is. I wouldn't mind a folding rear seat, cornering lamps, and better mpg. Wish lists are fun..

• "...and just a hint of squish to it. But it is thick and firm and comfortable. I find it to feel excellent in my hands. Comfortable yet serious, a bit of give, but a firmness hidden under that..."

Jeez Bob, we're going to have to make this an adults only thread soon. You and the Aurora need to get a room!! :)
  • you guys dont kiss yours' good night? ;)
  • It's winter here in Michigan...last time I tried that my lips stuck to the hood...Not good.
  • My '97 has cornering lamps. I'm surprised they were dropped from the 2001+, but you guys have rear fog lamps.
    Hey Brian, I bet the next time you're at a dealership, you'll be feeling the steering wheel if they have any 01+'s on the lot... ;) :P
  • Hi everyone,

I wanted to let anyone who might consider buying a Final 500 Aurora know that they are just about all gone, but I know where you can still get a very nice optioned one if you are interested.

I visited the dealer I bought my car from over the holidays to finish up loose end promises made to me by my salesman as part of my negotiated deal on my car. I found out that they still had not sold the last Final 500 that they had. They originally were allocated and ordered two of them - my car and one other.

If you are interested in getting it, email me at the address in my profile. I can tell you more about it, where it is located, and who to contact to inquire about it. It has nearly all the Aurora amenities including the sunroof and CD/Cassette BOSE sound system.

I am NOT a car salesman and am only promoting it because I have one, (and LOVE IT!) and absolutely hate that it is languishing on the lot without a buyer who would truly appreciate such a wonderful luxury car that could be collectible one day.

If I had the money, I would buy it myself. However, I would like someone on this board to own it, if possible, to 'keep it in the family'. ;-)

Thanks!

Bryant Tarvin
  • I'm looking for loaded '03 (nav, s/f. htd seats), whenever or not its a Final 500, I would go either way.

What options did yours came with?
  • 2k1olds2k1olds Posts: 98
    just purchased a 2001 3.5; this is the finest car I have driven(and I have owned many-just ask my wife).Just a few of things maybe someone can help with:
    1. There is a whistling noise coming from the defroster(but not all the time). Could this just be a piece of debris from previous owner? Anybody else had this problem?
    2.I drive with my hand on the shifter(know I shouldn't, just feels good. When tranny is downshifting to first gear, I feel something snapping(only way I can describe it)in the shifter. Car shifts great, just concerned about that "feel".
  • I too have an '01. To answer your questions:

1- I'm not sure what the whistling is. That is not present in mine.

2- The "click" feel in the shifter is normal. It happens at each shift point and I believe it has to do with moving the shifter to drive without the overdrive (3) or even lower gears. I think it is how the car "knows" how to react to a downshift if you chose to do it.

3- The most common problem on these cars seems to be a noise and loose feeling in the steering. The cars have one inherent design flaw-the intermediate steering shaft often needs lubrication and even replacement. The dealers are very familiar with this since there is a technical service bulletin on this issue.

Good luck. I hope you enjoy the car as much as I do.
    Just a guess here. There was a TSB on early 2001's to fix a condition where papers can be pulled from the glovebox into the vents. I think the fix is just some plastic shield installed. But if some paper got sucked up into the defroster outlets, that could account for the whistling. ;)
  • 2k1olds2k1olds Posts: 98
    Thanks Rocket and RJS,
    steering on the car so far is smooth as silk. Can I go to an Olds dealer to request service history?
    What do I need to get this? Cost? Car is still under factory warranty, according to carfax. I bought it in December with only 12,900 miles on it, and it still has 37,000/10 months left on factory warranty.
    Well, the Aurora and us will be moving to a new place near the end of February. The wife and I put a bid on a house this weekend and it got accepted. Needless to say it has a two-car garage. We are all quite excited! :D

The tough decision will be whether to decorate the garage with Aurora posters, or my study... ;)
  • javidoggjavidogg Posts: 366
    I for sure would go with the Aurora posters,
    also an Aurora banner too.

look on ebay there only like five bucks, for a poster that's 10"X8", you can frame them, some are bigger too.

Good luck with the new place.

Peace.
    I have several... The tough choice was whether to put them in the garage or in my study... ;)