Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Oldsmobile Aurora

Comments

• HenryHenry Posts: 1,106
    Sounds like you guys are in Love.
  • I have to agree with the others. Although I've had my share of problems with my '01 4.0, I don't bash Olds.

Let's remember, you bought the car used for the lower 20s not $35,000. Shouldn't you be comparing your car with another $20,000 car? So does a Taurus compare (it won't be fully loaded at $20,000)? Try to buy a comparable Altima or Camry for that amount.

If you're that unhappy, use a four letter word - "sell".
  • mike98cmike98c Posts: 293
    There's a tsb on how to fix the groaning noise. Also some of the Nissans are just as sensitive to balance issues.
    It seems to me the DEALER should be replaced.
    Try a main stream Caddy dealer which should be more receptive and competent since the Aurora is the same platform and powertrain as the Seville.
  • rjs200240rjs200240 Posts: 1,277
    In 2003, Olds sold 3,161 Aurora's. In 2002 they sold 8,878. In 2001 they sold 24,928, and in 2000 they sold 28,250. This is by calendar year, not model year.

That's 65,217 new-style Aurora's sold. Not a whole lot. I'd bet that at least 40,000 of those are V6 models, if not more. I wonder how many of them were silver or cappuchino? Man, they are like all that color... Seems like most of the ones I see are one of those two colors.

I think there were somewhere around 110,000 classic Aurora's sold, right?
    1999 calendar Aurora sales: 16,321. Aurora's in 1998: 21,374. 1997: 25,404. I couldn't find past that... I bow to the superior searching skills of he who can.

Also, in 1999 Olds sold 352,197 vehicles. In 2003, Buick sold 336,788, and of course Saturn only moved 271,157 vehicles...
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3651421698- &category=10777

I have one like that, but with an Indy car in it also, and it is tall, not wide.
  • sdasda Posts: 308
    Almost every 01 I see for sale is a 3.5 and bronze mist. I can certainly understand why someone would buy a 3.5, thou. Besides the obvious $$ savings compared to a V-8, it is still a strong running, spirited car. But why so many bronze mist?
    Oh, I'm having fun now. The right headlight on my 01 (low beam, not the driving light) is not working. This is the projector beam lamp. Who knows how much that will cost if its bad... The owner's manual indicates there is a separate fuse for both the left and right low beams. Unfortunately, the manual is not much help in saying where the fuse is located. It says there are two fuse boxes, one under hood, and the other under the rear seat. The fuse box under the hood/and schematic is not clear. Has anyone had to change this fuse? If so, where can I find it? I dread having to take it to the dealer and be asked to 'assume the position'. A little humor. ha ha. Thanks!
    You probably did, but you didn't mention it. The projectors still use halogen bulbs. It takes a 9006 bulb.

The fuse box under the hood is on the left under a black cover. I expect they are labelled on the box or cover... Or just look for a blown one.
  • RJS - I have been looking for the production #s you posted. Where did you get the info from?
    I didn't realize the projector beam took a halogen bulb. I thought is was a sealed/complete unit. I jumped to conclusion and feared the worst, that I had an expensive replacement ahead. My only glimmer of hope was I thought I might have blown a fuse, so I was going to look there first. I will go to the parts store today and buy a bulb. Hopefully that's the answer. Many thanks, rjs200240!
    That seems the most likely. They are Sylvania Halogen Plus (the long-life) bulbs if you want the exact replacement. You might want to get two, since they tend to burn out at similar rates.

To remove the light housing, there are two silver-colored bolts that go down towards the ground. I think they were 10mm heads. Just pull them out. There is also a ball-socket the light pushs into on the outermost side of it (the side of the light that is closest to the side of the car). When you put it back in, I push mine back as far as they go to ensure the aiming doesn't get messed up. One of mine was not mounted that way apparently from the factory, because I had to reaim it after the first time I removed it. But I have removed it several times since and the aiming has always been spot on by just pushing it back as far as it goes.

Advance Auto Parts has a buy one, get one 1/2 price for SilverStars. Plus, Sylvania has a $6 mail-in for two XtraVision, CoolBlue, or SilverStar bulbs. I'd recommend the XtraVisions as a nice, not expensive upgrade from the Halogen Pluses. The SilverStars are nice too, but a bit more money.

FYI, I also posted a bit back in the Accessories & Mods about a 9005 to 9006 modification I did. Just in case you are interested... ;)

The housing itself is a polycarbonate, and is quite expensive to replace. But definitely not a sealed-beam. I got some of that 3M film to cover them (I used Xpel, but there are other suppliers of pre-cut) to prevent pits, chips, and scratches from forming in them from gravel and such. They've been on for about 2 years, and I'm quite satisfied. I wish I could do it over again as I understand the application process better now and they'd look better. But for about $50 for the headlamps and foglights, I consider it money well-spent.

Edit: I'll post up about it on the Accessories & Mods forum, with some links.
    rjs200240, thanks again. Did you find the Xtra-Vision to improve the overall illumination? I've found the standard set up to be dimmer than I would expected with a enhanced set up.
    I got XtraVisions for my wife's car. They had nice lighting with good coloring. Her car had some Wagner bulbs that claimed the 20% brighter and whiter light and crap. The XtraVisions were cheaper, and I put one in one side to compare to the Wagners and they seemed brighter, a bit whiter, and seemed to have a better pattern (an indication of better quality control).

I have never compared XtraVisions to HalogenPluses, though. I don't know how much brighter they would be.

I can say that the 9005 to 9006 upgrade will substantially improve the lighting. I used 9005 SilverStar bulbs, but you could use HalogenPluses or whatever if you wanted to lower the cost. I don't believe there is a 9005 XtraVision bulb.

The upgrade took my lighting to an excellent level. They are now much brighter and more useful. They are at the point that I think more light would just be detrimental and annoying to oncomers. They light up the actual road to about the same distance as the high-beams, but they keep the light down low. So the high-beams are still a compliment to the lows. Plus, the lows don't put that extra light in peoples' faces.

If you don't want to do the upgrade, I'd say try the SilverStars in 9006 as they would probably be the most likely to improve your illumination. But the XtraVisions should put out the same amount of light, just not quite as white. I would assume there is some compromise to the HP's to make them last twice as long as the standard bulbs, and thus I'd assume there is some extra light from the XV's, but I've never seen them side-by-side. I'd shop around for Sylvania (in fact, I do shop for them even though some other stuff is closer) because they seem to make quality products.
    What's your impression of the low's compared to other cars low beams, though? I didn't find them to be incredible, but they were brighter, and put the light to use better, than any other low beams I've had.

I think the high-beams are pretty incredible. Whenever we're on some dark, unlit roads and I flip the brights on, I'm always impressed. They put out a ton of light. I also like that the low's stay on with the high's.
    Yes, I have found the low beams to be dimmer than I expected. I had a Mazda Millenia ('96) with projector type headlamps which were brighter, and had a better pattern. The high beams on the Aurora are great, however. How much should I expect to pay for these improved bulbs?
    The 9005's? Is that what you meant by the improved bulbs? The 9005 is the standard high-beam bulb on the Aurora. They should cost the same as the 9006 low-beams. You'll have to modify the base a bit because they aren't direct replacements. So you are basically putting a high-beam bulb in the low-beam housing. But the low-beam projector will determine the beam pattern. So it will keep the light down on the road.

The fact that the 9005 and 9006 SilverStars are the same price, but one puts out more light, is what made the SilverStars worth it to me. Otherwise I probably would have just bought XtraVisions since the whiteness doesn't matter that much to me (though it is neat, but doesn't really help yo see any better IMO).
    I purchased the Xtra-Vision 9006. They claim to put out 20% more light than standard bulb. Took about 20 minutes to change both sides. Owner's manual has clear instructions how to do this, and it wasn't difficult. On the drive in this morning, in rain and sleet,(snow later today?) I could see a noticeable difference in increased brightness. This is a welcome change. RJS, without your help, I'd still be spinning my wheels. Got the rebate, too. Without you mentioning this, I would not have known about it and the sales clerk said nothing. I had to ask.
    I really appreciate your interest and help.
    Steve
  • Instead of replacing the low beam bulb with the 9006, you replace with 9005 and do minor modification to the bulb or socket it fits in?

Thanks,
     Other Steve