Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Oldsmobile Aurora

Comments

• hammen2hammen2 Posts: 1,313
    If you have never replaced the front struts, that could be a real reason why your car rattles so much going over bumps. It was amazing the difference in ride quality in my '98 between the worn-out struts and rear air shocks, once they were replaced.

It's also possible some of the suspension bushings are shot (polyurethane replacements, anyone)?

--Robert
  • I noticed that while driving in colder weather the engine water temps are higher than when the amb is warmer. I also notice a slight increase in overall operating water temp since last year. Does this sound like a thermostat problem or a clogged rad in need of flushing? Is it difficult to change a thermostat if thats what it needs?
    This is a 1996 w/130,000 miles.

paul
    Have you checked your coolant with an antifreeze tester? Flushed your coolant anytime recently? I'd do those things before starting to swap parts... and don't forget to use the sealant tabs if you do the flush and fill...

--Robert
  • Can someone post the Classic's EPA miles per gallon numbers (city and highway)? Was there a change for 2001+?

Merry Christmas to all!

Les
  • Anyone have the part number for these tablets and how many do you add after a complete flush. I have an early 95 (#471) and it came from the factory with the green antifreeze. It was flushed 2 years ago when I bought the car and have not had to add any water since. Never runs above 210 so no cooling issues at this point. I always warm the car up about 5 to 10 minutes before driving. After warming up lately I notice spots of water on the garage floor beneath the exhaust tips. Not big puddles but only about 2 to 3" diameter. I would think this is normal condensation accept 2 days later the spots have not evaporated which leads me to believe they may contain antifreeze. As a precaution I want to add the seal tabs. When driving on a cold morning, my car seems to emit a little more steam than others on the road. Not nearly a fog machine like when my old 3.8 Taurus blew a head gasket.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,038
    Go to a Buick/Cadillac dealer parts department. Tell them which car it's for. They will look it up. My usual dealer had the right ones for LeSabre in a baggie like out of a bulk unlabeled shipment. The next year another dealer had a GM card with part number. But he asked which car--different tabs or sizes for different cars. I put in two out of 5 in the pack--don't want to clog the heater core.
  • sls002sls002 Posts: 2,788
    In 1995 the Aurora was rated 17 city, 24 highway. In the following years, 1996 on, it was rated 17/26 for some reason. Perhaps they tested the autobahn version in 95? The V8 aurora was still rated 17/26 in 2003.
  • rjs200240rjs200240 Posts: 1,277
    For 2002 on the rating climbed to 18/26. :)
  • sls002sls002 Posts: 2,788
    Actually the city dropped to 17 in 2003. In 2001 it was 17/25, then up to 18/26, then down to 17/26.
  • HenryHenry Posts: 1,106
    If you have a Classic Aurora, you can probably complete one of the two versions the following statement.

1) Please DON'T close the door by _____ ___ _ _____.

or

2) Please DON'T ______ __ ___ _____ when you close the door.

Come on you Classic guys, I know you know this one.
  • I'm considering purchasing a 2001 Aurora V6 from my dad. He's getting the new car itch and will sell the car to me for what the dealer offered him. It has about 45000 miles on it and the only issue it had was a problem with the torque converter (needed replaced at 30000 mi). It is in great shape, the interior still smells like new, and it'd be a great deal for me. However, I'm a little concerned about future repairs, etc. I have a pretty basic 2000 Grand Am (manual windows, 4cyl, etc) that has 85000 miles on it but there's really not a whole lot to go wrong with it and it has been very reliable. Are there any issues with the 2001+ models (esp V6) that I should be aware of beforehand? Thanks.
    Common issues with the 2001 cars include:

a) crankshaft position sensors (more on the V8, but I do hear V6 folks having this issue)
    b) Intermediate Steering Shaft - "clunking" on turns or over bumps
    c) on the V6 models, when the secondary air pump is active, the current draw is too much for the alternator, and it can make the lighting (both internal and external) flicker.

Does your dad have the 3/36 or the 5/60 warranty on his car? GM went to the higher warranty standard after the Olds shutdown announcement in 12/2000. Later on, you could drop the warranty down for an additional $1k credit.

--Robert

Yep, Christmas night, driving home from my brother's house, my '98 started making a driveline noise (like a loud road hum - thought it was the pavement at first since it was a new stretch of road). Noticed it also didn't seem to want to go over 45 mph. No CEL. Pulled off the freeway, checked everything out (trans fluid, checked the intake, reset PCM by disconnecting the battery for 20 minutes), still no go (seemed OK if you were rolling under 45 mph). Finally broke down and called my brother, who gave me a ride home.

Had it towed to a trans shop yesterday. When the tow truck driver (who bears an uncanny resemblance to Chris Elliott - maybe that's what he's doing these days) drove the car off the flatbed, I heard a rattling sound from the right front, like a BB rolling around the rim. Could the wheel hub/bearing be failing?

My August '97 built '98 has the Autobahn package, and the TSB about shift solenoids does apply to some '98's. I'm hoping, if it's the tranny, that's it (tach was a little high, but not close to redline, but I didn't push it since something was wrong). Otherwise, I've got a line on a couple different junkyard trannies (different depending on the Julian date of the trans - yes, both have the 3.71 Autobahn gearing) for around $400. Anyone know the book time to swap a tranny?

Oh yeah, I remembered that my third-party extended warranty was still in effect (100k miles or early January '06 - I have 98,650 miles on the car). Went to their web site... and their assets have been seized by the Hawaii Insurance Commissioner, and they're in liquidation. Oh well, can't really complain seeing how I got over $4500 in repairs paid out on an $1100 warranty...

Still waiting on the shop's diagnosis,

--Robert
    Good news. It was the wheel hub assembly (right front)... literally falling apart (one stud was broken, it and the lug nut were rolling around inside the rim - the other lugs were loose, and another stud broke when they went to tighten it). $330 later and she should be cured... whew!

Of course, the hubs usually go in pairs... I'm having them check the left one out. If nothing else I will probably replace it next fall when I pull the Aurora out of storage again (GTO comes out sometime in April)...

--Robert
  • push on the glass
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Oh good, I've been wondering what he was getting at!! That makes sense! :shades:
  • HenryHenry Posts: 1,106
    You are correct.

Do you know how many times I have had to say that to people?

Though I have never heard of it happenning to anyone, I am concerned that one day the glass will just break.

I have taken to not only telling people, but rolling down the glass when "new riders" with me get out of the car.

Henri
  • rjs200240rjs200240 Posts: 1,277
    Glad to hear it's nothing serious. That said, check the wheel studs on the other side. You can also compare their length to a new stud to see if they stretched.

The Regal had a similar, though worse, incident wherein the driver's side front wheel decided to take its leave of the car at about 60mph. Two wheel studs had snapped and the lugs stripped right off the other three. The three were about 1/4" longer than the replacements, making me wonder if the replacements weren't too short. When I then replaced the other side for safety's sake, I noticed they were the same length as the replacements. So the wheel studs had stretched significantly.
  • I just bought a 1999 Aurora and one of the reading lamp bulbs needs replaced. I pulled the lens cover off and cannot figure out how to remove the bulb. Any help?
  • sdasda Posts: 308
    Sad to say, I sold my 01 4.0 about a month ago. My father gave me his car as he can no longer drive. His car is paid for, is in perfect condition and should have many miles left. Payments were still being made on the Aurora, and a third car in the driveway was too many... My 4 yr old daughter still asks about "Aurora". "She was a sweet girl and I miss her. Daddy, can you get her back?" I wish I could. To the rest of you...enjoy. In our family we still have a '98 Aurora with 60k (mom's) and she will not consider getting rid of it. Good Luck and I wish you many miles of happy ownership!