Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Oldsmobile Aurora

Comments

• patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    You can link it to a message there very easily. Just right click on the highlighted post number of that message and choose Copy. Then in your new message on the Problems and Solutions board, right click and choose paste. It will look like a bunch of gobbledy-goop until you hit post -- then it will look like this: hammen2 Jun 16, 2002 1:02pm.

I think the directions for this are in the Town Hall Help File (linked on the left side of the page) in case I've confused you.

:)
  • avernonavernon Member Posts: 1
    chstr1000 I had similar problems with my '96. I replaced my spark plugs and now everything is fine.
  • s2261s2261 Member Posts: 14
    Before you start replacing things look into the misfire code AZ found. If it is for a specific cylinder look at the plug. Heck, look at all the plugs & wires. Carbon tracking will cause a misfire condition. A new FPR or EGR won't fix that. Always prove a part is bad before replacing it. Use a fuel pressure gauge to test the fpr.
  • rjs200240rjs200240 Member Posts: 1,277
    Apparently they missed out on the scam... When they tested the 240 hp 2003 Accord, they only managed to reach 60 mph after 8.0 seconds, and it took them 16.3 seconds @89 mph to cover the 1/4 mile. I'm sure a manual tranny can trim over 3 seconds off that 0-60 time, right? I've been finding this show to be rather enjoyable and mostly bias-free. And it's commercial-free!

An interesting side-note is that the track they use for most of their acceleration testing is the same one I went to with the Aurora. I emailed them to see if they would tell me when they are there testing cars, but I got no response. I thought it would be cool to stop by while they are peeling out in some 50th Anniversary 'Vette or some Viper or something.

Oh, they estimated the 2001 Aurora 4.0 at 7.5 seconds 0-60 mph, but they didn't actually get to test it due to snowy conditions while they had it.
  • garnesgarnes Member Posts: 950
    Interesting and hilarious. 6.6, 7.0, 8.0 ???? If motorweek tested it recently, it should have been nice and cool. I have to admit that the 16.3 is pretty impressive though.

Still, you have to love the October issue of C&D were the new Accord tested faster to 60 and the 1/4 mile than the Acura 3.2TL Type S, Audi A4 3.0, CVT BMW 330i, Infiniti G35, MB C320, and the VW Passat W-8.

I suspect things will only get worse as the focus on performance constantly increases.
  • b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    Production is down to about 30-60 cars a week.
    I wonder when they will do the Final 500?
  • golicgolic Member Posts: 714
    I have a 2001 v6 that I know I will keep until 100K miles. Have the 5yr/60. Can I get some good advice on getting an extended warranty to get me to 100k/0 deduct (which I will hit by 6yrs)

Thanks
  • carruolcarruol Member Posts: 1
    My 2001 Aurora 4.0 is just about this finest car around for the money. It is fully loaded with all the bells and whisles while imports are not most of the time AND if they were, the prices don't even come close to the better value of the Aurora and the warranty. Sorry to see this car go. Nick Carruol
    I found this to be really interesting. The curves on the Displacement-on-Demand engines were neat, and it had interesting info on GM's powertrain strategy. I think GM really does build the best engines, but they don't get credit for it because they build engines with broad powerbands, not ones with high peaks, so they don't score well on quick comparison or on horsepower/liter comparos.

GM seems to have plans to build some V6's in China and export them into North America. I find that a bit bothersome, but not surprising. There they can build a state-of-the-art facility without having some union gripe at them about how they don't care if automation improves quality because it cuts jobs for unskilled workers.

It's a .pdf document, so you need Acrobat or something similar.

http://media.gm.com/events/productseminar/presentations/stephens.pdf

• mlm4mlm4 Member Posts: 401
    A Final 500 Aurora was on display at the Central Florida International Auto Show this past weekend. Obviously, it is only a demo (and not actually among the final 500), but it had the red paint, special badges, embroidered seats and floormats and chrome kickplate on the front door sills. The Olds rep said that dealers should be taking orders for it soon, if not already, and that the final 500 production is going to occur in May.
  • sadoldsownersadoldsowner Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Aurora (bought new - never wrecked). The headlights keep blinking - it got so bad this weekend we had to use the fog lights to get home. It has been in 4 olds dealers a total of 5 times and they cannot find the problem. Just 72 hours ago, the alternator and voltage regulator were replaced but it did not help. If you have a suggestion - PLEASE e mail me at "westprwest@aol.com" REALLY appreciate it! Thanks!
  • chstr1000chstr1000 Member Posts: 32
    The other day I put new plugs and wires, a new fuel pressure regulator, and a new fuel filter on my car. The stalling problem has went away. I don't know which of these solved the problem, but at least its gone. I was going to put new plugs and wires and fuel filter on anyway. So all extra I'm out is the fpr. Only spent about $140 on these parts, replaced everything myself. Thanks everyone who give advice! David.
    There is this blue Dodge Stealth (remember those) with an enormous aftermarket wing that can be seen around our office area.

Weird thing: it has aftermarket wheels - the 2001+ chrome Aurora 17's. No center caps though. Yeah, they have the GM mark in there.
  • HenryHenry Member Posts: 1,106
    I guess the guy just likes playing with HOT WHEELS!

get it ??

the toy cars . . . . .

the play on words . . . .

Oh come on, it wasn't that bad.
    OK, not bad.
  • blk97aurorablk97aurora Member Posts: 573
    Chrome kick plates?!

Sounds grainy to me.
  • mike98cmike98c Member Posts: 293
    What is the one body part that the first generation Aurora and a c5 Corvette share?
    sadoldsowner:

Replacing alternator and voltage regulator to cure your 2001's headlight problem sounds like a real stretch to me. But if it was under warranty it didn't cost you anything other than time.

Three ideas come to mind:
    * Most (maybe all) cars have a self-resetting circuit breaker in series with the headlights; that could result in your symptom if there is a short somewhere in the headlight circuit. Unfortunately, short circuits are usually difficult to locate.
    * Many Classic owners have experienced problems with the headlight switch in the steering column -- don't know if 2001 is same.
    * I have never had the need to figure out how daytime running light circuitry works, but that may be another possible culprit.

Good luck. Let us know when you get a solution.
    Neither Mirror folds in.
    mike98c:

Door lock cylinders?
    Rear license plate lamps?
    Front license plate holder? Rare to see a front plate on a Corvette.
    License plate mounting screws.
    I just had this conversation about how fast a cavalier is now. I dont care if it is a 2003 model. The day a cavalier dusts
    my Aurora on the highway . . . . .
    door lock cylinders is very close.... Henry, blk97, care to try again?
  • 800wattaurora800wattaurora Member Posts: 187
    Is it no frame around the window? I win.

Henry, about cavailers. My buddy just spent 17K on 02 cavailer Z24. He was talking about how "quick" it is, and talking smack about my grandpa car (he's never been for a ride). I suggested a race is in order. I thought to myself, maybe he'll beat me off the line being so light, but he will be TOAST shortly after so 10mph.

RACE DAY-96 Aurora vs 02 Cavailer Z24
    Smoked him right off the line, kicked his but. We would go to 75mph, he let off it at 40mph. It was real ugly day for the new Z. Oh, too bad. You could of boughten a used classic for a lot less than his small white cavailer. what a waste of cash.
    Chocolate and Vanilla I guess.
    Good job Taylor. I'm sure you woke that guy up to the type of "grandpa" cars Olds makes. If a luxurious interior, sporty handling, and lots of speed makes it a grandpa car, I'm looking forward to getting old...

Mike98c, is it door handles?
    I ran into another Classic owner on the city streets. He was missing his fron hub cap. He told me he was at a mall and when he came back out the store the cap was gone.

Sound famaliar ??

I lost one of mine to an "indented" manhole cover. I am going to buy another two for $35.00 delivered to my door. Just - - - in - - - Case.
    There is currently an Aurora Indy racing jacket on ebay if you guys are interested. Unfortunity for me the jacket is a large and is therefore too small for me.

Henri
    rjs200240, your absolutley right! the door handles on the c5 are an Aurora tooling. Henry, maybe we need to have a at the mall, hubcap disappeared insurance rider! Attached to the warranty gold maybe?
    Great Z24 story. I especially like the "oh too bad". I can hear the comical tone in that. I'm LOL. Thanks.

I've toasted a Civic on the highway with the aftermarket wheels and exhaust. It was ugly too. I gave him 2 tries then let him go. Uncle Ben always deserves a beating.

Then - on the way home this junky astro van with no muffler (really loud) did not like my quick start from the previous light (trying to get away from the noise). So the goober hammers it at the next light and I just watched in disbelief for awhile. Then I passed the pile like it was standing still. He asked for it. What was he thinking?

I know, rather lowly kills. I wish I had a chance to out-muscle something better.
  • fjk57702fjk57702 Member Posts: 539
    Try a Seville luxury sedan.
    I hear you Greg, I've been looking for a race who is a worthy competitor. With the Corsa on now, I've been driving with a different attitude lately. I was in the conserve gas mode and now DIC reads about 13-15mph. lol. Not only because of my dirving, being COLD OUTSIDE, remote start runs a lot longer. Nice and toasty when I get in and good for the motor and everything. I let it run in the summer every morning 2-3 minutes before work. Gas isn't my concern these days, Don't get me wrong two bucks for gas is redicouls. Can't imagine living in Europe paying way more for a liter . I just think back about my last car/firstcar an 86 olds cuttlass 442 only got 9-13. So, this is better than that! lol. Also got in the habit of only running 93 octane from Amoco/BP. Don't care if it cost couple cents more. Ever run clark gas? it's terrible. Never, ever, ever, buy clark gas. Sometimes I'll put some 101 octane in, flush out the 93 twice a year, I'll do this next time for the track in the spring.
  • hammen2hammen2 Member Posts: 1,284
    Hey Taylor,

Something to consider... since you live in the Chicago metro area, you, like me, get one of the "reformulated" gas blends, which, for me, results in a 2-3 or more MPG penalty. If I gas up my car further Up North in Wisconsin, my mileage increases by at least that much. Don't know if you get much out of the Chicago metro area, but it's worth a try.

I tend to buy Clark gas because the station is near my house, their "premium premium" is only 12-14 cents per gallon (not 20, like Mobil and Amocos), and my car runs well with it. At least here in Milwaukee, all gas is refined in the same location - just different additives are added before it is trucked to the station. Of more concern is how well the station manages their tanks/how quickly the fuel turns over (the Clark near me is exceptionally busy). The only fuel injection problem I've ever had with any car came last summer after I filled up at a Mobil station in rural Wisconsin. I bet they don't sell much premium, so the gas was old and probably had a high moisture and dirt content. At least, that's my theory, and I'm sticking to it :-)

On another front, Taylor, if you don't mind me asking, what is the manufacturer and model number of your remote start unit? Can I ask what you paid for it, and if you had it professionally installed, or did it yourself? Any issues? My mother-in-law has a desire to get one for her Aurora, but she's looking at the el-cheapo $60-$70 units in the department stores. I know the Aurora is a complex beast that sometimes has electrical issues, and adding a cheap remote start unit is, to me, kind of like playing Russian roulette...

TIA,

--Robert
    Looks like the wheels are from the Cadillac CTS

Scroll down to the bottom of the page.

http://www.angelfire.com/comics/lesabre_88/2002_auto_show.html

The car looks just like mine, except for the wheels. It says it's special "Cherry" paint, but that's the name of the 2001-2002 color. Maybe it's special because it isn't a 2003 color. I like my wheels better...
    Hammen2-What you said about gas station tank maintaince is very true. I've just had bad experiences with Clark gas in my last car, 86 Olds 442, Didn't want to run right with their 93 in it. Haven't noticed different MPG's filling up out of Chicagoland.

Remote Start. Mines a Viper ESP 550. The ESP is the remote start option. It's around $180-200 for only the remote start package installed. I needed a good alarm with trunk detaurant sensors/locks to keep my precious sound systen safe. My alarm model is the 550 part, that runs $200+ extra $30 for up-graded trunk protection. There's various packages you can by.

What I hear is that Viper, Prestige, DEI, and one other company are all owned by the same parent company putting the same electronics with a different colored box and logo. They do make cheepier versions than the 200 remote start. I don't have any background with them. Mine was installed at my local custom stereo shop. I found a cheepier price at circuit city, but I don't want those amature auto enthuisits touching my Aurora. I got the stereo shop to match the price $420 and was installed by the big boys with a warrenty.

No problems with it so far put on before last winter, loved it. Now I'm going to hook up my heated seats to the 4th channel. Toasty buns in the morning every day!
    I saw the most hidious looking car on the road on Sunday. It was a black Classic. The car looked like it had been beaten with a "bad taste" stick.

The owner had:

1) Put on a black cloth coach roof (did I mention it was cheap looking?);

2) Put a logo on the trunk reflector panel that made it look like the car was wearing a nose ring;

3) Put on chrome Cragger style wheels that would have been more at home on a 67 Dodge Charger.

4) Put some sort of logo on the side of the car on the front fender just before the door panel.

5) And of course . . . dark tinted windows.

What is this guy's next project? Dressing the statue of liberty in a tube top and capri pants?
  • nne3jxcnne3jxc Member Posts: 134
    Henry,

I wish you'd gotten pictures for us to see. Plus you could've submitted it to Beaterz.com

Any time I need a laugh I go an check out some of the incredibly tacky/stupid cars...
    (Btw: the link above goes directly to one of the tackiest cars on the site -- the main page is here.)
    THANK YOU! That site is hilarious. LOL big time. I will send them one of a 77 monte that I took some pictures of (about 10 years ago). It did not have a straight piece of body metal on it. It was like crunched up aluminum foil that was somewhat flattened out. The bumper was falling off too. It's hilarious - just like the cars on that site.
    I guess the words "Resale Value" never enters these folks "minds".
  • hardestyhardesty Member Posts: 166
    So, any guesses as to which Cadillac the wheels on the Final 500 Aurora are from. Looks to me like they might be the chrome 17" set from the STS. I knew they had to replace the wheels after using the 17" Aurora wheels on the final 500 Intrigues, and I was pretty sure that GM didn't have any 18" FWD wheels in the lineup. I can't fault the color choice, both of my Auroras (2K1 & 2K2) have been cherry/neutral models. Too bad they didn't have the guts to drop the STS (or even the SLS) motor in the last run, a showroom stock 300hp Aurora would be a proper end to the Rocket-V8 line. Even though the distinction is cosmetic, I wouldn't mind having one of the Last Ladies (time to start buying lotto tickets).
    Here is some more info on the Collector's Edition. The color really looks like the Aurora cherry color. The Intrigue shots look more purple, though. Maybe it's just the lighting. I really like the color. I hope they don't use 17" STS wheels as that will look pretty dumb. I'd like to pick one of them up too, but we really don't need another car. But it's the last chance to get a new Aurora ever...
    They look a lot like the wheels on my Seville, but not quite. My wheels are only 16 inches anyway.
  • nne3jxcnne3jxc Member Posts: 134
    Is it just me, or does anyone else think that a "Collector's Edition" Silhouette is a fairly silly thing?
    Seriously though, where does one "draw the line?" Certainly the Aurora, Intrigue and Alero will be rare and possibly collectible in 15 or 20 years. But will a minivan? How much will the fact that it's a "last year" Oldsmobile model really add to its value?
    I guess it would be sort of insulting to Silhouette owners if they did a CE for every model except that one. I imagine there are people who appreciate their minivans as much as we appreciate our Auroras. Really, though, I think they should have just done it for the Aurora since it is the Olds flagship. Maybe the Bravada as sort of their truck flagship. The Intrigue didn't sell well (although it wasn't loaded for some reason), and I doubt a CE Alero will sell well. Actually, if the Silhouette is loaded, it might move pretty well. They are much nicer than the other two GM minivans, and people who buy them don't mind paying a premium for the niceness.

I sort of doubt the fact that it is a last year model will add to any of the CE edition's values... But, did you look at the Intrigue site? You get a nice letter and certificate and such. It's pretty neat.
    Are from the CTS which i think are the same as the 17" wheels on the STS.
    ...Merry Christmas, everyone!
  • 53rocket53rocket Member Posts: 65
    I got used to enjoying this forum daily. I hope this board hasn't gone the way of Oldsmobile itself.

Just put through refi on home to payoff car so I can buy the wife another car. Then I can have Laura (the Aurora).

Merry Christmas (albeit belated) and Happy New Year!
    Looks like all of the action for the past couple of weeks has drifted over to the Owner's Club.

On another note, read this anecdote in the "Year in Reverse" issue of AutoWeek:

"NOT YOUR FATHER'S CHEW TOY
    Luthia Snyder of McMinn County, Tennessee, called the local sheriff when she saw her 1998 Oldsmobile Aurora was crunched. And munched. According to the sheriff, "Some type of animal had apparently chewed on her front bumper, left-front fender and also the left-front inner fender." The damage was apparently $1,000. And probably a bad case of heartburn, since we know all Oldsmobiles are past their sell-by date."

Hoping nothing decides to bite into my '98 Aurora,

--Robert
    Well, I got a personal best mileage (for the Aurora) on a long trip. 400 miles to Cleveland and I got 25.1 mpg. I was driving around 70-75 most of the time, but with the mountains and hills it went up to 85 and down to 65 rather frequently. So I was pretty satisfied. Making the trip in my Dad's Regal, it only got about 23-24 mpg when driving a little more aggressively (the Aurora got about 23.5 when driven faster) so the 4.0 is actually pretty good. If it can get mileage like the S/C 3800, then that's pretty impressive. I have a feeling if I could stay off the go pedal, 26-28 mpg (which is about what the Intriguers and Regal GSers tend to post) would be entirely possible.

I took a detour this time and took I-68 and I-79 through wild West Virginia instead of taking the notorious Penna turnpike. I saved $5.45 (I had to get on the end of the Penna to get to Ohio, but it isn't bad there) and got to enjoy the stunning beauty of nature. The snow and valleys and mountains of western Maryland and West Virginia are probably some of the best driving scenery in the country. Having a silky V8 provide the soundtrack only makes it better...
    After I bought my 1998 Aurora, I drove it to Californa and back (~5000 miles). It was Fall, so I didn't need the A/C much and I cruised about 70 MPH. I averaged about 29 MPG on that trip and the computer actually got up to 30 MPG now and then. (my 29 MPG was based on the distance divided by the actual gallons of gas I bought)

I will take the Caddy on the same trip sometime.
    I drove through a lot of snow this Christmas and just had to share my experience with my fairly new (got about 7,000 miles on them) Michelin MXV4's. I got the 235/55/17's - same as the new 4.0's on my 98. These tires were great! I'd hit the brakes pretty hard in the snow and the ABS would not come on. I even thought it might be broken until I hit some ice or something. Accelerating was good too. The traction control was not needed unless you hit the gas too hard. These tires were a bit expensive, but worth every penny in bad weather.