Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Oldsmobile Aurora

Comments

• HenryHenry Member Posts: 1,106
  • mike98cmike98c Member Posts: 293
    I just wish I could get more traction in the cold weather! Still I beat a late model camaro across the intersection last week. She could'nt get her tires to hook up as I listened to her try and feather the throttle!
  • kayaman420kayaman420 Member Posts: 207
    I feel you man. It has been about 0 degrees here in Minnesota for the last month and my 95 doesnt even feel like the same car. The cold air makes it run like some 400 HP muscle car. The acceleration is absolutely incredible.
    Minneapolis here.
  • larryfllarryfl Member Posts: 214
    I don't think I could deal w/ zero degrees, but I will say my car ran A LOT better the other morning when we had a record low of 30 degrees. If it would get better the lower the temperature, then at Zero it must be a BEAST.
  • fjk57702fjk57702 Member Posts: 539
    At zero F the air density is about 15% more than at 70 F. This will increase the power output but I am not sure how much.
  • kayaman420kayaman420 Member Posts: 207
    Mike Im also in Minneapolis. Will it ever be warm again??

Regarding your traction. i have Michelin MXV4+ tires on my Aurora. They seem to stick fairly well. Out of curiosity what kind of tires are you on.
  • woodranch1woodranch1 Member Posts: 35
    1998 Aurora with 105K miles

Hi, I recently developed an odd stalling problem that the local Cadillac dealer has not been able to help me with. After about 5 minutes of running (after a cold start), when the temp reaches about 200, the engine sputters out. It usually happens once and then is OK.

It is so predictable that it stalls at the same intersection on the way to work everyday and then on the way home.

Any Ideas? Dealer thinks may be crank sensor?

Thanks
    Kumo ectsa 710 series, they were 50.00 a piece at tire rack, they've been good so far and seem to be wearing well. They're well constructed but have a very bland sidewall design, kind of like the old gumball cop tires. I had the same Michelins before. The kumos don't squeal on on ramps, but then my alignment was pretty far off when I replaced the used up struts and the tires. Could the Korean tire company be lowballing the Japanese and the Euro. tire makers for market share? Hmm.
  • jonbgoodjonbgood Member Posts: 157
    Haven't posted in a while - quick update. Love the Aurora - by far the most enjoyable car to drive of all I've had. 25k miles. Avg. 22mpg city/highway combined. Problems to date - sunroof bound - fixed under warranty. VERY infrequently automatic air will jump to 90 degrees and blow full scale. Has happened 3 times in 6 months. Anybody have this happen to them? Also - just purchased an extended warranty (I go off original in 1 month) from Warrantybynet.
  • cwiley1cwiley1 Member Posts: 82
    jonbgood--
    I hope you have better experience with this company than the Olds dealer did. The Olds dealer here said he will not accept any warranty work from them anymore. They lost about $1500 on the work they did for me. After all the work was okayed from Warrantybynet and the work was complete they crawfished on their approval and said the dealer here was charging to many hours and they wouldn't accept it. The dealer said since the work was done they would eat the $1500, but no more warranty work from Warrantybynet.

I still have 8 months or 15k miles left on my warranty. Guess I will have to find a new service shop. I will be writing the warranty company a nice letter, after I get reimbursed for my car rental.

Good luck.
  • beachloverbeachlover Member Posts: 17
    davesaurora and others,
    Did you ever get trouble codes without scanner? My info says you can "by grounding diagnostic test terminal "B" with ignition on and engine off, and count pulses". But I don't know where "B" is? Any help out there? Only for 1995 year....
  • rjs200240rjs200240 Member Posts: 1,277
    I'll post some more pictures later, but I wanted to let you all know that the Corsa is in progress! I'm going to take a break and eat lunch now.

For a time I didn't think I'd get it on. With the resonator and intermediate pipe slid up as far as they could go, the Y-pipe was nowhere near reaching the mufflers. I then slid the resonator and intermediate pipes back about half of the way. This allowed the mufflers to hook up fine, but I am a tad curious if this can lead to leaks. I'll talk to Jim at Corsa about it. It seems like the intermediate pipe should have been about 1/2 to 1 inch longer. The way it is now, it is pulled back a bit and not hanging straight down (the intermediate hangers are pulled towards the rear of the car a bit).

The sound is awesome. It is a tad louder than I expected it to be, but it is great. When cruising gently, you can't hear it at all. When cruising with the pedal pushed a bit and you'll hear more than stock. When giving it gas, it sounds incredible. It sounds a lot like a stock Mustang GT with the 260 hp 4.6L engine. It has that nice defined burble to it. But then it goes quiet, unlike the Mustang, when you get off the gas. I really like it!!
  • 800wattaurora800wattaurora Member Posts: 187
    All right Bob. Let's see some more pictures Mr. Digital Camera. Don't you just love the sound? Find an under pass to WOT under.
    Do you happen to know if your exhaust was installed with the pipes only overlapping about half as far as they can? Or were they all overlapping about as much as possible? It has me a little concerned. I wish the intermediate pipe were an inch longer after the hanger bar, but I also wish I had cut the pipe an inch longer than Jim had said to (although the longer int. pipe would be better because that would be longer in the right place, after the hanger).

Taylor, I have a lot of pictures of the stock system, but I doubt anyone wants to see that. By the time I was putting the Corsa on I was too frustrated and dirty to use the camera. And my car is too dirty to photograph. I'll have to clean it up a bit first.
    " And my car is too dirty to photograph. I'll have to clean it up a bit first."

Hmm, is that Carly Simon I hear in the background?
    I'll try to get some clips of the car with the Corsa on it. I won't have room on my Geocities account for the stock clips and the Corsa ones, so if you want to compare them you'd better save the current clips.

Greg, I did screw around with the mufflers and tips for a while, but I think I finally got them both even and looking pretty good. It was a bit of a pain, though.
  • garnesgarnes Member Posts: 950
    Wow, looks great. I had a hunch the tips would take some fiddling with.

How is your impression of just turning the key? That is the best part. Every time you start it up you get that muscle sound. Then the idle drops and it's quiet but is music to my ears - if I get out and stand behind it.

Anyway - I don't know how much things overlapped. I do know that they shifted the connection on the converter down a little so everything would match up. It doesn't seem to overlap much on the converter. I sent you those pictures of it.

Maybe if the intermediate hangers were more straight that would make the system hang a little lower????? Not sure.

I'd think Corsa could send you a piece that has been expanded on one or both ends as needed to sleeve in the extra 1 inch or whatever. Sounds like it came out a little different than Phil's car.

But really - looks great. I know how it sounds too - awesome.

We gotta get Oliver North to go with the Corsa now. That's your job.

Post more pictures!
    That's what I thought, too. The mufflers are also pulled in a bit to reach the Y. So it would probably hang just a tad lower if the pipe were longer. This would be a good thing, though. The tips are really close to the bumper, although they don't actually touch. That little extra breathing room would be nice. I had the tips all even looking, but now I noticed one side sticks out a tad further than the other. So I guess I'll monkey around with it some more.

It does sound bad-a** when I start it up. At first it blew me away (I was sort of thinking "what have I done!"). Then when the revs drop it sounds almost like normal. I do have a tiny bit more noise than normal, though. And some of the sound comes from under the car, not all out the rear. Maybe it has more of a note on the newer Aurora. But it isn't objectionable. While it is quiet when idling and cruising, it isn't as quiet as the stock system was.

Apparently Jim is out for the week, but I am hoping he can fab up a new intermediate pipe. I guess we'll see. If not, it does seem to be on well. I sprayed the junctions down with soapy water and then started it up. There don't appear to be any leaks or anything. It's funny how light the mufflers are but how heavy the pipe is. I think they Y-pipe weighed more than a muffler did. And it's cool to look straight through them (I forgot to look down the resonator before attaching it, though!).
  • 800wattaurora800wattaurora Member Posts: 187
    Not too sure about how far that pipe overhangs. Your install job looks great!! I knew you'd be happy with the sound of it. The start up is pretty cool sounding. It's loud at first than quites up right away as RPMS drop. Do either of you have a remote starter? I Love standing behind it and start her up.One day at work last week, me and Ray go out to start our cars before leaving. We stand in the doorway and he fires up his 98Camaro Z28 and than my Corsas fire up. Ray was amazed that mine sounded Loudier and coolier sounding (more distinct gurgle) than his flowmasters. He gave me some good compliements than asked wanna race. No. I'm not stupid, But I'm doing pretty good with +4000lbs , 4.0 liters, and 4 doors. He agrees. Anyways

Bob isn't the performance gain just KICK BUTT!!!? I agree with you that this mod was more noticeable than the intake and TB were. I could feel both, but the Corsa justs pulls WAY harder. I wonder if dynomax has the same feeling. I doubt it, not 100% straight through and can't sound as tough. I love the real deep gurgle, gurgle at idle. Than with a little Rev its a va-varoom. It doesnt get old either. I love it every day.

Question for you Bob, Next time you go under your Corsa to adjust something, PLEASE look at how the hangers are shaped. I wanted my system lifted like 1/2 in or so maybe less and my installer said he probably could cut the hanger and tig-weld them back to gether for about $100 more. Does it look like this is possible? I might take it somewhere else that can tig-weld for cheepier. My system is spot welded in place and would ba a hassel to adjust. On my car, one muffler is a little higher than the other, but the tips line up even and straight, there just a tad lower than how I want them. Gregs height looks a touch higher than mine.

I'll have to get some pictures up sometime. It's cold and raining/snowing her in Chicago still and a carwash wouldn't last one drive. Hopefully one nice little dry strech will come soon.

Henry- I too HAVE to wash my car before any pictures, it's like the LAW!!!
    Sure, I bet the hangers could be removed and reattached. They sort of wrap around the end of the muffler. It could also be bent more, but maybe not while it's attached to your car. I'll take a picture of it and try to get it up today.

On my car, when the car is cold, it revs at like 1200 rpm for about 20 seconds. Then it drops to idle. I believe this is for better start-up emissions. In my garage, it sounds like a damn big-block or something. That's when I though "what have I done" at first. It was really loud (and tough). But once the revs drop it is almost like stock. Anyway, I hadn't parked the car anywhere yet, so I'd only heard it in the garage. Yesterday when I got back to the car from class and started it, it sounded much more mellow and appropriate. It really sounded sweet outside. It is just so great!
  • mariposarosadamariposarosada Member Posts: 54
    Question: Does the Classic Autobahn Aurora rev higher or lower at highway speed compared to the standard Aurora? Why?
    The aurobahn package gives you a 3.71:1 axle ratio instead of the standard 3.48:1. You also get V rated tires so the speed limiter is removed/changed. So the difference is the engine will run faster by the ratio 3.71/3.48 = 1.066

Another way to look at is the standard gears will give about 33 MPH for each 1000 RPMs (66 MPH @2000 RPMs) and the autobahn will give about 31 MPH per 1000 RPMs (62 MPH @2000 RPMs).
    There is a release on it. Also, Corsa has more releases than before, including ones on the Seville and the STS pace car. Lots of neat stuff. They did some cool stuff at a local diner too.

imageimage
    Ok, I got some clips of the car with the Corsa on it. Again, I would recommend downloading them and then playing them otherwise they will probably be real choppy. Plus, that way if you decide to watch it again you don't have to waste more download time. If the site comes up saying the bandwidth was exceeded, then just try again later that day or the next day.

I'll post about it on GMForums later in the week, so you guys can get first crack at the bandwidth. Enjoy! If you want to compare the clips to the stock system, I hope you saved them. There is no space on my free account for all the clips.
  • bryanttarvinbryanttarvin Member Posts: 23
    Hello everyone,

I have been 'lurking' on this board for a few weeks and see that the enthusiasm for the Aurora is great!

I have a question for all of you? Is anyone seriously considering buying a Collection's Edition? I ask the question because I am. I have seen a few comments about it but I don't think that anyone have mentioned that they are actually going to purchase one.

I have a 1990 Olds Touring Sedan and love it still (bought 6.5 years ago used). I have always loved the Bonneville SSEi as my dream car, but with the demise of Olds and the last year of the Aurora and Collection's Edition low production, I am trying to get one. Have already got on the nearest Olds dealers' list and put a deposit down. I don't plan on getting rid of the Touring Sedan either (will continue to be my daily driver).

Everyone answer at will. I also would like to know what you think about the Collector's Edition, good or bad.

Thanks in advance for indulging a 'hope to be' Aurora driver and fan.

B.T.
  • javidoggjavidogg Member Posts: 366
    If I had the money to buy a Collector's Edition Aurora, I for sure would get one any one here would for that matter.

My props go out to those of you who plan on purchasing one of those babies.

http://www.cardomain.com/id/javidogg
    Go for it! It's a nice car. I don't know if I'd put a deposit down yet without knowing what equipment it will come with, though. On the Intrigue, you couldn't get a lot of stuff even as an option (like PCS). Hopefully the Aurora will be loaded, but the Intrigue wasn't. And for 2003, less equipment is standard than was for a 2002 4.0 (though it's all available). I like the look and the owner's kit will be neat. But I already have a 2002, so I wouldn't buy one (and I like my color better).

My guess is you won't have to fight for one. The Final 500 Intrigues sat on a lot of dealer lots if you check out the Intrigue board. An Olds dealer near me just sold the one they had about a month ago. I made it over there to see it before it was gone, though. It's a nice color, but is a bit dark and almost purply. It doesn't photograph right (it seems to look really red or really dark), so maybe see if you can look at a CE Intrigue to see about the color.

If you buy it, you'd better post some here about it. It's a great car and the Collector's Edition will really be neat. I hope you know how to post photos!
    I went to a stockholders meeting in Baltimore yesterday, and then on to the Baltimore auto show courtesy of GM. The meetings was sort of boring. There were no big name people, and it was mainly about GM's eco focus. They did have question cards to fill out, and I asked "Why would a company that has the best products GM makes, a rich history of racing dominating in the NHRA, IMSA, and IRL, and a rich history of innovation, not bother to advertise any of this? No one will buy a product that they don't know exists." They didn't read it, though. Instead they read stupid ones like "when will model X be out?" or "does car Y sell well (the CTS, actually)?". All questions the idiots who asked them could have answered on their own with a tiny bit of research. And some idiot asked why American cars weren't as good about maintenance as the Japanese. Like Nissan or Mazda or Mitsubishi really have anything on GM... And I'd bet the asker never paid for a part of a Honda or Toyota. Just stupid questions. They did read one question about Oldsmobile, but all they asked was "are you really going to kill Oldsmobile?", to which the answer was a simple "yes". I booed at that point, but didn't want to make a scene. The guy who answered did joke that anyone who would want to buy an Oldsmobile should instead buy a GMC Safari or Chevy Astro van when Olds is gone. He was the plant manager for the Baltimore plant which makes the Safari and Astro, so it was pretty amusing.

They also showed an incredibly cool "Overdrive" commercial about how GM is back and kicking butt. Hopefully they air it on TV and not just at stockholder meetings. I'm not holding my breath, though, as that Olds DVD is incredibly cool, but only Olds fans will ever see it.

The Baltimore auto show pales to Detroit, but that's to be expected. They had some cars from old shows, which was sort of neat. The Vibe and Grand Prix GXP's were there, but no Bonnie. They both had Corsa tips, but the raised "CORSA" wasn't on them. No Final 500, to my wife's dismay (she didn't go to the Detroit show and she wants to see the CE Aurora, although from pictures she doesn't like the color much). My wife commented on how cheap the Infiniti interiors were, and we both raised an eyebrow at the sticker prices of the Lexus GS and ES with puny V-6's.

There were some auto clubs and such on display, and there was a nice Corvette club setup (there were also a ton of goofy import "tuners" set up there, amusingly set up right across from some Ferraris. It was like a lesson on how scoops can look cool or stupid depending on how they are used). There was a trivia chart, and it mentioned how the new Corvette shares only one part with another car. As Henri said, it's the door handle which is shared with the Oldsmobile Aurora. It was nice to see the Aurora mentioned in some way at the show...
    Here is a list of what every RPO on a GM car for about the last 20 years. Unfortunately the descriptions are fairly vague, though. Like, look up QQX. It isn't very helpful:

http://service.gm.com/gmtechlink/images/issues/ref_gds.html
  • bryanttarvinbryanttarvin Member Posts: 23
    RJS200240 and Javidogg,

Thanks for responding to my post so far.

I put down a deposit on one at the dealership the first week of January so that I could be the first person at their dealership to get the chance to order one. They told me that they were not ordering any for their stock. They would only order for a customer who specifically wanted one. They told me that they may be allocated to get maybe two.

Oldsmobile began putting out information about the Final 500 around that time. The salesman helping me printed out all the information they had at the time from their computer about what the Final 500 would contain. It will be a special option package (option code R1K). It will have in addition to the well-known core Collector's items:

* Passenger Comfort Package
    * Convenience Package
    * Heated Seats
    * Unique 17" Chrome wheels (Cadillac STS Chrome wheels I found out elsewhere)

The only thing (and most important thing) that Oldsmobile hasn't released yet is what the pricing will be for the package.

If you want to see some great pictures of what it looks like, go to the Aurora Photo Gallery board and look at messages #102 and #105. I ordered some information about the Aurora from GM's website and they sent me a double-sided brochure explaining all about the Collector's Edition. Message #105 just mentioned above are pictures of the brochure. Also, go to www.conceptcarz.com and look up Oldsmobile models for more pictures taken from various auto shows.

By the way, RJS200240, I really like your Aurora and the movie clips of the sound of your car's engine, exhaust, and the Corsas. I'm counting down the days until I possibly could have one in my driveway.

B.T.
    That sounds great. The CE will surely be something special. Have you seen what came in the Intrigue owner's kit? It looks really nice.

I think no matter what, the Aurora is worth every penny it costs, but have you thought about calling some other dealerships just to inquire about the collectors edition? There are some terrific discounts on Auroras and other Oldsmobiles. I think dealers know that if they dont sell it soon the car will just sit and get harder to sell. Ive seen 2001 Auroras still sitting new on dealer lots. So they have a strong incentive to give you a great deal. You may just want to shop around a bit if for no other reason than to get some idea of what a fair price might be. Also, while you are doing that you can inquire if any of those other Olds dealers have any Final 500 Intrigues. That way you can really see what the paint color looks like and what the various badging looks like. But I dont think you will be disappointed. It all looks much nicer in person than in the photos Ive seen. Some photos make the badging look sort of garish and the paint look brownish, but it is very attractive in person.

Plus, youll get the latest and greatest Aurora V8 with a forged steel crank and polymer coated pistons. And a 4T80-E with improved garage shifting. It's such an incredible car...

Oh, the car at the NAIAS had a sunroof, but no nav system (I didn't notice one anyway). But I don't really care for nav systems in the first place, so that's exactly how I'd take one.
  • steinhausteinhau Member Posts: 5
    After getting a quote of $102.- for a remote keyless entry transmitter for my 95 Aurora I stumbled upon this site:
    http://www.keylessride.com/order/options.asp?make=Oldsmobile&- - - remoteyear=1995&model=Aurora

For OEM wholesale parts, I chose to go here:
    http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=selectTre- - e&CatalogID=2&siteid=213761

Rebuilt Fuel Injectors can be found here for $53.- each:
    http://www.a-1injectors.com/inj/oldsmobile.html

If you have any Aurora specific links, please share them....

Thanks....

= Uwe =
  • 95mushroom95mushroom Member Posts: 230
    I am really considering an engine swap for my Aurora. I heard guys on the GMforums board say that all I would need to drop in the Cadillac 4.6, is the engine and computer.

Any ideas or thoughts? I've already come to the conclusion that the best(i.e. cheapest) is to get a savlaged Cadillac. Which one should I look for? The deville dts, seville sts or eldorado? Also, which year will work in my 95? I'd like to get a newer one obviously.

Lastly, my trans is acting funky. When I let off the gas above 40mph, then lighty to medium get back on the gas, sometimes stutters. It seems like when the overdrive disengages and revs come-upit causes it. Any ideas? Also what year cadillacs transaxles would fit?

Thanks in advance
    Shawn
    This topic has come up before but no one has ever done it. I do not think you need the caddie computer. The Auora computer should be able to control the 4.6.
    With the gearing in the Autobahn and the regular Aurora i'd keep the Aurora trans. and go for the torquer 275 h.p. 4.6 out of a Deville or Seville. Otherwise you'll have to really stomp on it to get any dubious advantage over the peakier 300 h.p. northstar.
  • mindseye97mindseye97 Member Posts: 25
    This may sound crazy, but if you have the original ignition coils they can go bad and cause the the stuttering (or surging) like you describe. If a coil is weak it will not be able to fire the plugs under a high load condition- giving it gas from an initial low RPM. The coils are fairly cheap and I would just replace all four at once along with the wires. I had a car with the same issue and fixed it this way. It may seem like the trans but they act funny if the engine torque is not correct.
  • blk97aurorablk97aurora Member Posts: 573
    95mushroom:

What is your objective with an engine swap?

If you need to replace a dead or dying 4.0, then going to a 4.6 probably makes sense. We have read reports of engine mount incompatibilities between Aurora and Cadillac, but nothing definitive IMHO. As others have pointed out, the Cadillac 275-hp version has higher torque and higher horsepower than the 300-hp in the lower rpm ranges that are more useful except for all-out racing.

On the other hand, if you are seeking only power increase, I believe there are several options with much better "bang for the buck" than swapping for a 4.6.

A K&N air filter and very simple air intake modifications will gain you 10 hp and 10 lb-ft of torque for well under $100.

The RSM throttle body is good for another ~10 hp and lb-ft for about $300.

On the exhaust side, the Corsa system increases power and gives a satisfying exhaust sound. Somewhat more expensive at $1000+.

From time-to-time I also see references to turbocharges and superchargers, but I have no experience or details.
  • 95mushroom95mushroom Member Posts: 230
    Yeah, thats what I though, just modding the 4.0. Then it occured to me that after I was to install the new engine, then add upgrades to the 4.6 I would be looking at roughly 350hp, right? (Exhaust, intake, etc)

But then if I mod the 300-hp 4.6 I probably would gain back the lost torque and then some??

mindseye97, is there anyway to tell visually is the coils are bad?
  • sinatra2sinatra2 Member Posts: 65
    sometimes you can tell a bad coil by reving the engine while observing the coils. A spark jumping from a wire boot to the body of a specific coil can indicate that that coil is bad. This does not work all the time but when it does the coil is usually bad. This would be a quick check only if you are experiencing a miss....not a stumble or a stutter. believe it or not there is a difference.
  • mindseye97mindseye97 Member Posts: 25
    Can't tell if the guts of a coil are still good as heat over time will increase the internal resistance and reduce its output. Just think of it as a preventive action as they will not last forever, especially under our smoking hot hoods.
  • blk97aurorablk97aurora Member Posts: 573
    As they say (or used to say), "There's no substitute for cubic inches." Any mod for the 4.0 Aurora would probably work as well for either Cadillac Northstar. It just depends on how much you are willing to spend.

The output (hp and torque) of the 4.0 Aurora falls between the two Cadillac motors when normalized by displacement. I have never seen a complete definitive analysis of the differences among the three motors. It is certain that the cam shafts are different. So "fattening" the hp and torque output of the 300hp may require extensive mods.

One or both of the Cads also have a magnesium intake manifold. Whether this provides a performace increase over the Aurora's plastic manifold is unknown to me.

Stock AC Delco coils are available for about $45 from discount dealers. Accel sells replacement coils for about the same price; however, their bright yellow color is a bit incongruous with our "stealth" Auroras. You could try replacing one coil at a time if you don't want to spring for all four at once.
    As the former owner of a 98 Aurora and the current owner of a 2002 Seville LS with 275 HP engine, I can say that the torque on the 275 HP northstar is excellent at low speeds. I don't really notice any performance loss with the A/C compressor on. The Aurora allways seemed to lose power with the A/C compressor on at lower engine speeds. I do know that the 300 HP torque curve drops off at lower engine speeds much faster than the 275 HP engine does. The 275 HP engine is tuned for lowend torque, while the 300 HP engine is tuned for high speed performance. The Aurora's engine was trying for something in the middle I think. They were really targeting the 250 HP number and wanted the engine to be 4 liters. I think the Lexus 400 was the target.
    I'm pretty certain I posted the cam specs for my car and a comparison to someone that posted theirs for a 275hp Deville or something. If I remember correctly, the Aurora has the same cam profile as the 275hp Northstar. It's no surprise, though, that it makes more power than 4/4.6 of 275. There is a diminishing return as you go larger and larger. It's easier to squeeze out higher power/displacment numbers from a smaller engine.

What I found more interesting than the peak numbers was where they occur. The torque peak happens at the same rpm as the 300hp NS's torque peak, but the power peak is at the same rpm as the 275hp NS's power peak.
    It looks like OnStar is growing. This is great, because perhaps it will bring down the cost. The non-GM makes that will be using it now include Acura, Audi, Isuzu, Lexus, Subaru, and Volkswagen.

What I find amusing is that Audi and Acura are cool with calling it OnStar, but not Lexus. They are calling it Lexus Link. So now I can look forward to the reviews in the car mags that praise the sleek quality feel of the Lexus Link buttons while castigating the cheap plasticy feel of OnStar buttons. ;)
    This seems to be an ongoing discussion that pops up every so often. The issue has been the mounting of the engine in the Aurora. There has been talk that due to the way the engine mounts up, the engine would sit too high in the Aurora, and you would not be able to close the hood. One person posted that a dealer showed him the difference in the mountings.

To put in my 2 cents on this point. I once parked my car nest to a deville and opened the hoods. The engine in the deville looked larger than my engine. I was told that this was an illusion because the 4.6 sat higher than the 4.0. While this is not dispositive on the issue, it does lend some support to the "high mount" theory of why the engines can not be swapped (and still close the hood).

However, like I said before, somebody out there has either done this mod or attempted it. He is just not here to tell us about it.

Henri
    Unfortunity I think you are right about this.
    Was it this board were someone said that the cross member on the Aurora interfered (as I assume it would on the Seville) so the motor mounts would have to be adapted or adapter used as well as the oil pan swapped over from the 4.0 to the 4.6 for proper clearance. Maybe the Aurora mounts themselves would bolt up to the same location as the Caddy mounts but are shaped different. Wouldn't that be nice!
    We went through the 7.5 qurats thing. So the oil pans are the same size. Are you saying that they are shaped differently? This should be easy enough to find out since you can see if the oil pans have the eame part number.