Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Oldsmobile Aurora

Comments

• musclecar97musclecar97 Posts: 111
    HOW does he find this stuff????
  • HenryHenry Posts: 1,106
    Your answer to the DIC question was a bit of a disappointment. I expected to see a quadratic equation posted .
    even after the "evil temptress" is gone.
    YOU still can not stay away.

Should we start a pool on how long it will take Zinc to buy another Aurora???
  • aurora5000aurora5000 Posts: 168
    Does anyone have any experience with the Auterra Software for OBD II?

Will let you know about the A/C switch when I power down.

Went to the Dealers Annual Car show here in the city. On Sat. March 9, I saw the small poster with the info. about the Aurora as "Car of the Decade". The lady at the Olds booth said they just got the info. in on Fri. from GM.

The neatest thing (I thought)at the Car Show was a view of the Northstar engine display at the Cad booth. It was cut up and chromed to show almost all of the engine parts. I was really impressed with the engine up close. I suggest to all if the show comes to your town, try to make it... for me that alone is worth the trip.

Also...2001 and 2002 differences...
    1)Chrome exhaust tips?
    2)Trunk lid around liscense plate has a designed line of some sort on back side of trunk?
    3) Navigation radio?
    4) Attachments for Child seat in back seat?
  • rjs200240rjs200240 Posts: 1,277
    You don't check for a few days and you get 28 new messages...

Garnes, I got my K&N from Summit Racing at www.summitracing.com but I haven't gotten one for my Aurora yet. I bought a lot of parts from them for my Corvette (which I put a link to from my Aurora page) and they always had the best prices. They carry a whole lot of parts too.
  • hardestyhardesty Posts: 166
    Having owned both, I'll give it my best shot.

1. Chrome exhaust tips (yes)
    2. The trunk lid thing is the difference between the 3.5 and 4.0 (steel with insert vs. aluminum smooth) not a 2001 vs. 2002 thing
    3. Navigation radio (not available with Bose)
    4 LATCH anchors at all 3 rear seating positions
    5. 2002 does not have strange floppy plastic in trunk (if you have a 2001, you know what I mean)
    6. Modified glove box interior (make up for quick fix, early 2001s sucked papers out of box into A/C)
    7. Slight differences in cup holders and the center dash cubby.
    8. Better mileage rating for 2002 4.0, and while unpublished, more power across the revs (I think better programming is the cause, car just seems that little bit smoother)

Others that I have missed, some are running changes (not strictly model year differences). Only about one more year of production left.
    The inside of the trunk is also different in that the 2002 now has the glowing release handle for those people that find themselves closed in the trunk.
  • fjk57702fjk57702 Posts: 539
    This webpage has equations:

http://www.bartleby.com/173/11.html

The v/c factor squared is 10^-14 and my calculator rounds off to 1. So we have to approximate the square root of 1 + small value. Actually we want the square root of 1 + small value squared. I think the answer is 3.5 billion years, but I may be off by a factor of two or perhaps more? Anyway this is assuming that you don't stop for gas!

Okay, the square root of 1 + delta, where delta is small is about 1/2 delta, so the answer is a bit over 7 billion years. I think that we can neglect relativity corrections. The speed of light is near 186,000 miles per second, so once you are near 1% or more of the speed of light, then things are a bit different.

• garnesgarnes Posts: 950
    Oh man - Cark Sagan in an Aurora. What a concept. I think he actually passed away not to long ago. I'll bet he had an Aurora. Even the name is perfect for him - and the engine name!

Well it's a good thing the seats are fat and comfy if I'll be cruising that long.

Fjk, your leaving me light years behind on this.
    I goofed. I computed the time it takes to get one whole hour difference, so the time for 1 second is 1/3600 or about 2 million years. So your guess of millions was not so far off.
    On who you were trying to get one second ahead of? Doesn't the speed of whoever you're trying to gain on come into account? If you're trying to get your Aurora one second ahead of mine, doesn't it matter that I drive mine too? And can you hang on to that one second for a rainy day? You could pull it out at a light when you're trying to beat some dude in a Mustang, or when you're at the track and you need that little extra boost... Perhaps we've come across a new automotive performance scam... We could sell seconds to gearheaded suckers... We could say the seconds are coated with Teflon just to hype it up a little more.
    I assumed that garnes was asking for how long it would take for 1 second of difference to accumulate between someone not moving vs some driving 120 MPH.

time (moving) = time(standing still) divided by square root of (1 - v^2/c^2) where v is 120 MPH and c is the speed of light (^2 -> squared). v/c is a small number (~10^-7) and after squaring my calculator (10 digits precision) can't compute the 1-10^-14.
    I know what you meant. I was just being retarded...
  • other than the navigation radio and exhaust tips, I think the rest are late 2001 implementation-including the trunk release and child tethers.
  • daevendaeven Posts: 28
    I finally rolled 200K miles on my 95 Aurora today. Of course I had to have a failuer at 199,500 last week to make me wonder if I would actually make it.

The radiator developed a leak and the Olds dealer quoted over $900 for the repair. If you need a new radiator, check with independant shops. They can get a new non-GM radiator for about $240.

Now I'm shooting for 250K, and since I'm now driving back and forth between Chicago and Columbus each weekend, I'll get there soon.
    Have you been using synthetic oil? or changing oil when the computer says to?
    zinc- put me down for 6 months. Also, please tell us what you got to replace the Aurora and how it compares.

math- lol, you guys are killing me. I wonder what the Volvo discussion looks like? the quasi-political ramifications of party politics in eastern eurasia?
    MUSCLECAR97 - ROFL
    Know I know the last couple of postings HAVE to be a violation of the TOU.

I think I saw the quantum physics exclusion.
  • gisomgisom Posts: 144
    I put on shocks for the rears at 72,000 because they were leaking on one side and the new shocks will give you a stiffer ride. Just remember to put your air line on for your load levelers. I bought my scanner from Auto Xray for my 95 and it gives you readings for 46 sensors in the car. It told me I needed o2 sensor. I replaced it and passed the emission test easily. It also told me about a couple other problems, a torque convertor clutch error and a input speed circuit problem which I have not addressed yet. The scanner is surely worth the $94 I paid for it.
  • aurora5000aurora5000 Posts: 168
    Garnes states: When you do this power down, and start it up for the first time, tell me if the flipping AC comes on - that's kind of weird.

I did the overnight powerdown and powered back up. The A/C came on along with throwing the air path selection and fan motor speed into the Automatic mode.
    You were correct in the answer of having to put in correct date in DIC. It kept all other data except it reset the gallons of fuel used, the elapsed time clock and the mileage average of gas per gallon...
    I was also concerned it would reset the 2 Seat positions but it did not, however I think it did reset the outside mirror positions for the 2 seat positions. Also it DID NOT reset the Bose sound system as all sound system presets remained.
    Henry - no violation. It is after all an "Aurora" powered by the "Northstar", so all discussions of travel through time and space should be in-bounds. It's a special car.

Deaven - rock on. I too am interested in your maintenance. Has the car been pretty much solid?

Gisom - When the scanner gave you those messages, did you have the "service engine soon light", or did you in fact have these issues without being warned by the light?

Fjk - thanks for the figuring it all out. Sounds like daeven is well on his way toward realizing that "extra" second.

Rjs - thanks for the K&N source again.
    Aurora 5000 - glad it all worked out.
    "It also told me about . . . a torque convertor clutch error." I had this issue on my 95. This was the tranny problem that costs my warranty company over $5,000 to fix and diagnose. If you start gettng a check engine light under hard acceleration we need to talk. I can probably save you a lot of time and money. However, if you want to take the SHOP KING title, this could do it for you. What was the error code number(s) that appeared on the scanner?

Henri
  • gisomgisom Posts: 144
    When I hooked up the scanner, the codes were under history codes which mean they were stored in the computer already. The code numbers were 39 for the torque convertor and 56 for the input speed circuit problem. I kept the scanner hooked up while driving until the check engine light came on and then I hit the monitor button on it and it gave me a current code of 56 for the input speed circuit problem. I originally bought the scanner because my abs and traction lights stay on all the time and the techs were just guessing why that was. At one time while idling the traction light would light up while I hear this buzzing sound and then go out but as I start driving the car the abs and traction lights would come on. Now they come on instantly and stay on, so I bought the scanner to try and figure out why.
    My service light seems to come on at different times like just coming off the expressway and dropping down to 35 to 40 mph.
  • gisom- May sound trivial but double check the two abs fuses in the box in the front right corner under the hood (there is also another smaller one in the left side of the IP). I had the same thing happen with both lights going on after I caused a short messing with the giant jumper block on the firewall. In my case it was the big 30A fuse. All is well now.
  • cehsr8033cehsr8033 Posts: 11
    Has anyone experienced a "pop" when turning the wheel on a 2001 Aurora? This is a semi-recent sound and feel that transmits thru the steering wheel. I have about 13000 on my 4.0 and it is irritating to say the least as it is quite audible and it can be felt. Any info will help as my car is going back to the dealer for a repair to the "rainsense" monitor on windshield--seems the windshield was replaced and the installer put the sensing device back on with mirror glue--obscuring the device that "sees" the moisture on the windshield. Thanks for any info.
  • realyecatrealyecat Posts: 29
    All base models:
    2002 Aurora 3.5L, $25300 after all rebates and loyalty certificate, 5-year warranty;
    2003 Infiniti G35 w/leather, $26950, 4-year warranty;
    2002 Maxima GLE plus 4 splash guards, $23500, 3-year warranty.

All things considered, which one is the best deal?

Thanks in advance.
    Gotta get the Maxima, especially if they're throwing in free mudflaps!
  • realyecatrealyecat Posts: 29
    I love Aurora's styling very much, and the price I got is about $6500 off MSRP, hard to pass by.
    Quality concern weighs though.

On the other hand, I have been very excited for the G35 for QUITE some time and I expect the resale value to be very good.

Maxima GLE, much improved, leather, xenon lights and bose, etc. all standard, AND, WIFE find it ridiculous to spend more than $24000 for a car primarily for commute!

Now you know why I have a headache.

Thank you. Keep on the good job of giving me more reasons!