Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Oldsmobile Aurora

Comments

• rjs200240rjs200240 Member Posts: 1,277
    Make sure you get the fob with the number "2" on the back (or "1" if your's is "2"). Makes the memory settings a lot more useful. I'm sure they can program a "1" as "2", but how confusing would that be...

Sounds like the only possible option boxes left on yours were the Diamond White paint and the engine block heater... Should be quite enjoyable!
  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,977
    Thanks for the suggestions. The fob I have is #2, so I'll need to buy #1.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• HenryHenry Member Posts: 1,106
    Okay, I just came from looking at an E320 for $17k. Its just not the aROARa. No steering wheel controls, no heated seats, no lumbar bladders in the seat, and no EGR error code.

For a car that is suppose to be a trade up from mine, I didn't see it. Now I did not drive the car so that may be the difference.

Right now, I am sticking with the Classic and making further mods.

Henri
    Well, the Aurora just went about 530 miles and returned an amazing 26.1 mpg. What makes it so amazing is that I was driving 75-85 mph as much as possible (total average speed was about 66 mph). Quite a feat for a large V8-powered car.

I really wonder how high it could go if I could just drive 60-65 mph... I bet I could approach 30 mpg. I'm quite sure I could best the 26.5 mpg personal best for me in a V8-powered car (a lighter, smaller, manual-trannied Corvette, and I was doing 60-65 in it as it was not on interstates). I just can't imagine cruising along at 65... We'll see... ;)

Henri, why would you want to step down to a V6? For $17K, you could buy a nice 2001+ 4.0 or a mint '99 with plenty of money left over.
  • aurora5000aurora5000 Member Posts: 168
    My avg/mpg on my DIC is not working right. I will build up to 17.X to 18.X thru the week, I then park. When I get in Monday morning, it displays 16.X. Car has not been moved since Friday. I also notice that on the "Fuel Used" function on DIC, there is usually a 2 gallon difference as to what the gas pump says when I fill up each Monday morning. I hand calculate mileage and find a 2-3 mpg difference when I filled up. Also thinking about tires, wanting a soft ride...Any thoughts?

Thanks,
    Steve
    aurora050@aol.com- did not receive your earlier email.
  • garnesgarnes Member Posts: 950
    In order to do that, you have to totally avoid WOT fun - don't you?

I can't do that.
    That's really odd. Maybe it's time for a visit to the dealer. So, is your real-world mileage not actually as bad as you thought? You'd mentioned before that you were only getting about 16 mpg, but maybe it was just DIC error?

My fuel-used thing is usually within a 2-3 tenths of a gallon of the actual fill-up, and I figure the fill-up doesn't always fill the tank to the same point, so it is reasonably close. I haven't hand estimated the mpg in a while, but the times I did with the Aurora it was usually within a tenth or two. I wonder if the DIC is acting up, or maybe one of the sensors that feeds it is? I'm not exactly sure where it comes up with the fuel-used numbers. I wonder if it makes any sort of assumptions about the fuel so that heavily oxygenated fuel would affect it? That still wouldn't explain why the mileage would change after stopping the car...

So, we're on vacation and I'm sitting around reading AutoWeek and "Feeling Your Pain" and relaxing. My wife is going to go shopping so naturally she has to take the 'Roara as it's the car we drove up here. She starts that thing up and drives slowly off after it does the 30-second high-idle thing. Holy crap does that car ever sound sweet!! I rarely get to hear the working end of it. But as sweet as it sounds from the driver's seat, it sounds even sweeter from behind the car... How I envy other drivers now... ;) I think when she gets home and the car is all warmed up, I'll have her punch the gas and rev it up while I stand behind it... :D
  • fjk57702fjk57702 Member Posts: 539
    My 98 Aurora always took more gas to fill than the computer said that it used, but I always figured that the difference was what went through the evaporative control system - usually somewhere around a half to a full gallon per tankfull.

I got 29 MPG on a round trip to California by driving 70 MPH or less. This was in the fall so I didn't need the A/C much. At times the DIC said that the average was over 30 MPG. And the range hit 999 going into Death Valley.
    Okay, I want to retire the Classic as my main car (NOT SELL IT). However, there is nothing else out there I want to drive. The problem is that I drive the classic to the car dealer, and dam it, no other car looks good parked next to it.

Henri
    Henry, since I'm new to the group, tell me about your Aurora. Color, miles, equipment,yr, general observations. Sorry if you've done this in the past.

On Sunday, I went to my parent's house to pick them up and give them a ride to my daughter's birthday party. She's 2. They have two Oldsmobiles, dad a 95 Cutlas Cierra SL with 58k, and mom a 98 Aurora with 54k. Dad came out first. The car was angled so you could see the driver's front and driver's side. I pointed to it and asked dad, what kind of car is it? I hadn't told them I bought another car. Truly perplexed, he started guessing. Toyota, Acura, Lexus? I pointed to the wheels with the Aurora emblem. Still no clue. I mentioned to him it was an Aurora. He was speechless. And then he beamed, and said" beautiful car, its a shame Olds is going away." Mom came out, and the scene played out almost word for word. Dad and I looked at her just shaking our heads and smiling. Finally, when I told her it was an Aurora, she said, "Wow, I see it now. I sure do love mine (her '98)." Again, no wonder Olds is going away, even loyal owners like my parents didn't recognize it. Happy Thanksgiving!

The unfortunate part is that they mistook the styling for a Toyota or Lexus... :( They make some of the most bland vehicles on the road. And now with the overly tall Camry/ES300 and Corolla, they are starting to become more ugly than bland... I hope that's not why they guessed your Aurora was one! I think it has a nice style and is very elegant and a bit subtle.

I'm surprised that seeing the front of the car wasn't a tip-off. The front is very Oldsmobile looking and quite bold.

So, how are you enjoying it thus far? Oh, and happy birthday to your daughter.
    At 2 years old will she even know what an Aurora is when she grows up?

I guess its up to us to preserve the "Legend" for the future genrations.

Aurora Yesterday, Aurora Today, Oldsmobile Forever!

HAPPY THANKSGIVING GROUP!
    I sent you mail again. My email is aurora402002@yahoo.com. Just email me if you aren't getting it. You may check to make sure you aren't blocking internet mail if you don't get the one I resent.

As far as tires, if you want a soft ride, maybe stick with the current MXV4+'s. I think they ride pretty well. They are quiet and wear well also. I'm not really sure what to suggest for more comfort. Maybe something that doesn't meet the H speed-rating. What tires are you considering?
  • kayaman420kayaman420 Member Posts: 207
    When I went to the MXV4 from the original goodyear eagle GA I noticed a huge difference in hardness. With the Goodyears the car was very caddie like , very soft. But the MXV4's were very hard. The difference was night and day. Although the MXV4's are lightyears better in performace I will go back to the Goodyears because I like the soft ride better. Im not a speed demon anyway.
    I guess I am keeping the Classis for now since I won the wheels. I had bid on these wheels at ebay on a lark. Thinking of course that I would never get them this cheap. W-R-O-N-G !

Now that I have the 17" I might as well keep the 95 Classic. Besides, for a less than the cost of a "new to me" car I cand fix the one I personally put 80K of the 90K on the car. So ta ta for now on the 740iL and black 99.
  • blk97aurorablk97aurora Member Posts: 573
    Henry,

Congratulations on the wheels. I wondered if one of our board members might win that eBay auction. For anyone else interested in 01+ 17" wheels, there's another set on eBay now at $300; auction ends Saturday.
    Two things, don't loose the key and remote. Mine only came with one and one valet key. $71 for key blank, $53 for remote, $35 to program. Ouch...might have to share keys with the wife! A/C not working after 4 days. Will have to go to dealer to repair. Hopefully, they'll do what's right. Love the car.

• stickking1stickking1 Member Posts: 247
    Great deal on the wheels! I'm always looking at the Auroras that go by, just in case they have a CORSA exhaust...now I'll have to be looking for another with the 2001+ wheels....you know, just in case one of you guys goes cruising through my neighborhood.

-Brian
    Save your time looking for the Corsa exhaust from an Aurora. I'll bet the number of Aurora's out there with the Corsa is less than 10 (including the 2000 Indy pace car). As far as the classic, it might be only be a half dozen at most - maybe just 3 or 4 cars really - and I'm keeping mine for now.

Try looking around STS stuff. It's really made for the STS and must be modified for the Aurora.
    Is vibration at speeds higher than 60 mph a common problem? When I bought the car, I thought the tires just needed to be rebalanced. The tires are practically new, with the rears still showing zero wear. Unfortunately, they're not the Michelins that came with the car, but Goodyear Eagle LS. Not my choice, but since they came on the car, I won't be replacing them anytime soon. I just had the tires balanced, and there is no improvement in ride over 60 mph. Eagle LS were the same kind of tire that came on my Intrigue, and they always rode smoothly. But with the Aurora I am experiencing a constant, minor vibration anytime I drive at highway speeds. For such nice car, the vibration takes away from its otherwise great highway manners.

Steve,

Auroras are prone to the kind of vibration you describe. There is a Hunter tire/wheel balance machine that can do a "road force balance" that some have found to cure the problem. The machines are expensive and relatively rare. Do you know if your tires are mounted with the dot next to the valve hole in the wheels? Should be.

I got new tires on my Classic in August and have had no vibration problems; road force balance was not done nor needed. The tires are W rated (168 mph); I did not buy them for that speed rating (my car has the ~110 mph speed governor). I have come to the conclusion that tires designed to run at high speeds (like Z, W, and Y ratings) must inherently have better balance capabilities than tires with lower speed ratings (H, V, etc.).
    Yes, do a road force balance. This has helped a lot of us here. Basically it makes sure the high spot on the tire and wheel don't wind up near each other or in the same location. This can cause an upward "force" at each revolution.

The Discount Tire shop near me has the equipment. They charge $15 per wheel/tire. But here is the key - have them do it and make them break each wheel down an put it to the optimum location. I think 15 or 16 lbs. of up-force is "passing" for passenger vehicles. So they may spin it and it comes up 14 or 15 and they just put it back on and still charge you the $15 for that wheel. Stand there with them and make sure they maximize it. Tell them up front that's what you want. If it comes up 12 lbs and the machine indicates that that the best it can do for the rim and tire is 8 or 9 - make them break it down, spin the tire to the "best" location and re-test. If it's 8 and you can get to 4 - do it. The tech might say you're crazy because 8 is really good but just make them do it. It's neat how the equipment can tell you in advance what the outcome will be when you change the tire location to it's prescribed place.

If the tire or the wheel is "perfect" then there is no positioning that can be done to make it better. If you do this and later have a flat repaired, make sure you mark the tire position on the rim and make the repair shop line it up the same. Mark it. They'll always say they did it. They don't.

Here's a thought - I wonder if there is anything to be gained by staggering when the "high spot" is at the pavement? In other words, if both fronts were maximized to 8 lbs but both high spots hit the pavement at the same time, maybe that would create more of a vibration potential. Maybe a resonation could set up more easily. Perhaps this could work front to back as well. I guess if you do a RFB and you still notice something, you could always jack one wheel up and just remount it 90 or 180 degrees different (ok 72 or 144 I guess for a 5 bolt pattern - if I got that right) and see what happens. Just a thought.

Also - invest in a GOOD torque wrench. It's invaluable. even the places that say they use one push down on them so fast they don't exactly seem to stop at the "click". Also, Discount Tire doesn't torque the nut with the special lock. They just leave it semi-tight. When you get home, adjust them all to spec yourself which I think is 100 ft-lbs.

One last thing, use the the weights that go on the outside of the rim. They may not look as nice, but if you are having problems, they do the best job at balancing the tire and less weight is needed. I guess in theory it should not matter, but I think going on the outside lip of the rim is best.

Good luck.
    Greg: "I guess if you do a RFB and you still notice something, you could always jack one wheel up and just remount it 90 or 180 degrees different (ok 72 or 144 I guess for a 5 bolt pattern - if I got that right) and see what happens. Just a thought."

Or, you could just spin the wheel when it's jacked up... ;):D
  • hammen2hammen2 Member Posts: 1,284
    go to http://www.gsp9700.com to see more about the Hunter Road-Force Balance machine, as well as a zip code-based dealer finder.

Call around for pricing if there's more than one of these in your area. The Olds dealer near me charges $34.95/tire to do this, whereas the Tire Centers place charges $12.50/tire...

--Robert
    It was Discount Tire that did the tire balancing. I have had good luck with them in the past, so I will go back and ask to have the tires balanced by RFB. Thanks everyone.

Oh that's a Homer - DOH!

DOH! DOH!

Oh well, so what do you think about two high spots in unison vs. alternated? Makes me wonder.

I guess you could do a WOT spin of the front tires. That might change where one is relation to the other (high spot). Or do I understand what happens in a wheel spin incorrectly?
    Well, the relative position of the tires would change all the time, from traveling on curves, from the slightly different overall size of each, and as you said from one or the other occasionally breaking traction from bumps or rain or peeling out.

I don't think that two tires would stay in any one relative position very long. Also, the vibration usually build in one suspention component. Except for the anti-roll bar and being mounted to the same chasis, they move pretty independently. I doubt this is as much an issue as just getting a good road-force balance.

Speaking of tires, I sure wish we had room in the garage for two sets of wheels/tires. I really want to get snow tires for my car and the wife's. Surprisingly my Michelins seem to do better than her Goodyear Aquatread III's. I sort of thought they would do pretty well in snow too, but aren't great. Plus her tires are smaller, and her car has less weight to start and stop, so I'd think they would do better just based on that. They aren't new, but they aren't all that old. Maybe a year older than my car.

Dunlop's WinterSport M3 looks pretty sweet, though they cost a pretty penny...
    Took the car to have tires Road Force Balanced this morning. {I'm on vacation this week, and wife and daughter are visiting grandparents for 2 days, so I have free time :)} They found only one tire suspect, and RFB it, but rebalanced the others regular way, too. I am delighted to report, vibrations are no longer. Smooth, smooth,smooth. Took a 30 mile excursion on the interstate just for fun. I couldn't be happier. What a sweet car!

sda - good deal

rjs - Yeah, I guess they would be constantly changing relative to each other. That's a minor "doh".
  • mike98cmike98c Member Posts: 293
    I got Pirrelli snow tires from Sears for $99.00 a piece last year . I suppose it's time to dig them out from where they're stored ! I'm not in a big hurry because I have a Sable wagon that I picked up for $600.00 for the winter and to carry materials for my 1924 era house. Anyways the tires made the car seemingly unstoppable in the snow. The microcell tread compound had me looking at other drivers waggling down the road and spinning their tires pulling away from a stop while I motored serenely ahead.
    Hadn't seen your reply to my post until just now...

What I meant was that as an Aurora passes me, or I pass it, I always pay special attention. If I see a Black Classic with 2001 wheels and a CORSA exhaust, chances are there's only one guy in the country driving it...same goes for a certain Cherry Metallic 2002 with the CORSA. It's not likely that one of you guys would be driving through my neck of the woods, but you never know. :)
    LOL, I always keep an eye out too... When we went up to Cape Cod for the week of Thanksgiving, I was keeping an eye out in New Jersey for a 1995 Light Antelope Aurora with a stock exhaust parked on the side of the road or in a tunnel. :D

As far as your neck of the woods, no way! Move out from East Lansing to Ann Arbor, and then your talking! :D I was born in Ann Arbor in the U of M Women's Hospital (I guess they didn't know I'd be a boy...). The U of M is the alma mater of both my parents, so I grew up loving it (though I'm now a Terps fan at heart).

I'll actually keep that in mind though if I go up to Michigan again. My grandparents lived there, and my Mom grew up there so I have visited many times. I was up there for the 2003 NAIAS, but I don't think I'll make the 2004 (it was easier last year since I was unemployed... :o) My family keeps telling me I should apply for a job with GM, but I don't think I could handle the winters... I'd never be able to wash my car.
    Stickking - Oh. I sometimes get through the Chicago area. Otherwise I'm a Hoosier now. If you haven't done something already, I'd consider that Corsa.

RJS - light antelope with stock exhaust stuck in a tunnel - LOL. Note - stock exhaust............
    http://www.speedracer.la/

I'm not sure if it goes under water or can jump the railroad tracks. Look out for those saw blades coming out from the other cars too.....

It may even have the Corsa exhaust too.
    I didn't see a Corsa exhaust on the car.

And as for you other guys . . . .
           cute very cute ho ho ho
    LOL @ the Classic on the side of the road..very funny.

I think my parents will be moving down to Houston this coming summer. My dad has been working on contract down there for about a year now (flying down on Mondays and coming back on Fridays...ugh), and they love the place. So, as it stands, I'll probably be moving back into my parents house next year...never thought it would happen. I have an excuse though, they need someone to take care of the house and the 4 dogs. Plus, it'll be nice to live without rent until I'm done with law school. I think they are just fed up with the winters...I can't say I blame them.

I'm not so sure that I will follow them though. My brother's boss works for Saturn and has an open invitation for him to take an internship then a full-time job whenever he wants it. Jeremy is going to wait until he's done with school, but he wants to work for GM...so moving out of Michigan just doesn't seem to be in his future for a little while. Chances are he and I will stick pretty close to eachother.

Greg--Don't tempt me with the Corsa. I am really trying hard to use my tax return on "smart" things this year (like paying off some bills)...and you know how it goes. "Smart" usually doesn't mean "Fun". We'll see if my will power holds up.
    Brian... cut and paste this into your address bar (should work for IE): http://www.geocities.com/aurora402002/Aurora.wma

If that doesn't work (geocities is wierd) just go here and click on the audio-only link: http://www.geocities.com/aurora402002/clips.html

Forget bills... They'll still be around. But the Corsa may not. I doubt the STS system is a big seller, so who knows when they'll run out of them, and when they do, who knows if they'll make another batch... :D
    LOL...nice. I have both of your video files you had posted saved on my computer. Not mention a bunch of pics that Garnes sent me of the Corsa job on his Classic. You're a bad influence :-)
    Actually, when I ordered my STS system, they had none and had to make it. They have the system digitized (I think that's it) so they can produce one pretty easy when ordered and they don't carry an inventory. So, I think they may actually be available for some time as I can't see it costing them anything to keep this particular product available.

Perhaps I'm missing something though. However, I'd just do it. It is totally cool. Unfortunately, the best place to experience it is to be a bystander - not the driver. Oh does it sound good.
  • enyaenya Member Posts: 2
    Hoping I am in the right place. Sometimes when the weather is cold my 98 aurora won't start. I keep getting the message CLEAN KEY - WAIT 3 MINUTES. This happened 2 years ago a few times, and has just happened again. This time the problem won't resolve itself and I haven't been able to start it for 2 days. Any ideas, anyone?

thanks
    sounds like the pass-key reader, or your key, isn't working well. My Corvette wasn't as nice (didn't say "clean key", it just didn't start) and I simply got new keys made. The pellet starts to wear down over time. Hopefully that would be a cheap fix. If not, you probably need to replace the reader in the steering column.
    enya,

Do you have a spare key to try?
  • enyaenya Member Posts: 2
    No spare key, and when I use the remote start it still doesn't work. So I'm thinking it can't be the key?
  • cwiley1cwiley1 Member Posts: 82
    Have you had your battery checked? Sometimes with these 12 volt systems you have enough amps to turn the engine over but not enough left to go to the ignition to start it. Just a thought.
    http://www.oldsmobile.com/olds/collectors/aurora/photos.html

There is a video there now about the Final 500 Aurora. It's sort of neat.
  • mrdubyamrdubya Member Posts: 200
    i had a REALLY nice video of the oldsmobile cars that i got from the car show, the video's where so well put together i wanted all the oldsmobiles after watching them. to bad they're commercials sucked. wonder if i found it if there is anyone to put it online
    That is probably the 2003 Oldsmobile DVD Experience. Yes, a slick piece. Would have been good commercial material instead of the "people are still buying them" crap they put out. Never seen it online, but I'd bet most of us have the DVD. You could get it by requesting a catalog last year, or also from most auto shows.
  • mrdubyamrdubya Member Posts: 200
    wow i just noticed how many typo's i made in my last message, they're getting worse....oh well its the internet!

yeah, i do remember now that it said the oldsmobile experience or something like that. oldsmobile can only blame themselves for there end, but not there designers.
    Hmm, this is proving harder than I thought. I have gone to 3 delaerships advertising 99 Classics and they were all gone by time I got there or called them. The last guy told me that now when the Classics come in they are put to the side for customers that have already said they want one. This practice, along with the generally low number of Classics kind of explains why I cant find a nice one at a dealership.

Hold on to your Classics guys and you 2001 babies hold on to your v8's. I am not going to sell mine unless it is for a newer one. Hmm, I guess its time to start looking at the Corsa system again.