Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Oldsmobile Aurora

Comments

• HenryHenry Posts: 1,106
    Let me know how it turns out. I do not want to change my system until after the winter. Why put in a new system and then subject it to a New Jersey winter with all the salted roads to go with it??

Maybe they will be able to do me later in the Spring.
  • garnesgarnes Posts: 950
    Well They told me that after I'm gone, they will not likely be able to do another. It may be now or never unless they discover that the Caddy system is actually easy to convert. I asked the same and they said they get pretty busy in the spring with the regular production stuff. The system is 304 stainless steel too. It's not the same stainless as the stock system. 304 is great stuff. We specify it all the time at work for sewage pumping stations where there all sorts of corrosive gases like hydrogen sulfide that could attack it. I think the 304 pretty much will never care what the road throws at it. It should always look nice. The tips are 316 which is even better.
  • gisom-
    the wheel bearing is very easy to change, providing you have the right tools. i did the entire job in about an hour and a half. i am always working on someone's car on the side, so i've got quite a warehouse of automotive and shop tools. you need a very large socket(i can't remember the size off the top of my head) to remove the nut on the end of the CV shaft. that should be the only specialty tool you'll need.

as far as using a pressure washer to cure the problem,it's a very bad idea. i made the same mistake but only i used a mild degreaser and just garden hose pressure. after a short time, the bearing made alot of grinding noise from being doused with the water because the ball bearings had actually started to rust. you have to be very careful not to get water on the bearings and speed sensors!
    i think Autozone does carry the bearing,i picked mine up at NAPA for 160$ with a lifetime warranty.
    let me know what you decide to do.
    good luck.
  • rjs200240:

I bought all mine at 2 or 3 Pep Boys stores in central NJ. As I recall, regular price was $9 or $10; I think I bought 2 on sale for $8 each.

If you cannot find them, let me know what you need and I can buy one or more and ship them to you.
  • nne3jxcnne3jxc Posts: 134
    Anyone here replaced the shocks and springs on a classic? I'd really like to make mine handle a little better. KYB makes a set of shocks for the fronts (it looks like you can't replace the rears?) and Eibach makes a set of springs that lower the car about an inch.

It gets my goat that a friends 15 year old BMW 6 series with 180K miles on it out-handles my car.

Comments or experiences, anyone?
  • if you go to www.google.com and then go to images and type in oldsmobile aurora it will return hundreds of pictures
  • rjs200240rjs200240 Posts: 1,277
    If you saw a 2002 Aurora 4.0 with the license plate "49OF51" would you know what it means? The only problem is on VA's heritage plate (the only nice looking one, it has the state bird on it) you can only put 6 characters and one space. Therefore it is bunched up a bit and the "o" in "OF" looks like a zero. I could put "49 OF51" but that looks worse. They have an autumn plate with some leaves on it which allows two spaces, but it doesn't look as nice.

If you want to give me advice as to which plate looks best, go to:
    https://www.dmv.state.va.us/dmvnet/plate_purchase/select_plate.asp
    Keep in mind the car is "cherry" which is a darkish red color. The two plates I'm considering are "Other:Heritage - State Bird" and "Other:Scenic Autumn" The regular VA plate (cheaper) is "Other:Blue and White(standard)" but I think it looks like crap. It is too plain.

As long as it isn't too cryptic and Olds fans can figure it out, then I will probably get it. (If you live in VA, don't steal it from me!)

(If you don't know what it is, it refers to Oldsmobile's domination of the Indy Racing League with their Aurora engine. The Aurora engine won 49 of 51 races since it started in January 1997 until it's last race in October of this year.)
  • gisomgisom Posts: 144
    My 95 failed the emissions test. The CO (air/fuel) s/b 15 and read 22.5. The HC (unburn fuel) s/b .80 but read 1.13. Is this my O2 sensor and EGR VALVE?

Greg
  • garnesgarnes Posts: 950
    Since you have the 95, I think you are OK to just order a high flow converter from Flowmaster. It might even add a HP or 2. You seemed to be looking for a replacement converter. They have one for a 95 car.
  • fjk57702fjk57702 Posts: 539
    Could be O2 sensor, the computer should say. Also could be a bad converter.

rjs: Since I don't follow racing, the 49of51 didn't mean much to me. But I did sort of figure out the it must mean 49 out of 51.
  • When my 6-year-old battery died earlier this month, I had the impetus to find a source for ACDelco parts at prices lower than GM dealers charge. I found one not too far from where I live and work (central NJ). It's Neptune Auto Supply in Neptune City, NJ. They carry GM, ACDelco, Delco Electronics, plus much more. Their discount ranges from 10% to 40% depending on the product. The web site is www.neptuneauto.com. They ship anywhere. No sales tax charged outside of NJ.

I have no financial interest in this supplier. They saved me $$$ on my battery purchase plus hardware to install my newly acquired cd changer. Pat cleared my posting this information. I cannot give the phone number, but going through the web site is probably better anyway.
    RJ, IMHO your posting makes the You Know you Are obsessed with your Car List:

-- You know you are obsessed with your car when you color coordinate your license plate with your car and put a subliminal message about the car in the license plate itself.

Personally RJ, I am PROUD of you.
    I spoke with my mechanic today about your Corsa modification. I asked him if it were possible for me to order an exhaust system for my 95 based on the custom work they were going to do on your car. He informed me that it would not be possible for me to order an exhaust system for my car based on modifications done on your car if your car is not a 1995.

1995 was the last year before GM went to OBD2 with increased oxygen senors and someother modifications. While it is possible that the connection to the mufflers would be the same, the connection to the CAT would not be the same for all years. I believe you said your car was a 1998. Therefore, only other folks with a 1998 could order a system from Corsa based on the work done on your car.

This is also the reason why you said that I could get a Cat from Flowmaster for the 1995 that is not available for other years.

Henri

P.S. I dropped off my car at the shop today for
    repairs to the alternator and the power steering unit and whatever is causing the tranny problem that triggers the "Check engine light".

Jerry did tell me that certain transmission error codes will turn off the traction control system on the car.

There was a question a few postings back about the suspension. I believe tht 1997 has its own unique suspension for somethings. 1995 and 1996 are the same, as are 1998 and 1999. I hope this helps.
  • I was looking at erebuni website today and I noticed the aurora w/ ground effects looks different. http://www.spoilers.com/images/autos1/Aurora321f.jpg It could just be me but did they change it? I didnt like they way they looked but for some reason now I do. Anyways, how much do you think it would cost to get these painted and installed? A rough estimate will do.
  • I should of posted this in the club forum but I didnt find a spot that it fitted in and I think more people read this board.

Erebuni offers a club discount of 20%. If you were to buy the ground effects that would knock $157 off the total price of $786. (Assuming I did my math right and also assuming that the webprice they advertise now will not be discounted(they offer discounts off of web prices on certain items))

Now in order to recieve these discounts a letter from the club president with the club letterhead must be sent to Erebuni slong with a list of all the members of the club and their info along with some info about the car club.

Now my question is, does the Oldsmobile Aurora Owners Club here at edmunds classify as a club? If so who would be the one to send this letter? $629 isn't bad for a whole ground effect kit. What do you guys think?
  • Henry--My '95 had the check engine light come on and the code was the input speed control in the tranny!!!!!! They had to go into the tranny to replace it. It cost $1186.30 to fix it. Lucky I had the extended warranty. The part cost $26.61. It took them about 12 hours worth of labor to pull the trans. and replace the part. I can't see any difference on how it runs, but the check engine light doesn't come on. Hope this info. does some good. The mechanical work was done at the Olds dealer. I asked the mechanic that worked on it what it would cost to go ahead and overhaul the trans. He said approx. another $3000. Has anyone tried putting a "shift kit" in their trans.? I guess that is what they still call the kit when they take out the sliding easy shift these trans. have. I know the trans. will last longer when it shifts direct and fast. Any suggestions?
  • Do I really smell that bad?

Might be taking my Aurora down to Carlisle Compact Power Jam w/ the A.S.O.G. club. Looks like a helluva car show and lots of stuff going on. It's is May 3rd-5th. Anyone else going? I ASOG member is going to unviel his 400+hp Avenger. Can't wait. This will be the first trip longer than 4 hours I've ever put on my car. Any words of wisdom for the long haul?
  • rjs200240rjs200240 Posts: 1,277
    I know that the Aurora 4.0 engine was significantly changed from the 99 to 2001 model year. At the same time the Northstar was significantly changed too. The Northstar retains the same power ratings as before (as does the Aurora), but now can run on regular gas.

My question: Was this changed on the 4.0 also? My owners manual states that the use of regular fuel is fine. Was this the case on the first (95-99) Aurora V8?

Matrixfrog: At the minimal, make sure the fluids are all topped off, that the oil won't need to be changed before the end of the trip, and that the tires have the appropriate amount of air in them (and are in decent shape.) What is ASOG?
  • fjk57702fjk57702 Posts: 539
    The first generation Aurora recommends premium gas. The torque and horsepower numbers are the same but there are differences. On the premium fuel engine, the torque is 90% or more over the RPM range 1700 - 5600. On the reengineered aurora the range is 2300 - 5600. Below 2300 you have less than 90% of the peak torque. Car & Driver made this known or perhaps Motor Trend.