Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura TL vs Honda Accord

Comments

• laurasdadalaurasdada Posts: 2,731
    As a child of the '70s and a prolific creator of casette music, I resemble that remark! I was thrilled the TL offered casette...

TL is Bluetooth compatible.

Three great cars, three variations on a theme. You can't go wrong.

'13 Jaguar XF, '11 BMW 535xi, '02 Lexus RX300

• I miss the 8-tracks and 45s and reverb :cry:

The only thing wrong with my S2000 is the cupholders won't really hold anything.

Shifting,

MidCow
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    (About the Acura being behind the times...) For example, the TL has a cassete player.

My grandmother, for one, who has more money than i'll see in the next fifteen years, has tapes and CDs at a ratio of something like 25:1. She isn't a high-powered executive, she raised two kids on her one salary, and has kept saving and shopping at Sam's, being thrifty, even though her kids have kids, and haven't lived there in decades. She has a 2002 Accord LX and had a tape deck put in, but not keyless entry. (We tried to get her to buy an Acura or at least a top line Honda, but she (and I quote) "don't need all that extra stuff. It's just a car."

Not many people here feel that way about cars anymore.

Different people have different priorities; at least Acura gives ALL the options, with XM, 6-Disc CD/DVD Audio, Tape, etc; outside of MidCow's 8-tracks!
  • ontopontop Posts: 279
    I don't think there is any question the TL looks soooo much nicer than the Accord. The Accord is hurtin' in the styling department lately - needs an update now - the new tail isn't quite enough. Honda has moved Acura past the top end Accord enough to justify the higher price considering how much more the TL offers over the Accord. Especially at 7000 rpms where the TL roars!
  • haefrhaefr Posts: 600
    I would be ecstatic with an '06 Accord EX V6 and its ability to sip 20 cent-a-gallon cheaper unleaded 87 pump octane gasoline. Furthermore, I could just as easily be rewarded with a speeding citation in the Accord as the TL, too. Thankfully, Honda allows choice in making a decision between these cars. For those who look down their blue-blood noses at the pedestrian Honda entry, PHHhht! ;)
    Especially at 7000 rpms where the TL roars!

Where does the TL redline? I thought it was at 6800 rpm. This is where the V-6 Accord's lies.
  • goodegggoodegg Posts: 905
    For those who look down their blue-blood noses at the pedestrian Honda entry, PHHhht!

What does PHHhht mean? I too considered the EXV6 before going with a TL. I think Honda knows it must differentiate the cars enough not to cannibalize each other. But the TL styling is sweeter and the TL comes with go much more than a top-o-the-line Accord. More hp, torque, better warranty and roadside assistance, TPMS, better tires, memory settings, hands free link, power passenger seat, better audio and so on. I felt the extra $ was worth it. The premium gas costs me $20 a month more. Don't get the blueblood thing. A TL isn't a Benz or a Bentley.

The Sports 4 concept Accord looks great but may be too wild for the vanilla buyer. Accord needs some help. Their sales numbers are way off. All the others in their class (except the Altima) have done a major redesign so Honda's competing now with a an early 2000 designed car vs those of a later design. C'mon Honda.
    The Sports 4 concept Accord looks great but may be too wild for the vanilla buyer. Accord needs some help. Their sales numbers are way off. All the others in their class (except the Altima) have done a major redesign so Honda's competing now with a an early 2000 designed car vs those of a later design. C'mon Honda.

I wouldn't worry too much about Honda's numbers until they start having big rebate incentives like the Camry had through a surprising length of its life. Sales numbers aren't off; actually, if you take away the Camry's fleet sales (14 total percent of all Camry sales) then the Accord is the bestselling car in America. Honda may be playing with a 4-year old design, but if memory serves me, the 2002 Accord came in second place to the new for 02 Altima, beating the brand new Camry, and Taurus and Impala in A Motor Trend Comparo years ago. I think this one will stand up tall, even if aging gracefully.
  • hpowdershpowders Posts: 4,269
    I agree. I have a gazillion cassettes which are fast becoming obsolete.
    I think a cassette player in the TL is a plus.
    At least I can play some of them in the car.
    Some of my best music is locked up on those cassettes.
  • hpowdershpowders Posts: 4,269
    I believe "PHHhht" is the noise that comes from a snake as it spits venom in your direction.
    Plenty of snakes in Tampa.
    When it happens, it sort of looks like this.... :P
  • It will be getting a model refresh next year. The redesign is due in 2009.

I would still buy the TL over the Accord. I could have, now I have some regret.

I am still very happy with my Accord

I thought the 07 TL will be the refresh and the redesign will come out in 2008 with the 09 TL (about 1 year after the 8th-gen Accord's intro). I also read on another forum that the 07 TL may be introduced at the NY Auto Show in April. Of course, I'll believe it when I see it at the show.
  • I'm coming from an older Accord w/ manual seats and need help choosing between the 06 Acura TL 6MT Navi and the new 06 Accord Sedan 6MT Navi that has electric seats (but no memory function).

I will be sharing this car w/ my wife a couple times a week and if there is no memory function in the Accord, is this going to drive us completely insane or take up valuable time and frustration in trying to get the seat set properly each time? The seats have 8 way adjustment and I can't imagine having to adjust this all the time.

When driving an MT, the seat adjustment for proper clutch takeup is really important, and on our other car, there was only two adjustments (Seat travel and seat back angle). Is it really not that big a deal for those of you that have the V6 EX Accords or it a pain in the neck?

I can't believe it has all come down to this in choosing between the cars, but this is a real issue right now.....PLEASE HELP!
    Not a necessity, but ceratinly a great luxury. My wife adjusts my TL's seat totally different than me. If not for the memory function I'm not sure I could readjust the seat to where I've had it to my liking. The memory feature also adjusts the mirrors and the HVAC.
  • taxesquiretaxesquire Posts: 681
    I guess you could try going to inside the dealership, go to 2 separate TLs, adjust the seats and mirrors, and then swap to see how different you prefer the seats?
  • midnightcowboymidnightcowboy Posts: 1,978
    I have a 2005 6-speed Accord Coupe that my wife drives occasionally. Adjusting the seat back is no big deal.

Either car with a 6-speed is a great choice!

Double sixes,

MidCow
  • bplayerbplayer Posts: 56
    If the adjustments between the both of you is minor then changing it when you enter is not a problem. However, anything greater will also affect the position of the side mirrors, and the setting on the TL is very important as poor alignment will seriously affect your rear visibility.

This feature alone is a tie breaker when the car is shared.
  • billyperks1billyperks1 Posts: 151
    I second that.
    My wife and I share three cars Camry, Accord and a TL.

Guess which one is a breeze to adjust back the seat positions? THE ACURA-those memory seats are a plus when cars are been shared.

The worst is the Camry, its seats are manual-what a pain.
    Okay Okay!

We share four cars:

Avalon with memory (her car).- easy to adjust wait for motors to whirl, no miror memeory.

IS300(son's car) adjust seat back-forth mirrors - Minor pain

Accord ( my road car)- wife drives occassionally - seat back forth minor

S2000 - (my sport car) -manual lever slide back easy adjust most fun to drive

Cheer,
    MidCow

The ideal solution is to get your own car and not share :)
    "The ideal solution is to get your own car and not share "

True True- but when you have a one car garage, you tend to drive the car that is easliy accessible.
  • bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    Well then, the obviously solution is to get a house with a 2-car garage! ;) :P (Unless you meant the car parked outside is the one easily accessible!)
    Okay I just picked up two pecan trees, put them inside my Accord Coupe and brought them home.

Let's see you do that in a TL :P

Double sixes :shades: ,

MidCow
    That's what I meant-usually my wife and I tend to drive any car that is in the driveway (especially on the weekends.)

The scenario is- one is parked in the garage, the other angled in the driveway and the third is facing the street in the driveway.

PS- I am working on that two to three garage house.
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Posts: 2,731
    That's easy: Skip the trees and just buy some pecans! :shades:

'13 Jaguar XF, '11 BMW 535xi, '02 Lexus RX300

• taxesquiretaxesquire Posts: 681
    More structural rigidity - no fold down seats in the TL :P
    Open up the moon roof.
  • Sorry for the late response....was out of internet range for a bit....

I appreciate all the thoughtful and insightful comments from all of you on the seat issue and it mirrors my sentiments.

Regarding regularly scheduled maintenance, has anyone racked up enough miles yet to comment on major service prices for 30K and timing belt for the 03-06 Accord vs 04-06 TL? I drive about 33K miles/year and this will also play into the equation in making a decision.

I heard scare stories of $400 for the timing belt/waterpump replacement for the Accord vs about $800 for the TL....are you all finding out that prices for Acura service to be about twice that of owning an Accord?
  • bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    "the other angled in the driveway and the third is facing the street in the driveway."

Why is it angled? So you can fit the 3rd one in the driveway?
  • There's a long list of features/benefits the TL has over the Accord. If not folks would just buy the loaded Accord. I bought the 06TL. Couldn't see paying $27K for an Accord. The extra $4K was worth it in my book.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,695
    For $4k difference, you aren't comparing the correct vehicles.

An Accord with Nav can be bought for $27k, while a TL with Nav can be bought for $33k. That's $6k difference.

Take Nav away from both and the price drops about $2k on both. Still $6k difference.

I'm not criticizing your decision. I think either car is a great choice. Just pointing out what I believe is an error.

'13 Stang GT; '15 Fit; '98 Volvo S70; '14 Town&Country

Yes, Accords can be had for $1,500-$2,500 off of sticker. The EX-V6 lists for $27,300, but many are getting them for less than $26,000.