Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura TL vs Honda Accord

Comments

• Thanks for the heads up, Kennyg8. I wish I could find an 04 TL in CT that was 26k, but unfortunately all of the dealers have said that since demand is so high for the body style the price won't come down until '08. Looks like I am getting an '06 Accord, unless someone can find your mythical 26K '04 tl for me. :cry:
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Posts: 2,487
    Hi, CT:

I just did a search on Autotrader.com for used '04 TL within 100 miles of zip code 06880 (Westport, home of my late, lamented youth) and came up with 115 matches. Asking prices in the following range:

$27,999 Highest price
    $20,000 Lowest price
    $26,194 Average price

So, they're out there...

Good luck.

'13 Jaguar XF, '11 BMW 535xi, '02 Lexus RX300

• louisnlouisn Posts: 110
    I'd rather have a NEW EX V-6 Accord than a 3 year old TL for the same money. The new car warranty especially the 5 year 60,000 mile powertrain warranty can't be overlooked unless you just have to have blue tooth. BTW, the 6 speed Accord is VERY fast and 4000 under MSRP is very possible.
  • I'm new to this forum as I am now looking for a used TL or Honda Accord. Can someone explain to me the oversteering issue with the Acura that is noted here? What does it feel like?
  • bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    Oversteering? I don't recall reading about that being an issue with the TL. Now if you meant torque-steer.... :cry:
  • I may have meant torque steer. What is this? It sounds like the car may pull a certain way when driving at high speeds? I test drove one tonight and noticed a bit of something in the steering.
    What you noticed was a tug of the steering to one side when accelerating hard. That's torque steer. And yes, if you don't hang on tight, you will end up in the next lane!

BTW, the concensus is that the TL doesn't need more power because that would only accentuate the torque steer. But then I remember, my first car, a 1975 Civic, with 52 HP, also had torque steer. So I'm now thinking, if you're going to get torque steer regardless of power, then may as well take the power and have some fun along the way! :P
    And note, ALL powerful FWD cars (yes, even the Impala SS!) will display more noticeable torque steer when the accelerator is nailed...

So, if this is your first FWD, you may want to take it to a wide open parking lot and play a bit to get to know the characteristics.

• The torque steer is such a minimal issue. You only feel it when you're 'steer'ing and accelerating hard. Still not a big deal IMO. Would I rather have the IS350 for $10K more and no torque steer? No.
    "The torque steer is such a minimal issue..."

Agreed. That is why I had no problem buying my TL over RWD competitors. Best balance of features/attributes/value for me. And it's a handsome beast, of course!

But, YMMV.

• That is whole 'nother discussion the IS350 versus either TL or Accord

YMMV,

MidCow
  • I used to think the same thing. Have 6-speed 2005 Accord Coupe and a 6-speed 2006 S2000 with skid control.

The Accord handles good, not great, and does okay in inclement weather rain, flash-flooding, water pockets ( no sleet or snow) here. I don't think the TL would handle any better. The 6-speed Accord has almost the same performance that my 98 M3 had, but uses regular gas and gets great mileage. The TL is slightly more luxrious and gets worse mileage on premium at about the same perfromance and a lot lower insurance premium; Accord is a sleeper.

Okay, now enter RWD S2000 with skid control. Can go much,much faster safely in good or inclement weather. The RWD is significantly better with skid control. To be fair the TL should be compared to a RWD G35 Coupe or G35 sedan. Same price and RWD versus FWD. But then again that is for another discussion thread .....

YMMV,

MidCow
    Hi, MidCow:
    "I used to think the same thing. ..."

I'm not sure what you were referring to (maybe I should have read back a few posts...), but:

I am a lifelong skier, many trips to the beautfiul Green Mountains of Vermont (my fave), White Mountains of New Hampster and a couple of areas in Maine. Long and short of it is that my FWDs (e.g. VW Scirocco, Mitsu Mirage Turbo, Acura Integra, Saab 900, Chrysler 300M and current poor-snow-tired TL, pre and post electronic traction assists. And never had snow tires)always got me there safely and ontime-ish (and in my invincible/daring/stupid youth, I drove through some hellacious Northeast snow storms to get there. Because, SNOW IS GOOD!!! I saw many a rwd that could not make it up the same hilly roads (my buds Nissan 240sx and one poor soul that tried it in a Lincoln Mk 8...!)that I had little trouble with using all-season tires.

I seldom drive 9 or 10/10ths which is where most seem to state that RWD flexes its hadling advantage muscles. And good for them! So, when I evaluate a car for myself, fwd is a plus in that, for example, the TL handles very well for my driving style and I don't (in theory, and I know I should anyway...)have to have a second set of tires/rims. In my experience FWD trumps RWD in the White Gold. If I decided on a 3 or G RWD, I probably would go the true snow tire route and be just as happy with my choice of ride.

My guess is that your RWD S2000 (cool car!) would not fare well leading/following me into the Green Mountains during a decent snow storm. But, of course, that is not the S2000 raison d'etre and I wouldn't expect it to be a sled dog.

And as far as the Accord vs. TL:

Both fine cars. But I wanted the TL.

• exb0exb0 Posts: 539
    I’ll sell you my 04 with only 21K on the clock for $26 any day. Just tried to trade it in for an Accord; the Honda dealer offered me only $21.5 for it, and wouldn’t move. I told him that the wholesale book (the Black Book) on it is $25; he said that the new ones are selling at invoice and that’s why $21.5 is all the money. I guess I’ll have to keep the TL.
  • Hey laurasdada,

I agree with you about RWD in snow, FWD is much, much better.

Sorry, I forgot about snow and ice since I moved to Houston.

Enjoy you TL, sounds like a great choice for you.

Cheers,

MidCow
    My dealer offered me, a couple of months ago, the equivalent of approx $27.5 USD (I'm in Canada) for my '04 w/Nav. I wanted another $1500 so we didn't do the deal. At that time I was thinking of trading down to a new Civic. Dealer said if I was trading up they could've given me an extra $1K or so for the TL.
  • jimmy81jimmy81 Posts: 170
    I don't think the TL would handle any better

Of course the TL handles better. LoPros, wider stance, more HP. And .......HELLO.....check the TL MPG posts. Most people get 32+ mpg highway. That's better than an Accord EX.
  • jimmy81 said:
    "Of course the TL handles better. LoPros, wider stance, more HP. And .......HELLO.....check the TL MPG posts. Most people get 32+ mpg highway. That's better than an Accord EX. "

I respectfully disagree from actual experience and from vehicle specifications.

Have a 6-speed with K&N air filter, Borla exhaust, stock 17 inch low profile tires.

Posts can say anything you want.

But facts Accord 6-speed: 215/50 R 17
    244 Hp
    3303 lbs (6 spd w NAV)
    13.536 lbs/hp
    21/30 rated EPA

Tl 6-speed : 235/45 R17
    258 Hp
    3499 lbs ( 6spd w NAV)
    13.562 lbs /hp
    20/29 rate EPA

Okay the tires are about equal the TL a little better
    The power to weight ratio is about the same Accord a little better. The Accord EPA is better and most Hondas and Acuras meet or beat the EPA.

So look at the facts. The TL does not beat the Accord they are pretty much equal.

YOMV,

MidCow
  • ezshift5ezshift5 Posts: 852
    And .......HELLO.....check the TL MPG posts. Most people get 32+ mpg highway. That's better than an Accord EX.

.....that's not better than my AV6 6M. Not by a long shot.

..ez..
  • I have actually found a '04 TL, w/Nav, 30k mi., Silver/Quartz for $26,400. This happens to be about only $1000 or so dollars over a EX-V6 w/leather (or equal if you add Nav). I would pull the trigger except the TL has some dashboard wear issues. I am going to Liberty Honda today to check out the Accord and end this debate!

:shades: