Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2005 and Earlier Chevrolet Impala

Comments

• patpat Posts: 10,421
    ... administrative interruption.

Sometime in the next week or two, the name of this discussion will be changed dropping the "XI" designation.

Now that we have moved to our new platform, we no longer have a requirement to stop and restart discussions after a certain number of posts have occurred. Therefore, this discussion can be regarded as the permanent home for Impala conversation. The "part number" designations on all of our discussions will probably eventually confuse new members, so we will be gradually dropping them from the titles.

We'll also be altering original discussions in the Archives to differentiate between the first and the current.

I just wanted to give you a heads up - and by the way, if you are subscribed to this discussion, a name change will not affect your subscription.

Thanks.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans and Women's Auto Center Message Boards
  • platourplatour Posts: 252
    The Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) are using them. There are quite a few in Canada's Capital (Ottawa). Today I parked beside an Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) version. That is our equivalent of State Troopers. Not at a donut shop, but the Bank, BTW. Pretty mean looking car, I must say. Had that push-bar up front and and the small hup-cap wheels. Seemed to have a bench seat but it was difficult to say at a quick glance with all that computer equipment installed where the console would be. I suspect it was a Base car with the 3.8L and the Police goodies. Single exhaust but the tires were somehow different. And I do not know why. I had just a brief chat with the Officer as he exited the bank. His only comments were that it is very comfortable as his "office, it handles and brakes exceptionally and it hauls %^$^ when pushed. I think he was pleased with his ride.
  • night_owl1night_owl1 Posts: 760
    Thank you for the head's up on the change. It really bothered me that things would change here, sometimes dramatic changes, and we wouldn't get any warning.
    Jacob, you are actually going? I went last year and I was really dissapointed. Only the state of Hawaii would build a convention center with no parking. The "million dollar car display" was 4 cars. A million doesn't go very far when you include a top of the line Lamborghini and Ferrari. It was a lot better when it was at the Blasdell
    We've hit the 2K mark on the Impala How-To page. To celebrate, I've been working on a new page with a list of TSBs and some new news and tips.

http://home.hawaii.rr.com/impala/

These are addressed in TSBs. See the TSB and News page for the specific TSB numbers.
  • duraflexduraflex Posts: 358
    Someone wrote that their tires do not get rotated according to the pattern in the owner's manual.

What I have done to avoid this is mark each of the 4 tires with a white crayon ie: "TO LF".

Then I check what went where.
    This gives the guys a clue how I want it done. Approached with the right attitude, they haven't seemed to mind.
  • bdimebdime Posts: 130
    Drove my Impala in some 50 mph winds + gusts today. Have to say it held the road pretty well and I was able to keep up with the idiots driving 70mph but I refused to do over 72 (let them be crash dummies!). The wind was really bad on the open road stretches and on the bridges but I felt secure and not as much movement as the old SUV. Average of 22 mpg but you would expect that. The real fun was watching my sons college team play Rugby in that wind- the ball literally got hang time! (They won by the way) Hope the weather is better wherever my fellow Impala owners are.
    It is indeed unfortunate that things came to that conclusion. Mais, c'est la vie. I am sure you will be very happy with your new Buick Regal and I wish you well with it. It is a fine auto although I do not know what an AARP is. What never ceases to imaze me is how so many people get satisfaction from a particular automobile brand/model but the majority just drive on and on without problems. I guess it is just the luck of the draw. But that cannot comprehend why GM cannot diagnose and remedy its own problems on a particular unit before going to the extent of buying it back. That one gives me problems! Why not just pull the engine and replace? That is cheaper than buying back the car.
  • Platour

AARP is an organization that deals with older persons. They sell auto insurance and many different things at a reduced rate. When someone calls a car an AARP car, they really mean that the car is for old people.

GM could have replaced the engine, but the engine was not the problem. It was some component other than the engine, so replacing only the engine would mean that the problem would remain.

Ron
  • mediumfrymediumfry Posts: 239
    Before now I had never heard of buy-backs without colossal hassles. I don't know for sure why GM decided to do this so willingly, but I give them credit for doing so, for these reasons:

1. It allows the customer to think that GM cares about them personally. Those people seem to be going back and buying other GM models. This is a success for GM if that happens after a potential nightmare. That might make it worth the cost in the long run.

2. It keeps them out of lawsuits which can be very expensive and painful to both parties involved, while the lawyers rake in the dough.

3. The way most service departments are, it is highly unlikely they can be generally trusted to replace an engine without creating as many or more problems than they fixed. Thus the nightmare continues. One person somewhere in Edmunds boards said "Factories don't make very many lemons, service departments do". I agree.

4. They can use the car they buy back to study problems and learn.

Maybe GM is not that smart...maybe these aren't reasons they decided to buy back cars. If not, though, at least they're lucky. Meanwhile, my car is nearly perfect and I am really proud of them.

BTW: AARP stands for American Association of Retired Persons. Just FYI. So much for T&FLA's.
  • stnelstnel Posts: 338
    teo - I have a brochure for the Mercury Sable and it has the Duratec as all-aluminum. Just as iusecad says. It doesn't give any info on the Vulcan. I imagine if the block and cylinder head were both iron, it would say so in the brochure. I'll have to see.

bdime - I guess they don't name Chicago the windy city for nothing. Glad your son won his Rugby game.

On AARP - I believe you have to be 55 to join. Once one spouse joins at 55, the other spouse can join at 50. I talked to my neighbors a few days ago and they told me this. I always thought it was 50 all the way around. In one of the car ads I saw in newspaper, they were giving a $500 discount for AARP members.
  • iusecadiusecad Posts: 287
    what I could find is on '99 engines, but they're still built the same...

1999 Engine Guide

I hope this helps! :)
  • duraflexduraflex Posts: 358
    The American Association for "Retired" Persons is really a misnomer.

I know for a fact that the age to join AARP is 50. Cost is just $10/year.

When you approach your 50th birthday, AARP will automatically send you an application to join.

Why is AARP a misnomer? As the age of "retirement" has been pushed higher than 65, the age to join AARP has dropped over the years. That's right, starting a few years ago, many of the baby boom generation born between 1946-1964 canNOT collect full Social Security retirement benefits at 65. The later you were born, the longer you have to work before retirement - as far as the feds are concerned.

Why did AARP lower the age to join? To increase their membership base.

And for those who look disdainfully at growing older and being eligible to join AARP, consider the alternative.

Some recent well known people to join the list of potential AARPers include Kirstie Alley, Jane Seymour, Rush Limbaugh and Phil Collins. The big "Five-Oh" comes sooner than you think.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    "The big "Five-Oh" comes sooner than you think."

Indeed it does. And it sure beats the alternative. ;->

Pat
    Host
    Sedans and Women's Auto Center Message Boards
  • norbnancynorbnancy Posts: 118
    Good idea, Duraflex on marking tires before rotation. Keeps pattern consistent. I do my own rotation so that I also get the correct wheel lug torque and correct tightening pattern. This reduces the likelihood of warped rotors. Enjoy the ride.
  • stnelstnel Posts: 338
    iusecad - the web page you gave me had the exact information I was looking for. Thank you!

duraflex - Thanks for the information on AARP. I'm glad to hear that the age is 50. That'll be 5 years sooner that I can join!
    Thanks for the lead on AARP. It does not operate in Canada but the web site has some very interesting information.
  • watusiwatusi Posts: 17
    yesturday i was driving up I287 in new jersey a large pickup truck in front of me lost a couple of those large orange barrels that they use for highway construction, thanks to the supurb braking power and fantastic handling i was able to dodge all three of them doing close to 70 mph. the lady behind me driving a 97-99 taurus had to swerve off onto the shoulder as she couldnt brake fast enough...me and my impala kept on going and didnt miss a beat....i love this car more and more every day
    The snow is not gone yet but the roads are bare. Had a nice drive today at highway speeds. The Impala is a joy to drive. Tracks very nicely at speed with no movement in the steering wheel. Brakes are VERY solid and strong. Did a few tests on a deserted road from about 50mph down. Cruise control is +/- 2mph. Bucket seats are very comfortable after finding my ideal position on the driver's power seat. Gave the baby brother 3.4L engine a shot at 100kph (60mph) and it moved up to 140kph (~88mph) very quickly. You people with the 3.8L have overkill>g>. Do not do that very often but.....Five minutes later caught a nice Impala wave from a Provincial Police Officer going in the opposite direction. Glad he did not pick me up moments earlier. Nice day in a nice car. BTW, calcium chloride (salt) came off the carpets with dish detergent and some gentle rubbing. Now ready for spring. Bring it on. Need the heat to do a polish job. I love it when a weekend comes together (borrowed from the A Team).