Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005 and Earlier Chevrolet Impala

Comments

• chevybluechevyblue Member Posts: 7
    Hi !
    My name is Steven, new owner of a 2002 Impala LS.
    I've been a Chevy man for quite some time, in fact it's number five.

I have a problem with the stereo.
    The bass is set too high, even if you set it, it comes back to the original setting when you change channels. How can I adjust the Bass and set it permanently ?

Other problem is with the lights in the dash and on the radio display. The intensity varies sometimes. When driving, I can see the display of the radio shinning bright and sometimes it fades.
    When it does, I hear a click. When it comes back on, I also hear a click.

My front lenses are fogged-up too. What's up with that ?

I can also feel the engine a little in the steering wheel.Not always and just a bit. When it has these symptoms, the RPM varies a bit, I can see the needle moving a little. Very slightly.

Lastly, the tires. They are Eagle GA I think.
    It seems to me I can hear some noise coming from the tires, kind of metalic.

Now, don't get me wrong, I LOVE this car, i just have a few concerns.

Thanks for your help.
  • bh0001bh0001 Member Posts: 340
    Hi Steven, and welcome! I have a 2001 Navy LS. I'll provide my comments on some things, and leave the rest for others on the board.

Stereo: Each station pre-set can have its own tone setting. If you change the treble/bass after tuning a station, you need to reset the pre-set (did that make sense?) to keep the tone settings. This is covered in the manual.

Dash Light Intensity: This is normal, so is the click. When the car senses that it's getting dark, it automatically turns on the full headlight system and dims the dash lights. When the car senses it's getting light, it turns off the full headlight system (returns to DRL mode) and the dash lights return to full brightness. This is also covered in the manual.

Fogged lenses: Don't know about this one.

Engine feel: I have the same thing, but I never thought of it as a problem. Just a bit of rough idle.

Tires: Yes, they are noisy.

I strongly recommend you sit in the sun in your backyard this evening, sipping a cold one, and reading your manual from cover to cover. It is full of great information on your new baby.

Have fun!
    Brad
  • Buy new tires. Sell the Goodyears on eBay to help recoup your expense.
  • dgonzalez13dgonzalez13 Member Posts: 110
    The tires on the base Impala are quieter but you give up a little in the handling department. Uniroyal Tigerpaws. I had the Tigerpaws till 2 months ago, when i picked up the Goodyear Eagle HP's, which are noiser as well. If the noise really bugs you, go to a pro tire dealer and ask them about it, they might be able to recommend something with similar performance but quieter.
    The fogged lenses happen when the small venting holes are obstructed within the lense. Look to www.impalahq.com for great info on everything there is about your car. He saved me about 2 days of experimenting by printing out one of the How-To's he did.
  • dgonzalez13dgonzalez13 Member Posts: 110
    To get the same performance but less noise, expect to pay for it. I was pricing Goodyear Eagle RS tires, which rate in the 5 star category for most applications including low noise, and they seem to go for about $200-$220 each. Thats why I ended up with the Goodyear Eagle HP's for $120 each.
  • I got Yokohama AVS dB's for about $95 each. Quiet, high performance tires. I don't know their snow rating, if any. I live in CA, so it din't apply to me.
  • hvan3hvan3 Member Posts: 630
    Nathan:
    I like the look of the taillight modification in your website. Did you actually make it work? Or, were these animated photos? There was no "How To" instruction in your site.

I like the working stop lamps and working turn signals. I'm not too crazy about the sequential turn signals.
  • It's looking great. Lots of new additions to How-To and Accessories. Plus, new sections too!

I notice you've added a body part vendor link in Accessories. I'd like to recommend another body parts site. www.autopartsland.com. It cheaper and much easier to navigate than the auto body parts wholesale site you list.

I haven't purchased anything from them yet, but plan on buying a rear bumper cover for my LS, plus some parts for the smooshed front corner on my son's Civic. Incredible prices.
  • atbearatbear Member Posts: 322
    I had the same radio problem..... it was a faulty radio... I took it to the dealer, they put a new one in for me, and the problem was solved!! just get them to check it for you and explain VERY THOROUGHLY the problem...
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    GM just raised prices. Most cars went up $25, due to an increase in the destination fee. But, no doubt due to their popularity, the Impala and Monte Carlo are up by $125.

Popularity has its price.

Sigh.

Let's all watch for details on the upcoming Impala SS and post them here as we find them.
  • b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    I think the 2002s were already about $500-600 more than the 2001s.
  • drivinisfundrivinisfun Member Posts: 372
    The 2003 Impala SS is indeed a "Stop Gap" measure by GM until a suitable V8 RWD platform replacement becomes available sometime in 2005/2006.

The use of the L67 3800 Supercharged engine comes at no surprise. This is all existing "Bolt-on" hardware from the GM parts bin. Besides other W body cars such as the Buick Regal GS and Pontiac Grand Prix GTP already offer this powertrain combo.

Speaking of the Buick Regal GS, I expect its sales to suffer once the Impala SS is released next year. The Impala looks better and perhaps will be a more popular, cheaper alternative to its Buick cousin, not to mention better resale value than either Grand Prix or Regal models.

I still contend if GM insisted in making the new Impala FWD they should had offered the L67 engine as an option on the LS trim level. To be brutally honest, I think the "SS" badging is still inappropiate for a FWD V6 powered Impala. The L67 engine option is more suited to the current LS Sport trim level than to an actual SS model. A LS1 V8 is a very tempting offer, but in a FWD configuration there are concerns with Torque Steer and proper weight distribution. This is probably why GM shied away from the idea of a V8 powered FWD W body car.

There is a L67 engine capable of producing 280HP that will probably show up in the upcoming 2004 Pontiac Grand GTP sedan which derivates from the Grand Prix "G-Force" shown earlier this year at the NAIAS auto show.

Otherwise I really like the current Impala, solid, realible and competent family sedan.

However, whenever I see the Aussie Holdens, spcially the Commodore SS, I do nothing but dream of the day one of these babies become available at my nearest Chevy dealer.

Drivin'
    Yesterday, on my way home from work, the low tire pressure light came on. Pulled my car over to a safe spot to investigate the tires. They looked normal. I decided to take the car to the gas station to verify the tire pressure. The rear left tire had only 20psi. After putting air in all four tires, the darn low tire pressure light is still on. How does it turn off? Am I suppose to do something to the radio unit? Anyone knows?

Thanks
  • roderacerroderacer Member Posts: 311
    You can reset the Tire Pressure Monitor via the radio. The setting is called "Tire Mon", I believe. It is good to reset it after modifying the tire pressures.

20psi? I would think you could feel that before the monitor warned you, but maybe the fact that it was a rear tire helped it go un-noticed.

Hope that helps.
    Steve
  • I see GM is really getting cheap, and is sending out their cars without manuals now.
    If only your car came with one, you could take the 30 seconds to look up and perform the procedure.
    It does involve pushing a couple of buttons on the radio. I don't remember which ones. Luckily, my car came with a manual for when I need to do these sorts of things.
    RR
  • I wish I had a service dept like you got. They sound great.
    yeah, I guess I lucked out with them. they have it together from what I have seen so far. having a decent service department takes a bit of the sting out of visiting them. Now if I could only get them to make with the complimentary car washes after servicing, I'd be "COMPLETELY SATISFIED".... hear that GM?
  • yurakmyurakm Member Posts: 1,345
    GM came late with the supercharged engine for Impala.

My wife and I shopped for car in 2000. First we wanted to buy Impala LS. Test-drove Regal GS, like the acceleration, and bought it.

Let me disagree with you about prices: GM prices all W-body cars about the same. MSRP for Impala LS was and is a bit higher than for Buick LS, when loaded with comparable options. After dealer discounts and especially after rebates, Regal is substantially less expensive than Impala.

There was no rebates for Impala in 2000, but $1500, and later $2000 rebate for Regal. In October 2000, when we bought the car, GMAC provided 0.0% financing for 60 months, with $1000 down. I calculated - this was equivalent to about $3000 rebate at the loan rates prevailing these times. In other words, Regal GS cost practically the same as Impala LS with comparable equipment / options (leather, CD player, etc.).

I did not recheck, but if I remember it right, currently there is $1500 rebate for Impala, vs $2000 for Regal, plus extra $500 rebate to Buick dealer. With the rebate, dealers are selling Regals below invoice.

It is hard to argue, what car looks better. Matter of personal tastes. I like all these cars, but have impression that a lot of people would rather associates powerful engine with Pontiac GP styling, than with Impala. Very few expect good acceleration from Buick.

Impala definitely have bigger trunk and more rear legroom. Regal have more comfortable seats.

A lot depends on dealership. Our Chevrolet dealer is outstanding, while the Buick is very bad. We lived most of our life in USSR, and are accustomed to very bad service. However, the Buick managed to surprise us in this respect...
    a. The low tire pressure monitor can also be turned off on my 2000 by rapidly turning the headlights on and off three times.

b. The Buick Regal, with all due respect, has a much looser suspension than does the Impala LS. I drove both. No way could I accept the Regal. I also traded into the Impala LS from a Grand Prix GTP. Best feature of the Impala vs. the Grand Prix is the essentially invisibility to cops compared to the GTP, which drew all kinds of unnecessary attention.

C. I sure HOPE the RWD is coming. I would prefer it. I recently drove a Crown Vic with the handling package, a 2003 model. My only reaction: What the heck was I thinking? LUmbered like a boat, hard to control, didn't seem to have as much power as the Impala LS, V8 or no V8. And it was MUCH noisier than the Impala. Go figure.

d. The only other car currently being considered besides another Impala is a Mazda 6. Will have to drive it when it comes out and then decide.
    If a fully loaded Sport cost 28K, will a loaded SS be 32K?
    I certainly hope not, because I won't be buying one.
    The new Marauder is 35K and only does 0-60 in 7-7.5 seconds.
    Regal LS have a very soft suspension standard, and the same high-profile tires as Century. However, the "Grand Touring" suspension, optional on Regal LS and standard on GS is not so soft.

I test-drove the both base Impala, and LS. My GS does not lean noticeable more than Impala LS on turns, and less than base Impala. However, the Regal suspension is connected to body through a rubber bushing. The bushings and deap "pillow" seats cushions small road bumps and potholes.
    The Gran Touring is what I drove. Well, if you like it, that is all that counts! :)
    Well, I would prefer more rigid suspension for everyday driving in suburbs. I live in hilly CT, with winding streets / roads and a lot of turns.

However, the Regal is very comfortable on long trips, on highway and rural roads.
    Man, if they come out with that I'd feel sick.... having just bought my 2002 Impala LS.... I want the L67 too!!! I wonder how much it'd be to swap??? I'm sure gonna find out! Anyone know or venture a guess?
    Trasher did it with Monte Carlo. Not only engine needed to be swapped. They replaced also transmission, fuel pump, fuel lines, fron half/axis - CV joints, etc. Would be less expensive to swap the whole car...

http://www.thrasher-ep.com/Monte_Carlo_htm/monte_carlo.shtm

Yeah, I do have the manual. It's Friday and I'm too lazy to read the manual on how to turn off the low tire pressure. hehe

Thanks to those who responded (including you garypen) :)
    I just emailed Thrasher to see if they would like to swap an L67 into an Impala like they did in their Monte Carlo SS to see what they could pull out of it in terms of performance. Even volunteered my car for the project, as long as I get to keep the finished product of course! I hope they take me up on it!!
  • mediumfrymediumfry Member Posts: 239
    Doesn't anyone post here on the weekend? Too busy outside polishing the Impala for a weekend drive I guess.
  • impalaboy2001impalaboy2001 Member Posts: 117
    Anyone in here going to the NOPI Nationals on September 21 - 22, at the Atlanta Speedway Track. I heard there should be around a 1000 cars, and if you want aftermarket parts for your car, that is the place you wanna be at. Good Prices, usually less than 50% off

Chris

http://members.cox.net/2001impala
  • chevybluechevyblue Member Posts: 7
    Hello all and thanks for the responses to my previous post, it was a great help.
    Quick question, anyone else thinks that the fog lights on the Impala are not that good?
    I switch them on and I can't see the difference.
    Any way to change the bulbs for more power?
    Thanks again guys.
    I will chime in with agreement. They are asthetically pleasing to look at from the exterior, but they don't seem to have any functional value - at least not with the stock bulbs.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    The Town Hall is about to take on a new look in an effort to make content more easily searchable and accessible.

Have you seen the Letter from the Town Hall Manager on the Town Hall Welcome page? If not, you might want to follow that link to have a look.

And hang on to your seats. Change is never easy - for any of us - but resolving the Search problems we've had will be worth the pain.

Pat
    Sedans Host
    Source Reuters

#19 Chevrolet Impala 78,903 year to date

last year to same date 85,418
    last year's rank: 25

YTD sales compared to last year -7.6%
  • blueheartblueheart Member Posts: 24
    Regarding steering wheel Problem, did they replace the whole steering column or just your ISS?
    Thanks
  • bh0001bh0001 Member Posts: 340
    I love the look, but I've never thought they added anything to visibility in any conditions (other than illuminating that small piece of road directly in front of the bumper).

I just replaced my fog light bulbs with "xenon" white bulbs (similar to the ones I use for all four headlights). Next foggy night I'll give them a try, but that might be several months away!

In the interim I'll just look cool (or stupid, depending upon your point of view) with the fog lights on in clear weather.
    Brad
  • I believe fog lights are not supposed to be bright. That is the point. They are supposed to be designed not to reflect off of the tiny water droplets that make up the fog.
    That's why they sit low, and are quite often a yellowish hue.
    I think the effect that you are looking for is provided by driving lights, not fog lights.
    Lately, I've been seeing 2-3 Impalas per day on the road. It's becoming more common.

I think the base Impala looks so naked without the rear spoiler. Too bland!
  • regulator75regulator75 Member Posts: 31
    First off, I would like to thank everyone for all the responses regarding engine cleaning (cheers).

My next question is (drum roll please....) How often should an Impala (that is driven everyday) have a tune up? Every year? 6 months or what?

I do live in western Canada so bear in mind that the winter months are quite harsh on my Navy blue 01 LS (who just rolled over 19,000 Km or 11806 miles yesterday)

Later guys and gals.
    I went and talked to my long time Chevy dealer yesterday. He told me that they have been unable to keep any stock this year. The most unsold Impalas they have had on the lot at any one time is 2!
    Last year they had 10-15 all the time.
    He recently delivered 6 white cop cars to the SC State ports authority, and he has 3 fleet cars sitting in his back lot ready to be delivered.
    he told me he cold have sold another 50-75 cars if he could get them.
    My impala turned 1 year old June 1st. 20,500 miles!
  • kimpala1962kimpala1962 Member Posts: 45
    Turned 13 months today 7273.0 miles
  • You drive your Impala like me.
    14 months, 9000 miles
    jeez! I am jealous. Just broke 12 months old a couple of weeks ago and I am pushing 17.5K miles. I gotta buy another bike so I can give the LS a rest.
  • tpkentpken Member Posts: 1,108
    Drivin

My Bonneville SE without DIC has a button labeled E/M for this function. Base Impala doesn't??
  • Taking a trip up to the great white north?
  • spence30spence30 Member Posts: 52
    26 months, 65,000 miles. I think my ISS is going again, had it replaced at 46,000 miles... Has anyone paid for the re-lube yet?? I was wondering what the cost will be. I am also on my 4th ignition. It locked up at 46,000, 48,000, 53,000 and just before the 1 year/12,000 mile warrenty ran up it did it again. If it happens again, I am dumping it and cutting my losses... even though I love the car...
    Sorry to hear about your problems. Mine is in for a possible warped rotor and a tire that is either bad or out of round.
    The purchase of my Impala was a short term thing, until I could find something more sporting.
    I doubt if I will keep it past 40-50 thousand miles.So far I have been happy with the car.
  • norbnancynorbnancy Member Posts: 118
    At the rate you drive, you will not need a tune up until 8-9 years. The owner manual states plugs replace at 100,000 miles. There are no points/ condenser to replace. I suggest replacing the gas filter every 30,000 - 40,000 miles even though the owner manual has no recommendation. Also inspect the engine drive belt for cracks deep into the core layer every oil change. Be sure to change the air filter at intervals depending on how dusty your driving is. See the owner manual. I suggest inspecting the spark plug wires to be sure they are not chaffing on anything or not rubbing on something hot like a manifold. There just is not much maintainance to do on modern G.M. cars. Enjoy the ride.
  • impalaboy2001impalaboy2001 Member Posts: 117
    For those people waiting on indiglo gauges....

Found an LS cluster on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1833569668