Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2005 and Earlier Chevrolet Impala

Comments

• garypengarypen Posts: 1,482
    >>>they should make interiors out of Rubber...<<<

They should make interiors out of leather...and wood.
  • 00impala00impala Posts: 474
    They do use Leather and Wood.....Only it is horribly Fake....I think the last generation Taurus '96-99 had some Rubbermaid Door panels... Don
    Ah yes. Genuine faux wood. The leather is leather though. I'm not sure what part of what animal it comes from. Mine feels like elephant. (It's the same color, too.)
  • nosirrahgnosirrahg Little Rock, ARPosts: 872
    Leather - Don't know about the Impala specifically, but note that leather seats are generally referred to as "leather seating surfaces" in auto literature, which allows the manufacturer the fudge room to use vinyl on "non-seating surfaces", like the backs of the seats, the fronts of the seats, etc. Odds are, anywhere other than the portion of the seat you sit on and lean back against is vinyl.

Coolant - I've noticed a coolant smell pretty regularly for the past few months, but have only topped off my coolant once. Having just hit 34k miles, I think I may take mine in and have it checked in the next week or so just in case, while I've still got some warranty left.
  • b4zb4z Posts: 3,372
    Looks like we may have a new "issue" to look out for in the 3800 equipped impala. I wonder if the regal or grand prix posters are having the same problem?
    Does anybody know how long GM has been using the plastic upper manifold bases?
  • duraflexduraflex Posts: 358
    "Leather seating surfaces" are pretty common in most cars and I have no problem with that.

My Impala is my first car with leather and I don't particularly like it but the 2000 fabric was so thin and ugly, I didn't have much choice.

Incidentally, "leather seating surfaces" are even common on leather recliners for the home that cost $1000 or so.
    Does anyone remeber when this first came up?
    Anyone?.....Anyone?..... Bueller?
    Nissan was the first to get sued.
    A customer bought a 300ZX and discovered that all of the seat was not leather. There was a lot of vinyl on that seat.
    He sued Nissan and won!
    Good for him.
    I think it was around 1985-86.
    Ever since then manufacturers have been very careful about how they tout leather.
  • teoteo Posts: 2,508
    Yeah the cloth is definetely not the greatest on the LS model, but the leather was not impressive either for the additional $600.00. I just cringe to think about how the leather seats in these cars will look like 4 or 5 years down the road.

Also leather is a bad idea in hot, muggy climates. Cloth is the better choice at least for me.

The only other advantage of leather is ease of maintenance in terms of cleaning spills, etc.

At least I avoid eating messy foods in the car. LOL
    My Acura's 2.5TL leather started to crease, fold and peel on the driver's seat horribly after 3 years of use. The leather wrapped steering wheel also peeled and had to be dyed twice under Acura warranty. The leather was better than the one in the Impala, but still pretty lackluster for a premium $30K Japanese import.

Cloth might not be the most luxurious looking thing, but it is practical and more comfortable in hot weather.

If you ever want to see a domestic car with a very well done cloth interior, climb next time in a new Ford Taurus. Really nice fabric quality and beats the Impala's cloth fabrics by a million miles. That's about the only area where the Taurus can claim to be better than the Impala and it is the interior. The rest, pretty much run of the mill.
    BRING BACK VELOUR!
    According to GMPowertrain.com, the upper and lower intake manifold in the 3800 Series II V6 (L36) is made of Cast Alluminum. Are we taking about the same engine part?
    "BRING BACK VELOUR!"

I taught you were in love with your Connolly scented rich Corinthian leather...guess NOT!
    Remember the Oldsmobiles with the tufted built in seat cushions?
    I think Car and Driver called those that the French Bordello Option.
    Buick had them too.
    Give me pure black, slippery, smelly, hot, disgusting vinyl seats.
    When i bought my first camaro vinyl was standard and cloth was a $22.00 option. I got the cloth.
    Mom kept vinyl in the '77 impala wagon because of the dog.
    Leather seems to get dirtier quicker than vinyl did.
    On my next car i will either do cloth or perforated leather due to the high humidity and temps here.
    I think perforated leather make much more sense than "sealed" flat leather surfaces in hot climates. Good alternative for next time as well.
  • shrubsshrubs Posts: 22
    I love leather seats. The leather will last as long as you treat it nicely :>) I sold my 1987 Olds 98 2dr coupe to buy my Impala. The leather seats in it were in fantastic shape. Of course I cleaned it often with leather cleaner (not vinyl cleaner).

It's going to be -15 tonight so I will have the seat heater on in the morning!
    That seat heater sounds nice.
    OTOH, I'm gonna put the top down for the ride home tonight. A little ZZ Top on the stereo. Oh yeah.
    If I was driving the Impala, I'd have the moon roof open. (Or, is it a sun roof? What's the difference, anyway?)
    That black, sticky vinyl sounds great, especially in Florida. Just make sure you're wearing shorts!
  • hvan3hvan3 Posts: 630
    My Impala has the WORST leather seats I have ever sat on. I don't even consider it leather. Yuck!
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Posts: 2,287
    I much prefer cloth in my cars, but I must say of the many US and foreign cars I have driven and ridden in in the past years, the Chevy Impala cloth is the LEAST impressive. It reminds me of mousefur. Not even good mousefur. Mr. Lutz, are you listening?
  • duraflexduraflex Posts: 358
    Just as qualities of cloth and leather vary, so does vinyl and some of it IMHO was very good - especially the heavier, slighty textured, not so shiny "naugehyde" type products.

At classic/antique car shows, I have seen cars of the 20s, 30s and 40s with unrestored cloth interiors that still looked great decades after they were made. Have also seen cars of the 60s and 70s that had some very nice original vinyl that almost looks like new today. On the other hand I've seen some original old leather of the same vintage that is cracked, weather, dried and/or discolored.

As everyone knows, car interior temperatures run great extremes from literally sub-zero to well over a 100 degrees Fahrenheit. Many cars sit in bright sun year after soaking gobs of damaging UV light. Whatever the interior components are made of, it's a very demanding situation.
  • moff3206moff3206 Posts: 13
    50048 miles and the Impala is in the shop while they tear down the tranny and advise me of what's wrong. I will update when I get the call.
    What happened to your tranny?
  • hggrayhggray Posts: 24
    The way I read the GMPowertrain.com L36 engine summary, the upper intake manifold on the C, H, and W bodied cars are "composite" (nice new word for plastic...)
    Ok, I missed that part of the info on the GMpowertrain web page. According to them, the F-body cars equipped with the 3800 V6 (Camaro Coupe 3800)have full upper and lower Cast Aluminum intake manifolds.

On the W-body car applications, the Upper intake manifold is "Composite" (Thermal plastic) and the lower manifold is made of "High Silicon Molybdenum, Cast Nodular Iron".

I am afraid that a lot of cars today are using Thermal Plastics for critical engine parts, not just GM.

In the 3.4L V6 engine found in the Impala base, the upper and lower intake manifolds are made of Cast Aluminun.

My only sort of beef with the 3.4L engine is that the cylinder head is made of Aluminum whereas in the 3800 is made of Cast Iron.
  • I got ahold of superchips.com over the phone today and asked them if they got a chip for our cars. They said they're suppose to have one later on this year, around summer time.
    Chris