Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2005 and Earlier Chevrolet Impala

Comments

• teoteo Posts: 2,508
    Because they have contracts and vested interests in Toyota and Suzuki way before they acquired Fuji Heavy Industries. The GM/Toyota California plant has been in operation since 1985 and the first car they made was the Chevrolet Nova, aka 1985 Toyota Corolla hatchback. Ditto with the Ingersoll, Ontario Suzuki/GM operation Remember the Chevrolet Sprint/Metro?.

Subaru is putting together the Opel Zafira AWD wagon for both domestic and export markets (Unfortunately we don't get it here).

GM also had a vested interest in Isuzu before. The late Chevy Spectrum (Aka Isuzu I-mark) and the Geo Storm (Isuzu Impulse) where the by products of that early relationship. GM indirectly gives Honda Isuzu SUVs (The Passport) and the old Acura SLX (Trooper).

GM just started assembling a special Chevy model for the Japanese market in Japan last month. First time an US automaker manufactures a new car in Japan, using Japanese labor and materials (See we are returning the favor).

It gets more complicated. GM-Shangai manufacturing operations, assembles and sells Buicks in China. The Regal/Century and the Venture (Buick Sintra) minivans have been well received in that country. A new Buick Regal is considered to be a luxury car and sells for more than $40K in China. The lates hit is the Buick Sail, which is the current model Opel Corsa small hatchback sold in Europe. We don't get the Corsa in North America either.

By the way, GM also owns Daewoo of South Korea.
    "My question is why the new design, unless there was a problem with the old one?"

Well, apparently the old design has the seat woobling/moving problem. The new design is non-adjustable and therefore it doesn't exhibit the seat track woobling issue. It appears to be that cars built with the adjustable seat track can be retrofitted to the new non-adjustable seat track.
  • garypengarypen Posts: 1,482
    That's right! I remember those Isuzu-built Geo's, now! I had forgotten. Real pieces of crap, BTW. My sister in law had an I-mark. Hyundais, Kias and Daewoos are better built! Isuzu got out of the car business, and stuck to their bread and butter, trucks, thankfully.

Daewoo was very recent. I didn't even know that it was completed. I thought it was still in the discussion stage.
  • wyoimpwyoimp Posts: 87
    The Tire Pressure Monitor was a subject of discussion awhile back. Saturday I had the low tire pressure message come on. So immediatlely out the window went, "check tire pressure if car has sat longer than 3 hours or been driven less than 1 mile". Ever try to find an air hose at a truck stop? Ever forget to get to carry a tire gauge? Aired the left front to match the right front. (No tire pressure gauge on the air hose.) Then came to mind all the posts of re-setting the tire pressure monitor - opened the Owner's Manual, Section 6, page 43 or 44. Read about resetting through the radio, eyes glazed over quickly, then cuaght the preceding paragraph. Basically cycling the the light switch (with ignition ON) from OFF to PARK and back 3 times. Worked like a charm! Then once I got home, bought a digital tire pressure gauge and aired up the tires properly. Left front was 19psi all other tires were 29.5psi. Aired all tires up to 32psi - rides a ;ittle harder, but not unpleasant. Tire pressure IS NOT on the drivers door jamb, its on the inside of the trunk lid.
    ISS and CRADLE - Anybody know for sure what the taxi and police Impalas use? Did / do they have the same history steering problems as the civilian Impalas? While staticstically speaking the cradle problem is small - if you're one of the unlucky ones (compounded by an ignorant Service Department) that's little comfort.
    WARRANTIES - If you don't trust the car or have the finances, then an extended warranty is the way to go. When I bought my slightly used (18,000mi) Plymouth Grand Voyager, it paid for two of the infamous A605 Ultra Drive (to the tranny repair place) transmissions. Just make sure it's from somebody reputable. Many are nothing more than insurance policies that collect money for the company and cover nothing or involve more headaches than the paper they are printed on to collect on.
    Hmmmm maybe my next Impala will be an ex City or State cop car.
    >>>Well, apparently the old design has the seat woobling/moving problem. <<<

Apparent to you and me...not to GM/Chevy, as far as they'll admit.
    Yep, GM took the dive and bought out Daewoo, albeit some manufacturing plants (Such as Pupyong where the Leganza sedan is made) were left out of the final sales package. Also the take over will affect some Daewoo plants in central Europe that are money pits that no one wants to bail out their ever mounting debts.

the only reason I see GM bought Daewoo was to gain an entrance in the hot Korean/Asian market. They have covered China and now Going for the rest of Asia so it seems. Daewoos are crappy cars in my opinion and most ride on very old GM/Opel platforms. For example, the Daewoo Lanos hatchback rides on the old Pontiac Lemans/Opel Kadett platform....scary!

I had a 1987 Isuzu I-mark 4 door in High school (Car was new then). It had zero power and the 1.5L Carburated four banger was rated at only 70HP. Couple that to a slow shifting 3-speed automatic and then you are in for quite possibly the slowest car ever made by Isuzu.
    I am not sure which Impala model you have, but on my LS (Firmer suspension, Stiffer touring tires)I keep the fronts at 34PSI (Cold) and the rears at 32PSI (Cold). The ride is only marginally harder but the handling does improve big time with the Goodyears (But no matter what the car still corners very flat).

I am waiting to wear down the Goodyear Eagle GA's to jump into a new set of Yokos as recommended by our resident Impala expert in performance add-on's Garypen! ;-)
    That would be Nathan, not me. ;-) I just hated those Goodyears.
    FYI, the Yokos do seem to wear quickly, so don't expect long life. I can also vouch for their wet weather handling, as the rainy season has begun in San Jose. Very good.
    Garypen, does your CL come with Michelins?
    Yeah. MXV4's, I believe.
    My '97 2.5TL had Bridgestone Potenzas and then I swtiched them to Falkens.

The '97 3.2TL had Michelins as OEM.
  • I agree with Garypen, the TSB does say "They all do that"

Almost fell off my seat when I read that.

There is a little play in the seat. If you position your left hand so your palm is on the edge of the seat and your fingertips touch the doorsill then rock back and forth in the seat, you can feel the seat move.

One of these days I'll look under the seat and see what's going on.
    Nathan...did the test and nope the seat doesn't move or rock.
    Nathan's does it! Woo hoo. I'm not crazy! (as far as the seat goes, anyway.) Teo's, OTOH, doesn't. Apparently they did apply a fix by changing the seat track design mid year. I'll be using that TSB in my case.

Nathan - Try doing that test with the seat in various positions. You may find that it is worse in some postions than others. Personally, I hate it.
    "Nathan - Try doing that test with the seat in various positions. You may find that it is worse in some postions than others. Personally, I hate it."

Fully raised or lowered or tilted front to back or back to front?

I agree, having a woobling seat is not only annoying and uncomfortable but dangerous as well.
  • gweilogweilo Posts: 118
    "While staticstically speaking the cradle problem is small"

What statistics are you referrring to?
  • 00impala00impala Posts: 474
    Why do you not suggest to your Service Manager to call the Service Place in Detroit,re: a Noisy '01 cradle.. maybe they will give him the same info they gave my Service Director,(I was right beside him when he called form his desk) I don't want to get into "My Service Director is More honest than yours" or "My Dad is stronger than your dad" any of that manby-pamby crap. Just see if they tell him anything new, Maybe since he has not talked to them in a short while concerning Cradles or had one recently he might not be aware of what they are saying now,as in TODAY or this Week...... You know how things can change day to day. Tighten it,Replace it,Shim it, Tell them to Wait until March '02..Etc....

By the way, I checked my Micron Air Filter on my LS under the psgr wiper...and boy was it dirty,,1st time since new in 12/99... If you have a LS, I reccomend taking it out once in a while and brushing/blowing it off... Don
  • charts2charts2 Posts: 618
    Can any one reccomend a good polish or protector for the LS wheels throught the winter. They pour the salt on roads like its free up here in Southern Ontario.

Has anyone had any problems with exterior rust at all on their car. I haven't heard of any problems but just something I want to watch for if a few posts indicate paint blistering or slight rust in a particular area. So far everyone seems to be happy with the paint on their Impalas.

THATS GOOD NEWS !!!
  • 00impala00impala Posts: 474
    I have a set of the Black Steel Rims and 4 of the 9C1 Police Center Caps and 4 winter tires, my 5 spokes sat out last winter and will this winter as well. If not that, I would just use a good polish, about the best you can do,

On my 2000 LS the only sign of not really Rust but a little oxidation is under the front lip of the Hood next to the Latch opening, to the left, there is a Round Dime Sized hole Factory drilled there for???, But it seems to go thru 2 layers of steel and that is the only rust colored spot I have. I am going to treat it to get the oxidation off before it really rusts.. Can't miss the hole, it is to the left of the hood latch along with some other oblong holes, this is the only one doing this..Don
  • konokono Posts: 3
    Thanks for replying, fellas. Teo, I think the build date is late 2000. last 6 VIN digits: 172769. So, If my car's equipped with the adjustable version of the track, can't it be adjusted to "wobble" less? On the other hand, if I do have the non-adjustable improved track, then what was the improvement? It sort of annoys me when something like this happens, but it really ticks me off when the dealer plays stupid.