Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2005 and Earlier Chevrolet Impala

Comments

• jarrettwjarrettw Posts: 14
    I just returned from a 2500 mile trip in my new 03 LS. I averaged ~28 MPG with the cruise, averaging 75-80 MPH. The trip was great. Smooth comfortable ride and the XM radio was excellent. If you buy a car with the intent of keeping it 5-8 years, I don't think you can go wrong with the Impala.
  • tommy42tommy42 Posts: 70
    Just rolled 10,000 miles on my 01.No problems so far. Need to check air filter & change cabin filter.
  • t_tookalookt_tookalook Posts: 29
    Mike,
    I purchased an '03 Impala the end of January, the only thing I've noticed is that it has tire/road noise but you can live with it OK. I plan on different tires and some undercoating for it.
    Statistically the extended warranty is not a good deal but I would buy it. I had a Mountaineer and nothing but transmission trouble and wished I'd had the insurance. The more I drive the Imp the better I like it. You can get them equipped any way you want, either model. Can't go wrong.
    Rodger
    t-tookalook@hotmail.com
  • cgacga Posts: 23
    I was at a Chevrolet dealer yesterday, trying to order a base Impala with the 3.4 V6, along with the 1SB and AG1 option packages. Those are the only options I wanted.

The salesmen insisted I had to order the more expensive 1SC package in order to get the AG1 electric seat adjuster option. Based on the printout I had with me (and two others I'd left home) I was sure I could order the AG1 with the 1SB. So I walked out.

Can anyone throw some light on this? Was the dealer lying?
  • mdm4mdm4 Posts: 33
    Dear CQA, I recently purchased a 2003 base Impala, with the 1SB pkg and Traction Control for my wife. The invoice was $21,000 before tax. I had a $1,000 on my GM card and combined with the $3,000 rebate, purchased the car for $17,000 (please note, I insisted that the dealer find me a car that was delivered last fall before the price increas). I had to pay the advertising fee and agreed to a $150 fee to have the dealer pick up the car at another dealership (my dealer had to locate my car). I am very pleased with the Impala and I enjoy it as much as my 2000 Deville.
    mdm4: Thanks for information.

The dealer offered to sell me a base 2003 Impala for $17,300 with the 1SB package. That's after the $3k rebate, plus licensing and taxes, and very important to me--*does not* include any GM card or other discounts (I don't have any).

I know this is an excellent deal, but it applies only to a green car (36 miles) that has been sitting on their lot for months. I'm not too keen on the color, however.

I'm also still wondering if the AG1 seat option can be added to the 1SB package since I don't want the more expensive 1SC options.
    I can now answer my own question about the AG1 option. According to GM, the AG1 seat option can be ordered with the 1SB or 1SA package. It is not necessary to go with the 1SC option package in order to add the AG1.
  • pluto5pluto5 Posts: 618
    When I looked at the 03's there was no green, are you sure it wasn't an 02?
  • ndmike88ndmike88 Posts: 155
    The saleman I'm working with says to wait until the middle of the month before buying. GM MIGHT be adding an additional $1000. Anyone else hear anything???
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Posts: 2,287
    GM NEVER announces or even hints what it is about to do with incentives. WHY would it? Only after the current incentive has expired will it announce what it is going to do next.

No need to tip off competitors.

GM certainly does NOT want customers to delay buying. Dealers (who are GM's real customers) would be FURIOUS!

With all due respect, your salesman is either misguided, full of it or both.
    GM already announced an additional $1,000 rebate for suppliers and retirees, and an extra $750 for military so giving everyone $1,000 would kind of defeat their purpose. Does anyone believe they make any profits on Impala?
    Sorry--I got a little confused. I'm terrible with dark colors. I took another look at the car and I guess it's a dark blue, or their version of it. And it is a 2003. I'm beginning to think I could live with the color, considering the price.
  • hvan3hvan3 Posts: 630
    Actually, GM does announce their up and coming promotions to the public. However, you have to read it in the Wall Street Journal, or watch CNBC.
    I have never seen such an announcement until the program is actually effective and the old one is being replaced. And I read the Wall Street Journal, Detroit News, Automotive News, Ward's, Crain's Detroit Business, Investor's Daily, etc.

GM is not about to announce incentives that would delay a sale that otherwise would be made today. Again, if they did that, dealers would rightfully howl!
  • nosirrahgnosirrahg Little Rock, ARPosts: 872
    Had something happen in my 2000 Impala that's never occured before; I climbed in and started the car, and noticed the clock wasn't working. I tried turning the radio on/off, but it wouldn't work either. Then I noticed the odometer/PRNDL indicator wasn't lit up. The car was running fine, and all the other dash lights were working fine; just the LED-type things were dead. I turned the key off and re-started the car, and everything went back to normal.

Has anyone else had this happen?
    Yep.

Right before my headlight switch shorted out.

Several times.

And then the interior lights quit for good. Interestingly, they worked at night, but during the day, nada!

That's assuming, of course, that the radio itself worked throughout, just the display conked out. If the radio wasn't working either, never mind, it's something else!
  • bh0001bh0001 Posts: 340
    I had that happen once to my '01 LS about a year ago. I did the same thing as you (restarted the car) and everything was fine. Hasn't happened again.
  • discgolferdiscgolfer Posts: 72
    I had not noticed what you described, however, every once in a while, I'll notice my blinkers are not working. When this happens, I turn on the emergancy flashers for 1 or 2 seconds, then turn them off, and the blinkers will work !!!

Anyone have this happen?
  • boltzieboltzie Posts: 5
    ... and was wandering where the coin holder is located. It looks like something is missing inside the middle storage console. When the lid is lifted, there are two small posts by the latch hole. Should there have been one of those spring-loaded coin holders located on the post?

Also, I read a previous post about rust under the seat.....there is some minor rust under my seat and the dealer stated that it was not a problem. I looked at an LS Sport loaded and it had some rust under the leather seats. What's up with the rust?
  • boltzieboltzie Posts: 5
    I've been told by some mechanics that it is a good idea to have the oil changed after the first 1000 miles or so, mainly because the engine is brand new. Has anyone else been told to do this?

Also, how many are running synthetic or a blended-synthetic oil?

My manual states that the 3800 should use 10W-30, but my cap under the hood says 5W-30? How many switch between the two oils depending on the weather?

Thanks,
    Dan
  • charlief1charlief1 Posts: 10
    Have a 2002 Impala LS with 12K miles. Interior color is tan. It looks like the color is wearing off the driver side arm rest on the door. Seems like I saw something about this sometime in the past on this forum. I would think the plastic in a high wear area would have the color all the way through but it definitely looks like a black color is coming through the tan color. Anyone else experiencing this?
  • mrpoetrymanmrpoetryman Posts: 38
    Dan, I am also missing a coin holder on my new 2003 Impala LS (Just turned 800 miles). I stopped at a Chevy dealer on my to work, (Not the dealer where I bought the car) and they said that I should go back to my selling dealer and let them know about it. They said that it should definately be there and that the dealer should order one at no charge because it is included in the warranty. I will be going there on Monday and let you know what happens.

I did not see any rust under the front bucket seats of my LS when I picked it up from the dealer three weeks ago.

Neil
  • ghostwolfghostwolf Posts: 91
    They discontinued the coin holder in the 2003, also they stopped having a lighted "PRND321" gauge at the floor shifter. I think they also made some other minor deletions, which have not gone unnoticed. Someone posted a car review a week or so ago (canadian) where the reviewer even asked why not have 2 shift indicators.

If your dealer is cool, they will just order the coin holder and give it to you free of charge. If they can't find the part tell them to look it up in the computer under a 2001 Impala LS's VIN.

Have a Good one
    You might have the wrong cap because the 3.8 engine is supposed to have 10W-30 oil. I changed mine at 1200 miles but no one told me to do it. I use dino oil from Wal-mart and change every 4 mos. due to mostly short trips.
    I have always had my oil changed on any new vehicle I've purchased at ~500 miles. Gets rid of the metal filings, and other crud during assembly. After the first oil change I go between 3,500 and 4,000 miles for all other changes. Never have had any oil related engine trouble.
    Have heard good and bad about using synthetic oils. I have always used what GM puts in. Goodwrench oil seems to do the job for me.
    Mobil 1 and others seem too pricey. As long as you change it between 3,500-4,000 miles non-synthetic oils seem ok. If I drove a Vette it might be another story.
  • atbearatbear Posts: 322
    You should change your oil first at between 500-1000 miles with regular oil.... then you should change to synthetic at 4000 miles and keep changing it every 4000 miles...
    Waste of money to use syn if you are going to change it at 4K IMO unless you live in Alaska, you might as well use a good dyno like Penzoil.
  • rbb2rbb2 Posts: 70
    atbear, what is your reasoning to use a synthetic oil at all? If I use a regular oil and change every 5000 miles what need do I have for synthetic?
  • colie74colie74 Posts: 42
    Are you sure it's just not dirty? I had the grey interior and I noticed the same thing, black. But to me it looked dirty and I believe the car washers got it off.

Try cleaning it first. It seems to be textured and the dirt really gets in there, hard to come off.

Good luck
    Nicole