Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2005 and Earlier Chevrolet Impala

Comments

• colie74colie74 Posts: 42
    Just a quick update on my lemon law case. Had an 00 impala LS with a trunk leak that the service dept. refused to take the time to try and fix. Half [non-permissible content removed] fixes just to apease me and get me out of the service dept and hoping the warrenty ran out soon.

I called a LL attorney instead of filing a complaint with GM and going through abritration. In addition to the trunk leak, I had ALL the same common problems as well, ISS, clicking front end, hesitation, loose driver's seat and the coolant leak. So I really didn't want to keep it anyways. Well the lawyer sent off a demand and wouldn't you know it, GM came through and excepted a buy back without and arguement or hassle. Didn't even go to court.

So I just surrendered my impala on Sunday. I was actually sad to see it go, or actually seeing it on the lot as I drove off. Poor car, I feel like I abandoned it!!

I actually can't complain and have no hard feelings anymore. GM really came through on this one (personally I have a feeling as they reviewed ALL my invoices and knowing how much trouble that model year had, they decided to just buy it back) and made good on a problem an unhappy customer was having. I was quite surprised at the outcome.

So as I say my goodbyes and move on to the next board regarding my new car (went import this time...sorry!!), I have to say that the impala was a good solid car except it's defects and will miss it somewhat.

It sure is weird seeing them on the road now.

Take care all and thanks for all the help. I never would have known all my problems were common to that year...I was on top of the coolant leak when it happened, so I think I prevented even more damage, not that that matters now. You all have been a big help.

And if you ever have a problem that doesn't seem to get fixed at your dealer, contact an attorney and ask away, it never hurts to ask, you just never know.

I'll pop back in if any one has any questions.

Thanks
    Nicole
  • drivinisfundrivinisfun Posts: 372
    Well, I'll be selling my Impala in about 2 months from now. 20,800 miles and its running like the finest piece of clockwork...smooth as silk, great mileage and not a single problem.

However, the time has come for me to move on to my next new set of wheels. Quite different from the Impala but definetely an absolutely fun car with resale values that no current big three product can't even touch.

A family member has expressed interest in my car and he knows he is getting a real cream puff. The car looks showroom new, all maintenance records on hand and servicing done by selling dealer, immaculate in and out.

My new '04 MINI Cooper S will be arriving at my dealer sometime in October and I am very excited after a 10 month wait.

Bottom line: The Impala is a terrific family sedan that is actually fun to drive. good power, gas mileage, excellent quality (In despite some of the known issues already discussed here), comfortable, dependable, safe and very handsome. My only beef about owning this car is the rapid depreciation. After 3 or 4 years these cars are practically worth peanuts. A shame for such well engineered car...GM's never ending rebates and discounts have hurt and will continue to diminish residual values in the Impala and virtually all GM passenger car models for years to come.

If you buy an Impala, plan to keep it until the wheels fall off.....only then you can justify its higher than average depreciation over several years of ownership.

I am sure I will miss it but the MINI is a radically different "Motoring" experience worth having at least once in a lifetime. Total automotive Nirvana.

I am sure that my '01 LS will have a nice new home in a couple of months when I sell it to my family member.

During the weekend I drove a 2003 BMW 325i sedan....oh boy that car is awesome! yes it is smaller inside in comparison to the Impala but the engine is so powerful from the get go and the BMW 2.5L Inline 6 cyl is sooo smooth and balanced..no wonder people are willing to pay $30k for these babies. the VANOS system is terrific and the car has gobs and gobs of power in the upper end of the powerband (Something the Impala lacks due to its pushrod configuration).

Rear wheel drive, 50/50 weight distribution and incredible handling dynamics. If GM ever builds an Impala with RWD and a V8 with BMW like handling I will be duly interested. But GM also has to address its poor resale value problems too if they want me back on their fold.
  • regfootballregfootball Posts: 2,166
    yeah, if GM ever did that........seems like such a simple request that they never fulfill.
  • pluto5pluto5 Posts: 618
    I have nothing against Bimmers except to note their exhorbitant prices, especially parts not to mention repair costs in general and I don't envy the RWD. I see them fishtailing every winter in our hilly area.
    Have you ever driven a BMW?
  • txguytxguy Posts: 57
    Better oil =less heat= longer engine life=lower overall maintenance costs

The good synthetics provide superior lubrication and friction reduction and don't break down as quickly as fossil based oils. Talk to high end mechanics and racers. I trust the opinions of those who see the results of friction on engines every day.

I'm a strong believer in putting the best oils I can afford in my vehicles (and changing it regularly!) . My last car had over 350K miles on it when it was stolen. My Suburban is at 328K and running strong. I switched my 01 LS (51K miles) to Mobil 1 and get about 5K between changes. I change it when it begins to turn color which seems to correspond closely to the engine computer reminder.

I may be an exception because I don't trade often any more. I just get something I like and drive the wheels off it. My commute is 55 miles one way. The 28-30mpg at relatively high speeds from the Impala is terrific. That silver streak on the tollway is me ;-)
  • 02lssport02lssport Posts: 75
    I have never driven one so I can't personally attest to how they drive in winter weather but my neighbor had a really sweet BMW 325i. This dude actually brought the car new and sold it like two years later on e-bay to someone in CA becuase he didn't feel safe driving it in the snow.
  • atbearatbear Posts: 322
    .... because synthetic oil is better. I change my oil every 7-8K miles... I said 4K to be safe.
  • b4zb4z Posts: 3,372
    I was the one who was complaining about it.
    Mine is definitely wearing.
    I have the neutral interior with the darker brown on the window sill. The lighter neutral is starting to show through. i took it to the dealer and they said it was normal wear and would not replace the part.
    The car is only 2 years old but has over 40K miles.
    Which car did you buy?

I'll answer my own question. An Altima, right?
  • mrpoetrymanmrpoetryman Posts: 38
    My 2003 LS just turned 1000 miles and I took it in to get the oil changed. I go to a local quick-lube shop (Expressway) and the service manager said he has worked on some 2000 models with over 100,000 miles on them still running great. I have known the manager for 4 years now and he also works on race cars, so he knows what he is talking about. He has praised the 3800 engine before and said that it is the workhorse of the GM fleet. Just thought you might like to know.

Neil
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Posts: 2,287
    Well, my 2000 now has 121,000 miles on it, and just returned from a trip to Mobile from little old West Virginia! :) Only significant repair has been a headlight switch. I change the oil every 5,000 miles (or it seems like every two months!)
    That sounds great John. Hope I have the same with mine.

Neil
  • ndmike88ndmike88 Posts: 155
    On Saturday my son purchased a '03 LS. Galaxy Silver, leather, sunroof..... Listed for $26,265, GMS 24,143. 3,000 rebates, plus an extra 250 for GMS, plus an extra 500 because I own a Non GM(?),plus 1200 for a '95 Grand AM with 178,000 miles in rough condition. I think we did pretty good. Dealer threw in floor mats and a cargo net.
    Hope the vehicle is as good as I've read here and what several others have said.
    Congratulations Mike and good luck with your Impala LS. Sounds like a great deal.

Neil
  • Twice this past month, I evidently ran over a nail which punctured the tire. While driving I heard the chimes, and noticed the message "Low Tire Pressure". I immediately pulled over and noticed that my front driver's side tire was getting low. I managed to get to a service station not far down the road where they repaired the tire. This past week the same occurance but it was the rear passenger side tire that took a nail. Having this feature on the Impala LS is fantastic. God only knows that if I didnt have the message center to advise me of the tire going low, I could have lost control of the car. I've turned 30,600 miles and I love this car. Regards to all.
  • hall18hall18 Posts: 1
    Have a 2003 ls, 3000 miles on it bought in Jan. While cleaning this weekend I happened to look under the seat and what do I see rusty metal. So I checked the passenger side same thing. Then I started over the whole car. The frame behind the rear seat also has rust spots. Took it to the dealer they said they could not do a thing to it. Any advice on what to do? Im pretty fed up
  • ndmike88ndmike88 Posts: 155
    Have the dealer contact the factory rep, or try another dealer. 3,000 miles and rust is under the seats?? Something isn't right. Are you sure the car wasn't flood damaged??
  • koolerbkoolerb Posts: 10
    I just offered a dealer the Edmunds TMV price for a new Impala and the dealer said it was below his cost. Went went right down the list of options and the option prices and destination fees were right on. Then he said GM also tacks an advertising fee onto every invoice and that fee was pushing his cost over my offer price. Can anyone tell me if this holds water or is this guy pulling my leg?
    I paid the advertising fee. I think it was $179?
    It is in the invoice.
    But some dealers will make deals without it.

Keep in mind there is a $750 holdback on the a 25K IMpala. So he is making that plus other stuff we don't know about.
  • garywgaryw Posts: 116
    Anyone have an update on the delivery date...still late summer?
    Saw it in a TV comercial last week.
    My '01 Impala LS turned 2 years old June 1st. I now have over 41,000 miles on it.
  • hvan3hvan3 Posts: 630
    Today, after 2 years and 4 months, I have finally paid off my loan on my 2000 Impala LS!! Woohoo!

With slightly over 34K miles, this car still drives like a dream.
  • bearmerbearmer Posts: 37
    Makers and dealers share the cost of advertising because they both benefit. This is true in other industries, too. It's always been called cooperative advertising. A few years ago somebody got the bright idea to list it as an element of the cost of the car and make the customer pay it. Sometimes the salesman doesn't even mention it until he gives you the pen to sign the contract. Heating the building is a cost of doing business, too, but he doesn't ask the customer to pay for his share (yet). Cooperative charges aren't billed by units sold so the dealer's yearly bill is fixed no matter how many cars he sells.

I've talked to two kinds of dealers, those who don't try to collect it and those who treat it as sacrosanct and act astonished that you should even suggest that it's bogus. When you talk to one of these be sure he understands that what matters to you is the final cost and his fee can take him out of the running against dealers who don't charge it.
    My '01 Impala LS is also already paid off. I took delivery exactly 26 and a half months ago. 21,100 miles and still drives great. Will be going to a new home sometime this month.
  • pluto5pluto5 Posts: 618
    If you don't pay the advertising fee they will make it up somewhere else like by selling you an extended warranty or charging a titling fee.
  • bearmerbearmer Posts: 37
    Well, I agree that the dealer will figure out how to make a profit on the sale but the fees matter if you are trying to bargain based on the invoice price.

The invoice is the sum of the wholesale prices for each item on the factory window sticker. To that, add the full destination charge. When somebody buys a car for $300 over invoice it means just that. No paperwork handling fee, floorplan fee, advertising fee, window etching fee, preparation charge, market adjustment, or whatever else he tells you is part of his cost. If you pay invoice + $300 + a bunch of fees he makes a windfall.

I think somebody can do okay by getting a couple of Internet quotes, then walk into a few showrooms and compare the "driveaway" price of each one. That's the true bottom line of the contract. One may be honest enough to list the invoice and his $300 margin. Another may tell you he's selling it for $100 under invoice then add $400 in fees. Either way the price is the same. I like the first kind of contract (and dealer).

There' one more element of pricing worth mentioning. The dealer gets a refund of 3% of the MSRP (not including destination charge) of each car he sells at the end of the quarter. It's called holdback. This means that he can sell the car at invoice and make a profit. But it's really a discount on the interest he's paying GM to finance his total new car inventory. I don't know if it shows up as revenue on his books.
  • mard22mard22 Posts: 4
    I recently purchased a 2002 Impala LS and have a whole lot of road noise and a wheel noise when turning. Dealers keep telling me its the tires causing this. Has anyone had this problem
    All 2001 and later w body cars have additional wheelwell liners to lower the road noise.
    For instance my 2001 Impala is significantly quieter than my '99 Intrigue.
    Which tires do you have? Are they cupped? Or worn abnormally.