Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2005 and Earlier Chevrolet Impala

Comments

• 3871338713 Posts: 26
    What about the series III?
  • b4zb4z Posts: 3,372
    Big difference between 280 ft lbs and 340 ft lbs.
    260 hp vs. 305hp+.

4T80E trans would probably fit but weighs 75 lbs more.
    LSD is not offered with either trans.

Cadillac would look unkindly towards a Chevy having more power than the deville and STS.

FWD is not the best place to put a small block Chevy. Too much torque steer, too little traction.

LS1 has higher revs than 3800. This is also hard on a transmission.
    What I am trying to ask now is why the Impala SS has the series 2 supercharged engine as opposed to the series 3 supercharged engine. It seems to me there would be little difficulty in putting the series 3 engine in the Impala. I think that if the GTO is going to use the Corvette engine, the Impala SS should get to have the series 3 engine insted of being stuck with '97-'03 Grand Prix leftovers.
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Posts: 2,287
    Same problem. Instead of Cadillac being upset, insert the word "Pontiac."
    Exactly what I thought. I'm not in marketing or anything, but it seems like a flawed strategy to me.
  • jpstaxjpstax Posts: 250
    Pontiac also had something to say about not allowing the Series III for the '04 Buick Regal GS.

Here are pics of a great looking '63 Impala SS. It has the immortal 409-425 horsepower engine:

http://selectmotors.net/1963-impala-ss-409.htm
    Might get CTS's engine in '05.
  • free_bsdfree_bsd Posts: 9
    Hello everyone, I know this topic has been covered, but it seemed to have been dominated by the people that have the 3.8L Impala. I was just wondering of the people that have the 3.4L engine, how many had to deal with the Intake Manifold Problem? Has anyone with a 3.4L say for 100% sure that have not had the problem?

I took my car (purchased used earlier this year - 2000 Impala (69,100k) w/ used Optimum warranty) to the dealer the other day as I saw the coolant slowly disappearing out of the overflow bottle. The dealer called back and said they my overflow bottle is full and that they pressure tested it to if it was leaking, and they say it is not.

I told him that coolant just doesn’t walk away and come back when car is at the dealer. He promised to check it again tomorrow morning. I’m wondering if he’s trying to pass the buck until my warranty is up (900k to go) so that I have to paid to get it fixed.

So, after that “discussion” with the dealer and reading the power point link provided by Mr. Chan, I’m wondering if I should cut my losses and get rid of this car ASAP. I found this site about a week after I purchased the car, and I’ve been worried sick I’m made the wrong choice in cars ever since. I was hoping to keep this car for a very long time, but with problems with this car (cradle, ISS, seat, intake, ?Transmission?), and the dealership lying though its teeth, I don’t think that will be possible. Makes me wonder how GM is still in business.

PS – Yes, I’ve seen B gillie’s death cool site, and gm-v6lemons.com.
  • drivinisfundrivinisfun Posts: 372
    Well, a family member owns a 2001 Impala base 3.4L sedan and in close to 2 years of ownership she has not had any problems with her car at all. It has been extremely reliable and the car does take a beating day in and day out. No rattles, no squeaks, no leaks, no transmission problems, nothing, nada, zilch, zero.

I have a 2001 Impala LS with 21K miles (Currently have it up for sale) and the car is an absolute cream puff inside and out. Aside from a replaced upper plastic manifold over 6 months ago, I haven't had any other issues with the car. Transmission oil is crystal clear, fresh engine oil and filter, new coolant (Flushed and replaced when they worked on the manifold)smooth and solid car all around.

I am not saying that problems with Impalas don't exist but at least the 2001 and on model year cars seem to be the best of the bunch.

If you really like the car, maybe you should consider trading to a newer model year or even a new one.

All cars have problems, no matter who makes them (I have owned a crop of American, Japanese and European cars). Unfortunately, the internet message boards tend to triple amplify the real scope of issues. Read in between the lines and judge by yourself.

Also, I have received excellent service from my selling Chevy dealer, so the positive experience has enhance the ownership of these cars over the last few years.
  • frankf3frankf3 Posts: 96
    Has anyone attempted or successfully installed the arc-type headlights in the Impala? I think they produce much more light. Are there any kits available to install this as an add-on?

khpchan - thanks for the heads up on the transmission. I am going to check my fluid now. My 2001 just clicked over 25,000 miles, I really couldn't afford to have transmission problems now, especially after the $ 2900 transmission job we had done on our '95 Olds Aurora.

Frank
  • hvan3hvan3 Posts: 630
    With 35,540 miles on my 2000 Impala LS, I decided it was time for new tire replacement. I could have gone for another 2K miles, but decided it was time for new tires. Currently, Costco is offering $60 off on Michelin and Bridgestone tires (4 tires). Sales end June 29. Instead of buying Michelin tires (too costly), I went with Bridgestone RE910 tires (225 x 60 x r16) for $85 (price include mounting and balance). With $60 off, my total cost including tax was $307. (Its comforting to know that the RE910 has 60K mile warranty).

I must say, the RE910 isn't exactly the quietest tires, but the handling is so superb! I never thougth my Impala can handle sharp cornering, but with these tires, man what a ride!! Furthermore, braking seems to be better with these threads. Of course, there is a tradeoff between quiet ride and cornering/handling. I chose performance ride over quiet ride. These RE910 threads are similar to my low profile tires that I used to have on my Honda Accord.

Anyway, one last thing I have to worry now. Since my car is now completely paid off, I planning on getting my radiator flush, and replace the transmission fluid, as well as replacing with new spark plugs. At first, I thought about selling my Impala, but now decided to keep this car until I hit 100K miles! Oh, if you live in CA, our governor has recently raised the car registration by 300%!! Ouch!

Also, I helped a friend move out of her dorm at UCLA. We were all very suprised as to how much cargo space the Impala has!! We had a fridge, 3 large suit cases, 4 boxes, and misc items all stashed in the Impala. Yet, the car still drives like a dream on the highway....
    Is something magical about 100k miles?

johnclineii, now at 124k
    29,298 vs. 13,451 May 2002 a 117% increase!!!

Even beat out the Honda Civic.

http://www.autosite.com/editoria/asmr/svsedan.asp
  • 2k_impala_ls2k_impala_ls Posts: 311
    has anyone seen the LSX. they sell alot of add-on parts for the Impala and Monte
    http://www.slpeng.com/vehicles/impala/index.shtml
  • nosirrahgnosirrahg Little Rock, ARPosts: 872
    I also had RE910s put on when my original issue Goodyears wore out (I think I changed mine at @ 45k miles, but I'm sure I don't deal with the same traffic situations here in AR that you deal with in CA). I agree that these tires improve the handling, and while they aren't whisper quiet, I found them to be far more quiet than the Goodyear GAs. I do think my gas mileage has suffered slightly with the Bridgestones (primarily on the highway), but only by a couple of MPG.

On a slightly related note, I had the carb rebuilt on my '82 F-350, and now get 11MPG vs. 8MPG before!!! Still a gas-guzzler by all measures, but %-wise a hugh increase - I never thought I'd see double-digit MPG figures in that beast!!
  • pluto5pluto5 Posts: 618
    Couldn't resist making the 12,000 post. My LS is now 7 mos. old with 4,600 miles. Can't drive it enough.
    Durn, I was waiting for that.
  • Just picked up my 2003 Impala LS and it did not come with a coin holder. Does anyone have the part number so I can order one? The dealer states that the coin holder is a thing of the past.. :(

Many thanks!
    Today I mailed the last payment on my Impala! Paid it off in just 27 months.
  • bh0001bh0001 Posts: 340
    Anyone out there put Cooper Touring SLE tires on their Impala LS? I'm finally able to justify dumping the Eagle GA garbage that came on the car. Any feedback on Cooper would be appreciated since I've never owned a set.

Thanks!
    Brad
    I think you would be much more impressed with the Michelin Harmonys.
  • ghostwolfghostwolf Posts: 91
    I am considering the Cooper GTZ for my next set of tires, mostly because they are made in the USA.

The set I have now are BF Goodrich Touring T/A VR4. They are made by Michelin. At the time I bought them I had no idea (or really cared) that they are French owned.

I'm not a xenophobe (and I know my Impala is put together in Canada.. at least its still North America, and not all Canadians hate us yet. I know its hard to buy *anything* made in the USA anymore) and I know the french could probably care less that I don't buy another set of their tires. But it makes me feel better to buy American (if not American then at least North American) than to support France in any way.

I can tell you that b4z is right about those Michelin's (based on my experience with BF Goodrich). They are good tires.

I have a few thousand miles to go on the tires I have but I am really looking into those Coopers trying to see how others like them.
    You'll be surprised to find out thatthe Impala has a number of French made parts in it...hint, hint...look for the "VALEO" seal on some parts in the engine compartment....
  • hvan3hvan3 Posts: 630
    I think Michelin tires are way overpriced. You can save easily $100 for a set of four if you go with other brands like Yokahamas, Bridgestones, Pirellis, and etc.
    I am VERY happy with my Dunlops...
  • pluto5pluto5 Posts: 618
    The South Koreans love us and their brand is just as good as Michelin brands at about half the cost. Actually, they are better than some of Michelin's Goodrich offerings.

BTW my Goodyear GA's are performing well. But I plan to replace them early since Goodyears do not wear well in my experience. Also using a winter tire so snow traction is not an issue.
  • I changed my headlight bulb to the xenon but didn't like them and changed back to the factory bulbs. They were too 'white' for me, however, my neighbor has them on his 2002 and swears by them.
    Is there any other bulb that will give more light
    w/o the 'stark white'?
    Is driving lights the answere??
    t-tookalook
  • Are the 2003 models plaqued with the engine cradle ticking issue?
    I was showing property Thursday with clients in the car and the airbag light flashed then stayed on.

After showing the next house I turned the car on and it flashed for awhile then disappeared.

This is a major safety item for me and I can't be driving this car with out a functioning airbag system.

I also don't want to spend anymore money on this car since it is 6,000 miles out of warranty.

The plastic intake manifold has me spooked as do the warped rotors that GM refused to fix several months ago.

I still have the vibrating exhaust system that buzzes the whole car under acceleration.

The Cadillac CTS is looking awfully good to me.

Thinking I am pretty much over the Impala and it may be gone by October if I can sell a few more houses between now and then.
    When one WANTS to get rid of a car, reasons are easy to find. As Click and Clack say, either keep everything fixed or get rid of it.

The air bag light is probably caused by the module connection under the seat needing a cleaning. Mine did that a couple of months ago. Dealer fixed it. Total cost to me: $0.00 Number of miles on odometer at the time: 100,000+ When the light is on, by the way, the airbags do NOT function. I was also told my habit of keeping things under the seat or allowing them to get there (newspapers, magazines, etc.) may have contributed to the problem.

Manifold? I have 125,000 miles now with no problems on a 2000. Vibrating exhaust? Any good shop could fix that in less than an hour.

Brakes? Never had a problem. I am on my third set of pads and second set of rotors, the latter of which were replaced after 100,000 miles. Type of driving I do? Largely the same as you, I am in a type of real estate as well and drive the car on business.

Want to get rid of the car? Fine. But don't be dissing Impalas. The same maker also makes the CTS. Will you be using the CTS in your business? Will it be large enough for that?

As for me, when the new Mazda6 hatches and wagons come out in the first quarter of next year, I will almost certainly be buying one. The niggling little cost cutting items that Lutz has done to the car since 2000 will be driving me away from GM. Yes, I drove a CTS. No, I won't be buying one. I have to have more rear seat headroom than the current Mazda6 sedan. Either the hatch or wagon should do that. A lot of real estate people round these parts drive wagons.

And the Impala may well have 175,000 miles on it by then. I doubt I will have any mechanical problems before then, but if I do I will either fix them or get rid of the car. I can't live with a car that has problems. Not, at least, when I can afford to have them fixed. Back when I was in high school and college the stories were far different, as were the old worn out cars I drove! :)