Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2005 and Earlier Chevrolet Impala

Comments

• charts2charts2 Posts: 618
    ....Importing cars from overseas is 1980's technology regardless of the UAW or CAFE etc.......GM is always following not leading. Honda, Toyota, Nissan, etc don't export many vehicles from Japan ....they developed their technology overseas, and build their top of the line cars in the USA...GM could do the same with their Holden division....they own it why not bring their technology to the USA...I wouldn't pay $4,000 freight costs to have a holden shipped 9000 miles. Holden uses the Corvette 5.7 that was developed in the USA....interesting.. Build Holdens here!! This is one reason Toyota USA car lines outsold all Ford and Chevrolet cars in July 2003...Look out Ford, GM and Daimler/Chrysler....smart thinking, light years ahead companies are taking advantage of your inability to compete....
  • b4zb4z Posts: 3,372
    impala has not been proven to be a great cop car.
    Transaxle problems, etc.
    Plus officers have to take suspect to front of car to cuff him.
    Trunk area is too tall.
    officers can't see back of car when backing due to no rear wing.
  • jpstaxjpstax Posts: 250
    Thanks for the info. I did a search for the new GM 3900 (LZ8) motor in Yahoo and found this link:

http://www.auto-report.net/index.html?gmpt05.html

I see the engine is normally aspirated, and GM estimates it will produce 240 horsepower, but only 245 foot-pounds of torque. Is that enough torque to propel an Impala to a 0-60 acceleration time equal to a supercharged 3800 Series II engine (~6.5 secs)? What about fuel efficiency?
    .....I have talked to a few officers in our city including my nephew who is a police officer, we have about 30% Impalas and the rest Crown Vics......some like them some don't......the 2000-2002 Police Impalas had week springs in the front and rear, since have been upgraded by Chevy. Our provincial police that patrol our busy highways in Ontario purchased 700 police Impalas in 2000, 2001 and 2002.....have since gone back to Crown Vics and a few Intrepids...most officers still prefer rear wheel drive and I believe the high front end maintenance costs outweigh the fuel savings for many departments.....I don't see any major changes coming for the current police Impala platform.....the car will be redesigned in less then two years when the 2006's come along...currently the Dodge Intrepid is cheaper then the Impala and many US departments have been purhasing a few of them....many large departments have recently purchased a mixture of Crown Vics and Impalas and or Intrepids....
       The Impala police or civilian versions also needs an under the hood light and stronger lighting in the trunk...my opinion......I like my 2001 LS but I can see where some changes were needed..
    Was the '94-96 Chevy caprice.
    4100-4200lbs. 260 hp. 0-60 was less than 8 seconds. Considered by many to be the fastest cop car also.
    Even faster than the Dodge and Plymouths of the early '70s with 440 engines.
    Caprice had 50 more hp than the Crown Vic.
    Was so popular that many Law Enforcement Agencies had the entire car rebuilt rather than buy a Crown Vic.
    Current Impala with 240 hp 3900 V6 would be quicker than old Caprice. 600 lbs lighter but only 20 less hp. A lot less torque, but gearing can make up for some of that.
    .....I agree the 94-96 Caprice 5.7 was an excellent police car....it had the interior size, comfort, and performance....but during the past few years police chases are becoming a thing of the past as liability costs mount....also so many cities today are more $$ wise with spending....there is a company that rebuilds the old Caprice police vehicles....they redo the engine and actually make it more powerful, replace the suspension, front seats, and other components that wear out......I believe it is about $8,000-$10,000 per vehicle, a lot cheaper then a new one...but they are now becoming dated where police departments are looking at the huge savings in fuel costs that smaller police vehicles offer...Crown vics have been plagued by the crash and burn problems with their exploding gas tanks....I believe that in the next few years Ford will bow out of the police market as they continue to be plagued by this negative news and mounting lawsuits....A perfect police vehicle would be a little larger then the current Impala with a v6 with another 40 to 50 hp...that is cheaper to operate then the current Crown Vic...
  • i woulda liked to see Holdens here...even as Chevys or Pontiacs or whatever GM brand..hey, FORD is even using nicer things inside their new cars, why not GM!?!

also, CHRYSLER and DODGE are now making nicer cars with help from MERCEDES-BENZ, just look at the new CHRYSLER 300C!
    I agree that high speed pursuits are becoming a thing of the past. The newer police radios have certainly helped with where to set up road blocks. However, you still need chase cars with enough speed to at least keep up with the bad guys. I really don't know what the answer is for an economical, fast, and reliable police vehicle for the future. Maybe GM, Ford, or Chrysler's design people can create such a vehicle. One thing's for sure, it should be as bullet proof (or rocket-propelled grenade proof) as possible. The latest terrorist attacks in Iraq seem to be showing that.
    Doesn't really come down to chases.
    Has a lot to do with speed enforcement.
    Officer needs to be able to catch up to that guy going 80 or even 100mph in a reasonable time.
    The quicker he catches him the safer it is(in most cases).

I'll never forget when I was on I-95 driving about 78 mph.
    I see this Volvo sedan coming up behind me at a ton. An easy 100 mph.
    He flew past us and literally 5-6 minutes later here comes a SC trooper in a Crown Vic. Came up fast behind me but would slow down when he got close to vehicles then speed up in areas were there were no cars.
    10-15 minutes later we come upon the Volvo and cop on the side of the road.
    The whole thing probably took at least 20 minutes.
    (Not the chase, but from the time the Volvo first passed me to the time we saw him on the side of the road.)
    I'm not saying I want cops driving 120-140 mph catching speeders, but a quick accelerating car can put a stop to a potential chase many times.
    ....RIGHT ON!!!!!!
    I agree with you on speeders. A fast cop car will usually catch up with a NASCAR wanabie. In my post I was referring to high speed chases of suspects who have committed robberies, or worse. A road block with some spike mats spread across the highway can sometimes be an effective way of stopping a fleeing car. I think we could probably argue for hours about the most effective, and safe, police techniques for catching speeders and criminals on the run. Am I right?
    Somebody out there must like these things.

262,000 made so far this year. Almost 50K more than last year.

Last month they made 25,000!
    magazine just tested one and got a 0-60 of 6.48 secs. Which is fast.

Fast enough to make me think that preproduction prototype had a balanced and blueprinted engine.

GM wouldn't do something like that?
    The best I heard was 6.8 to 60.....if thats true with a production engine that is fast for a large front wheel drive sedan.....I have done 7.7 in my 2001 LS...
    I bought a lexus LS400 on ebay Sunday. It will take about 10-14 days to ship it to my house.
    '95 LS 400 127K miles $9775.
    payment is over $200 less per month on shorter time than the Impala was.
    Doctor owned and well maintained. Nice tan leather. jade black exterior.

Refinanced the Impala also and dropped the payment by $200.
    Car is still in autotrader.
    Made a appointment today to have the driver's side seat leather redyed. $125 for that.
    Bought new floormats last month for $49.
    Have some paint touch up to do, and it should be ready to go.

Payments for both the Impala and Lexus are now the same as the Impala used to be by itself.
  • Ford ain't "giving up" on Police cars, and the fires were characterisitics of hard 70MPH rear end crashes. I have seen many carshes listed online and in the news wehre NO fires occured. This isn't a mere bump in the rear end, and is there any completely safe car at that kind of crash? Maybe a Sherman tank or NASCAR racer, but what government is going to pay for them?

The FWD cop car days are numbered anyway. Chrysler is dropping the Intrepid, and GM has a new RWD car platform coming.
  • hvan3hvan3 Posts: 630
    In February, my 2000 Impala LS will become 3 years old. I now have about 42,500 miles on it. I'm thinking of selling my Impala in January, and getting a preowned '92 or 93 SL500 convertible. It's always been my dream car. It'll be very hard for me to depart my Impala. It is such a great car! No problem since the warranty expired. Only major repair done on it was the ISS. My Impala has been such a workhorse. Hopefully, I'll get a chance to go up to the mountains twice (snowboarding) before I sell this great car!
  • I am an owner of a 93 Lumina (was new and I really enjoyed it for the most part). Have the opportunity to buy a 2003 Impala Base model, 3.4 with many options that take it up a notch for a decent price. It was a trade in from Budget Rentals with only 17K and more than 2 years left on the warranty . I like the way it drives (so Lumanesque), felt OK after reading reviews in the AAA magazine, but after finding the "problems" discussion group, I'm extremely nervous about buying this car. I was going to buy it next week but I'm really concerned about what I've read concerning the manifold, ISS, etc. I can't afford new cars often, so I need this one to be reliable and long term.
    Need some honesty here from you guys! Should I take the plunge, or look at other options? The concern here is the repair record and potential problems. Would it be better to look at a new 2004? Won't have the options the 2003 has and I can't seem to find any significant improvements on the new model.
     Also, what is the website for recalls on GM vehicles?
    Thanks, Jo
    What is the price?
    The Impala is a better car than the Lumina.
    Do the recall for the intake manifold and have them do the ISS lube kit and you should be fine.
  • The price is $19K Cdn without discounts (currently negotiating)
    Jo
  • pluto5pluto5 Posts: 618
    If you're nervous about buying used why not order a new base sedan? With dealer discount, mfg. rebate and GM card earnings (now rounded to higher thousand) you can get a new vehicle with full warranty for about the same as a retailed 03 used car.

For our friends in the snowbelt, TireRack has the Kumho winter tires for $60--they are quieter on dry pavement than the OEM Goodyears!
  • I just bought a new used 2000 Impala with 68,000 kms. I am looking for advice regarding the reliability, maintenance, recalls, and/or any comments relating to this vehicle. Thanks.
    Chris
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Posts: 2,287
    Well, my 2000 LS now has 142,000 miles (over 225,000 km). The only major repairs have been a headlight switch and an ignition switch...
  • I found a cool website that has all automotive recalls and bulletins for no charge. This is the address that will get you to the 2003 Impala info and you can take it from there.
    www.alldata.com/TSB/10/031019GN.html
    Jo
  • Loupie (Jo)
    My son bought a car that was from Budget, they
    order them by the Hundreds and they are
    not the same car as u get on the market. Also
    a friend had worked at Budget and he said the
    same thing. If you want to add accessories in all
    likly-hood they will not work.
    My son tried adding lights, different locks etc.,
    and they wouldn't work right. He found the
    wiring harness was different.
    I wouldn't. Go for the new one!
    Rodger
    t_tookalook@hotmail.com
  • I have a white 2001 Impala, and I'm thinking about painting the center taillight peice white also, has anyone ever done this? If so I would like to talk with you about the process you went through....
  • Go to impala hq.com. When you get to the site ,go to The how to section. There is a couple of way it has been done.
  • hvan3hvan3 Posts: 630
    Last week, my vendor took me out to lunch with his rented 2004 Impala. I must say, the quality on the 2004 seems much better than my 2000 Impala. The acceleration has a quicker response. The doors have a nice thumb sound when you close the doors. My vendor was very impress with the Impala. He mentioned it 3x about how nice the Impala drives. (I'm hearing this from a guy who owns a BMW 3 series convertible!!)

In our local paper here in the LA market, new 2004 Impala base model is selling for slightly less than $16K with MSRP of $22K.

Loupie:
    Go buy a new Impala! Impala has been the best vehicle I've owned...better than my previous Accord V6 EX and my father's Camry. Honest!!
  • Having just bought a 2000 Chev Impala I noticed a rattle or clunking in the front end. I could feel the clunking through the steering wheel. I asked the Dealer to check the vehicle and I am awaiting his response. Has anyone experienced this problem with their Impalas?
    Also, there appeared to be a anti-freeze leak from the intake manifold. Again the Dealer is checking the source of the leak. Is this an on-going problem with the 2000 Impala? Thanks for the feedback.
    Chris H