Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2005 and Earlier Chevrolet Impala

Comments

• hvan3hvan3 Posts: 630
    <<I could feel the clunking through the steering wheel.>>

It's either the ISS or the engine cradle. The ISS is very common among most GM cars. The engine cradle is specific to 2000 Impala.

<<Also, there appeared to be a anti-freeze leak from the intake manifold>>

There is a recall for this intake manifold.
  • I was originally in K.C., Mo. and am now in Ft. Myers, Fl. Bought my 2000 Carmine Red Impala on 9-9-99. I have over 45,000 miles (original). I'm planning on putting Michelin X1 tires on and since my original tires are only half worn, I'm lucky. The only problem I've had is the replacement of my battery with a Sears Diehard. I have no pops, no gallops, no front in rotary problems except I think when they rotated my tires that made them run backwards so with the noise that I'm getting from my tires, I'll replace them. So this 2000 dude is really preforming, no dents, no scratches and away I go. I keep it polished and it's show room clean.
    K-cid
  • I am looking to purchase and install a bra for the hood on my 2000 Chev Impala. Where can I purchase this item and how much do they cost?
    Chris
  • charts2charts2 Posts: 618
    I see you are from Canada.....go to your local Canadian Tire store at the parts counter....they have a catalogue with accessories....and I believe they offer a bra for the Impala.... $59.00 to $89.00 range I believe.......also go to your local Chevy dealer.....they offer them.....a little more expensive but probably fit better.....
  • fredvhfredvh Posts: 853
    You should check out clearbra.com also. This is a clear coating over the paint which, in my opinion, is better protection than the standard bra.
  • fredvhfredvh Posts: 853
    I am considering the Regal vs. the Impala LS. Does anyone have an opinion on one or the other? They seem to be approximately the same price for the way I want it equipped(3.8 with cloth interior, ABS,and bucket seats.
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Posts: 2,287
    Better drive both. They don't handle even remotely similarly. You will like one and not like the other nearly as well, if I am right...
  • crosley4crosley4 Posts: 295
    My sister-in-law bought a 2001 Regal while we had the 2000 Impala LS....

Way different road feel. The Buick still felt like the old-man's car.

The LS was firmer , but rides very well IMHO
  • regfootballregfootball Posts: 2,166
    have you given the Grand Prix a try?
  • b4zb4z Posts: 3,372
    The Impala has some improvements that the regal does not have.

The main one is that it has a 1 piece body ring stamping.

Open the back door of the regal and look down at the sill. You will see a joint where the 2 pieces come together and are welded. Same at the top of the door.

There are no welds or seams on the Impala.
    It is stronger and offers better crash protection.

The other difference is the Impala has a 1" longer wheelbase. Giving about 1" more rear legroom.

The Impala is 5" longer and has a bigger trunk.

The Impala is considered a full size and the Regal a mid size.
  • I have an '03 Imp and really like it. However,
    after ridding in the back seat a few times for
    1-2 hrs each time, I find the rear seat extremely
    unconfortable. The bench is too narrow and is
    not comfortably configured, and I'm only 6'.
    If you can, ride in the rear for at least an hour
    or more before u buy. Otherwise, I've had no
    trouble with this vehicle.
    t_tookalook@hotmail.com
    GM puts narrow bench seats in to give the appearence of more legroom.
    I think the seatbacks may be too vertical.
  • pluto5pluto5 Posts: 618
    I put a jacket on the seatback for lower back support but apparently few people base their purchasing decision on back seat comfort cause I found fault with just about every model I looked at including SUVs which have some incredibly bad back seats, e.g. Saturn Vue and Trailblazer.
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Posts: 2,287
    If anything, the back seat backrest is too reclined...and the seat itself is too short. The passenger seat in the front is even more uncomfortable than the back seat. And the radio's sound is all aimed at the driver. You find out all this stuff when you let someone else drive. There is a moral to this story, somewhere! :)
    Tahoes are not comfortable either.
  • suka_gsuka_g Posts: 11
    exactly what is the electronic overdrive option in the impala LS. Pardon my igorance here - but I've been searching the net and I can't figure it out.

This is different than the traction control that comes standard with the LS model, correct?
    There is no electronic overdrive option to my knowledge.
    All the cars come with 4 speed automatic overdrive transmissions.
    Did you guys notice that the 2004 Impalas with the 3.8L engine have had their hwy mileage uprated to 30 mpg?

00-01s were 30 mpg.
    02-03s were 29 mpg.
    04s are 30 mpg.
  • hvan3hvan3 Posts: 630
    My 00 Impala 3.8L has 29 MPG in the highway.
    I'll check my sticker and see what it says.
  • My 01 with 3.8 20 city 30 highway.
  • charlief1 Oct 13, 2003 11:13am
    Took 2002 LS back to dealer for noisy tachometer and ISS clunk. Dealer replaced instrument cluster and lubricated ISS per TB. Steering feels fine again. Noticed 2 things on instrument cluster. Temp gage only goes up to a little above what I would refer to as the 1/4 mark whereas the old cluster it ran about 1 notch below 1/2 mark (middle of full range). Don't know if that is going to be a problem or not. It does seem like not everything in cluster is lit up when lights are on. Can some of you look at your cluster when lights are on and tell me if the TEMP and FUEL lettering on left side bottom is lit up? None of the lettering near bottom in center (TRIP HOLD TO RESET and message about applying brake to shift) and on right (MESSAGE CENTER) are lit up either. Is that normal? Thanks.
    Mine has ben making noise again for some time. Even hough I had the IP replaced in March.
    I drove my Imp today for the first time in 5 days. Took it to the upholstery shop to get the seat redyed.
    The steering s so much firmer than Lexus.
    The lexus has really light steering at slow speeds. I much prefer the Impala's steering.
  • b4z Dec 4, 2003 11:55am
    b4z,If you have an LS did you check what lights up on your instrument cluster. In particular do the words TEMP and FUEL light up in left hand area of cluster?
    Thanks.
    i will check when I get it back from the upholstery shop this afternoon.
  • kolt1kolt1 Posts: 25
    I currently own a &#146;91 Chevy Lumina APV with 138,000+ miles on the odo. Within the next 8-10 months, I will probably purchase a new vehicle (I enjoy researching and test drives). Besides other GM vehicles, I have owned Fords, Chryslers, Mazdas, Subarus, and Hyundais. I have to admit that if I were to buy today, it probably would be a Mazda MPV (although they have had issues with a transmission hard shift between 2-3). The reason I&#146;m posting in this forum is that I am also considering purchasing an Impala (family and friends say I no longer need a van, but I really like the versatility of a mini van).

Since the reliability of GM vehicles is a one of the topics discussed here, I thought I would share my experience with my APV.

I purchased the van in 10/91 from a Chevy dealer. I bought it through GM&#146;s &#145;Purchase Plan&#146; (GM sold it to a rental company then bought it from them and sold it at auction to one of their dealers). Total cost of the vehicle, including TTL, was $14,841.00. It had a little over 13,000 miles on it when I drove it home and the remainder of the 36mo/3yr. warranty. It had very few options (A/C, privacy glass, AM/FM cassette, roof rack, premium sound system). I firmly believe in KISS (Keep It Simple, Stupid). The more options you have, the more problems you&#146;ll have.

When the van had a little over 50,000 miles on the odo, it left my family (wife and 3 sons) and I stranded on the final leg of a vacation trip to Myrtle Beach. About 100 miles from our destination, the van started &#145;bucking&#146;, almost like it was going to stall. When we were about 3 blocks from our hotel, it died. A faulty ignition coil wire was the culprit. The cost to fix it was less than $300.00 (including towing). Even though that may sound reasonable, I felt it was a bit &#145;salty&#146;. I had a feeling that it was going to be &#145;expensive&#146; when I walked into the Myrtle Beach Chevy dealership&#146;s customer waiting room and saw GQ Magazine on the table. I have to admit that the dealership diagnosed the problem immediately and fixed it promptly (2-3 hours). BTW, the vacation was probably one of our best (after the fix, of course).

Other fixes:
    Rear Brake Cylinder 60,000+ miles
    Alternator 99,000+ miles
    Frt. Rotors Turned 99,000+ miles
    Water Pump 109,000+miles
    Replace Radiator 122,000+miles
    Brake Hoses Various mileage (these were detected by my mechanic during various annual inspections)
    Replace Headliner 138,000+miles

The total cost for all of the above fixes, including the ignition coil wire, totaled $1,100.00, +/- a few dollars.

Maintenance Schedule:
    Oil + Filter Every 3,000 miles (religiously with Gastrol 5W &#150;30 and AC Delco filters)
    Trans. Fluid Every 30,000 miles
    Air Filter Every 30,000 miles
    PCV Valve Every 30,000 miles
    Cooling System Flush
    and Refill Every 30,000 miles

As you can see, I&#146;ve had &#145;some&#146; problems, but nothing out of the ordinary (okay, it did leave us stranded in
    Myrtle Beach, but it was only 3 blocks from the hotel and I forgave it for that years ago). If I could buy a new
    vehicle today and be guaranteed the same reliability as my APV, I would buy it in a&#146; heartbeat&#146; (remember the old
    Chevy commercials?)
    Now some of you may be asking why am I in the market for a new vehicle. One word, cautious. As my van gets closer to 150,000 miles, I am becoming very cautious. My wife and I frequently take the van on 400+ mile trips throughout the year, and she is deathly afraid of being stranded &#145;again&#146; (she&#146;s not as forgiving as me). But as you can see from the documentation above, GM has done alright by me. In fact, I would have to say that my van of plastic has been &#145;fantastic&#146;! As a matter of fact, I believe all of the Big Three have made enormous strides in product reliability. And if and when I do have to say goodbye to the &#145;magic bus&#146;, I will definitely have a tear in my eye.
    Your maintenace costs are less than the average.
    And noticeably lower than my sister's '89 Honda with 170,000 miles. Which includes a junkyard replacement engine and non working A/C.
    You need to get rid of that minivan TODAY!.

I have 51K on my '01 Impala LS.
    MY out of warranty expense so far was a right front wheel bearing assembly that cost 556.00.
    It was probably bad under warranty but I did not catch the symptoms.

You can buy a fromer rental car Impala dirt cheap.

Or you can go with a full boat LS with leather and fold down rear seat. Heated seats, etc for about 22K.
    Remember there is a $3500 rebate right now which will be going away soon. You should be able to get about $5500 off of MSRP.

The car gets excellent mileage on the highway.
    30 mpg is not uncommon.

My two reoccurring problems have been the noise in the front suspension and the tachometer making a scraping sound. That is almost inaudible but I hear it.
    There is a $4000 rebate on Impalas now!!

Guess Chevrolet is gunning to overtake the Taurus this year.
  • kolt1kolt1 Posts: 25
    $4000.00 rebate?? Not too shabby. But this APV just keeps going and going and going. I'd be really ticked if I go and buy a new LS and one year from now I'm running back to the dealer for the ISS or the intake manifold or the ticking tachometer or the faulty gas guage, etc. If I'm going to have problems, I'd rather have them with a vehicle that I don't have a $250.00 to $300.00 monthly payment. If I'm anything...it's frugal.