Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2005 and Earlier Chevrolet Impala

Comments

• geezr2geezr2 Posts: 7
    Lelandl,that sounds like a good buy to me.I think you'll like the car a lot.Also the Impala has a better reliability record than most other GM cars,except for the Buick Century,and Regal.We looked at Centurys,but they have no split folding rear seat,at least on the ones we saw,so that was off our list right away.We got a base Impala euipped nicely ,and it s been great so far,despite the severe winter weather we've had all month.

Hi Tom.Glad to hear you're still so happy with your Imp.My only regret is not looking around for an almost new LS,as it comes with features I would have liked.

my only beefs with our car,are the summer windshield wipers,which are just not up to winter use,not the car's fault! Also who designed the glove box? No light in there,and stuff falls out when you open it.I miss a dome light in the middle of the roof.It would make it easier to read the CD's i keep in the arnrest console thingy.

Niggling aside this is a solid roomy quiet comfortable car,that is surprisingly good on gas.

2 thunbs up from us!
    Ric :o)
  • b4zb4z Posts: 3,372
    I know what you meant about the Impala being around since 2000(model year), but it actually appeared in April 1999!
    April 2004 will be the 6th April it has been available.
    Time flies.
    it really is time for an update.
    plus it took GM way too long to make the side mouldings body color.

My Lexus will be sold and I may be driving the Impala until i sell it and buy a Tahoe.
    Or may just keep the Impala and it's $218.00 mo. payment.
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Posts: 2,287
    Well, my Impala was purchased in October 1999, and has 147,000 miles on it. It is probably going to be replaced with a Ford Five Hundred this fall....
  • charts2charts2 Posts: 618
    .....Its too bad you couldn't wait to see what the new Impala will look like next year.....probably debut at the 2005 Detroit auto show.
    I just came from Detroit 2004, and drove the Impala both ways from wittle old West Virginia. Waiting til this fall is pushing it enough!
  • 33chevy33chevy Posts: 28
    Hearing some bad reports on the original coolant that comes in GM cars. There is a class action case against GM because of problems it has caused and they are gathering data from owners who have had problems with it. Go to Google and type in Dexcool and read some real horror stories. From a car talk show I listen to GM sez when replacing it you have to make the 50/50 mix with distilled water only. Local water minerals may react to it. People are draining, flushing and going back to Prestone...I know of one City Police Dept that uses a Fleetguard product Part # CC 2825 that is factory premixed.They put it in all Impalas after they have flushed out the now nicknamed "Death Cool". I know others have said don't go by the 5 year 150k miles that GM sez. Change it every three years instead. Our 2000 impala LS has 40k miles on road since Feb. 2000. Dex-Cool will come out this spring....doubt Dex-Cool will be going back in. I did have the manifold bolt recall done plus the GM sealing pellets put in as part of that recall. Any other stories out there regarding Dex-Cool?
  • Had the radiator flushed as recommended in my '00 Malibu LS early last fall (now with almost 61K miles), and it was replaced with same. No problems. Had the 3.1L intake manifold gaskets replaced(same time as the gaskets), which they now have a fix for, so personally, and friendly, I'd say stick with the Dex or suffer the consequences.

I've heard stories of the Dex being the problem with the 3.1s and 3.4s.
    147,000 miles here. Dexcool flushed out, Replaced with Dexcool. I don't believe internet fantasies. You can if you wish...
  • johnclineii, was that the original Dex Cool from factory?
    What engine do you have?
    Did you have the infamous 'lower intake' gasket leak?
    The original Dexcool was flushed at 90.000 miles when the car was about 2 years old.

I have had no leaks of any kind. I did have the recall performed.

I have the 3800.
  • is leaving us, after years, for a Ford 500.

Without seeing the new Buick LaCrosse.

Miss ya, but do think a Malibu Maxx is up your alley. I'm hopin.
    Nope. No way, no how.

Saw one at the NAIAS in Detroit. Too little cargo capacity. Interior wasn't even up to the standards set by Nissan Altima. I also found the cargo capacity sorely lacking.

Before the show, I was very interested in the 2005 Subaru Outback/Legacy wagon. They had 2004 of both at the show, and a 2005 Legacy wagon. Rear footroom was pathetic. Crossed it off my list.

I don't KNOW that I am buying a Five Hundred. I will test drive them when they come out. But for now, that vehicle looks the most promising.

Ironically, the ONLY GM product I found remotely interesting was the Cobalt sedan. The G6 had rear seat head room suitable for low age humans only.

From what I have seen of Lutz and his cost cutting moves (the Impala I sat in at the show didn't even have a tach!), I doubt I am interested in ANY GM product. Well, I like the DTS, but I am not spending that kind of money on a C-A-R (or even a T-R-U-C-K, which is what the new Outback will be).
    I am kind of interested in a Dodge Magnum/Chrysler 300.
    Also looking at a Tahoe or SRX for the tax write off.
    Doubtful that I would go with another Impala.
    Although I have been enjoying driving it since
    i got the tranny fixed.
  • Better hurry.

The idiot that created it isn't going to be around much longer.
    So why are these two posts from those of us who aren't considering Impala very seriously next time here?

Good question, glad you asked.

Both of us were rabid Impala fans.

Mine has given me GREAT service...147,400 miles, nothing more than a headlight switch, an ignition switch and normal wear and tear articles like tires and struts (NOT water pumps or alternators or even battery...all of which is still original).

I would not want another Impala largely because of Lutz's cost cutting on small stuff in the interior (glove box locks/light, coin holder, PRNDL lit indicator on console, seat back pockets, etc.) seems indicative to me of more cost cutting I can't see in areas I care about MUCH more.

Not even considering Impala this time. It's a great car. I just happen to like my 2000 better than the 2004's I see out there...not to mention what was a great car in 2000 is a good car in 2004, not great...

Plus I have come to a point where I want a little better interior than the Impala (and even the new Maxx) delivers...
  • chevyguy657,

Your political ignorance is showing...
  • Were still running out 1996 Lumina with the small V-6 in it. Just about to hit 140,000 miles were thinking of selling it and buying a new Impala in the spring. The Lumina is reliable as can be. I just drove it to FL a 600 mile trip down and 600 back. I'd drive it to California tomorrow and not think a thing about it. Only work has been trannie rebuild, a camshaft sensor, and the leaking manifold gasket. Everything else has been normal. I love this car. I see a few problems on the Impala stated here. Any opinions or making the move?
    My Impala has 147.4k miles on it right now.

It's a 2000. I have driven many Luminas. You got great service from yours.

I think you will be very pleased. You obviously take care of your cars. For the most part, Impalas are about as bullet proof as they come, save for some steering (ISS) problems (which my car never had and should be solved by now).

Enjoy!
  • pluto5pluto5 Posts: 618
    I have a '97 Lumina and an '03 Imp and both are very good vehicles IMO. Best GM products seem to come out of the Oshawa and these two models are excellent values new or used; you can order a new Imp for about the same price as a Honda Civic if you have GM card credits.
    The Impala is a better car than the Lumina, at least dynamically. I don't know about reliability.
    I had a Intrigue that was not built in oshawa and the Impala is far superior to the Intrigue.
    Has been available for Many years. 2 years ago it was about 22K.
    Last year is when it went way up. Seems unnecessary to me since the 22K was more than enough for my purposes.
    We try to keep political discussions out of Townhall.
  • tsjaytsjay Posts: 4,591
    What are you guys talking about?

Tom
  • jons01jons01 Posts: 59
    Hi guys,

It's been awhile since I last posted, but now I need a little info. My '01 LS has been a great car so far, with just new rotors and the bolt recall. We now have snow on the roads here in MD and today while pulling out my driveway the messge came up "Service Traction Control". Also the light "No Traction Control" came on as well as the ABS light.

I have not yet driven the car again and do not know what it will do.

Any experience with this ? Should I get to a shop soon ? Thanks for any info.
    You probably need an ABS sensor. I have heard of this happening...Until it is fixed, you probably have neither ABS nor traction control. Strangely, when MINE came on, I needed an air bag sensor module..but my dealer merely cleaned it and it has been okay ever since (this was over two years and 50,000 miles ago!)
    Several posts ago I mentioned that I would probably not buy another Impala.
    I was looking at either keeping my Impala or buying a Tahoe.
    I am self employed and use my vehicle for business purposes.
    Any vehicle that has a GVWR of 6,000lbs or more allows you to take a huge tax write off.
    I think it is somewhere between $50-75,000.
    If you decided to take all of it in one year it is the same as taking your income from $75,000 down to $25,000(just an example).
    If you take it all in one year then sell the vehicle you have to pay recapture.

You don't think that people are driving big SUV's because they actually like them, did you? LOL.
  • bh0001bh0001 Posts: 340
    I had that happen once last (??) winter. I pulled over to the side of the road, turned off the car, waited about 30 seconds, and started it again. Everything reset no problem, and I haven't had it again since.

My theory is that, like any other computer, the system just hiccuped and needed to re-boot. So far my car has yet to prove me wrong.
    Brad
  • bh0001bh0001 Posts: 340
    I had a '98 Lumina before my '01 Impala LS. I really liked the Lumina (very reliable, no problems at all), but I absolutely LOVE my Impala. Much nicer drive, more power, better brakes, nicer interior, etc etc etc.

Granted, my Lumina brakes held up better than the Impala brakes, but I think that's because I drive the Impala much harder than I drove the Lumina. The Impala just begs to be driven with your foot to the floor - both gas and brake!

Right now it's snowing like crazy here in Ontario, and I have absolutely no qualms about taking my traction-controlled ABS Impala out for a spin. I find it very stable and predictible in the snow (at least now that I got rid of the Goodyear GA's).

I've experienced a few of the problems discussed here (ISS, warped rotors, headlight switch failure) and a few other more unusual problems (ABS component in the steering wheel) but nothing has diminished my love and enthusiasm for this car.

Maybe it's just cognitive dissonance ;-)
    Brad
  • tsjaytsjay Posts: 4,591
    Thanks for the explanation.

Tom
  • frankf3frankf3 Posts: 96
    33chevy - I had some problems with dexcool. It was in the '97 Chevy S-10 P/U I had before I traded it in for my 2001 Impala. The '97 was 3 years old and had 45,000 on the clock, never had any cooling system work done. All of a sudden I had no heat from the heater in the middle of our New England winters. The heater core had plugged with deposits. The dealer said "neglect" was the problem and would not cover it even through I had the extended warranty. I tried to explain to him that it was neither over 5 years old nor was it over 150,000 miles as advertised. I was told that driving habits and usage vary??!!?? So now that my 2001 Impala is 3 years old and has 37,000 miles, I plan to bring it in first thing this spring (provided it lasts that long) to have the cooling system flushed and changed. That advertised 5 year/150,000 antifreeze life seems like a scam!

Frank
  • charts2charts2 Posts: 618
    .....Frankf3........cooling system problem! not covered by your warranty!! So you not only paid to have this expensive warranty you paid to have this repair fixed!.......I still can't believe that someone would walk away from a service manager when you know yourself you should be covered by this warranty that you paid for!!If you were afraid to pursue the issue with him, you should have gone to another Chevy dealership or notified the dealership owner, or area GM rep.....I can't believe people don't pursue their legal rights!!....I would have never bought another GM product if I got this treatment.....maybe thats why GMs market share is less then 29% when only a few years ago they had 50% of the market...but they continue to make $$ because a few people pay for expensive extended warranties and let a service manager BS them that they are not covered. The extended warranty is only a scam if you let it be a scam.