Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2005 and Earlier Chevrolet Impala

Comments

• Yes I am very serious. I felt that the 06 interior was cheap with appearance and materials. The interior of the 06 had heavy use of fake wood panels eveywhere on the dash. One big wide wood panel on the glove box didn't appeal to me at all. The headliner material felt that it would tear easily. This turned me off immediately. Comparing my 01 LS to the 06 LT my car I felt was better with appearance and use of materials. Im not saying that the older Impala's have the ultimate best, but that my initial reaction stepping into the 06 was of a negative feel knowing what my car had to offer. I have no set preference on any type of style interior. Im just comparing what Chevy offered on the older Impala's to the new 06 model. I felt that Chevy went out of their way to cut costs any which way they could, just like what they did to the older Impala's getting rid of the Impala name on the doors of the LS models, getting rid of the shift indicators on the gear panel display on the center console, getting rid of the coin holder, just to name a few. My opinion is what I felt initially seeing the new 06, feeling it, and using it. Sorry that we don't agree, but just because I didnt like it and you do, doesn't mean that everyone has to feel like I do. Different tastes, different expectations, all makes for interesting conversation.
    The 06 that I drove did have the 3.9 like I originally mentioned, not the 3.5. I took pictures of the 06 outside and in, and took pics under the hood too. I wish I was able to upload a few of them here, but I guess its not to be. I did mention in my original post how the car handled great. Yes it had power, and any power difference between my car with the 3.8 and the 06 with the 3.9 was not noticeable at all. The 3.9 was not supercharged.
    Hopefully many of you here soon will test drive the new Impala, and post your feelings and opinions.
    Best Regards.
  • charts2charts2 Posts: 618
    The 2006 Impala LT comes with the 3.5 but can be ordered with the 3.9. The 3.9 is now the engine used in the Impala Police package. The metal strip that runs across the base of the trunk lid is attached by emblem tape.
  • bigjaybigjay Posts: 26
    With all do respect,at $32k, what were you expecting? If you're so picky, buy a better car! Nobody said the '06 Impala was a "perfect" car! It is a neat idea, a better design than the previous one ( I know, I own an '01 LS) and a pretty good value.

As far a durability goes, it can stand up to anything that the Japanese are building (Again, I would know. My 4 yr old LS has 135,000 trouble free miles on it). With choices of a potent 240 hp V6 or a ground pounding 303 hp V8, it has plenty of poop! It has great trunk space, decent interior room and it is nearly silent inside at speed.

In short, it is a better car than the Accord, Camry, Kia Sonata, and many others. These ARE the Impala's competition...not the 325i, the A4, the W8 Passat, and the like. Chevy is, and has always been, a mid priced, mid market car. Chevy has never been a "genuine wood trim" brand.

Comments like: "The headliner material felt that it would tear easily"..."Chevy went out of their way to cut costs any which way they could"...are assumptions.

You also said: "The car handled great. Yes it had power, and any power difference between my car with the 3.8 and the 06 with the 3.9 was not noticeable at all." Are you kidding? The "06 LTZ (240hp V6) kicked the pants off my '01 LS!!

Now, in fairness, you also said: "My opinion is what I felt initially seeing the new 06, feeling it, and using it. Sorry that we don't agree, but just because I didnt like it and you do, doesn't mean that everyone has to feel like I do. Different tastes, different expectations, all makes for interesting conversation."

Now, that I can agree with!
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Posts: 2,287
    Cost cutting is rampant in this segment, as it has to be to price the cars the way they are priced. I got a Five Hundred (I liked the AWD and high seating position, not to mention the CVT) to replace my faithful 00 Impala LS (which had 173,000 miles on it) and among the many cost cutting measures are a mast antenna instead of in glass, no glove box light, no inside marker lights on any of the doors, visor mirrors that look like they belong on a Playmobile set, a prop rod for the hood and of course, that same simulated wood on the dash. Not to mention the engine is the same 3.0 Duratech found in many Tauri.

(The saved money presumably went into Volvo levels of safety, the Haldex AWD system, the CVT transmission, and pricing the car in the mid to high twenties instead of mid to high thirties).

If you want all this stuff as it used to be these days, you are going to have to move up to Lexus, Acura, Infinity or Cadillac. And you will pay for it.

There is no such thing as a free lunch.
  • frankf3frankf3 Posts: 96
    I had a great ride today!! While on vacation in York, Pennsylvania with my family my 2001 Impala LS started to give me problems. Whenever I wanted to accelerate on the interstate the gas pedal would feel spongy and there would be nothing there. Not good when you pull out to pass someone. It got so bad that I started to hear ratchet wrench type noises from under the hood. I pulled into a larger Chevy dealer in York PA (Apple Chevrolet) to get it checked out. I was amazed at their efficiency. They found that the catalytic convertor had failed and was preventing the engine from reving up. It was so bad that the engine would not allow the transmission to downshift to pass.
    While I was there getting the car repaired, I noticed they had a Black 2006 Chevy Impala SS with the 5.3L V8. The salesman asked if I wanted to take it for a drive - I told him I would love to. I think the salesman was itching to take it out also. As they put a plate on it and my family packed in, the salesman asked where we were going on sight seeing. We told him and he drove us out about 20 minutes away to find our next stop. We then switched and I got to drive it the 20 minute trip back. WHAT A SWEET RIDE!! As you accelerate you can hear the mellow rumble of exhaust. The engine is as sooth as silk. There is no perceptible difference in the number of cylinders being used as part of the "Displacement on Demand" system as it switches from 8 to 6 to 4 cylinders. As we just idled along the back roads, we could not tell it was running in 4 cylinder mode. The window sticker listed I think 24 - 28 mpg for mileage.
    Reality set in when we finished the trip. The dealer gave us a quote for our 2001 Impala LS with 54000 on the clock. They offered us 7000 for our Impala and took that off of the window sticker of the 2006 Impala SS. They said we would be one of the first people to own one on the Eastern seaboard. Although it had lots of options, 8 speaker BOSE sound system, sunroof, leather seats, heated seats, XM radio and of course the 5.3 L V8, I could not go for the deal. Maybe another one will come my way.
    The emissions warranty took care of the catalytic problem and I was on my way free of charge after just 1 1/2 - 2 hours at the dealer!
  • vanman1vanman1 Posts: 1,397
    I'm surprised by your comments also. I sat in a 06 SS a couple of weeks ago and the car looks superb, well assembled and of good quality materials.

Main reason I stopped looking at the current Impala when we bought last was the poor dash. This car to me seems far superior. From what I have heard about the drive, I can't imagine I would be disappointed when I do test one.
    The new Impala is a winner. That was said back in 99 also when that Impala platform was first introduced. I took an LS out in August 99, I thought at the time it was light years ahead of the competion, but it aged quickly (my opinion) ..it went 2 years too long. Some might disagree. The car market today moves much faster then even 2 or 3 years ago. This new car will have to keep ugrading or will also become what the 00-05 Impala is to some now. I am not being negative.

I don't always go with the flow. I am a critic. We all know major improvements were made with this new car over the last generation Impala. Improvements were made in power, quality, fit/finish, brakes, etc. Why? because car analysts and critics continually pointed out the weak spots of the model 00-05. GM listened. If too many people keep saying all positives about this new car, then change will come a lot slower when it has to. For too many years the big three never listened to the public, they made cars that they believed we wanted. Today US car manufactures listen more to the public about change then ever before. They have to. I believe the new Impala will do very well, even better then the 00-05 models. I, like a few others thought that maybe they didn't go far enough. Some indicate they believed the LTZ/SS car should have climate control, underhood/glovebox lighting, etc. As options maybe (moveable peddles, or memory seats/mirrors for the LTZ/SS) The 2007 might ad a couple of these features to keep the car fresh. If car analysts, car testers & critics, don't keep pointing out changes they would like to see, the competition will blow right by! 2006 Impala. Thankyou GM for finally listening to people who like changes. If no one ever complained about their cars we would still be driving black model T's.
    The new '06 Impala is great! I have put a deposit down on a Black on Tan SS and wil take delivery on August 30th. I am waiting for an escrow to close at the end of the month and will take delivery then.

In the meantime, "my car" is sitting on the showroom floor as a static demo. I am letting the dealer show it, but no test drives! I did drive it last week. It's nice, very nice. It has "professional image" without being pretentious or showy. It also has great entertainment value when one drives it.

It also has one other thing that some of the competition doesn't have: It has the elusive "oooohhh factor." People see it, recognize what it is, check out the fit and finish and stand there and say: "oooohhhh!"

I reeeeally that!
  • batistabatista Posts: 159
    I cannot get more than 2 years (15K miles) out of my 01 Impala without having the ISS lubed?
    How long is the lube lasting in your Impalas?
    Is this the normal rate?
    I read in another forum a GM mechanic saying that the new revised ISS are also coming back for repair. That is why I will opt for the lube.
    You would think the 06 Impalas would have this problem fixed but knowing GM probably not.
    I put 173,000 miles on my 00 Impala LS. The ISS was never touched....
    John I know you got lucky with your Impala. But it also may be that you do a lot of highway driving. My car is driven only in the city which means more turns and to get to work I park on a multi-level parking lot which means lots of right and left turning.
    This may dry out the ISS or put more wear on it.
    You are probably right. I did and do about 90 percent of my driving on the highway.

And I was among the very few (from appearances here, anyway) who did not have ISS trouble. Especially on a 00.

By the way, for those interested, the Five Hundred (mine) is now out of warranty, as of earlier this week...
    I had the ISS lubed on my Intrigue once at around 2 1/2 years. It's been fine for 3+ years now though I figure I may have to get it done once more in my time with it.
    Congrats on the new 2006 SS. Sharp car, I like the 2006's more and more now that I see them on the road. Saw a shiny white LTZ yesterday at the train station, beauty.

Nice of you to let the dealer keep showing your car. I'm not sure I would be so kind.

;-)
  • Has anyone had a chance to drive one of the new 9C1 2006 Impalas yet? I'm very curious to see how they compare up against the 3.8 in the current model (especially since I'm getting ready to order one for my work car!). Heard the jury is still out on putting the LS4 in the 9C1 for 2007... We've got one guy so far over on NewImpala.Com that has received a '06, but he got the base model 3.5 and it's really not a comparison. He posted some really nice exterior & interior pics though, was neat looking at those.... Our webhost has a SS on order so we'll get full info on it when he takes delivery in a few weeks.
    It's not a problem... I'm getting the car for invoice while other dealers are charging full sticker plus mark up. I am buying a 'Burb at the same time and they are taking $11 grand off the invoice on that one too. In the meantime, they're holding both cars for me until my RE Escrow closes. After all that kindness, It's the least I can do for them!
    There was a thread on here (somewhere) that talked about the zero to sixty times on the new Impala SS. I wish I could find it again to add these findings...

On www.thecarconnection.com there is an article about the new SS and they claim it is hitting zero to 60 times in 5.7 seconds!?!?! Consider the following quote:

"For V-8 fans (and who isn't?) best news is the delightful new Impala SS, which returns legendary small-block Chevy power to the once-legendary Impala nameplate for the first time since last decade's huge, blimp-like rear-drive Impalas. This all-aluminum 5.3-liter sweetheart pumps out a healthy 303 hp and 323 lb-ft, launches the 3712-lb SS to 60 mph in 5.7 sec. and -- partly thanks to GM's Displacement on Demand (DOD) cylinder deactivation technology - delivers a very decent 18 mpg city, 28 mpg highway EPA economy."

Ummm... I dunno about that. I am a big fan of this new car. I've driven it and in fact, I plan to but one next week. But 0 to 60 in 5.7 seconds? The car scoots along pretty well, but it just didn't feel "that" fast! Felt more like upper 6 seconds.

Sub six second 0 to 60 times are the natural habitat of some truly fast production cars, ie: MB E500, BMW 545, even the Hemi powered Chrysler 300C. The SS certainly gets up and goes, but it just didn't "feel" like those other cars.

I wonder where they got those numbers?
  • jcooleyjcooley Posts: 46
    The Edmunds TMV for an 2006 Impala in my area is pretty much half way between the invoice and MSRP. If some dealers are charging a MSRP premium and some charge invoice it looks like the TMV may just be an average of the final price depending if you are good haggler or not. Good luck on you new vehicles.
  • Your ISS story is similar to mine. My 01 Impala needed the lube after two years. Now it needs it every 18 months. It's expensive and annoying. I was going to the dealership for the service, and am now looking for a less expensive alternative. In my opinion, the lube is a band-aid fix to a defect and I am annoyed to have to pay Chevy every 18 months to correct it. I have never had another car that ever needed regular steering column lubrication. Any other lower cost alternatives to the lubing procedure?
    I just had my ISS lubed and it cost me $125 CDN and the service advisor told me that I will need my steering rack replaced in the next year or two. I don't know if I will keep this car if I have to pay $1000+ to fix it. I can handle the $125 every 1-2 years but not a steering rack every 5 years. Apparently the steering rack will start to leak fluid or it already has a very minor leak. He wasn't very clear in his explanation. Maybe you can get away with lubing it a couple of times before the rack needs to be replaced.
    GM was replacing steering racks before they had this lube fix. I don't know if the service advisor is just trying to get some business for the dealership.
    After the lubing the car handles and feels much better. I don't feel the effects of bumps on the road and the car is much quieter.
  • nosirrahgnosirrahg Little Rock, ARPosts: 872
    I had the ISS lubed on my 2000 Impala early on, and as I remember the fix involved drilling a hole into the assembly, threading the hole, and putting what I assumed to be a standard grease fitting on so they could shoot lube into the ISS. I haven't actually looked around for this grease fitting (don't know if it'd be under the dash or under the hood for that matter), and I don't know what type of grease it would use...but if the fitting is easy to get to and it doesn't require some special type of lubricant (or connection), you could probably go to your neighborhood auto parts shop and buy a grease gun and the lube for a few bucks. It might be worth asking the service advisor to show you exactly what they did to fix the ISS and see if they can point out the grease fitting and ask specifically about what they used to lube it, then check into doing it yourself. Just a thought; there could be other reasons NOT to do this yourself - but if the warranty is gone it might be worth trying.
  • road46road46 Posts: 18
    First and only real problem so far with my 04 Impala was rotor pulsation. Took it into dealer under warranty and they replaced both rear rotors and one rear drivers side hub at no charge. The hub was not mating to the rotor correctly and this contributed to the pulsation. This car now stops as smooth as silk. Rotors were de laminating, I imagine some of that was from our severe winters we have in upstate new york state, also the car was built in Oct 03 and I purchased new in jan 2004. This could have contributed to some rust on rotors. No other problems to report, all in all this is a great car. I am getting 30-33 mpg on highway trips w 3.4 engine and I feel alot safer going down the road knowing this car has a 5 star frontal crash rating. Saw a 2006 Impala 2 weeks ago on I-95 in Maine and liked the new exterior styling.
  • The License plate bulb on my 2002 Impala needs
    to be replaced and I would like to do it myself.
    My owner's manual does not give directions for
    doing this, it simply tells me to go to a
    dealership.

Isn't this something that I should be able to do
    myself? I've seached on-line and have been
    unable to find directions. Can anyone tell me
    how to do it or direct me to somewhere I can find
    instructions?
  • bh628bh628 Posts: 100
    Hi, I just did a very lengthy review of auto transports. It's at bh628, "Car Transport Companies" #42, 5 Sep 2005 12:17 pm

Maybe it will help someone on this list.
    I replaced the license plate bulbs on my 2000 Impala about a year ago; I don't remember too many specifics, but basically if you crawl under the car you might have to unscrew a screw or two, but it isn't very difficult at all. As I recall I first pulled out the bad bulb and then went and bought the new bulb, which came in a package of two...the process was simple enough that I just went ahead and replaced both bulbs, figuring if I just replaced the one the other would have burned out within a few weeks, and I'd only have to do it again. If it were daylight at the moment I'd go crawl under mine and look, but I think when you get under there and look, it should be pretty obvious how to go about removing the old bulb and putting in the new one.
  • I have an 03 Impala with 38k. A clicking noise can be heard when making turns at 10-20 mph, or when turning the steering wheel slightly when stationary. The dealer has looked at this 2-3 times while under warranty, and could not find a problem....saying that all Impala's make a slight clicking sound.
    Steering is fine, no wander, no steering wheel problems. Just the clicking noise that is starting to occur more often. Did not occur when car was new. Did not have this problem with my 01 Impala.
    Any help?
    mst52
    If the sound is more of a high pitched, "ticking" or "creaking" type sound (sort of like the sounds an engine makes when it's cooling down, but tied to steering inputs), it is probably related to the aluminium engine cradle. There were complaints about this early on in the 2000 Impalas, and it seems like a few folks either had cracks in welds, or had shims or other repairs done to rectify things. As I recall mine made those noises early on, but at the time I was parking in a deck which amplified the sounds. I never had any weld or other problems, and am approaching 85k miles with no cradle-related issues.

I wonder though...I haven't followed much on the new 2006 Impala (since I won't be in the market for another 2-3 years), but does this new model also use an aluminum engine cradle? Might be telling to see if Chevy kept with that strategy or not.
  • I just received a letter from the recall dept of GM informing me that there are problems with the catalytic converters in the Impala's with both engines 3.4 and 3.8 2000 to 2005. The letter mentions that the car could loose power due to the catalytic converter failing, and that Chevy will fix the problem if anyone experiences this issue for 10 yrs or 120,000 miles whichever comes first free from the original date of purchase.
    Well this exact problem happened to me a month ago where I lost all power trying to accelerate from a stop. Chevy replaced the converter under my extended warranty, and now my 01 LS has full power. There were no issues leading up to this problem. It just happened unexpectantly by complete surprise. A bit scary when you are flooring the accelerator and the car goes no where.
    Letting everyone know so all are aware if this happens to you.
    I have a 2001 LS also and got the same letter just last week (I live in Ontario Canada)...I have been having the same symtoms as you. I plan on taking the car in in the next week or so.
  • toby07toby07 Posts: 6
    we have a 2003 impala with 26000 on it we have gotten the same noise went to the dealer he said that there is a bullinton on it the grease fitting between the 2 shafts on the steering rods they loose the grease so they fixed it they had the same problems with all gm cars and truck