Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2005 and Earlier Chevrolet Impala

Comments

• I'm having a weird problem with my 2001 LS. This started this past weekend. When you have the key in the iginition and doors opened, there is no audio warning .. no chimes, no bells. Start the car, and put on the raido... No audio. Activate Onstar, no audio, try turning off The Traction control where you hear the four chimes, nothing, no chimes, no yellow traction control icon display. When everything is right, the yellow traction control icon lights up indicating that its off, but nothing. Up till this afternoon,this stayed where no audio at all. I was driving when I just turned on the radio to see what happens, and wala ... sound. I tried the onstar, that worked, the traction control was able to turn off with audio chimes and yellow icon displaying on dash as its suppose to be. I parked the car leaving the key in the ignition and opened the drivers door and bells, BUT... the bells seemed to be a little distorted and it seemed to fade and come back intermittently, then suddenly it stopped. I turned on the radio and no audio, no onstar audio, no traction control chimes when turning off.
    Has anyone gone thru this ? If so what was the fix? I have an appointment for service on Thursday with my Chevy dealer, and I'm still under extended warranty which ends next month.
    Any advice on what could be causing this is much appreciated. Thanks.
  • btmarkbtmark Posts: 3
    I've posted this in the Radio part of the forum, and gotten no response. With Chevy not wanting to help me, I figured I'd turn to this (more active) side of the forum.

My radio just plain doesn't work. One day, I was listening to my music (loud, but not painstakingly loud), and all of a sudden, it made a noise like someone pulled a plug.

If I turn the car off, it'll come back on (sometimes) for a good 2-5 minutes, then do the exact same thing.

Anyone experienced this problem before, and if so, what the heck should I do?
  • nosirrahgnosirrahg Posts: 870
    Sounds like the last two posts are related...I think all the warning sounds/chimes (and maybe even the turn signal "tick tock" sound) all come through the speaker of the car. Does the radio work in both cases, but with no sound? If the radio comes on/functions, but there's no sound, and if things like the traction control tone or the turn signal don't make noise, then the problem is somehow speaker (or amp) related, I'd say.
  • Well today (Thursday) I went to my Chevy dealer for them to look at this issue regarding loosing all audio warnings to any feature in the car that involved having audio. They found the BCM ( Body Control Module ) defective with a short code. They replaced the BCM and programmed it, which took a half hour to do, and now all is back to normal. One thing I want to mention. Under the trunk lid is a paper glued with all three number & letter codes ( Many ). DONT REMOVE IT. During the course of the programming the new BCM, the service tech had to check to see if a code was posted for that particular part of the reprogram. If it wasnt, then he would proceed to the next step of the reprogram. ( This is like installing programs on your computer ). After all the steps were done, there was a ten minute wait while the BCM configured all the codes. After ten minutes, there was a prompt that said "Program Successful". Once I was given the car, I had to redo all the personal settings, oil reset, tire pressure level etc. All is fine now and its great to hear bells, music, chimes, and even the Onstar Computer voice.
  • I recently had electrical/battery troubles with 2000 Impala. Replaced the battery three times in less than one year. I ended up stranded with no electrical on a Sunday morning. Before towing in, roadside service tried a jump and every noise described above (and many more) came through the radio speakers.

The Chevy dealership called the next day and told me nothing wrong as car started up and no computer codes showed up. Left the car there two days, same thing. When I picked up that evening, would not start. The solution was a new positive battery cable.
  • I have a 2002 LS with the same problem @ 55,000 miles. The dealer said it would cost aprox. $950.00 to replace steering system....said they have had more steering problems with Impalas than other GM models..they said they've tried to repair but problem comes back, only way to correct is to replace...they said my problem will only get worse until I have to get it fixed.
  • Ask the dealer to quote you the price to do the "short term" lube fix to the ISS. I can't remember when I had mine done on my 2000 model, but it was at least 3-4 years ago and the problem hasn't returned. Based on my experience (and assuming the lube fix is MUCH less expensive), I'd give that a shot first and see if it works, and if not you can always bite the bullet and get the whole thing replaced later. As I recall the fix basically just involves tapping a grease fitting into the shaft and filling it full of lube, so virtually no money on parts involved, and maybe an hour of labor max.
  • I am new to this forum and have read several messages regarding hesitation, but have not seen one that duplicates my problem. I have a 2000 Chevy Impala LS with the 3.8 liter engine which hesitates and jerks when accelerating between 40-60 mph. I took it to the dealer and he changed the "throttle position sensor" and the problem is still there. They want to change the torque converter clutch for roughly $800.00. The car has 68000 miles on it and I am hesitant to put that much money in it, as I have had very poor luck with the American cars I have owned that have over 60,000 miles on them. My question is-does this solution seem reasonable, or does anyone have any other ideas about this problem? Thank you for your help.
  • Seems like some folks have had problems associated with clogged catalytic conveters that involved stalling; you might check that angle (which would also be covered under warranty, most likely).
  • The auto dim rearview mirror on my 2000 Impala LS has stopped working. I have checked the fuses and have not found any blown/bad ones. I have even reseated a few in case they had a bad contact. Does anyone have a wiring diagram or an indication of what I should find on the wires going to the mirror so I can track it down with a meter? I looks like there are 5 wires going to it. The mirror does not have onstar on it and only has buttons for turning on the auto-dim mirror and the 2 map lights.

thanks
  • Did your mirror stop all at once, or did it sort of fade away over time? I just replaced mine two days ago (2000 Impala); it had gradually quit working - was fine for a couple of years, then it quit working towards the top & bottom (with a band in the middle that worked), which eventually diminished to nothing.

Do your map lights still work? If they do and the autodimmer doesn't, then I'd say the problem may be your mirror. It's easy enough to replace, but kind of expensive (I paid $160 at the dealership here, but installed it myself).

If you're not getting power to the map lights either, then your problem is probably more along the lines of a short or blown fuse.
  • The mirror just stopped one day - all of a sudden nothing. The map lights still work so it appears to be getting some power, but I figureed with 5 wires, one may be a bad signal from the BCM or something like that.
    :sick:
  • Well, I've been searching on the internet and I think I found the wires and their functions.

Dark Blue/White = Retained Accessory Power +12
    Black = Ground
    Grey = Switched Interior Lights to BCM
    Brown = +12V Ignition
    Light Green = Reverse Lights

If I had to take a guess, I would think it would be due to the +12V Ignition or the reverse light wires since the map lights are working.
  • I recently bought a 2001 Impala. The tire monitor light on the dash came on the other day because one of my tires had lost pressure. No problem, right? Well, now I can't reset it. I've tried the following: With the key in the "acc" position, hold the disp button on the radio until "settings" is displayed. Then, using the seek buttons, select tire monitor and reset it. The only problem is that Tire Mon is not one of the options in my menu. Is it possible that the dealer could have at one point disabled this with his scanner? I've also had suggestions to try turning the headlights to parking-lights, off, parking lights, off, parking lights within 5 seconds and to simply press a reset switch in the interior fuse panel - but neither of those worked. I can't even find a switch inside my fuse panel...I assume this is because the car is equipped with the RDS. Someone please help - the light is driving me nuts!!

I've had the same problem. Disconnect the positive battery cable and reconnect. You will lose your radio station presets, etc., but it will reset the tire pressure light.
  • jmdean88jmdean88 Posts: 1
    Does anyone know the type of light bulbs that are in the interior of a 2004 impala?
  • Well for starters you can read the owners manual and every bulb thats used in the vehicle is listed. Which bulbs are you trying to find out about? If you dont have a manual, I do, and I can look up the bulb type and number for you.
  • Has anyone experienced speedometer problems with an 05 Impala LS. The first sign of trouble showed up the first time I drove the car for over an hour. I was on the freeway, going with the flow when I looked down to see that according to the speedo I was going 120 MPH. It then continued to do a 360 and come alll the way around and back to 40 mph. The dealer said they were having a lot of problems with the speedos and that I needed a new one. They said they ordered it and for me to come in to get it replaced. Then they said the speedo was ent out to be repaired. When I got the car back I thought it was ok. Then it got dark and I could see all the warning lights collecting ambient light from the speedo, blinkers etc. They said the place that repaired it didn't put a filter back in. Then I was driving down the road and saw a police cruiser ahead and naturaly looked down to check my speed, which said 48 mph. I was in a 45 MPH zone so I was not concerned until I saw the lights come on and I got a ticket for 60 MPH. I later had my wife get in her car and via cell phones I verified that when my speedo said 48 mph, hers said 60 mph. Testing from 5 mph up to sixty mph showed that the faster I went, the firhter it was off. I took it into the dealer who said they did a GPS test on it and it was only 4 mph off and thats not enough for the warranty to fix it. I said I checked the car myself against 2 other cars and got the same discrepency of the speedo reading 48 mph when two other cars said sixty. They then said they would do the same test, however they did not let me accompany them in my car while they "tested it" Anyone have any ideas??? Thanks
  • charts2charts2 Posts: 618
    Get a second opinion. Go to another Chevy Dealership if one is nearby. Have the technician take it for a test drive, not just on a dyno.
  • jons01jons01 Posts: 59
    I want to change the air filter in my '01 LS with the 3.8 engine, and wonder how difficult it would be. Has anyone ever done this and what is the procedure?

Thanks
  • batistabatista Posts: 159
    It's a pain in the [non-permissible content removed]. It's way too tight to get the old one out and the new one in. I change mine once a year and don't look forward to changing it.
    Make sure you wear latex gloves since I always get cuts when inserting the new one.
    No brainer in the procedure. Remove the metal tabs and push the intake hose forward.
  • batistabatista Posts: 159
    Does anybody know what causes a "ding" like noise when accelerating from approx. 25mph to 40mph? I believe the car is shifting from 2 to 3 and the muffler might be the cause. The car only has 30K miles and do mufflers go bad this early?
    It is a royal pain changing the air filter. Many GM service departments do not check the filter when one of these 00-05 Impalas goes in for oil change and a 30 point inspection but they mark it off that it has been checked. I am sure there are many Impalas driving around with extremely dirty filters. Its a 20 minute job but it is aggrevating. Its also aggrevating changing the battery. It fits extremely tight. The more you can do yourself the better.
    Thanks, guys for the info. I did a quick check to see for myself and it does seem almost impossible to make enough room to get a filter through. Do you think the cover could be pried open with a bar or something? I hate to have to pay for a job that the owner should be able to do!

I will post the results of my efforts.
  • tommy42tommy42 Posts: 70
    Go impala h q. com.Go to section on how to. It has step by step on how to change.
  • nosirrahgnosirrahg Posts: 870
    Consider replacing your filter with a K&N filter...rather than replacing a paper filter once or twice a year, you can pop in a K&N and not worry about it for something like 50k miles (may be more, I honestly don't remember). I've basically dealt with the air filter on my 2000 Impala twice; once when I installed the K&N early on, and again last year when I pulled it and "recharged" the filter (cleaned and re-oiled). Even if you don't believe their claims about increased horsepower and such, not having to replace the filter regularly is worth the extra expense.
    After much effort, I got the air filter changed today. A large screwdriver really helped to pry open the air box cover. I considered the K&N but will only put about 2500 miles a year on the Impala now that I am retired - should have done it 5 years ago.
  • I have a 2002 impala and am having problems with the traction control. At first the traction control didn't engage that much. Now, in the last few weeks it seems like it comes on a lot more. When I pull out of a parking lot, when I turn out of a parking space, and so on. I'm not gunning it or anything like that. Any help or suggestions would greatly be appreciated.
  • where it the sensor located on the impalas. I know it has to be around the coolant imput and output but I can't seem to find it. Also would this have anything to do with the problem that I mentioned in #13154?
    I have a 2001 Impala LS. The traction control for the past 3 years comes on prematurely as yours does. I don't think its anything to worry about. Its probably a weak sensor.
  • Our 2001 Impala LS has 75K miles . Recently the overhead meassge center (gas mileage,miles ,temperature,etc, ) has not come on when starting the car. In addition the AC/Heat blower does not come on and the cruise control doesn't work. After no specific time(somtimes 2 minutes ,sometimes 10 minutes),it all starts to work? This is our second Impala and we have been very happy with both. We are about to trade for a new car ,but I would like to find out about this problem first to avoid being "Screwed" on my trade in price. I recently had a Stroke and I cannot get out there and trouble shoot like I used to. We certainly can't afford to take it to a dealer and let them put it to us either.If I can get a good idea of what the problem is,then I can know if they are putting it to me. Please help me with this problem? Thank you very much.