Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2005 and Earlier Chevrolet Impala

Comments

• nosirrahgnosirrahg Little Rock, ARPosts: 872
    Have you replaced your tires recently, OR are you due a tire change? I found as my original tires began to wear, my traction control kicked on much more often, especially if there was any moisture on the road, and/or I was accelerating up an incline from a standing start. My 2nd set of tires were a more sporty Bridgestone tire, and I found them to have much more grip than the original Goodyears, but they too began to spin more as they wore down. I put on a third set of tires (counting the original set) last summer, and opted to get a more touring-oriented tire (w/longer mileage warranty, figuring I'd take a less aggressive tire this time around, so when I sell it in a couple of years it will still have plenty of tire tread left). My current tires ride well (quieter than the previous two sets), and wet braking is good (and gas mileage might have improved marginally too)...but these tires are MUCH more prone to spinning at takeoff. I had to get accustomed to taking it easy when pulling off, because these tires will spin (kicking in the traction control) with very little provocation.

So, if the problem has gradually gotten worse and you haven't replaced your tires, that could be the problem. And if you've changed to a different tire (especially a less-aggressive tread design) that could be part of the problem too.

FWIW I was surprised when I first got my 2000 Impala at how more often my traction control kicked in versus the ABS. Granted ABS might be more important in a life-saving situation, but day in and day out I bet my traction control has kicked in 10x as often as the ABS (generally in slippery/sandy/wet/icy conditions).
  • Our 2004 Impala map lights, rear seat lights and trunk light did not come on one night, then next night worked OK now nothing again. Front floor (under dash lights work OK) might be a fuse? not sure any ideas?
  • :lemon: I got a keyless entry FOB from a friend of mine who had an extra one from when he worked at a car dealership. He told me I could look online for directions to program it. I tried, but it didn't work. I am guessing it is because my radio is 'locked'. I recently had a salvaged BCM installed in my vehicle and because it's not programmed properly for my vehicle, my radio has locked up, my airbag, service vehicle soon light and check engine light are on. Some of these problems were masked by my faulty BCM. I was told in order for my alarm to quit going off every time I open the door to my vehicle is to program the radio. I tried programming it from directions given to me by my mechanic (non-dealership) and it didn't work. I wanted to find out if anyone knows or has heard of ways to program a salvaged BCM without going to the dealership and getting ripped off. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. :sick:
  • charts2charts2 Posts: 618
    I also put new tires on my car and the traction control activates as often as before. I have heard that this is a common problem with many of the 00-05s.
  • I put in new 20A fuse lights worked ok for 2 days now fuse blown again. Anybody got an idea where to start looking??
  • mitzijmitzij Posts: 612
    You need a dealer to program the BCM to match your car. Your remote won't program properly until the BCM matches the car. SES and Airbag lights may be separate problems.

There are dealerships that don't rip people off. Call around, get an estimate to program your BCM, unlock your radio, and check the SES light. There will be separate charges for each as they are all separate problems. Some dealers will unlock a radio one time for free.

If your alarm is aftermarket, expect to pay more. Aftermarket alarms are a pain in the rear to work around.
  • rafalkrafalk Posts: 1
    Own a 2000LS. Thinking of putting an intake (mainly for mpg reasons and a small boost in acc.) any recomendations?
  • I bought my Impala Second hand, and somewhere along the line, most likely from lack of use, the external key lock for the trunk became seized and the trunk no open soley by pressing the trunk release button located under the dash.. this dosent bother me in the slightest however, for some reason this button only works when the key is in the igntion.. this is bothersome for me, especialy beacause I had an aftermarket keyless entry installed, wich operated the doors fine, but again, the trunk button on the remote only works when the the key is in the ignition, thus making it useless.. I seem to remeber reading that the option to have the button work when the vehicle was off was one of the programable features available (like the door locks and headlight timmers ect.) but I cannot seem to find it now.. does anyone know if this is the case? does anyone have this problem or better yet, dose anyone have a 2002 impala with a trunk release button that works when the vehicle is off? or has anyone found a solution.. i've even tried conecting the trunk release button directly to 12 volt power and still notthing.. it must run throught the computer somehow..
    I have a 2000 Impala, and I'm almost certain I can open my trunk with the dash button whether the key is in the ignition or not.

If it's a programming option, you can access that through your radio; I can't recall all the options there, but I do know there's an option to reset things back to factory settings, which might do the trick.
  • Your problem could be solved two ways. One... go into your settings on your rds radio .... you may have to reset your settings to factory default. If this doesnt work, then most likely you may have to have your BCM reprogrammed. I own the 2001 LS and my trunk release works no matter if the key is in the ignition or not. Sounds more likely a BCM issue. All your settings for all your accessories are programmed into that computer board. I know ... Ive been there with audio issues a few months ago.
  • I have an '03 LS with the Sports Appearance Package. Just recently, I started having an issue when using the key FOB to unlock/lock the car and open the trunk. If I use the FOB to either unlock the car or trunk, the reverse lights and headlights come on and flash like they're supposed to, but they never stop now. If I enter the car, I can hear a clicking, similar to what you'd hear if a relay was engaging/disengaging. They only way out of this condition is to turn the car onto the ACCESSORY or ON position. It stops the clicking and turns the lights off.

Any suggestions please?
  • jmedlin6jmedlin6 Posts: 6
    Ok I am not sure if this is normal or not. I just bought an 05 impala (3.4L) a few weeks ago. I didn't really take notice to the noise when I was test driving the car. It seems like when I press the accelerator slowly it sounds like I can hear fuel being pushed through the line. The noise seems to be coming from the passenger side of the engine compartment. I am assuming that that the line runs on that side of the vehicle. I saw a service bulletin stating that w/ the 3.4l that the fuel line is noisy and makes a whistling noise.
  • raxelsonjrraxelsonjr Posts: 1
    Does anyone know the location of the DRL module in the 2000 Impala? Thanks.
  • blokieblokie Posts: 5
    HI There,
    does anyone know the correct size of the torx headed bolt that holds the caliper on, on both the front and rear brakes.

THanks in advance
    Chris
  • blokieblokie Posts: 5
    Hi There,
    silly [non-permissible content removed] me! they are hex heads not torx, no wonder nobody was answering me
  • sc00bssc00bs Posts: 87
    that is my question.

I really like the way this car drove during a recent test drive. My questions are this:

1. 3.4 or 3.8??? I certianly do not need a race car but am concerned with the longevity of the engine.

2. What year is the most reliable? I was thinking about 02-05 models. I would like to stay away from the 00 and 01's as they seem to be the most plauged with problems.

3. The prices on edmunds seem inflated to me. There are several lots in my area that have 05 Base Models with 20k miles on them for WAY under what edmunds is listing as dealer retail. For instance, a base model 05 impala is listed on edmunds for 14482. Dealerships have them listed for 11,000 (and im guessing you could go lower than that through negotiations). 04 base models can be found with about 30k on them and around 8900 asking price. What is a good price on these cars?? I am not getting a good picture by using edmunds.

Thanks
    Given a choice I'd probably go for the 3.8...not only for the proven engine, but also you should get things like traction control and such with the 3.8 that you don't get with the 3.4.

I've got a 2000 model, and it really hasn't been that bad...I mean yes I had the ISS problem, and the intake manifold problem, and a few other things, but overall it's been no less reliable in 93k miles than the '89 Toyota I had before it.
  • rbraserbrase Posts: 9
    I have a 2004 Impala with 80K - the check engine light came on this morning while I was driving to work. Then the engine started to hesitate ( I was driving at 60 mph and the engine would sputter and then catch again ). I live in Dallas, TX and the gasoline was recently blended with 10 percent ethanol. I wonder if it has something to do with the ethanol or if water got in my fuel system or if this is a fuel pump/fuel filter problem.

Help.

Thanks,
    Randy
    You said: Given a choice I'd probably go for the 3.8..I've got a 2000 model, and it really hasn't been that bad.

I say: YIKES!!! I test drove some of the 05's today, they had about 23k on them and were base models. Most certainly found the 3.4L to be under powered (of course I just had test drove a Nissan Altima with the 3.5 engine and that could be why the Impala felt so sluggish and ick, the altima literally jumped off a dead stop even with light pressure on the pedal. The thing was really speedy and kind of scared me with the power it had. I could not imagine driving one in the snow, but I digress).

One other thing that bothered me. The noise. That car on the highway sounded like a wind tunnel. I was not impressed at all. My tracker with convertible top is just as noisy as those Impalas. I drove a 2000 model (rental car) a while back and it most certainly did NOT sound like that car. The trim on the interior of one was falling out along the back. The stereo sounded HORRIBLE!!!!

This has really put me off on buying a GM car. What the heck happen????
  • 06blksrt806blksrt8 Posts: 57
    I don't know if anyone is a collector but Eagle Automall/Chevrolet in Long Island NY, has a 96 SS that's signed by Dale Earnhardt Sr., it was sold by Earnhardt Chevy, has 27,000 original miles, all the build sheet and original paperwork. It looks mint, just thought I'd let everyone know.
    If you're looking at used Impalas, there's something to be said for buying a one-owner used car versus a rental/fleet car. I've had NO interior problems at all (other than the light bulb that illuminates the passenger side temp control, and the "TRAF" button on the radio). And exterior-wise the only problems I've had have been self-inflicted (backing into my own truck one day didn't help!! :blush: ). If the interior/exterior looks abused, you can bet the oil hasn't been changed religiously with Mobil-1!!

If you're worried about driving in snow, find a 3.8 Impala and give it a try; we don't get much snow here, but with the traction control that comes with the 3.8, I've passed Merecedes going uphill in the snow who were struggling to make it, and I effortlessly cruised around them.

Biggest noise problem with these Impalas seems to be tire related, so if one you drive sounds particularly loud check the tires to see if they're a very agressive (or very worn) tire. Admittedly my dad bought a new GMC Sierra crew cab which I drove last weekend, and it seemed much quieter than either my Chevy or my Honda. Whether that's a factor of it being brand new, or whether all GM vehicles in general have improved since the 2000 model I don't know...I know given a choice for road trips, my family far prefers my Impala over our '03 Accord - it's quieter and far more comfortable. The only reason I ever drive the Accord is every weekend or so to go top it off with gas for my wife, fortunately the nearest gas station is only a mile away!!
    I will have to hunt down a 3.8L (they are extremely rare beasts around here it seems, lol). I was just very sad when I drove them because I had loved driving that rental car back a few years ago. Thanks for the tips I will keep those in mind.

I have found a few Grand Prix's with the 3.8L engine and may have to test out one of those (I did notice that the GP has more options than the Impala, but im one who tends to say the more options the more problems, lol).

My other option was actually going to be a Honda, lol. Do you find that your Honda is more, the same, or less reliable than your Chevy?? I like the GM's because they seem more spacious than the Honda's but... its worth asking about.
    The Honda only has 35k miles versus the Impala's 93k, so not an apples to apples comparison in terms of reliability. The Accord (an '03) has had some brake pad problems, and we also had a problem with one of the windows squealing...both problems have been dealt with by the dealer under warranty, but I wouldn't say either was resolved to my satisfaction. I suspect the Honda will prove to be more reliable than the Chevy in the long run, but on the other hand I paid about $2k less for the Chevy and got many more features (V6, traction control, dual zone AC, etc.) than on the Honda.

I personally can't get comfortable in the Honda. Leg room is fine, but it's hip & shoulder room where the Impala really trumps the Accord. I've got the bench seat/column shifter in my Impala, which really opens up the car in terms of leg room and such; I feel very confined in the Honda.

Other quibbles about the Honda...the steering wheel mounted radio/cruise buttons don't light up as they do in the Impala, which makes it VERY difficult to use these at night (especially if you're accustomed to driving the Impala, and you THINK you're adjusting the volume when you're ACTUALLY increasing the speed on the cruise control of the Honda!!). As much as I thought the Impala sunroof looked odd the way it pops out of the car, I think this may actually be a better design because when the sunroof is closed, it sort of works like a cork to keep water out. The Honda sunroof drops inside the roof, and we think it may have leaked in a recent deluge (didn't see any water, but the car smelt very funky for a few days afterwards). Seats are much more comfortable in my Impala too; part of that may be due to the power seat adjusters on my Impala that allow me to raise/lower the front and back of the seat separately, whereas the Honda adjuster just moves the whole seat up and down. My Impala interior (gray cloth) has held up better IMHO than the Honda (tan cloth). The Honda seems to show dirt/stains more, and I think it will probably look pretty ratty by the time it reaches the mileage I'm at in the Impala.

Finally, we haven't been impressed with the gas mileage of the Accord 4-cylinder. Overall it only averages about 2-3 mpg better than my 3.8 Impala in basically the same types of driving conditions, which for the added power/size/comfort/safety of the Impala seems worth it.

I've had my Impala for 6 years now, and even though I'm officially at the point that I could justify trading it for something else, I can't bring myself to get rid of it. My plan now is to drive it at least two more years, partially in hopes of there being some better drivetrain alternatives from GM (hybrids).
  • sjf17xsjf17x Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Impala LS. Recently I've been noticing a constant humming noise only when the car is accelerating and or at a constant speed. The RPMs fluctuate from what I can tell as normal, but the more acceleration there is the louder the noise and it only lowers as the car is coming to a stop. The tires are less than a year old and are kept at right pressure. Possibly need to be rotated but I'm convinced it isnt the tires themselves. Havent taken it in to a dealership yet. Just had the catalytic converter replaced about 6 months ago. Havent noticed any problems with the drive of the car.. just the noise. Any thoughts?
    Check your power steering fluid level...I had a similar problem, which I thought was a transmission noise, but I found if the car was moving and put into neutral, the pitch of the sound changed with revs of the engine, not the speed of the car. Fortunately my only problem was low power steering fluid; once that was topped off the problem was solved.
  • jhavignjhavign Posts: 20
    I have a 2000 Impala LS and the gas guage is going crazy. When I called the dealer for a gas tank sending unit, I was told that it was a complete unit with the fuel pump and everything for over $400. Anyone else have to change this?
  • I have the same problem with my 01 LS. I have not had the repair done. I just zero out the trip odometer and keep track by mileage.
  • Have your converter checked. GM should pay for it, they are aware that there are problems with it.
  • Same issue here on a 2002 Impala with 58K miles. Any feedback on the fix?
  • Hello!

Could anyone advise me as to the best and coolest running thermostat to use in my 2004 impala 3.4???

THANKS! Wheelgunner!