Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2005 and Earlier Chevrolet Impala

Comments

• garypengarypen Posts: 1,482
    That seat heater sounds nice.
    OTOH, I'm gonna put the top down for the ride home tonight. A little ZZ Top on the stereo. Oh yeah.
    If I was driving the Impala, I'd have the moon roof open. (Or, is it a sun roof? What's the difference, anyway?)
    That black, sticky vinyl sounds great, especially in Florida. Just make sure you're wearing shorts!
  • hvan3hvan3 Posts: 630
    My Impala has the WORST leather seats I have ever sat on. I don't even consider it leather. Yuck!
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Posts: 2,287
    I much prefer cloth in my cars, but I must say of the many US and foreign cars I have driven and ridden in in the past years, the Chevy Impala cloth is the LEAST impressive. It reminds me of mousefur. Not even good mousefur. Mr. Lutz, are you listening?
  • duraflexduraflex Posts: 358
    Just as qualities of cloth and leather vary, so does vinyl and some of it IMHO was very good - especially the heavier, slighty textured, not so shiny "naugehyde" type products.

At classic/antique car shows, I have seen cars of the 20s, 30s and 40s with unrestored cloth interiors that still looked great decades after they were made. Have also seen cars of the 60s and 70s that had some very nice original vinyl that almost looks like new today. On the other hand I've seen some original old leather of the same vintage that is cracked, weather, dried and/or discolored.

As everyone knows, car interior temperatures run great extremes from literally sub-zero to well over a 100 degrees Fahrenheit. Many cars sit in bright sun year after soaking gobs of damaging UV light. Whatever the interior components are made of, it's a very demanding situation.
  • moff3206moff3206 Posts: 13
    50048 miles and the Impala is in the shop while they tear down the tranny and advise me of what's wrong. I will update when I get the call.
  • teoteo Posts: 2,508
    What happened to your tranny?
  • hggrayhggray Posts: 24
    The way I read the GMPowertrain.com L36 engine summary, the upper intake manifold on the C, H, and W bodied cars are "composite" (nice new word for plastic...)
    Ok, I missed that part of the info on the GMpowertrain web page. According to them, the F-body cars equipped with the 3800 V6 (Camaro Coupe 3800)have full upper and lower Cast Aluminum intake manifolds.

On the W-body car applications, the Upper intake manifold is "Composite" (Thermal plastic) and the lower manifold is made of "High Silicon Molybdenum, Cast Nodular Iron".

I am afraid that a lot of cars today are using Thermal Plastics for critical engine parts, not just GM.

In the 3.4L V6 engine found in the Impala base, the upper and lower intake manifolds are made of Cast Aluminun.

My only sort of beef with the 3.4L engine is that the cylinder head is made of Aluminum whereas in the 3800 is made of Cast Iron.
  • I got ahold of superchips.com over the phone today and asked them if they got a chip for our cars. They said they're suppose to have one later on this year, around summer time.
    Chris
  • roderacerroderacer Posts: 311
    What is the difference between a sunroof and a moonroof?

Sunroof is the generic term used to describe an operable panel in a vehicle roof which can let in light and/or air. Moonroof is a term created by Ford in the 70's, yet is now used generically to describe glass panel inbuilt electric sunroofs.

There you have it. Ford had to open it's mouth
    to confuse everyone.

Tomatoes - tomatoes

Steve
  • roderacerroderacer Posts: 311
    can't take the credit for that explanation. props to www.sunroofs.org (seriously)
  • tpkentpken Posts: 1,108
    I see the April issue of Motor Trend is reporting that the Holden Commodore SS is now approved to become the next Impala SS with 5.7L 6 spd manual.
  • 00impala00impala Posts: 474
    the Solid Metal one that slid into the roof, and Sunroof was the Glass Panel ones? I can see that the Glass serves dual purpose, letting some light in while closed at least... Don
    Moonroof = Sliding glass
    Sunroof = Metal sliding cover.

I could be wrong.
    What does moonroofs.org have to say about this? I like to get both points of view.
    I'll check Targa.net or cabriolet.org first.
    I think you may be correct.

Is it only me, or do others dislike the fact that the glass slab slides back over the roof, instead of into the roof? It looks fine from inside the car, but I hate the way it looks from outside.
    My '97 2.5TL Moonroof used to slide inside the roof. My '95 Integra's used to slide outside and over the roof.

The only advantage of the Integra/Impala setting is that you have a bit more headroom vs having the panel slide inside the roof.

Have you seen the one in the Mercedes C-class coupe?